• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2768 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Critique Reply to this Post

When posting in a general art forum, or anywhere asking for comments, the other artists offer their advice in the form of "critique." A critique consists of comments about the technical and aesthetic merits of the work while also pointing out areas that could be reworked, and specifically how. Sometimes this strays to opinion, and the distinction is hazy, but most critique should espouse the goals of the artist and help him to achieve them.

"Criticism" is a different word, and not what we do.

I just thought I'd define the terms for people who are just joining us art types (welcome!) and are trying to pick up the lingo as they go along.
----------------------------------------
[Dec 21, 2004 2:00:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zindy

Re: Critique Reply to this Post

thank ye! at least for me, as a "foreigner" its helpful to get a definitions sometimes.

(and: i appreciate the critique ye and artemis are giving)
The winner is Notorious Fandango. - and puff! and gone ;)

certified ZombDango . notorious.
[Dec 21, 2004 3:08:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate+Sabata [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

i'm gonna pick a bone here with ye, nemo:

what about constructive criticism? i've heard that term a lot, and it usually has something to do with reading/watching/whatevering someone's art and then giving comments.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Dec 21, 2004 3:51:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I think that's more along the lines of what he's getting at.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Dec 21, 2004 3:59:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Gloraelin wrote: 
i'm gonna pick a bone here with ye, nemo:

what about constructive criticism? i've heard that term a lot, and it usually has something to do with reading/watching/whatevering someone's art and then giving comments.

aka Critique, but without the negative connotations.

atteSmythe,
admitting that English does have about 5 different ways to say anything

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Dec 21, 2004 4:56:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Maybe I'm a big softie, but I think we should always try, no matter how we feel, t'nurture the artistic spirit. Polite critique and helpful suggestions do a lot fer people.

---

Our idiom gives a potential quintet o'varyin responses.
The standard tongue here provides room fer creativity.
A hearty vernacular encompasses multiple word arrangements.
We're free t'express ourselves without language's restraints.

Uh ...

This jive be vague.
Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[Dec 21, 2004 7:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Malagata

That was a good one Nemo, I felt badly criticize when showing my first first intention of island to the rest of the critique thread, so, and as to add a short comment, I guess that a good critique needs to take care of which language is used to make that critique... if the words chosen are too strong or rather offensive , surely it will get some kind of reaction and not the expected one.
Just my two cents!

Cheers, and no tears.

Malagata
SO.Artic Blades
" Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird , that cannot fly-"
[Dec 22, 2004 12:39:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    floresdelsol1@yahoo.com.ar [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Well, here's my big problem: I'm willing to offer serious critique to people who follow the rules in question. Sure, we all dink around, but...

Thus's Law:
If you ask for a sonnet and get a haiku,
the writer's got some 'splainin to do.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Dec 22, 2004 10:39:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Thusnelda wrote: 
Thus's Law:
If you ask for a sonnet and get a haiku,
the writer's got some 'splainin to do.

If you ask for a sonnet or a haiku you will have some 'splainin to do coz we ain't all as well edgificated as you is, obviously.

Throw in the fact that there are different types of sonnet (I wouldn't know a haiku from a haka), a vast number none native speakers, a wide range of age groups etcetera, etcetera and I think a little leeway and a greater degree of understanding may be required.

Regards Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Dec 22, 2004 11:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

No, no, no... (/em slaps her forehead... I KNEW I shouldn't have talked about poetry...)

It's usually pretty obvious if you've made an effort at a particular form or, say, a particular subject matter in an art contest, regardless of how successful that attempt may be. I'm talking about a point past that. If I say a particular form of poetry has eight lines, I expect anyone with a modicum of comprehension of the English language to know what that means. I am also fully willing to explain it, multiple times, and to give leeway with the form. If anything, some non-native speakers probably write better poetry than native speakers, if only because they're trying harder.

If, however, someone enters an art contest about ships and draws a Still Life With Pineapple, I have little sympathy.
Madam, proud Looterata
[Dec 23, 2004 12:02:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

If, however, someone enters an art contest about ships and draws a Still Life With Pineapple, I have little sympathy.

...But if you tilt your head and sort of squint just right the pineapple looks just like a galleon under full sail...

...or it might just be the effects of the medication.

Seasnake

Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Dec 27, 2004 7:56:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

From now on, all still life art that I draw will be at sea, on a ship, with a pineapple.

Matt, contrary because Pirates! needs a No CD crack and he just bought it
I took my own advice.
[Dec 29, 2004 5:27:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates