• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11838 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Avatar Contest! (Winners announced!) Reply to this Post

My sister Atropos and I have a serious problem: we both love nice things around us, which also includes our avatar. Since I'm too busy spinning all day and all night, Atropos decided to make us one but wouldn't let go of the scissors and this is what she came up with:

Of course I told my sister what a wonderful job she had done (ugh!), but convinced her to ask the players instead to see what we could get. As a result, here is an event for you to create our first "official" avatar!
And we don't want just any avatar; we feel that something that reflects our own interests would be best. It will also give us all the opportunity to get to know each other.

Atropos: Also known as "inexorable" or "inevitable", literally "unturning", was the cutter of the thread of life. She chose the manner and timing of each person's death (only in mythology, of course!). When she cut the thread with "her abhorred shears", someone on Earth died. In her YPP persona, enjoys having a drink and bashing monsters, or just pretending to be a ninja.

Clotho: Also known as the "spinner", she spun the thread of life from her spinning wheel. In YPP, she likes all "at-sea" puzzles and when not assisting players, loves to play with pet monkey Chimichanga, and definitely loves mythological stories and images!

Now, if you want an in-game guide, this portrait is of our normal appearance in the game; pets do NOT need to be included. You can use this appearance, or go in a more mythological direction, as you prefer, if you have questions or comments, you may post on this thread.

Prizes:
  • There will be 2 sets of prizes (one for Atropos' avatar, one for Clotho's avatar).
  • Prizes can be awarded on any ocean.
  • Each of the three pirates who create our favorite three entries will receive a portrait with one of us. (Portraits in Jade will be on our ships, other oceans will be from a palace)
  • Furthermore, these 3 winners will receive their choice of one of the following:
    Atropos or Clotho doll with worshipful comment (as soon as they become available in game!), Sleeping pig, Sleeping piglet, Sleeping turtle, Sleeping tortoise, Mirror
  • Inscribed Flowers for any other entry we like!

Rules:
  • Avatars must meet forum guidelines.
  • No larger than 150x150 pixels and no larger than 60 Kb.
  • Preferably, no animation in avatars.
  • Entries must be original.
  • The deadline is September 8th. Any entries posted after this date will not be considered.
  • Post entries to designated thread only. (click here)
  • All entries must include pirate name, ocean, and choice of prize. If ye wish, also include the inspiration for the style.
  • There is no limit on the number of entries per person. Once the entry is posted, there will be no changes to pirate name, ocean and prize chosen.

Para leer la invitación al evento en Español, da clic aquí.
Hier findet ihr den deutschsprachigen Eventthread.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Clotho at Sep 16, 2009 10:19:26 PM]
[Aug 22, 2009 10:35:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Re: Avatar Contest! Reply to this Post

Oh, why do you keep making these awesome amazing fantastic estupendo* events I have no time to enter?

I must have done something horrible to get the gods' hatred upon me :'/
Or more like, one of the horrible things I HAVE done must have been revealed <.<

*Ha, Google'd it!
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Aug 23, 2009 12:05:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Am I allowed to enter the ones I made for you already?
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Aug 23, 2009 2:56:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Am I allowed to enter the ones I made for you already?

After debating this issue for a long time and as much as we like them, the post indicates: "Entries must be original", so the answer is no, not for this contest since they have already been published. You do get a special memento with worshipful comment for being the first to create an avatar for us and that was very special to us! :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 23, 2009 8:04:34 PM]
[Aug 23, 2009 8:03:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Hehe, Atropos told me some time this month, I just wondered when...

/e wonders if he beat Adrielle to making Atropos' avatar?

Cant you magic up the ships on English Oceans for the portraits..
/e hopes

Hm, I sent a plain copy of my Atropos avatar to her a while back, It was on a white background.. I'm guessing I'm not allowed to edit it for the comp?

Edit: Is there a choice of what background for the portrait?
Lcawte All Oceans
Senior Officer, Privateers of Emerald Ocean. Former Governor of Barbary Island.
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of [url=tinyurl.com/lb
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lcawte at Aug 24, 2009 2:28:38 AM]
[Aug 24, 2009 2:24:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Thank you so much!!!

P.S: I will try to make you both another, even more spectacular avatar so I can still enter, lol =D
[Aug 24, 2009 4:28:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
salty1

-
Inflame on Viridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by salty1 at Sep 17, 2009 3:46:29 AM]
[Aug 24, 2009 5:11:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

This sounds like a fun event- I can only hope I have enough time to take part. I quite like the main prize too. The chance to get a portrait with an OM really is a one-off opportunity. Anyway, I've got a few questions:

Prizes can be awarded on any ocean.
Does this include Crimson?

No larger than 150x150 pixels and no larger than 60 Kb.
Could we include a link to a larger version as well as the avatar?

(Portraits in Jade will be on our ships, other oceans will be from a palace)
And as Lcawte asked, do you think you could magick up specially named ships for any Winners on the English oceans (and Opal)?
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Aug 24, 2009 8:59:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I always love avatar contests - it seems a paricularly nice way to introduce new OMs - I am hoping I'll get a chance to enter this as I have a few ideas.
Thanks for running this, and since I haven't actually taken the time to do so, I'll add a hearty "welcome!" and I look forward to getting t know you (though it may be hard since I don't speak Spanish and only logged onto Jade long enough to claim my name, not that anyone else would take it :P)
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 24, 2009 9:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melloup

I love the couple that have been made so far ^,^
Valorx On Malachite!
[Aug 24, 2009 5:49:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Prizes can be awarded on any ocean. Does this include Crimson?
Not for this event, only standard oceans may be chosen.

No larger than 150x150 pixels and no larger than 60 Kb. Could we include a link to a larger version as well as the avatar?
A link to a larger version is fine to add.

(Portraits in Jade will be on our ships, other oceans will be from a palace) And as Lcawte asked, do you think you could magick up specially named ships for any Winners on the English oceans (and Opal)?
Sorry, not for this contest, what makes our ships special is the name and it wouldn't make sense outside of Jade :)

Hm, I sent a plain copy of my Atropos avatar to her a while back, It was on a white background.. I'm guessing I'm not allowed to edit it for the comp? Edit: Is there a choice of what background for the portrait?
As long as it has never been published anywhere for any reason ye may use it for the competition. The choice of background is yours alone :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 24, 2009 6:32:18 PM]
[Aug 24, 2009 6:29:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
salty1

-
Inflame on Viridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by salty1 at Sep 17, 2009 3:54:55 AM]
[Aug 25, 2009 12:22:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I have a question for you! Would you prefer girly cute flowers and things, or more of a tough piratey-type image in your avatar? lol
[Aug 25, 2009 12:34:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
salty1

-
Inflame on Viridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by salty1 at Sep 17, 2009 3:47:04 AM]
[Aug 25, 2009 5:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Atropos-am I correct in assuming your pirate hairstyle is a simple ponytail?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 25, 2009 8:34:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Prizes can be awarded on any ocean. Does this include Crimson?
Not for this event, only standard oceans may be chosen.

No larger than 150x150 pixels and no larger than 60 Kb. Could we include a link to a larger version as well as the avatar?
A link to a larger version is fine to add.

(Portraits in Jade will be on our ships, other oceans will be from a palace) And as Lcawte asked, do you think you could magick up specially named ships for any Winners on the English oceans (and Opal)?
Sorry, not for this contest, what makes our ships special is the name and it wouldn't make sense outside of Jade :)
Thanks, that clears everything up ;)

[Aug 25, 2009 9:35:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

They're pigtails. I think.
Anchovia
[Aug 25, 2009 10:17:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Atropos
OceanMaster

Do we pay for our own prints? Or keep the original?

We'll be paying for the original and one copy, winners get the original and we keep one copy, of course anyone is free to order more copies out of their pockets.

I have a question for you! Would you prefer girly cute flowers and things, or more of a tough piratey-type image in your avatar? lol
Anything goes!

Anchovia it's correct, pigtails :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Atropos at Aug 25, 2009 10:42:27 AM]
[Aug 25, 2009 10:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Anchovia it's correct, pigtails :)

Especially since this note (I may have pigtails, but I can't draw them well), do you prefer computer generated or hand drawn? :D
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Aug 25, 2009 2:18:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Clotho: On drop spindles - top whorl or bottom? (If you're not sure which you prefer, it's not a big issue.)

Edit: I completely understand the spinning problem - I haven't been able to set mine down since I picked it up four months ago, which is great for the knitters I know, but has thoroughly prevented me from doing much of any drawing since. I'm down to one little 4 oz bag of angora top, though, so maybe if I don't get more fiber right away, I'll be okay again.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 2 times, last edit by tilinka at Aug 25, 2009 9:38:12 PM]
[Aug 25, 2009 9:28:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

It's interesting how everyone so far has picked the doll as their choice of prize. I thought the portrait would have been sentimental enough. Anyway...

The deadline is September 8th. Any entries posted after this date will not be considered.
Is the exact deadline midnight game time or are you being more "flexible" with the deadline. Thanks ;)

[Aug 26, 2009 2:50:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

The way the prize list reads, it looks like the top three for each avatar get a portrait AND one of those shiny things.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Aug 26, 2009 7:47:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

The way the prize list reads, it looks like the top three for each avatar get a portrait AND one of those shiny things.
Aye, that's how I read it too. I was actually noting that the portrait and the doll is of sentimental value (not worth any money) and that people so far have tended to pick the doll as their prize. Or in other words, the portrait is a perfect sentiment of an Ocean Master, I don't really understand why they want a doll as well especially considering they could get a prize that has material value... Then again, perhaps I've just got an expensive taste...

[Aug 26, 2009 11:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I'll need to get Insomnia back out of the library because I have yet to see Atropos wearing tattered scrubs and wielding a straight razor. Also, I'm not sure about the razor.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Aug 26, 2009 11:36:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

I don't really understand why they want a doll as well especially considering they could get a prize that has material value...

It would serve as a *cough* ransom thingamabob *cough* in case they'd want to play with our fates.

BRUHAAHHAHAHA!

That and they're squishier than portraits and have inscriptions.

:]
xeitgeist of purdywinkle oshun iz tired
i tumble around heer
[Aug 26, 2009 5:53:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bisdakbytes.tumblr.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Well Gup, I'm a rare bird. I don't sell anything that is given to me or I win and I've already owned all of those other prizes in this game so I would rather have the doll =)
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 26, 2009 7:28:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I'd rather a doll too! They are so cute! =D
[Aug 27, 2009 12:53:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
melloup

or so we hope 0.0 =p
Valorx On Malachite!
[Aug 27, 2009 4:49:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Well Gup, I'm a rare bird. I don't sell anything that is given to me or I win and I've already owned all of those other prizes in this game so I would rather have the doll =)
Something about the doll appealed to me as well, but I couldn't find the words to describe it. I suppose your "rare" pretty much sums it up ;)

Anyway, I suppose I better think about how to make my entry better instead of thinking about prizes...

[Aug 27, 2009 6:07:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Deadline in just 2 days... I know we will have trouble choosing!
[Sep 5, 2009 10:21:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates