• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 178
Posts: 178   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 40726 times and has 177 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB edition! [deadline 31st October 2009] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:
This month we're going to revisit the spirit of the original ongoing contest. This month is BYOB - not Bring Yer Own Bottle, but Bring Yer Own Background. We are giving no restrictions on theme. This isn't because we can't think up themes (we have themes planned for more than a year ahead!) - it's because we think it'll be fun to see what you come up with! This means that if you've had a brilliant idea for a background that just hasn't fit in with one of our themes, you can dig it out and give it a go. A previous entry had potential but wasn't quite right? An unfinished entry? A missed deadline? An entry you put in two years ago that you think would be popular? Bring it on. We are prepared to be surprised and delighted!

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail.

Please put "BYOBcontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{BYOBcontest-Portrait|Forumname}} (where "Forumname" is replaced by your own forum name!)

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive an "autographed portrait" (signed postcard) of Cleaver or Cephalopod, and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean or indigo, but can be black or gold. In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
October 31st 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.

Also, take note of the way some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
[Oct 1, 2009 3:32:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB edition! [deadline 31st October 2009] Reply to this Post

O cool! I am so not leaving it to the last minute to make something this time lol =D
----------------------------------------
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Oct 1, 2009 3:40:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB edition! [deadline 31st October 2009] Reply to this Post

Awesome. I really look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Hopefully this will give me the chance to work on a nugget of an idea I've been thinking about. I'll probably post some sketches later. :)
Phillite, Emerald
[Oct 1, 2009 6:00:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

I've always really liked the commodities tent.

SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Oct 1, 2009 10:00:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Awesome idea as always, Harlech.

My concern about this concept is that the background could become very cluttered, so we'll see how this goes. I'm also worried about colour palette.

I was also thinking of doing something more outdoors, so I'm going to keep brainstorming.
Phillite, Emerald
[Oct 1, 2009 5:35:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

Definitely looking forward to what each of you decide to do. I'll try to do some brainstorming, but I also have avatars to catch up on. =X
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Oct 1, 2009 6:08:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
salty1

I had entered this in a previous Portrait background comp,

With pirates: LARGE

Early Xmas?

How to post your image on the YPPedia.

How to put your picture on Yppedia -

Go to Yppedia , and log in using the 'Log in to edit pages ' link in the top right-hand corner of the page. Use your forum name and password (if your username has an underscore in it, it won't work, and you will have to make a new account to use on Yppedia - there is a link on the page). Once you have logged on, look in the links down the left-hand side of the page. At the bottom, under the heading "Toolbox", there is an "Upload file " link. Click!

Click "Browse " and find your picture file on your computer.

In the "Destination filename" textfield, name your file: Art-YOURFORUMNAME-PICTURENAME.png (replacing YOURFORUMNAME with your forum name, and PICTURENAME with the name of your background).

In the text summary, add: {{BYOBcontest-Portrait|YOURFORUMNAME }} (Again, replacing YOURFORUMNAME with your forum name). This bit is important - it is what makes your picture go on the entry page =D.

Thanks to Adrielle who posted this in the previous forum thread.

Inflame on Viridian.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by salty1 at Oct 1, 2009 6:49:30 PM]
[Oct 1, 2009 6:30:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Nice work so far Tideover. In your 2-pirate background, I really liked the colours you used and the overall feel of the location. I think you could work on the proportions and perspective. I recommend you bring the horizon up to about half way up the canvas as well as the palm trees. That way you can add a shoreline for the pirates to stand on.

As for the winter background, I think you could try outlining the snowman and tree, to push it closer to in-game art. Other than that, it's really coming along.

~~~

I have a couple more sketches, a single and a group portrait, a cove and a pirate hideout respectively.

I think I'm going to go with the pirate hideout, just because I haven't tackled a large background for a while, and I think it's going to be one heck of a challenge.
Phillite, Emerald
[Oct 2, 2009 4:56:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
salty1

Phillite, Those two sketches look awesome.

On your single portrait background I like how the tree bends upwards above the player, the lake behind it looks really nice and I think you should add a pelican on the shore.

Also in your double portrait background I really like how your fort and your boat are turning out. Maybe add some more rocks on the outskirts of the Island, add a crab on the sand.

I am disappointed that you're not continuing with your single portrait background I liked how it was turning out.

Thank you for your comments but I had not saved the XCF file recently and had went way further ahead. The most recent files I have of those both are in PNG format and have not preserved layers. I should know now to save as XCF or PSD as well as PNG.

However I might create a new idea with a different style of art using GIMP. If you have any Ideas please send them VIA PM or post in thread.
Inflame on Viridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by salty1 at Oct 2, 2009 5:25:12 AM]
[Oct 2, 2009 5:23:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelia

I like all of those Phillite & Harlech.

I had been working on a treasure cave (don't laugh - in 2006) but became disheartened after finishing one chest. Think I may look it out and reconsider.
Ryanne.

Buying:

Kraken Blood 11k, anywhere on the Midnight side of Cerulean.
Furniture in LE colors (spring green, ice blue, wine, banana, plum etc) - 10k each unless its a large piece of furniture, send me a tell.
Black CI trink
[Edit 1 times, last edit by taelia at Oct 2, 2009 10:11:23 AM]
[Oct 2, 2009 10:09:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

I'm still in scribble mode. Forgive me the figureheads, they're done from memory at the moment, I know they're off. The second is a navigator's map room.

Phillite, I'd be keen to see any of your three come alive. I think I've figured out how you've textured some of the wood you've drawn in the past, and I'm curious to see how you handle the stones around the fort. The exterior stairway is a nice touch. It makes a great focus.

[Oct 2, 2009 1:00:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avielle

The navigator's map room would be an absolutely amazing portrait background if you decided to submit that, Harlech. Definitely something I would love to buy, and I can't wait to see it in its finished form if you choose to forge ahead with it.
Simply splendid.
[Oct 2, 2009 6:16:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

I think I've figured out how you've textured some of the wood you've drawn in the past, and I'm curious to see how you handle the stones around the fort.

If you'd like the exact way I texture wood, let me know, though I must say I'm still not 100% happy with my methods just yet, but I'd still be happy to share. :P I really love both of those concepts, and I was hoping someone would tackle those new figureheads. They're marvelous, and probably past my drawing skill level.

@taelia A treasure cave sounds great regardless of how old it is. I hope to see it!

~~~

I'm still refining my pirate hideout, and I'm currently fiddling with the idea of the building to be made from a conglomerate of ship parts or bits of building put together. We'll see. :D
Phillite, Emerald
[Oct 2, 2009 9:36:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Digging out some older BGs, in order of age from newest to oldest, since the theme seems to call for it XD With pirate on request, btw :)

This one is the most finished

(Never Finished)

(This one was never finished)

One of my favs, but it isn't late enough yet.. still, I am cold, so...

This one is super old and may need to be redone, but it totally fits with the time of year :)

I have the XFCs to some of these on a flash drive, will PSE 7 open them?

Sorry for large post..
~Padme
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Oct 3, 2009 9:18:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Pandaxee6

*licks apollo* hey long time no see :3
yay portrait backgrounds >ww<
I've sailed the pirate seas for 13 Years.
https://sunnypriestess.deviantart.com/gallery/
[Oct 3, 2009 11:12:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Avielle, if you can think of anything I should include in a maproom, please holler.

Padme, I like the snowy and leafy ones best. Falling leaves and falling snowflakes could make for very pretty backgrounds. :)

Phillite, I was assuming you were drawing parallel lines for the grain and then smearing them somewhat, preserving the spacing but adding some waviness. I'll happily accept any texture advice you have, mate. I'm comfortable with form, but when it comes to color and texture, I just bang away til something kind of works.

As for the above, I need to vary the rope thickness to better suggest depth, and I'll add that half-pavingstone/ half-packed dirt flooring found in the commodities tents.
[Oct 3, 2009 9:21:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

Hi,

long has it been since I've done something for pp. so this is my try :)

see my entry's here

greets whitenose

PS: Harlech, i love your sketches. They are wonderful!!
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Cassopia at Oct 23, 2009 6:31:53 AM]
[Oct 4, 2009 4:13:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelia

I like that Cassiopia, it reminds me of visitng the aquarium (do that a lot with the kids). How did you do the radial light effect?
Ryanne.

Buying:

Kraken Blood 11k, anywhere on the Midnight side of Cerulean.
Furniture in LE colors (spring green, ice blue, wine, banana, plum etc) - 10k each unless its a large piece of furniture, send me a tell.
Black CI trink
[Oct 4, 2009 8:58:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sinistergoat

Quick question, do the pirates in portraits have to be opaque or is it possible for them to be translucent (like the ghosts at halloween)?
I've an idea, but it won't work with an opaque pirate stuck on top...
Sinistergoat on Viridian, SO of RATs
[Oct 4, 2009 11:28:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

@taelia: this is made in Photoshop with a tutorial i found via Internet like this :)

transparency, is only available for the ghost -> i think
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Oct 4, 2009 12:05:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Hoy Apollo,
Do we still have multiple options for two pirate backgrounds? That is, facing apart, facing together, and both facing left? Or was that limited to the Not A Couple competition?

Cassopia, really handsome work on the chest and anchor. About time we had an undersea rusty look. I'll invest in diving helmets. :)

edit:
Phillite and other folks that have experience with the large backgrounds: Are the four and five pirate backgrounds related to the seven pirate ones? What I mean is, if I draw a 4/5, do I have to worry about it accommodating seven pirates when uncropped? The dimensions don't seem to match up for this, but I'd like to be sure.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Harlech at Oct 4, 2009 3:21:17 PM]
[Oct 4, 2009 1:46:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sinistergoat

Pirate in a bottle, if we can make pirates transparent...
Just at the ideas stage, and i'm aware that at the moment swords would break the glass, just wanted to ask if it's doable?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sinistergoat at Oct 17, 2009 3:07:22 PM]
[Oct 4, 2009 3:37:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

Have never done an expansive background so I thought I would try one.

The colors on the buildings need to change but comments on the composition would be appreciated.
Cambiata,
~Currently pillaging the Obsidian Ocean~
from the Viridian (now Meridian) ocean

[Oct 4, 2009 4:40:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

What do the Snowy and Leafy ones need to fix up? Also, the top one, with the house and grass?

Thanks!

PS: Cambi: Awesome as usual :D
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Oct 4, 2009 7:09:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Cambiata, really cute. Your drawings have this slightly imperfect perspective that makes things look dilapidated, lived in. Well suited to a rickety village on a harbor. I reckon your layout is perfect.

Aha, Goat, I wondered where you were headed with the transparency thing. I like the idea, but it might require a restriction on additional items as well as transparency. I tried making your background more reddish (I think this can emphasize the greenness of the foreground) but I wasn't able to do anything convincing. Maybe the one of the larger backgrounds which allow you to fully surround the pirate in glass (feet and all) would be more believable? Or, would a couple of pirates in bottles standing behind yours help?

Master, hmm. If I were you, I might include some leaves on branches at the top of the drawing, to indicate a source for those that are falling. Or, maybe a few reddish trees far in the background. Or, coat the ground with leaves. One way to draw several convincing leaves quickly (though I like the ones you have so far) is to gather a few leaves, photograph them individually from different directions, and then just trace the photographs on the computer. I do like your stylized bark, though. Drawing proper bark can be flipping intimidating, as it gets more and more complex the more you look at it. But if you have time, it's worth going outside and carefully sketching tiny sections of treebark (2 inches square to start with!). After a few sketches, you'll understand more about how it is structured, and you should be able to make the winter tree pretty compelling! (Excuse the ramble, mate. Please feel free to ignore the lot of it!)
[Oct 4, 2009 8:26:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

Oh this one should be fun to see develop! :D
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

*Current Avi by Scheherazade*
[Oct 4, 2009 11:11:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Just popping in to tell you that I'm working on a background too! ^^
I can't get you a picture now, but I went for the good old treasure digging theme inspired by expeditions. I'm super excited because I've been looking for ways to improve my art and make it more like Y!PP art and now I can finally try some things in practice :D
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Oct 5, 2009 6:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bartholemu4

I've always really liked the commodities tent.

I would buy a portrait with that background - to date I have "bought" none and only put up the additional funds for a copy of a crew portrait.

ACtually, I take it back, I would buy as a portrait any one of the sketches Harlech has posted.
sic hoc adfixium in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et ni mis propinquus ades.

...Still waiting for my free cheese ...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bartholemu4 at Oct 5, 2009 8:16:42 AM]
[Oct 5, 2009 8:13:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sinistergoat

Thanks for the advice, I've changed to a 5 pirate background and having feet definately helps. It's still very rough at the moment but I'm still playing with ideas, but what about this?

P.S. Thanks Apollo for the distraction from all my paperwork ;)
[Oct 5, 2009 11:10:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
salty1

I've decided to quit on my snow background, I'll start that one next month.
I created a clear skies portrait background, Thank you a heap Phillite for helping me with the ocean, I've not yet perfected it though.
Please give me some constructive criticism.

Scaled Image

Large without pirates:
Here
Inflame on Viridian.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by salty1 at Oct 5, 2009 8:56:41 PM]
[Oct 5, 2009 6:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 178   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates