• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 99
Posts: 99   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14538 times and has 98 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background contest - "At the docks" edition [RESULTS POSTED] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:
This month's theme is "At The Docks". Your portrait background should convey a scene that you might see while standing on the arrival area of an island in the game. The view can be facing out to sea or in towards the island; you can do dock, jetty, wharf, imagine the ships docked there if you wish; you can stick with the scrub grass and sand of a quiet island, or the paving and buildings of a busier island. There's great variety in the in-game islands, when you look at the dock areas where you arrive - take inspiration from any of them!

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail. (It may also be worth including your pirate name in your file name in this situation as well!)

Note: updated instructions for tags in summary field
Please put "dockscontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|portraittitle}}
where "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"portraittitle" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background (no spaces)

e.g. {{dockscontest|Apollo|Luckysun|ChatCircles}}
or {{dockscontest|Cassopia|Whitenose|IslandView}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{dockscontest|Apollo|Apollo|ChatCircles}}

If there are any problems with this approach (other than complexity) that you spot, please let me know in this thread, and we can take a look.

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a kraken tote bag and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean, indigo, or other restricted colors, but can be black or gold. In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
December 31st 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique. In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.

Also, take note of the way some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Jan 5, 2010 3:54:08 AM]
[Dec 1, 2009 11:36:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background contest - "At the docks" edition [Deadline 31st December 2009] Reply to this Post

YESS!

Was waiting for this thread to appear!

Now to work! ^^
Aere on the Viridian Ocean
FO of Vicious or Delicious
[Dec 1, 2009 11:45:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background contest - "At the docks" edition [Deadline 31st December 2009] Reply to this Post

O gud... fienaleh, sumting after finalz. Tnx mush Apelo.
xeitgeist of emrald oshun iz tired
I have a webcomic!
[Dec 1, 2009 5:18:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/abslula/ [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

Constructive Criticism please!
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Dec 1, 2009 11:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

@ Terrify

The perspective doesn't seem right. In the previous contest thread Harlech explained how to do this. I'd advise you to go check that ;)

The sea seems also purple to me. You should change the hue (image->adjustments->hue and saturation). To make it more wavy you could perhaps try something with the 'ripple' filter? Or using the smudge tool could also work.
[Dec 2, 2009 2:58:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

Here's what I've got so far :D

It's an expansive background, but I guess i could also make it for two pirates.

[Dec 2, 2009 3:24:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

@ Terrify

The perspective doesn't seem right. In the previous contest thread Harlech explained how to do this. I'd advise you to go check that ;)

The sea seems also purple to me. You should change the hue (image->adjustments->hue and saturation). To make it more wavy you could perhaps try something with the 'ripple' filter? Or using the smudge tool could also work.

Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Dec 2, 2009 3:24:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jelly00Bean

I'm a long-time lurker of the portrait backround contests, But I've never actually entered, I always told myself I wasn't good enough to win buuuut.. Can only get better by drawing more! So here's my attempt.

Inspired by the song, Under the boardwalk.. down by the seaaaaaaaaa.. on a blanket with my baby.. somethingsomethingsomething..

Very rough draft, just basically coloured so you can tell what is what.. The shells and starfish aren't even coloured at all.. But yes.. it will look better when it's properly coloured and textured and all. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
(Main) Jellyx - Emerald
(Sometimes) Jellyfridge - Meridian
Previously xjellybeanx - Emerald

Kearny says, "hark aint a word dummy"
Apollo says, "It so is. Noah had one."

[Dec 2, 2009 6:30:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Image Tag done :D

Woo! Something to do over the christmas holidays!
Lcawte All Oceans
Senior Officer, Privateers of Emerald Ocean. Former Governor of Barbary Island.
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of [url=tinyurl.com/lb
[Dec 2, 2009 7:50:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

Here's what I've got so far :D

It's an expansive background, but I guess i could also make it for two pirates.

How did you make the tiles on the ground, Awesome!
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Dec 2, 2009 8:01:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mickmac

Link to image
i quite like this
its for large backround
feedback would be liked
i tried to add everything piratey in

Edit: every time you break the forum with an image that's too big, the OMs have to nominate one player of untainted status to be sacrificed for the greater good. Best not to do it, on the whole. ;) ~Apollo
Captainshiverkn sage
Ceolanmc Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Dec 3, 2009 9:40:05 AM]
[Dec 3, 2009 9:24:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Mickmac, remember that pirates will be laid over your drawing. So your perspective and scale must be ready to accommodate!

I've rearranged your own lines as an example. (Please ignore the horse and sheep, I forgot to remove and replace them.) See how the pirates fit a bit better now? Your original was more of an overhead view of the world, so the pirates appeared as rigid paratroopers. Sometimes, it's easier to draw or print the pirate cutouts first, then draw around them.

Oh, and notice I've flipped the image, so the city is on the left. When the portraits are created in game, the images are cropped from the right. Better to to have part of the sea removed than your city, mate.

In any case, if you spend a fair amount of time and care on each of the individual buildings and other elements, I reckon you could have something quite nice looking when you've finished.

Wander around the game for a while and take a few screenshots of buildings you like (ships, too!), and refer to them as you draw. It will really help. Best of luck, mate.

SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Dec 3, 2009 11:17:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

@ Terrify

I used a 3D program to make the basic environment, textured it and rendered it. Then I imported it into photoshop. However, it could be a lot easier to just make a texture for the ground (how it would look like from the top) and then use Edit-->transform-->perspective.

In the meanwhile I've abandoned my first idea, here's my new one ^^

Feedback will be appreciated ^^
[Dec 4, 2009 6:15:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_mcphee

Awww I really liked your first idea! I was just thinking how cool it was :(
Yohococo - Emerald Ocean
Purple forever.

[Dec 4, 2009 6:37:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I agree - I'd really love to see it in a 2-person size (so hard to get 4-5 people together who all want a portrait in a small crew). Hope you continue to work on both!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 4, 2009 10:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

Okay then xD But I got a lot of school work and I have the doodles to do... But I'll try to finish it.
[Dec 5, 2009 3:25:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

Please attribute to Whitenose on Sage

Ahoi,

im trying to drawing a beach view. So this one is not finished (and will probably still take a while until it is reasonably ok) -> Next Step

preview:

Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cassopia at Dec 13, 2009 10:15:18 AM]
[Dec 5, 2009 3:41:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Terribly Important Notice

Image tagging for upload to YPPedia: we're finding that we're having to go backwards and forwards a bit with portrait credits and names each month, which is taking up time that could usefully be spent elsewhere! This is mostly because of the need to upload to YPPedia but then put some information on the forum, and also file name truncations, etc! So, we'd like to try out uploading the images with a more comprehensive image tag, to try to get all the information in one place. I know this complicates your tag process, but I hope you'll be able to manage.

* You should upload your image with a file name following the normal rules
* You should tag it with the following format

{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|portraittitle}}

e.g. {{dockscontest|Apollo|Luckysun|ChatCircles}}
or {{dockscontest|Cassopia|Whitenose|IslandView}} to use a recent example!

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice, e.g. {{dockscontest|Apollo|Apollo|ChatCircles}}

If there are any problems with this approach (other than complexity) that you spot, please let me know in this thread, and we can take a look. Thanks for your help!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Dec 5, 2009 4:16:16 AM]
[Dec 5, 2009 4:11:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

So Apollo, you need me to update the template?

Edit: Done using those parameters, and on the image page, the template displays as:

Blah blah in this competion
<portrait name> by <someone>

But the input is the same is in your last post Apollo
Lcawte All Oceans
Senior Officer, Privateers of Emerald Ocean. Former Governor of Barbary Island.
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of [url=tinyurl.com/lb
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lcawte at Dec 5, 2009 4:30:40 AM]
[Dec 5, 2009 4:20:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

Dock with sea mist still working on it.
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Dec 5, 2009 7:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

@ Terrify

Looking good! But remember that it will be cropped.
[Dec 5, 2009 8:21:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

I've worked a bit on my first portrait. I resized it (for 2 pirates now), I added some barrels, changed some colours and I made the tree leaves into ivy :P

The only thing is that you can't see most of the stairs. Does this bother anyone?

I will probably add a net to the right and maybe a crab that walks by. I'll have to add the iron 'thingy' on the barrels too.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Arne145 at Dec 5, 2009 11:16:22 AM]
[Dec 5, 2009 11:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

@ Arne - I really like the layout that you have with this one. The stairs don't bug me at all. Make sure you take a look at the stack of barrels ingame, right now they don't quite feel "right". Would definatly add some more clutter, crates and that kind of stuff. I love how the ingame docks always have stuff everywhere.

@ Whitenose - I'm liking your layout too! The rocks look great so far! Can't wait to see how your background develops.
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by starsapphire at Dec 5, 2009 1:54:05 PM]
[Dec 5, 2009 1:52:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I agree with Falmari - Aere & Whitenose, both are looking good, great layouts!

I've reworked one of my entries from the BYOB contest into a 1-person background. I'd really appreciate your feedback/comments/suggestions as always, mates.

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 5, 2009 9:16:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arne145

I think there's something wrong with the perspective. The top of the pillar doesn't correspond with the perspective of the pirate.. If you get what I mean :P The side lines of the 'cube' should be going down. Did you have a vanishing point? Or are all lines parallel? That should explain it.
[Dec 6, 2009 4:11:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

<3
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Dec 6, 2009 6:40:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mickmac

Harclech

thanks for improving it

at the moment im working on the perspective

i think i might have a good one here
Captainshiverkn sage
Ceolanmc Midnight
[Dec 6, 2009 10:12:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Charlienoah

@ Terrify.

In your background, is the girl walking on water?
Other than that it looks good.
Nadinya/Nadinyarr
Call me Nads ;o)
Gods of War
Cerulean
[Dec 6, 2009 10:15:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

@ Terrify.

In your background, is the girl walking on water?
Other than that it looks good.

It's not finished yet, I am thinking of what to add. Maybe a jetty, at this stage I'm not sure.

PS: Thanks Aere! ^^
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Terrify at Dec 6, 2009 4:17:14 PM]
[Dec 6, 2009 4:15:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's another idea, with and without pirate. As always, I would appreciate any feedback/comments/suggestions. Thanks!

[Dec 8, 2009 4:30:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 99   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates