• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 330
Posts: 330   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 41061 times and has 329 replies Next Thread
BehindCurtai

Fall 2009 player level -- Red alert? Reply to this Post

So we've got some player activity numbers ...

That's a live image, so if you don't see it any longer, let me describe what it shows.

It shows population per server since last summer. You see a summer peak, then the normal year, then the current summer, and finally the two months since summer.

The two sub oceans started with (EDIT) Midnight having more less than Colbalt, but then becoming equal. Both on almost a straight line decrease.

The three old dub oceans show the summer peaks, and the normal year drop. But this summer's peak was much less than last summer's, and this year's normal is much lower than last year's normal.

Finally, Malachite declining, and Opal stable.

So declining numbers isn't theoretical. It's real, and it's looking serious.

What can you think of, that can be done, to make players play more?

Every time I think about it, it comes back to "Make it easier to find good crews, where good=fun more than good=successful".

I have no idea how to do that. Do you?
----------------------------------------
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BehindCurtai at Oct 27, 2009 4:09:20 PM]
[Oct 27, 2009 3:42:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

Re: Fall 2009 player level -- Red alert? Reply to this Post

Who cares about that? Look, Midnight will catch Hunter soon, just watch!

But seriously? Meaningful long term team based goals. Upping the average age wouldn't hurt either (before someone harps on at me with the "I am/I know someone who's young and can think of other people and can have a lengthy attention span", I know you exist; there's just generally more of you in older groups).

EDIT:

The two sub oceans started with Midnight having more than Colbalt, but then becoming equal. Both on almost a straight line decrease.

Cobalt actually started higher. Now they are pretty much equal and steadily descending.
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Kotetsu534 at Oct 27, 2009 3:59:18 PM]
[Oct 27, 2009 3:56:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colvic

Because there's such a spread of players over 9 oceans you get to meet or interact with less people and also play with less people, and with numbers dwindling I find that because of the decrease there's not so much going on.. parlour table activity looking dead and it makes me turn away from playing and makes me want to find something else to do.

I'd be for taking out quite a few of those oceans or just getting rid of all of the current oceans and making 2/3 new ones. One subscriber and one doubloon, or two of the latter and one of the former.

Different Tournament Formats please!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Colvic at Oct 27, 2009 4:09:03 PM]
[Oct 27, 2009 4:07:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Because there's such a spread of players over 9 oceans you get to meet or interact with less people and also play with less people, and with numbers dwindling I find that because of the decrease there's not so much going on.. parlour table activity looking dead and it makes me turn away from playing and makes me want to find something else to do.

I'd be for taking out quite a few of those oceans or just getting rid of all of the current oceans and making 2/3 new ones. One subscriber and one doubloon, or two of the latter and one of the former.

didn't they add more servers due to crashes around 1400 players? thats what i heard, may not be true. i think a server merge or 2 would be good, but the island holding flags on the servers getting closed would be pretty unhappy. we really need new content, i hope the new attraction buildings will improve replay value and get people pillying again. also revamping the image for a more mature audience would probably help bring in more serious (less flaky) players. my friends won't try it because they think it looks like a kids game.....
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Oct 27, 2009 4:16:33 PM]
[Oct 27, 2009 4:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

This isn't any real news, people have been following this trend for, well, at least a year now. There are some other sources that trade the decline even further back. It is pretty clear that whatever is causing the decline isn't something that OOO has done recently, and nothing that OOO has done recently has reversed the trend.

Does this really belong in GD? Seems like global parley would be more appropriate.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Oct 27, 2009 4:14:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UUSSAA

Well naturally with this economy we're trying to work up there will be less people. I say you wait until the economy is brought back up and not only will dub prices decrease and subber counts increase but there will be more people around ^_^ Just try to sit it out mate, dont worry. Bide your time if you must
A hero is not one who never falls, but one who gets up again and again, NEVER losing sight of one's dream!

Disaresta of Hunter
Captain of Lunar Eclipse
Queen of Aurum est Potestas
[Oct 27, 2009 4:14:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lunareclipse.at.ua [Link]  Go to top 
Colvic

didn't they add more servers due to crashes around 1400 players? thats what i heard, may not be true. i think a server merge or 2 would be good, but the island holding flags on the servers getting closed would be pretty unhappy. we really need new content, i hope the new attraction buildings will improve replay value and get people pillying again. also revamping the image for a more mature audience would probably help bring in more serious (less flaky) players. my friends won't try it because they think it looks like a kids game.....

Haha I know they would be unhappy.. do you think I'd have nothing to lose as well? 2 OCL birds a lime octopus.. PoE, my homes with their furni, I have as much to lose as anyone. But if the number of people playing continues to decline I may end up feeling like I wish to join them.
For me.. less people= less fun.

Also, I'm pretty sure Viridian definitely topped 1400 players at one point.

And the new content?.. maybe.. people have been calling for it but it doesn't really convince me.

[Oct 27, 2009 4:55:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Booya, population is up on Midnight.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Oct 27, 2009 6:13:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Add titans, smash islands, voila you've fixed stagnation!
[Oct 27, 2009 9:20:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Killermorgan

Not that I don't want Titans.

But I bet when they implement smashing of islands. The population will drop further.
"if you can't play nice, don't play at all."
[Oct 27, 2009 10:39:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Too. Many. Oceans.

That and retaining new players. Too much of the new content is oriented towards established/skilled players. Back when you could actually load a WF pillage, you could pillage successfully with new players. Those new players then got picked up in good established crews, that trained them up to be good pirates.

As a completely new player now, you're faced with a 6-7 hour grind on a sloop pillage with a solid able bnaver (as he's the only person who'd job you) just to get enough together to buy a bravery badge, so you can participate in what the rest of the ocean is doing. If any new update should be brought in, it should be to improve new player retention.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Oct 27, 2009 11:18:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Karnisov wrote: 
we really need new content

Oh, no! Pretty please.

How about:
  • stop releasing useless new content
  • stop fixing things that aren't broken
  • fix things that have been seriously broken for years
  • retain new players
  • retain casual players
  • implement social networking

Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Oct 27, 2009 11:31:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Too. Many. Oceans.

That and retaining new players. Too much of the new content is oriented towards established/skilled players. Back when you could actually load a WF pillage, you could pillage successfully with new players. Those new players then got picked up in good established crews, that trained them up to be good pirates.

As a completely new player now, you're faced with a 6-7 hour grind on a sloop pillage with a solid able bnaver (as he's the only person who'd job you) just to get enough together to buy a bravery badge, so you can participate in what the rest of the ocean is doing. If any new update should be brought in, it should be to improve new player retention.

I agree with that.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but I'm pretty sure nearly 3k for a doubloon is also driving away new players.

Kind of a radical (by radical I mean extreme) idea I had was interconnect all the doubloon oceans into a 5th "war zone" ocean, where there are islands to blockade... and allowing oceans to mingle. You could do the same for Sub oceans.

That idea is very extreme though, and has a ton of issues I'm sure (Players with the same name? Server load/lag? Stat curves? ). I'm pretty sure it'd also be a programming nightmare, since each ocean was designed to be independent of the oceans.

I think Abandonment hit the nail on the head though, by saying there needs to be more for greenies to do. Has anybody ever thought that perhaps the new "greenie missions" are way too structured? I know a few people who have nicknamed Bumblebeard the "Greenie Molester", since he pops up immediately after you log on. I started playing before he was implemented, and was able to figure stuff out quite easily. I, as a person that is always trying new online games, am always a bit annoyed when you're being walked step by step through everything, and can't stray too far from the pre-planned training.

Perhaps make Greetership exclusive again? Friendly greeters, with good spelling, capitalization, and grammar would probably help snag a few players that are on the fence about playing.

EDIT: Link to a larger image of that graph, so you can see dates easier.

Am I viewing the graph wrong, or does it appear that activity slowly went downward over summer... right around the time of this release? It's probably completely unrelated, but possibly something to consider.
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Strider399 at Oct 28, 2009 1:18:59 AM]
[Oct 27, 2009 11:38:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Kind of a radical (by radical I mean extreme) idea I had was interconnect all the doubloon oceans into a 5th "war zone" ocean, where there are islands to blockade... and allowing oceans to mingle. You could do the same for Sub oceans.

That idea is very extreme though, and has a ton of issues I'm sure (Players with the same name? Server load/lag? Stat curves? ). I'm pretty sure it'd also be a programming nightmare, since each ocean was designed to be independent of the oceans

Players with the same name?

Highlight a players name with the colour of there ocean, or the capital of there ocean next to it.

Stat curves?

How about instead of characters going to this ocean, a copy is made of thier character and they play that. The scoring curve is removed completly and players are ranked according to how they score rather then how they are compared to the rest of the ocean.
When the player goes back to there home ocean they go back to the original character.
Nunny
[Edit 2 times, last edit by nunny_45 at Oct 28, 2009 1:49:35 AM]
[Oct 28, 2009 1:45:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

The primary focus of most established pirates on subscriber/bravery badge trips is making it hard for new players, I'm sure ... and so are dubs at 2600 poe. Remember how far away your first sloop (and Officer badge) seemed when you started, and how you pillaged every day to earn it? Well, for today's new starters, it's two or three times as far away, and I'm sure that's discouraging.

The point about the noticeboard runs both ways. I'm a decent bnavver and my voyages almost always pull a decent profit. I don't whistlespam, order people around or enforce particularly tough standards on performance, and we tend to win expeditions and/or KB, so it should be a fun experience. I usually post a job and accept anyone who isn't Solid/Able in everything, but filling even a sloop is hard. I know someone will come along with the 'it's not too few jobbers, it's too many bnavvers' line, but I'm pretty sure I'm not one of the 'too many', and if I were to job it would be on an elite where I can be reasonably sure of a fun time and some PoE. The problem is too many bnavvers: too many inexperienced ones who are not properly trained and who don't give jobbers a good time. That's a social problem, in that people are made officer without knowing what they're doing, but the damage is game-wide.

Some of the suggestions of how to improve the noticeboard to let people find the good trips might help with that. I hope OOO are looking at those; they have shown an interest in revitalising pillaging this year (with some success), but trips that are open to the public are still too hard to make a success of.

The other problem is that most (or at least a large minority of) non-elite jobbers are, simply, rubbish. They'll laze, multiclient and straightline frays or booch their station in battle, leave you mid-battle, abandon you if you lose a fight, and all the other things that make running a voyage a real pain. I agree that this is probably a result of pitching the game at children, and more targeted advertising at students and young adults might improve things. YPP isn't a game for a short attention span or selfishness, and too many of the people on the ocean these days are like that.

Re dubs, as suggested in other threads we need large high end PoE sinks. I'm going to sound like Astrolabe here, but high stakes poker does serious damage to the puzzling scene: if someone can make 2 million PoE in an afternoon, it makes that 10k you made on a ship seem insignificant, and it puts high end gameplay (blockades or desirable shops) out of the reach of non-pokerers. It needs its wings clipped ... and adding a rake to it would add the high end PoE sink needed to bring the value of PoE up so the apparent price of dubs falls. PoE-only 'rich man's trinkets' from the Palace Shoppe are another good one, but looking at the Hallowe'en collection, OOO is intent on shifting more and more dubs through there.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Oct 28, 2009 6:23:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Oh, no! Pretty please.

How about:
  • stop releasing useless new content
  • stop fixing things that aren't broken
  • fix things that have been seriously broken for years
  • retain new players
  • retain casual players
  • implement social networking

well yeah thats what i meant, mainly #1. real content would be nice.
#2, yeah agree
#4 sure, not quite sure how to include greenies in rewarding content because their lack of ability hamstrings your team. content thats doable for a greenie isn't rewarding for an experienced player to be involved in usually. tricky design problem.
#5 casual is a relative term. do you mean pillyers?
#6 some way to post my achievements on facebook (not manually) would be a good way to let people advertise the game to their friends. i think an entirely new social networking site would be a mistake, turbine has one for lotro and not many people use it. better to put efforts towards reaching people where they already are. my opinion.
Karnisov
[Oct 28, 2009 6:31:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Not that I don't want Titans.

But I bet when they implement smashing of islands. The population will drop further.

While I agree it might very well scare off some of the established players, island turnover of this sort might help keep the interest of newer players; I think it'd be especially useful on the oldest oceans that have few to none islands available for colonization.

Also, I think it's been kicked around before, but the palace shop selling 1k poe sloops in a one time deal sorta thing to new accounts seemed like a good idea. Obviously the issue of people making lots of new green accounts and screwing the shipyard market is a problem, but opening up more of the sea-faring game to new players earlier on would probably help with retention issues.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by IantheKorean at Oct 28, 2009 6:36:46 AM]
[Oct 28, 2009 6:32:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colvic

Re dubs, as suggested in other threads we need large high end PoE sinks. I'm going to sound like Astrolabe here, but high stakes poker does serious damage to the puzzling scene: if someone can make 2 million PoE in an afternoon, it makes that 10k you made on a ship seem insignificant, and it puts high end gameplay (blockades or desirable shops) out of the reach of non-pokerers. It needs its wings clipped ... and adding a rake to it would add the high end PoE sink needed to bring the value of PoE up so the apparent price of dubs falls. PoE-only 'rich man's trinkets' from the Palace Shoppe are another good one, but looking at the Hallowe'en collection, OOO is intent on shifting more and more dubs through there.

I'm for giving poker a kick in the balls, it gave me two last night.

[Oct 28, 2009 6:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Poker is not the only way people can afford to blockade. Just being good at a carousing puzzle is enough to pay for multiple blockades.

I agree entirely with your point about under trained officers. They're appointed officer by a solid/able captain. These are the people jobbing fresh greenies. As a result, these fresh greenies are straight out of the game.

As for a fix, I think much harsher requirements are needed for creating a crew. Something similar to greeter requirements, but with some standing goals thrown in there too (possibly). I know this has been mentioned before too, but perhaps a ban on SMHs 2-3 days a week to encourage more pillaging activity. Or alternatively, having a free bravery badge day, so newer players get a chance to experience Atlantis, and have something to work towards, as well as gaining exposure to crews that can properly train these new players. I definately think the key is in retaining and properly training new players. This is a very skill oriented game, and it requires teaching, or certainly a lot of dedication.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Oct 28, 2009 6:45:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

No, definitely not ... these people won't know how to run a ship, and we'll have more pillages on the noticeboard that are no fun to play in. What you suggest would mean that after one pillage, people could try to run their own ... very bad. (Unless you aren't discounting the dubs, in which case it's pointless, as the ship now costs 50k instead of 55.)

What we need is exactly the opposite, a rebalancing of payout and/or fun so fewer people are trying to run their own ship. Bringing the restock down so it actually covers restock, instead of making the navigator rich, should do it. Bnav is already more fun than the other puzzles to a lot of people, we don't need a financial incentive not to job as well.
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
[Oct 28, 2009 6:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

You've misread my post. I mean these under trained players are given officer roles when they're not ready for it.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Oct 28, 2009 6:51:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

The primary focus of most established pirates on subscriber/bravery badge trips is making it hard for new players, I'm sure ... and so are dubs at 2600 poe. Remember how far away your first sloop (and Officer badge) seemed when you started, and how you pillaged every day to earn it? Well, for today's new starters, it's two or three times as far away, and I'm sure that's discouraging.

yeah i agree totally. people like to say "well dubs cost the same amount from OOO", they don't understand that a player needs a taste of the fun game experience before being willing to put in money. thats how it was for me.

The problem is too many bnavvers: too many inexperienced ones who are not properly trained and who don't give jobbers a good time. That's a social problem, in that people are made officer without knowing what they're doing, but the damage is game-wide.

Yes there are quite a few barrelstoppers on the game. The downside to making most of the content dependant on "forced" teaming is that team leaders become the face of the game for better or worse. One of my friends doesn't play much anymore because of repeated experiences with barrelstopper OICs.

The other problem is that most (or at least a large minority of) non-elite jobbers are, simply, rubbish. They'll laze, multiclient and straightline frays or booch their station in battle, leave you mid-battle, abandon you if you lose a fight, and all the other things that make running a voyage a real pain. I agree that this is probably a result of pitching the game at children, and more targeted advertising at students and young adults might improve things. YPP isn't a game for a short attention span or selfishness, and too many of the people on the ocean these days are like that.

Agree totally. I've actually tried jobbing 1 greenie per sloop pilly on a number of occasions, and it usually goes badly for the reasons you listed above. ADD/selfish kids don't make good teammates. lol. we need an image revamp to attract mature players, the website especially screams "kids game".
Karnisov
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Oct 28, 2009 7:05:54 PM]
[Oct 28, 2009 6:52:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouse2cat

What I'd like to know is if the number of new accounts created are declining as well. Maybe Puzzle Pirates could advertise the game more. I saw a banner for ypp on deviantart once and that kind of things may get some new players.

I have told a bunch of friends about the game and only one played seriously for any period of time. And this is with an experienced player explaining everything and giving them a few presents of poe and clothing to get them started. And inviting them into her top notch crew.

I remember when I first started I didn't understand how the maps worked or ferries or poe/dubs. And they have not made that any easier. How many greenies buy something for the first time without understanding the dub fee? That would be discouraging to anyone. Also giving awards for experience means that players who don't know anything may think they are doing well when they are sucking at the puzzle for a long period of time.
Crabcake on Emerald and Obsidian
Current avatar by Kolibri
[Oct 28, 2009 8:23:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.skoonberg.com [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

You've misread my post. I mean these under trained players are given officer roles when they're not ready for it.

Sorry, that was directed at the 1k sloops ... must have left the post open for a long time :o
[Oct 28, 2009 8:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rockitboy

Useless new content? Although I hate Atlantis, seems like a lot of people love it. I think CI is great and gets me off the docks. I don't know how the expeditions are doing because I don't pillage anymore. Plus a new forage puzzle. These were all good releases and got people doing stuff. Much better than when pets were released. Of course, they don't do much to help retain new players, but gave current players a lot more things to do. I still think non-sink CI/Atlantis would bring new and old players together. I'm sure people wouldn't mind hiring lesser skilled players if they didn't have to worry about losing a ship and chart.
Rocketboy
Cursed Isles, ridding the ocean of poor BNAV one ship at a time.
[Oct 28, 2009 9:38:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Rockitboy wrote: 
I still think non-sink CI/Atlantis would bring new and old players together. I'm sure people wouldn't mind hiring lesser skilled players if they didn't have to worry about losing a ship and chart.

I look for some sign of puzzling ability (distinguished or other clues) before hiring for nonsinking flotilla. Even a nonsinking "sink" can be a bad experience if the load time and battle time lead to zero payoff.
On hiatus. :(
[Oct 28, 2009 2:11:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

BehindCurtai wrote: 
What can you think of, that can be done, to make players play more?

Every time I think about it, it comes back to "Make it easier to find good crews, where good=fun more than good=successful".

That might encourage more players to join. It's less meaningful for existing players. There were at least as many badly run crews on Viridian when I started playing 2 years ago. It didn't hurt population back then.
Kotetsu534 wrote: 
But seriously? Meaningful long term team based goals. Upping the average age wouldn't hurt either.

These can help retain established players. More visible ad presence might help too.
Strider399 wrote: 
I think Abandonment hit the nail on the head though, by saying there needs to be more for greenies to do. Has anybody ever thought that perhaps the new "greenie missions" are way too structured?

The structured missions are necessary for brand new players unused to the game. If anything, there aren't enough big picture structured missions to help hook a new player on the game's full potential. What matters is whether the missions are easy to find, whether they're optional, and whether they cover enough ground.

But I agree with the other point. When I joined, pillages were the only daily shipboard activity. Now there are 2 bravery badge areas plus flotillas tying up a good 2/3 or more of jobbers at times. That cuts down the options available to new players. I'm not sure how to restore them.

Check out the stickied subscription ocean thread for some discussion of this. Suggestions included staggering the default starting ocean on a schedule, so that each ocean would know when to expect an influx of green players, making it easier to greet them.

There also seems to be a critical mass of players required for full game experience. Below 600, the game slows way down. Below 300 it grinds to a halt. Those struggling new oceans have run into this wall. Automated content and special low population content might get things moving again.
Strider399 wrote: 
I think it was mentioned earlier, but I'm pretty sure nearly 3k for a doubloon is also driving away new players.

No doubt it is driving away old and new players. I see a lot of occasional players log on, complain about how high doubloons are, and log off again. When the free players are gone, there's less for the paid players to do.
BobJanova wrote: 
Re dubs, as suggested in other threads we need large high end PoE sinks. I'm going to sound like Astrolabe here, but high stakes poker does serious damage to the puzzling scene: if someone can make 2 million PoE in an afternoon, it makes that 10k you made on a ship seem insignificant, and it puts high end gameplay (blockades or desirable shops) out of the reach of non-pokerers.

Doubloon exchange is another easy source of wealth for people with large amounts of PoE available, even before bidding wars and short term manipulation kick in. I don't believe pure doubloon trading should be a source of wealth. (Although as long as it is, more power to the people I know doing it. :) )
Karnisov wrote: 
yeah i agree totally. people like to say "well dubs cost the same amount from OOO", they don't understand that a player needs a taste of the fun game experience before being willing to put in money. thats how it was for me.

If 9 of 10 players are PoE only, rising doubloon exchange will drive off a large majority of the player base. Most paying customers aren't pure cash buyers, either. Many of the most powerful flags and players get rich off game money, not real life spending.

As long as high doubloon exchange rates continue, with average PoE payouts similar to before, average players will feel less incentive to keep coming back.
On hiatus. :(
[Oct 28, 2009 2:52:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Srjan

Facebook app; web client which opens up inside facebook. Spamming friends with new trophies/tournament wins/etc = millions of new players. Seriously.
IGN Srjan

Srjan says: Have a look at the new limited edition midas rowboat. http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/spyglass/entry/april_s_le_ship_is
Lovette says: Ok, we need more gold nuggets
[Oct 28, 2009 3:04:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zack7711

gotta agree... just in my experience i get farmville updates from people every 2-3 minutes while it annoys the hell out of me i eventually tried it. Just about everyone i know has a farm on farmville i could see it working for puzzle pirates

of course they would have to partner with facebook in some way. right?
Dup

Cobalt Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zack7711 at Oct 28, 2009 3:24:55 PM]
[Oct 28, 2009 3:19:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

gotta agree... just in my experience i get farmville updates from people every 2-3 minutes while it annoys the hell out of me i eventually tried it. Just about everyone i know has a farm on farmville i could see it working for puzzle pirates

of course they would have to partner with facebook in some way. right?

Even something as simple as putting the client onto Apple's free download server, and Microsoft's as well, if it has one.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Oct 28, 2009 4:05:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 330   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates