• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5205 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
lcawte

Photograph that XML (Advice & Donations needed!) Reply to this Post

Photograph that XML is an event I am planning on running in the near-ish future... I thought it would be best to post it here and get some advice before I send off for OM support... Also, feel free to donate anything on my list if its in new condition :D The original draft is here

Here is a forum version. (NOTE: This is not the event post, this is just a planning version.):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photograph that XML

What: A Photography and Tools event!

Contestants will have to photograph a landscape scene and recreate it on the Yohoho Tools.

The Photo
The entrants will have to go out and take 2 photos of their scene, 1 being an ID photo containing their piratename and ocean, the other being the scene image.

The photo may be of a city, town or village, but it must not be in the foreground. For a city photo there must be a reconisable object as the subject of the photo.

Yohoho Tools Challenge
After taking the photos, entrants will be asked to recreate it in Yohoho Tools to the best of their ability. For example, a field image with a fence could be recreated with Grass and Mud ground tiles, with a fencing and maybe a tree or hedgerow.

Prizes

• 1st Place: ''Photographer Package'' - A sloop (rename?), stocked with 20 rum, 40 small cannonballs. Also includes 2 full whisking potions and a inscribed trinket (of some sort. Insert after support email. Possibly an exotic coffee you picked up from your stops you take.)
  • 2nd Place: ''Designer Package'' - A fancy chair, a fancy book desk, a set of books and a portrait easel to draw your designs at. Also comes with an inscribed scroll with recommendations from all your previous employers.
  • 3rd Place: ''The Campers Package'' - A few things you pack on your quest to take photo's and construct some of the worlds wonders. Your not quite there yet, but your ever hopeful. A little chest to store your earnings, 2 rum jugs for water, bedroll and a slated crate to sit on. Also comes with some cookies, decided by entrant upon winning. Also, first pick at 5 trinkets from my collection.
  • Honorable Mentions A trinket from my collection.

Donations Needed

• Fancy chair x1
  • Fancy desk x1
  • Books x1
  • Portrait easel x1
  • Exotic coffee x1
  • Scroll x1
  • Little chest x1

This event would run for 2 weeks - 2 months to give entrants a chance to take their photos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to ask questions and give advice/criticism.. For palace shoppe trinkets, I am hoping they will be given by the OM's... I have my own set of common trinkets for the 3rd and HM prizes. If nobody can donate other furniture I need, I'll see what I can buy myself and then go for OM support. If you do have something to donate, PM me with the times your online and what ocean, I'll come collect them on my alt.
Edit: The name is the wrong way round, it should really be XML that Photograph, but this sounds better...

P.S) I forgot add that for the XML, you have to provide the screenshot, aka Save Fullscene and the XML file... I just like to be annoying that way
----------------------------------------
Lcawte All Oceans
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of Scottish Seakings
[Edit 2 times, last edit by lcawte at Nov 15, 2009 2:01:31 AM]
[Oct 27, 2009 7:05:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Re: Photograph that XML (Advice & Donations needed!) Reply to this Post

Lcawte this is a really creative event, I wish you good luck with it. :) I'll have a think and see if I can offer any useful advice.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Nov 6, 2009 1:18:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Just a question:
Are homes (yards, farms) excluded? If so, how come?

And I have to agree, "XML that Photograph" is more accurate in description and I would lean toward naming the event that way, rather than the other.

I love the idea though!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dexla at Nov 6, 2009 1:56:02 PM]
[Nov 6, 2009 1:52:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Just a question:

Hm... Thats something I'll think about, I'll edit in my responce

And I have to agree, "XML that Photograph" is more accurate in description and I would lean toward naming the event that way, rather than the other.

Hm, The Current name sounds better, so I might try and find something that discribes it, but the right way round..
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 7, 2009 1:39:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Just a question:

Hm... Thats something I'll think about, I'll edit in my responce

Ok, so I was thinking, if the scene is outside, and you feel you can recreate it in the Tools, you may do it. That can include gardens, farms, yards etc.

Note: If its an empty scene, aka, what would be a few ground tiles and a chair or 2, they will not be valid entrys. The task is to choose a scene that atleast has a bit of detail in it
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 10, 2009 8:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

That's a matter for judging, rather than disqualification, isn't it?
[Nov 10, 2009 9:58:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

That's a matter for judging, rather than disqualification, isn't it?

I'll give an example of the really basic scene that would'nt be valid some time soon.
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 10, 2009 10:10:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

lol I'm trying to imaging an outdoor scene completely empty...
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Nov 10, 2009 11:05:43 AM]
[Nov 10, 2009 11:04:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

70% of the Earth's surface...

[Nov 10, 2009 11:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

ok - good point LOL!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Nov 10, 2009 11:39:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Heres a very basic one in my books, wait this is just over basic. I spent about 2 minutes on it, the floor tiles were just a few mouse strokes.

Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 10, 2009 11:43:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

70% of the Earth's surface...

This is basicly what I would call basic, with like one or 2 peices of furni/prop or whatever plonked on it, though it wouldnt work with this scene
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 10, 2009 11:45:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Heres a very basic one in my books, wait this is just over basic. I spent about 2 minutes on it, the floor tiles were just a few mouse strokes.

I see what you're talking about now... but what if that's what someone's backyard kinda looks like? (I've had a backyard when I lived in the city that was exactly 12'x12' square - and that was big!)
I have to agree with Apollo though, it would be up to your judges. Some people will puts LOTS of effort into an entry, while others will plop down a little plot of grass and a bench and say, "I'm done!". You can't force effort, you can only score those who do put effort into their work, higher.

My 2 cents for all it's worth :D
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Nov 10, 2009 12:51:45 PM]
[Nov 10, 2009 12:48:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Ok, maybe I put a slight bit too much detail into that, But most people should be able to find a long path of grass and add various other bits of vegitation..

Also, the origanal idea was to get out a bit to try get a good photo that would be interesting to recreate.

Hm, I need to look back, did I add what I was going to do about judging, and if I had any?
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 10, 2009 12:54:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

I don't believe I missed this thread.

Anyway, I'd like to know how judging works. Are the photograph and XML judged seperately and make up 50% of a participant's final result? Is there any particular weighting? Is the judging based purely on the relationship between the photo and XML with the quality of the individual photo/XML making up no part of the result? Would you use a hybrid option and if so what would it be? I think you get the idea. I really can't see how the event would be judged seeing as there are so many ways of going about it.

I think that the above actually overlaps with the current discussion on the thread but I do think it need to be defined more clearly. If judging is entirely subjective and dependant on the judge then that would work but probably wouldn't be as thorough.

Also, it amy be worth defining the Honourable Mentions more specifically. A trinket from your collection could be anything from a Golden Clam Shell to a Tan Starfish or even a Skull inscribed "Defeated by suenggyei". Though the focus is on the main prizes, the knowledge that there are a few lower level prizes (and the knowledge of what they are) may encourage a few more participants.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Nov 11, 2009 8:53:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

I don't believe I missed this thread.

Anyway, I'd like to know how judging works. Are the photograph and XML judged seperately and make up 50% of a participant's final result? Is there any particular weighting? Is the judging based purely on the relationship between the photo and XML with the quality of the individual photo/XML making up no part of the result? Would you use a hybrid option and if so what would it be? I think you get the idea. I really can't see how the event would be judged seeing as there are so many ways of going about it.

I think that the above actually overlaps with the current discussion on the thread but I do think it need to be defined more clearly. If judging is entirely subjective and dependant on the judge then that would work but probably wouldn't be as thorough.

Also, it amy be worth defining the Honourable Mentions more specifically. A trinket from your collection could be anything from a Golden Clam Shell to a Tan Starfish or even a Skull inscribed "Defeated by suenggyei". Though the focus is on the main prizes, the knowledge that there are a few lower level prizes (and the knowledge of what they are) may encourage a few more participants.

The Trinkets from My Collection will be counted up and posted using code on YPPedia, then hopefully delivered by Mr Apollo.

Judging is something I belive I missed. The main focus on Judging is how well the scene has been recreated in the XML. That will cover a section of the overall mark, it will be over 50 but below 75%... The rest of the result is made up of entry Quality/Effort, Photo skill and the XML skill.
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 11, 2009 9:12:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Right, so as it seems no donations have popped up, I'll be buying most of the stuff.

I'm just waiting for some money off Stevensam (Prizes from his last event)
Lcawte All Oceans
[Nov 29, 2009 4:26:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Ok, I'm going to take another stab at this event, anyone want to read through the old proposal and add anymore advice before I do another updated proposal?
Lcawte All Oceans
[Apr 12, 2011 2:29:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I can donate some trinkets and/or eggs if you need some as prizes =) Sounds like an awesome event!

Edit: Can I donate on Viridian, or do you need 'em all on Sage?
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Apr 12, 2011 4:35:18 PM]
[Apr 12, 2011 4:34:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

I can donate some trinkets and/or eggs if you need some as prizes =) Sounds like an awesome event!

Edit: Can I donate on Viridian, or do you need 'em all on Sage?

Depends if I get OM support...
Lcawte All Oceans
[Apr 13, 2011 2:03:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates