• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 62
Posts: 62   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12810 times and has 61 replies Next Thread
fearlessphil

Blockadevideos.com Reply to this Post

Introduction

Here it is folks, the new Blockade Video site alpha release!

After much time, coding and effort I feel it is finally time to release something to get your thoughts and
feedback from.

Although firstly I would like to explain a few sections of the website to you and also tell you about some
of the developements, updates and additions I have planned for the site.

Navigation

I guess the first main section to talk about would be the navigation of the site as it is a fairly odd way
of doing things but I think works well. Initially you can navigate through the site but using the horizontal
navigation bar located at the top of the page, you can reach some sections of the site from here for example
the jobber monitor or recording application page, but I felt that for the Oceans sections of the website there
were too many links for the drop down menu to handle, so this is where the odd bits comes in, once you have select an
Ocean from the horizontal navigation bar a list of links will appear on the left in side bar (for this release
the only ocean that is done in mostly full so you can see what things will look like is Ice).

Links

This would be the appropriate place to talk about the links on each of the oceans I think, firstly there is the
standard link videos which as you may have guessed has links to the videos you will have found before, then there
is the map link, on this page is a map on the ocean, different to others around, it is an interactive map with
tooltips appearing when you hover your mouse over an island polace holder (this tooltip as of right now tells you about
current island population numbers). Then there is the islands page which is where you can see a listed version of all
of the islands instead of the map view, then lastly but not least there is the Yppedia link which will link you to the
blocade histories of the ocean you have selected.

As for the other links please have a look around and see what you think. On a slight side note, this website was designed
using Goole Chrome which makes the website look awesome in that brower and Firefox (the website will even work on an iPhone
but I am unsure about the other mobile phones) but unfortunately with Internet Explorer being the way it is, for the site
to look useable you need to change the documentation mode, this can be done by pressing F12 the looking in the top
right of the new window and changing the mode from Quirks to I.E8.

Additions happening for the Beta release

For the next release I hope to implement a flags page for each ocean that will list the fame levels of a selected range
of flags and then possibly add in a search function beneath this list so you can find out about other existing flgs on
the ocean you choose to look on. Along with this there may also be the rather nice addition of an uploads page, in which you
can record your videos of blockades, then upload them to the site!

Your Feedback

On the site there is a feedback page you can leave your comments there of alternatively post in this thread
please do post good and bad points and anything you would like to see added or changed, for example:

Do you like the navigation method?
Do you like the colour scheme?
What other info would you like to see in the island tooltip on the maps?
What other pages would you like to see?
What other info would you like the website to show you (within reason)

Links:
Test Website
Feedback page

I look forward to hearing all your inputs.

- Phil
----------------------------------------
Fearlessphil

Trial the new version of Blockadevideos.com
Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Nov 30, 2009 8:49:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

Re: Blockadevideos.com Reply to this Post

What can I say, you still missing a LOT of work. I wouldnt put it up yet, and I would fill it with FAKE data, on the alpha version, so people can figure what it is useful for.

I recommend that you read a little about HCI (human computer interaction) or at least a Intro to design.

I dont think you want your website grey.

Good luck in the long road ahead, but if you want more support at least explain more what you want to do.

Why will someone visit your website?

Try using MySQL or Php or other stuff....check
Google, w3schools

You got an idea of HTML format, but use TAB wayyyyy more if you want to make your life easy.
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Realjuan at Dec 1, 2009 10:15:51 AM]
[Dec 1, 2009 10:11:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

Here we go, long reply time....

What can I say, you still missing a LOT of work. I wouldnt put it up yet, and I would fill it with FAKE data, on the alpha version, so people can figure what it is useful for.

Congratulations on not reading the opening post, you will see that it is stated that the Ice section of the website is up mostly fully to show you what it looks like....

I recommend that you read a little about HCI (human computer interaction) or at least a Intro to design.

Did that in College I think the first year, all HCI is to do with is the use of something, does the website colouration make it hard to read? No, I personally don't think it is hard to read and neither do a lot of other people, can you use the site easily? If you would have read the opening post about the navigation I would guess you could, so nice try but not really right about that./

Good luck in the long road ahead, but if you want more support at least explain more what you want to do.

Once again read the opening post fully and you will see what is planned to be released and what is hoped to be done about the site, then if you even read the ending, it asks you what you would like to see.

To watch videos of blockades initially I would guess, then whilst there see the extras that are there, for example the maps of the oceans.

Try using MySQL or Php or other stuff....check
Google, w3schools

Congratualtions on not knowing a thing about how the site was built, if you were to know you would understand that the site is predominantly PHP based, with the site connecting to a database to output the large amounts of data needed for example in the islands link.

You got an idea of HTML format, but use TAB wayyyyy more if you want to make your life easy.

The site already uses CSS and div tags to position/float things and it seems to be working nicely so why change it?

I do understand this thread is for feedback, but please don't comment on the background coding of the site when you evidently have little knowledge of how it all works.

-Glubbing co-creator of the site.

EDIT: Re-worded something
Glubbing of the Emerald ocean

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Glubbing at Dec 1, 2009 10:47:25 AM]
[Dec 1, 2009 10:36:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fearlessphil

To watch videos of blockades initially I would guess, then whilst there see the extras that are there, for example the maps of the oceans.

Just to reiterate on Glubbings point here...

The blockadevideos.com site which has been around for ~2.5 years currently gets approximately 500 unique visitors per day generating over 5,000 page views.

This "ALPHA" version is there to provide a much better constructed database, and a heck of a lot more functionality.

We intend to expand from just providing blockade videos for your and other peoples enjoyment, to be able to offer much, much more.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you very much, for your extremely kind concern with the website build.

- Phil
Fearlessphil

Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Dec 1, 2009 11:29:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
Bartholemu4

I left feedback on your page and then read the directions more closely (I was subconsciously emulating the behavior of most users - yeah that's the ticket).

Following the directions you posted about switching document mode in IE8 cleared up the graphic issue I noted in my previous comment.

If the F12 capability will still work once the site goes live, I might suggest putting those instructions on the page itself so IE users can enjoy the site better.

Other than that, the site made sense to me.....
sic hoc adfixium in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et ni mis propinquus ades.

...Still waiting for my free cheese ...
[Dec 1, 2009 11:33:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

If the F12 capability will still work once the site goes live, I might suggest putting those instructions on the page itself so IE users can enjoy the site better.

Other than that, the site made sense to me.....

I did consider the option of noting it on the main page but I wanted to find a way around that to save the less computer literate people having to confuse themselves, I am sure there is a way to do it, I may know how but I thought that as the is only an Alpha release how it is currently will do for now.

Thanks for taking time to check things out!

- Glubbing

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Dec 1, 2009 11:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

You can take it how ever you want... I am not the creater, so I just tell you what i think.

To the owner:
You seem to be getting good views on your website, so it does have a reason. (not appealing to me at first). Gratz on this.

If YOU think a website where you "select" ice and its NOT shown which OCEAN you choose follows the basics of HCI. Then I think you didnt do that well in that class.

Ice is finished....okay, then why do you get this"

Videos
Map of the ocean
Islands
YPPedia Link

Ice Ocean
Welcome! You have found your way successfully to the Ice ocean page! Enjoy!

Test

the

other

links

please!

Either way is the ORIGINAL poster, wants more information. He can contact me. I speak with owner of the horse, not the beast
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Realjuan at Dec 2, 2009 2:54:29 AM]
[Dec 2, 2009 2:50:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

Here we go again.....

If YOU think a website where you "select" ice and its NOT shown which OCEAN you choose follows the basics of HCI. Then I think you didnt do that well in that class.

Evidently you can't read then, because if you select Ice from the menu it tells you in the center of the page in big letters "Ice Ocean" if you can't tell from that if you look at the sidebar even above the links it shows this "Ice:" with the links below, I would have thought even someone with a small ounce of intelligence can put the two together and think "Oh, Ice: Videos".

What you are seeing currently is a place holder for the Ice ocean page, but if you wish to be so picky and ignore the other completed pages for Ice do so.

Also just for clarification I did do well in that class scoring the best grade possible for every piece of work involved in that subject, believe it or not the design does meet standards.

For you though we shall look at the rules and see whether or not the site does, in HCI there are the following 8 golden rules, with each of these will be an explanation as to if/where/how the site meets it:

1. Consistency - Yes the site does meet this as the menu bars are located in the same place on every page, also colour schemes are the same for example, the nav bar is always a dark shade of grey and the place where the text appears on the page is a light grey.

2. Use shortcuts - This rule doesn't really apply to a website that is more for other types of systems like computers themselves or software for various computer peripherals.

3. Informative feedback - This is also included, when you hover your mouse over a link the link changes colour showing you what link you are about to select. This rule also extends to buttons as well, and guess what if you head to the feedback page and post a message, after you hit the submit button it shows you have successfully submitted a comment by thanking you for doing so at the top of the page.

4. Design dialogs to yield closure - Once again this doesn't really apply to a website but applies more to other systems like the process involved in installing some software, all this rules requires is for you to make the software have an organized start, middle and end.

5. Error prevention and error correction - You don't see this one as much with the site as this is mostly for access with the databases, because this rule comes pretty much down to data validation to make sure numbers aren't entered into a text only field. Should the site use more fields for example one that requires date inputs, appropriate validation would be used on the 'front' end.

6. Easy reversal of actions - You have a back button in your browsers, if that isn't enough use the home button on the nav bar, i you navigate to the wrong page.

7. User control or (Support internal locus of control) - there is nothing uncontrollable about the site, you can choose the menu options you wish to, there are no surprises involved either, consistency is very evident in the site, nothing changes around, I don't think there are any tedious forms to fill in or long tasks, you select a menu option and go there.

8. Reduced short term memory load - The site doesn't require much of this, lets list the things you have to remember about the site:

a. URL located at: http://test.blockadevideos.com (will change once full release happens).
b. Navigation bar at the top.
c. If an ocean is chosen select a relative link from the side bar.
d. Information always shows in the center of the page.

Not too much to remember was it?

So Mr. HCI know-it-all if you still feel even after my explanation of the rules that the site doesn't meet the requirements, please feel free to send a PM with a nice little report indicating where/why the site doesn't meet the principles, or if you would prefer PM the 'owner of the horse' and not the 'beast'.

On a side note: thank you to those of you that have posted feedback through the site notifying us about the bugs/screw ups we have made with the coding! I will get around to fixing them today, in the mean time please carry on testing the site, one more thing, would you guys liked it if I some how added in a colour scheme switch section to the site so you could change from say the current scheme to blue and something, or white and something?

- Glubbing

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Dec 2, 2009 6:53:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

If you like the website, then tell it to him. I don't need/want to know. He doesnt need to please me, so if you think he follows the Golden Rules..then tell to him.
Congratz on your perfect score in your class, is quite an achievement.

I still think HE is missing a lot. Now that I'll take my time to write it maybe after tomorrow, because I got some stuff to do.

I would suggest you to keep your comments to your own threadss, since you make it real boring to read/reply. (i wonder how many more will)

If I ask you, what you think of my spelling. I will reply to ANY type of comment the same way, and] that way I can keep all possible keep it objective. Still in this case is you and not HIM, answering.

(btw: Havent read more than a few sentence of your posts. After a few sentences I realize what type of person I deal with, so if you mind please dont answer to me. Let the person WHO asked reply, but you welcome to open your own thread)

LatinBoy
Sage

Edit: I though it was rude of me not to at least try to read your replies, but after I realize you are applying the 8 Rules to the IE, FireFox and not to the website I stopped.

Could have been my mistake, or maybe you just using a program to create websites. This is NOT what I meant, but ill let it go

The site already uses CSS and div tags to position/float things and it seems to be working nicely so why change it?

Latinboy

[Edit 7 times, last edit by Realjuan at Dec 2, 2009 9:29:22 AM]
[Dec 2, 2009 9:02:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

Colour Scheme

I have been doing a design of interactive systems course lately and I can definitely say one of the things he said was grey on grey is baaaaaaddddddddddd. Best one apparently is white on blue, or things like white on black, black on white and similar things, not exactly sure what turns up well.

Just because a person can read it doesn't mean they can read it well. It definitely slowed my reading down and I'm sure someone with more reading problems/sight problems would definitely suffer.

The key points need to draw attention, one of those being the menus and I just don't see anything drawing my eye to them. For the most part they just blend right into the background which is not good.

Home Page

I know you are trying to be consistent but can't you just make a quick new background for the home page? The big space just looks nothing more than... a big space.

The picture of ships in the top right: Too blurry to be of much aesthetic use but I'm sure thats just there to show that there will be something there later.

I never got around to it for my own site but an area on the home page briefly describing any updates always seems to be a great idea.

Menu

I don't think the menu links are very informative, I had to hover over them to get an idea of what was in them.

Site news - Why would this be on a separate page? This is something that generally goes on the home page or at least a condensed version of it.

General and additional? What are the differences in your mind because both of these things just both jump out as "I couldn't think of a good way to categorise these so I'll just put them under a random heading"

Statistics
Recording
Jobber Data

Most things under your additional menu seem very vague. Recording I assumed was where you contribute to helping record blockades, Jobber data would be one where you view the current active blockades.

Figured id just put it in here that I have a criticism of the old jobber data system in that I don't think its very effective and needs a few tweaks. Mostly that there needs to be some clear way to just look over the history of the blockade - I just used another tool for this purpose because yours didn't give that functionality. The pie charts while they looked nice raw numbers honestly gave alot more helpful information and comparison for me personally.

Left hand menu

Again I think the colour scheme used causes a few problems for this gathering attention but not quite as badly as the main menu.

The links are clearer for this menu could just use tiny tweaks perhaps but for the most part its good.

Video Page
There is nothing here other than a content marker like the other pages, so I would just like to say please put some thought into the navigatability for videos.

Overall Navigatability
I think this is very very bad. You imagine yourself coming to this website, I assume that the vast majority of your visitors will just be looking at a single video although I think thats something you would need to find out.

Right now you have to:
Go to the home page
Go to the ocean
Click on videos
Find the video you want
Click on that video

That's an insane number of steps for something as simple as wanting a video. Compared to my site all you have to do is:

Hover over a menu and click the puzzle you want.
Scroll down to the video you want which is between 1 and 3 so not much scrolling to do and away you go.

Feedback page

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111 in /mounted-storage/home68a/sub005/sc31307-IZJR/blockades/test/config.php on line 9 Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /mounted-storage/home68a/sub005/sc31307-IZJR/blockades/test/config.php on line 11 Could not connect: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111

Error when I clicked on the feedback page. Worked fine after that.

Again there is no menu on the left so use a different background.
Alot of empty space, surely theres a better way to lay this out so that you can see everything on a screen. Right now its just beyond that for me.

Also linking to my site especially for the blockade simulator when its back up would be sexy :)
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Edit 1 times, last edit by randy_chimp at Dec 2, 2009 9:47:58 AM]
[Dec 2, 2009 9:44:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fearlessphil

So that people understand here,

Glubbing has done the site design.
I do all the random PHP/SQL/other junk.
Coatosilver created and maintains the jobberdata section.

Dachimpy, have you ever tried clicking on the pie charts? As that will give you the raw data, in a nice tabular form. I also believe that Coatosilver is currently working on a few new updates on the jobberdata section. We had previously been limited by the number of queries which could be sent to the database per hour (any blockade with over 1,000 jobbers would literally kill it within the hour, especially if people were looking at the stats too.

The site news page will be seperate, so that we are not cluttering up the home page with a ton of dates of random code tweaks which have been made.

The home page will be containing information regarding the blockades which have occurred on the past weekend, allowing quick and easy access to the information about them, and their associated videos.

The issue which you encountered on the feedback page was a database connection issue, unfortuently, it occasionally occurs. Much like they do on other sites.

Also, just a note to Realjuan, image signatures are not permitted on this forum mate.

Cheers for the feedback though guys, its brought about some lively discussions between Glubbing and myself on where to direct our efforts further on the site.
Fearlessphil

Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Edit 2 times, last edit by fearlessphil at Dec 2, 2009 11:09:20 AM]
[Dec 2, 2009 11:00:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

The site news page will be seperate, so that we are not cluttering up the home page with a ton of dates of random code tweaks which have been made.

Not saying to do all the code changes on the main page, just a quick brief summary something like 4-6 lines summarising whats going on. It's something I have on the list for my website I've just got too many other things going on right now.

Edit:

Maybe you should ask a few people if they actually know clicking the pie charts brings up the tabular data and see how other people answer. If most other people know then it is just me not figuring it out but if a significant number answer the same as me that would be interested in that information then you probably need to do something differently to let people know that you can view it that way.
Blockade Simulator
[Edit 1 times, last edit by randy_chimp at Dec 2, 2009 11:15:59 AM]
[Dec 2, 2009 11:14:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fearlessphil

Not saying to do all the code changes on the main page, just a quick brief summary something like 4-6 lines summarising whats going on. It's something I have on the list for my website I've just got too many other things going on right now.

Makes sense. I have a bit of a fetish for keeping change logs of most things I write, which is what lead me to the separate page.

I might end up doing a compromise, of both. I'll have a chat with Glubbing to see how he can see it being implemented.
Fearlessphil

Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Dec 2, 2009 11:16:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

Just like to add another comment aimed at glubbing. One of the biggest things I have been taught lately is that my own opinion regarding my work is worthless. So any evaluation of the site is going to be insanely poor because its your work. Any good evaluation or criticism has to come from an outside party, I've spotted alot of problems in my blockade simulator but one of the main things I have learned to do now is involve the people that are going to use it at every stage, do a bit of work and ask them if they like it. Based on your response you don't seem to realise how weak your own opinion is because of your bias.
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 2, 2009 11:28:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

Thank you for your view of things Dachimpy, some things I would slightly disagree with but I understand they are your opinions and I am grateful to hear them. Onto the main stuff....

As a note white text on a black background is not a good idea, but that is neither here nor there really just a slight fix.

The nav bars and page content is still something being developed however we will take your suggestions on board and adapt things in a way we see to be in an beneficial direction for the site.

The videos I thought would be better sectioned off like this rather than grouped together as why would you want to wade through all the other oceans videos before finding the one you want.

Onto the point that I felt mostly about...

Personally I don't feel navigating through the site is a hard task, maybe that is because I developed it with Phil but even for a standard user it can't be that hard? Right? I mean you go to the site, see the nav bar but you want a video from Sage, so you move your mouse of the Oceans link and a drop down appears, you click Sage and a new nav bar flashes up in which does grab your eye then you select videos, doesn't seem overly hard to get to.

The methods which you said about finding a video on this site and a puzzle on your site are slightly bended to make your site sound better, for example this site you have to navigate the home page but on yours you don't? finding a video on your site takes 1 less click that this site, whilst we are on that lets add another scenario (I know this is overly defensive, mostly un-needed and definitely sounds like I am throwing stones, but I will say it anyway). On your site I want to navigate to say the Carpentry puzzle so I take these steps....

Go to www.dachimpy.com
Hover over Puzzle Guides
Select Carpentry and find a video.

All good one click more than this site but still nice, but oh wait I didn't want Carpentry I wanted Blacksmithing, so now I scroll back to the top of the page and hover over Puzzle guides, but wait I can't find Blacksmithing because the video sits over the top of the nav, so now I have to go back to the home page then navigate to it, something petty I know but you do make it sound like your site is so amazing, or I could look at the Distilling simulators and find a nice paragraph about gunning loops on the second section down on the page. All of this is petty I know, and I do know you are trying to help, it is appreciated, but please try not to boast about your site being amazing and having a great navigation method when it has flaws that shouldn't be there after <insert amount of weeks your site has been running for>.

Now back to talking about the Blockade videos site and not Dachimpy.com.

Although I am curious to see, how would you suggest we adapt the navigation to be better suited for use? I don't see listing all of the Ocean links in the drop down similar to your Puzzle Guide drop down being suited as the drop down will extent past the page.

- Glubbing

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Dec 2, 2009 11:39:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

I've not had a chance to put much thought into what to do to make it better yet.

As for my website I'm fully aware of most of the problems. The difference being I hadn't done any sort of design course when I made that I'm only just nearing the end of that now. I have quite a decent list of things that are wrong with my site, a friends evaluation that I asked him to do showed a couple of things that I didn't realise. Internal consistency being destroyed by the credits box I found very interesting.

I didn't see much point at this point fixing my site when things like the blockade simulator had so many problems that need fixing etc. so fixing the site is on my list after fixing the simulator when I have the time to do that.

Going to have some dinner and I have a piece of work that I need to do for uni and I'll have a think about an idea for improving the menu system.

Regarding the menu my criticism wasn't the difficulty to navigate, thats quite straight forward. It was the number of clicks and stages needed to get to where you want, although a large part of that will be overcome with the comment from phil about having the recent blockades on the home page which I can only assume is where most interest comes from.
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 2, 2009 11:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

First thanks for the warning of the sign, I changed it already and hope it didnt overload your thread.

Now that everything is clear I am going to use some time to explain what I thought was missing.

Look at the browser/computer details to fit your website to everyones computer. Be sure to use at least 3 browsers you think are used the most.
This will fix
- Title to the left with a lot of space to the right with no mean. (not need to make it center either)
- Your Title line. In my opinion should align the same way to the right and left.
(may sound repetitive, but I think there is a difference)
- Allignment (main area is not aligned with anything (and it looks like it should)

Change the grey. Most websites use white and black, maybe not the most original but always works. For alpha version, do something simple that works instead of creative that will keep you for developmining the website faster

Consistancy in menu
In the "additional" there is an option that is a little bigger than the rest...Takes 2 seconds to fix and make it look good.
"feedback" menu, want to be consistant then make it drop at least something. Sometimes it looks like it just "didnt work".

Redo left hand menu. Pictures or borders dont look well done. Dont know why its not there on front page for me.

I personal think that the white spaces are options that I cant see.

BUG: if you click on ice the drop down menus on top WONT work.

Again do work on the "8 golden Rules"

The picture you doing its good for my space, or .tk website. If you paying for a domain do your own, or ask someone to do it. Photoshop is great, and most universities will allow you to used it for free. If you cant do it, ask people. Some people LIKE to do pictures (small) for free.

Nothing personal,
LatinBoy
(Sage)

[I am no webdesigner, but like the idea. I may be able to give you way more support after (if you want)]
Latinboy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Realjuan at Dec 2, 2009 12:18:39 PM]
[Dec 2, 2009 12:11:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

Change the grey. Most websites use white and black, maybe not the most original but always works. For alpha version, do something simple that works instead of creative that will keep you for developmining the website faster

This is a good point that I'd like to emphasise. You commented that the colour was just a simple fix but really when looking at the first version I shouldn't be paying any attention to aesthetics, it distracts from looking at the functionality.
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 2, 2009 12:26:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

Regarding the menu my criticism wasn't the difficulty to navigate, thats quite straight forward. It was the number of clicks and stages needed to get to where you want, although a large part of that will be overcome with the comment from phil about having the recent blockades on the home page which I can only assume is where most interest comes from.

I am still not understanding this, I consider this to be an unbiased approach to finding a video on both sites:

http://www.dachimpy.com

• Navigate to site by enterung URL inti the address bar.
  • Hover mouse over Puzzle Guide menu item.
  • Select puzzle required from the list.
  • Scoll to find the right set of videos.
  • Select video wanted from the selection on the left of the. embedded video player.
  • Watch video!

That sounds about right? I think, now lets do an unbiased video search on:

http://test.blockadevideos.com

• Navigate to site by entering URL into the address bar.
  • Hover mouse over Ocean option in the menu.
  • Select the required ocean from the list.
  • Select the videos link.
  • Scroll to find appropriate island/blockade number.
  • Select round video wanted.
  • Watch video!

I think those both look like the most direct (without entering the exact URL in) methods to navigate through both of the sites, so please explain to me how 1 extra stage in a fairly short list of actions makes one method fine, and the other insanely step filled and lots of effort.

- Glubbing

EDIT1: Changed Dachimpy's site URL to a link not just text
EDIT2: to tell you about that edit and apologise for the double post!

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Glubbing at Dec 2, 2009 12:39:41 PM]
[Dec 2, 2009 12:28:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

BUG: if you click on ice the drop down menus on top WONT work.

I am assuming you are using Internet Explorer 8? If so re-read the opening post, more specifically the bit about switching document modes to make things work like the drop down menus, if you aren't for the Alpha release it is like it is, so best viewable in Firefox or Google Chrome until I can work a way around the no drop down menu issues.

The picture you doing its good for my space, or .tk website. If you paying for a domain do your own, or ask someone to do it. Photoshop is great, and most universities will allow you to used it for free. If you cant do it, ask people. Some people LIKE to do pictures (small) for free.

The banner was originally a flash animation which annoyed me in the end so thanks to the publishing options in a fairly advanced/professional flash package there is a substitute image there until I can develop something I like.

- Glubbing

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Dec 2, 2009 12:38:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

I think it depends alot on which way you look at it. If you look at it from a different perspective, which is the one I probably used:

http://www.dachimpy.com

Has Two pages you have to visit to find a video.

1. Home Page
2. Puzzle page
(3 In the case of poker)

http://test.blockadevideos.com

Has 4 Pages to visit for one video

1. Home Page
2. Ocean Page
3. Oceans Video Page
4. Specific Video

I think this way of looking at it is what made me think theres alot more to navigating to a video, so it depends on which way you look at it. In terms of clicking they are pretty much the same looking at your list, but there are more pages to flick through.

Also depends on your perspective of my videos, I consider one puzzle guide a full video and the links on the left are simply to skip to separate parts of the video similar to how a blockade video is split into rounds.
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 2, 2009 12:43:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

As someone who would use this site quite a bit, I don't see any problem with having to go through 4 pages to get to the video that I want. I'm also not sure how he could shorten that process, since he has to go through this tree:

Home Page
Ocean
What you want to look at for that ocean
Do whatever on that final page

Just because that process may be a little bit longer than desirable doesn't mean that it's possible to shorten it.

The site makes sense to me. I can find what I want with no trouble. I'm not a fan of the grey, but I'm there to watch the videos, not look at a fancy webpage. If this was a commercial website, it would certainly need to look better, but as a free service it only requires functionality.

Question: Are the videos meant to be downloads or will they be part of the website? I assume downloads like the old site.

Note: I am not a web designer.
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Dec 2, 2009 9:43:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

Well I dont understand then, why with 2.5 years up and 500 views per day, then you still have little things like that to fix.

Also if you have a better website why not upload it and then ask for comments? quite dumb to ask people, hey what do you think about this, and when they say some obvious your reply is, "I did that already, just that is not here".

That it doesn't work NOW with IE 8, doesnt mean is not easy/possible to fix. This is just a lame excuse.

As you say the website has 500 views per day, then imagen what it could get with a website done in more than 1 day. Just work on the little details one by one, when you have something worth showing ask for help. Then you can work on BIG issues, which is what it seems you are doing.

If you dont have information for statistic right now, then take it off for now. Make a website with.

Home page
With the lists of oceans and a sublist with the videos.

*easy, one page only. Will give you time to work on banner, fixing the IE8 (highly used) problems and maybe you wont loose soo many viewers with "Under Construction Messages"

Make it nice and complete, get people to add it to favorities. Then on the side work on your complete website. Then you know which users like your website and ask them to take 5 minutes to see your beta version. A 2.5 years website, deserves more time investment. (not saying that YOU have work on this website for so long. But its been up)

This could be my WAY of doing it, so if you differ thats good. I recommend that you do learn to reply with "Okay, ill see what I can do.", "thanks for your time" EVEN if you have an argument.

We are not here to read about what you THINK your website is, but to tell you what we think of what WE see.
Latinboy

[Dec 3, 2009 12:19:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fearlessphil

Just a question mate, how will a test version of the website, which has a different subdomain to the main site, be costing me visitors?

The main site (with videos) is still accessible at http://www.blockadevideos.com
The test site (new design) is accessible at http://test.blockadevideos.com

The videos will likely be available for download again, until I sort out having them viewable on-line. I'm still not sure which is best for people.
Fearlessphil

Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Dec 3, 2009 12:28:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

One question I have is how much space are the videos currently costing you? Almost all video hosting websites use .flv's (flash) because its a very compact format.

For my website a 2 minute video is 3kb of space, hows that compare to yours?

I can't think of a good solution for the number of clicks other than having a search page where you enter all the information in one form rather than going to 3 different pages. If most people feel like the person has commented above however then it isn't really an issue.

Going to ask my lecturer in a couple of hours to see if theres any better ideas.

Edit: Or to just get rid of one click why not have the videos as the default when you click on an ocean? Unless you have some sort of information you want to display I would imagine that most people would like to see the videos first since thats the whole point of your site, anything else is just extras.
Blockade Simulator
[Edit 2 times, last edit by randy_chimp at Dec 3, 2009 1:14:58 AM]
[Dec 3, 2009 1:12:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fearlessphil

On the Ocean page, the default was going to be any blockades which occurred there within the past month to speed up access. This update will be being pushed out later today, as soon as I've put some test data into the database.

EDIT: This is now done.

The videos available for download are around 40mb in size. I have over 750gb of space, so this is not really an issue to me, just depends how other people feel.
Fearlessphil

Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fearlessphil at Dec 3, 2009 2:33:47 AM]
[Dec 3, 2009 1:17:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

Well I dont understand then, why with 2.5 years up and 500 views per day, then you still have little things like that to fix.

Take a look at http://www.blockadevideos.com now look at http://test.blockadevideos.com, can you see the almost complete overhaul of the site? Now can you see why there might be a couple of bugs, it would have been fine if we had used the old site as a template but the whole site has been re-done from scratch.

That it doesn't work NOW with IE 8, doesnt mean is not easy/possible to fix. This is just a lame excuse.

Start to read my post please, I did say it was like that currently but if you also read my posts past the first few lines you will see that it was something I was aiming to fix, thankfully Phil has fixed it so all should be ok in I.E8

*easy, one page only. Will give you time to work on banner, fixing the IE8 (highly used) problems and maybe you wont loose soo many viewers with "Under Construction Messages"

Although these statistics aren't going to be spot on as they rarely are, but W3schools do monitor many sites to make sure of relatively close numbers, take a look here.... Browser Statistics you will see that in recent years I.E has seen a decline in use with Firefox being used more, nit-picky I know but I had to clear that up.

This could be my WAY of doing it, so if you differ thats good. I recommend that you do learn to reply with "Okay, ill see what I can do.", "thanks for your time" EVEN if you have an argument.

We are not here to read about what you THINK your website is, but to tell you what we think of what WE see.

I have been thanking people for their feedback read my posts properly, but unfortunately you still wish to post nonsense about things, and aren't choosing to read my posts which means you post more stuff saying things that I have answering higher up the page. I haven't sat here the whole time and told you about what I think about the site, I did it once or twice when I was conversing with Dachimpy on the navigation methods, where I thought it was relevant to compare both sites.

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Dec 3, 2009 3:15:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

Bug
Whenever I try to navigate back through your website in firefox I get

To display this page, Firefox must send information that will repeat any action (such as a search or order confirmation) that was performed earlier.

These are just normal pages so I'm confused as to why this is popping up and consider it a bug.

Size
So your videos are 3.2mb/minute compared with 1.5mb/minute using flash. Thats quite a big difference.

Edit: Flash standalone player is Adobe Air which next to nobody has so if you want to offer it as a download still it would have to have a html file with it to watch the videos.

Side Menu

Personally I feel it might be a bit better to have the side menu appear slightly higher than it is now to be seen better.

Browser Usage

My webalizer is prone to breaking non stop but these are the browser statistics that I have for last month (my webalizer insists that nobody wanted to visit my website in the last third of the month and that 2000-4000 a day have suddenly started again in december so I don't trust these numbers entirely but they should be roughly right)

Top 15 of 23 Total User Agents
# Hits User Agent
1 16576 26.32% Firefox 3
2 12253 19.46% Other
3 10883 17.28% MSIE 6.0
4 9066 14.40% MSIE 8.0
5 7273 11.55% MSIE 7.0
6 3398 5.40% Chrome
7 1994 3.17% Safari
8 570 0.91% Opera
9 268 0.43% Firefox 2
10 171 0.27% MSIE 8.0.6001.18828
11 148 0.24% Googlebot
12 95 0.15% Yahoo! Slurp
13 78 0.12% MSIE 7.0.6000.16916
14 62 0.10% MSIE 7.0.5730.11
15 41 0.07% MSIE 8.0.6001.18702
Blockade Simulator
[Edit 1 times, last edit by randy_chimp at Dec 3, 2009 4:47:06 AM]
[Dec 3, 2009 4:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

Yeah, what ever. I said Highly used...meaning used a lot, not used by all or by most.

Well I suppose if I am trying to teach english without been native speaker, then there is no way I'll be able to teach WebDesign without pointing you to "WebDesign for dummies". (try a University instead of Community college)

Either way, its your website i give up. I hope that your parner gets someone with decent abilities, because not only you dont have them but you wont seem to even understand them. You can't photoshop, and you TRIED using flash, do i have to stress the lack of knowledge you have? *flash lol*

I hope I will start a website next year, and you'll get a personal invite to comment on it. Maybe you can teach me how to ignore obvious mistake, and try to find lame excuses for the rest.

Either way, I will be ignoring this thread. No used to waste my time, but feel free to reply to this and have no one read it.
Latinboy

[Dec 3, 2009 5:35:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glubbing

Bug
Whenever I try to navigate back through your website in firefox I get [insert error message]

That has something to do with the colour switcher function, I was getting that error too but I just tried it and I think Phil may have fixed it.

Side Menu

Personally I feel it might be a bit better to have the side menu appear slightly higher than it is now to be seen better.

I am currently looking at the design and noticed Tanonev mentioned about the side menu extending past the viewable area on a resolution of around 1300 x 760, so my current plan is to basically chop it down to size, by chopping the top and bottom fade out points off, then I can reposition the side menu so the options will be located nearer the top of what I consider to be the area where the pages load, I should have this update done in a few hours!

- Glubbing, applying his rubbish web coding and designing skills all over the Blockadevideos.com site!

EDIT: spelling

SO of Constrained

Royal of Vehement
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Glubbing at Dec 3, 2009 6:51:49 AM]
[Dec 3, 2009 6:39:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 62   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates