• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3480 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Youngpoorboy

What should we do

I have given up on trying to give kids fun little ways to do things to earn poe and items.
UPDATE:ok not totally given up just slow'd down :)

I just want some opinions on what you think should be done to increase the fun and energy on the ocean. I mean there has to be a reason why it seems the ocean is getting smaller and smaller as time goes by.

I do care for the ocean to continue but i honestly believe this ocean will die if something is not done soon. People say this is for parents and there kids but you have to understand most kids do not have parents that play this game or even pay attention to what the game is there kids are playing once they look at it and see little cartoon pirates walking around they feel secure enough. Which is why i think i see the same people posting in these forums. the point that most kids that come will not stay on this ocean since most people on the ocean talk about the fun they have on other oceans which i hear a lot on /fo

with plain pillages kids will stay entertained for about a week or two if your lucky and maybe 1 of 20 greenies that hit the dock will stay as at least a month long player.
plus the other aspects of the game outside of buying stuff and pillaging become too hard for a young player. and for a lot of young player its even hard to run their own pillages.

This is the summer vacation for me and most americans not sure how other countries that play schools run but this is the most active online time for kids since i mean you cant be outside all summer. when school starts thats minimum 8 hours of the players not playing then the homework time of it (this is not thinking about parents saying they can only play 30 minutes as i stated before a lot of parents dont restrict computer time if the kid is getting the real life aspects of life done.) plus the fact that not everyone on the family ocean is under 13 but a lot are in school wether it be high school or college there is homework. so that can last from 1 to 2 hours on a normal day. then dinner time which if you have a family dinner its about 20 - 30 minutes. then bath time which bam another 30 minutes ( if you want to be sparkly clean :P ). lastly the people of all ages not staying up past 8:30 - 10 pm. so the count so far most people will get home after school around 4 or get picked up by there parents after work and get home at 530 they have 3-5 hours til they go to bed and the other task together take 2-4 hours there is not a lot of time
THE POINT IS IF IT WAS HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT PART THERE WILL BE ABOUT 30 minutes to 1hour 30 minutes max for about anyone in school to play no matter what age group.

This will really destroy the aspect of trying to pillage with way less people on then it already is. if not for sloops then all the other ships people have dumb there money into making. which would make me wonder why we would even allow people to buuy big ships. i even read a post saying its near impossible to fill a war brig on crimson during summer so how impossible would they think it is during school.

if you add more fun things in such as more parlor games more ship activities then pure pillaging. like even if they added like a treasure map you won off skeletons that was like a map for sea monsters where you have to go to it trying to avoid battles (or not) and when you get there you do a fray and if you win you get to haul a huge amount of treasure (just bringing this up since its super hard to get a high treasure haul experience as it stands.
thats probably a dumb idea but its a idea which is what i am askign for.

we get more players to move to the ocean or at least have a reason for people to stay here and not move to another ocean.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Youngpoorboy at Aug 5, 2009 5:25:38 PM]
[Aug 5, 2009 2:30:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Re: What should we do

The ocean is not being advertised yet. Once that happens, there will be more people. The reason it seems population is decreasing is because some pirates like to get their ultimates, or memorize the ocean, or just try it out for a few days, then they go back to their home ocean.

I saw many say that they didn't like the filter, so they weren't going to stay.

Once players are being shuffled here (because of their age), then, more brig pillages will be sustainable, even with jobber turnaround.

It just takes a little patience.
Jolyma

[Aug 5, 2009 3:00:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Youngpoorboy

The ocean is not being advertised yet. Once that happens, there will be more people. The reason it seems population is decreasing is because some pirates like to get their ultimates, or memorize the ocean, or just try it out for a few days, then they go back to their home ocean.

Once players are being shuffled here (because of their age), then, more brig pillages will be sustainable, even with jobber turnaround.

thank you that helps as i was not aware that they have not already been putting by age groups since i see most of the greenies to pop up are under the age of 13 well the ones that tend to talk to me and tell me how old they are for some reason lol. well i hope the beta testing does not last too long but may i ask you since you seem to have some knowledge about the game. how do you feel about the fact of school starting which in my opinion will have as bad of a effect on the ocean as the positive fact of age distribution
[Aug 5, 2009 3:09:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azathoth4

I just checked the numbers, 81 online, 25 greenies. While the numbers seem low, and it is only a spot sample, the last few times I checked it was between 25 and 75 online, tending to be around 35, so maybe with the new release and the end of perpetual tourneys, more potential players are being directed to Crimson. Again, not enough data to spot a trend, but 81 is higher than I have seen in a few weeks.

Don't give up, Extrodinary. After the initial rush, you have to understand there will likely be many who leave for whatever reason. Give the few that stay a reason, and eventually the population will grow, or at least not dwindle more. Helping others to enjoy the game is a worthy task, and I encourage you to continue. It may seem futile now, but it will pay off in the end.

As for school starting, I think it may actually lead to an increase in players, but probably not overall playing time. While school is out, a few may dedicate long hours to the game, but many have family vacation and other activities that draw them away from the computer. With school in session, I see more situations like, "When you finish your homework, we will go out for a pilly, OK?" So, instead of one pirate for 6 hours, we get 3-4 for 2 hours. Merely speculation, but that seems to have been the trend I have seen on other oceans and other games, usually without the parents coming along. Crimson I hope changes that particular aspect.

That's just how things tended to work in my house. Kids get home, play around, do their homework, I got home from work, we had dinner, and we used the time between dinner and bedtime for family time. Too often it ended up with me reading the paper and the kids watching TV, but you get the idea. At least that's how it was until the kids reached 12-13, which seems to be the demographic we are aiming for here: Under 13 and their parents.
Azathoth on Midnight, Viridian, Sage, Hunter, Crimson, and Ice
Asathoth on Cobalt and Malchite, because someone took Azathoth before I could
Captain of The Pallbearers, King of The Undertakers
[Aug 5, 2009 4:40:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azathoth [Link]  Go to top 
Youngpoorboy

I just checked the numbers, 81 online, 25 greenies. While the numbers seem low, and it is only a spot sample, the last few times I checked it was between 25 and 75 online, tending to be around 35, so maybe with the new release and the end of perpetual tourneys, more potential players are being directed to Crimson. Again, not enough data to spot a trend, but 81 is higher than I have seen in a few weeks.

Don't give up, Extrodinary. After the initial rush, you have to understand there will likely be many who leave for whatever reason. Give the few that stay a reason, and eventually the population will grow, or at least not dwindle more. Helping others to enjoy the game is a worthy task, and I encourage you to continue. It may seem futile now, but it will pay off in the end.

As for school starting, I think it may actually lead to an increase in players, but probably not overall playing time. While school is out, a few may dedicate long hours to the game, but many have family vacation and other activities that draw them away from the computer. With school in session, I see more situations like, "When you finish your homework, we will go out for a pilly, OK?" So, instead of one pirate for 6 hours, we get 3-4 for 2 hours. Merely speculation, but that seems to have been the trend I have seen on other oceans and other games, usually without the parents coming along. Crimson I hope changes that particular aspect.

That's just how things tended to work in my house. Kids get home, play around, do their homework, I got home from work, we had dinner, and we used the time between dinner and bedtime for family time. Too often it ended up with me reading the paper and the kids watching TV, but you get the idea. At least that's how it was until the kids reached 12-13, which seems to be the demographic we are aiming for here: Under 13 and their parents.

i like the point you made about people on vaction during summer and how during school they will be home and i agree on that so yea there may be more but there will also be less like me first month of school i wont be playing to make sure i can handle it but yes the fact that it could rise due to it seems accurate.
[Aug 5, 2009 5:23:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Well, the only greenies that will start on Crimson will be those pirates under 13 (or 12 I think the age minimum is on main oceans?), if I read the original announcement correctly. As far as I have seen, they have not yet started advertising the ocean, and are still in the Beta stage.

As to school, being a mother of 3, the way most school nights are, the kids don't get to go away really, and have to find amusements at home. They go to school, and any peewee league sports they do, and by the time they have dinner, they have little time before dark to do much outside. On nights they don't have little league, they can play outside or go to friends' homes before dinner. Give them 45 minutes for homework (my kids that play are only 2nd and 3rd grades this year), and they usually have an hour or so to kill before bed.

At the moment, they have to share my computer, since the laptop commited hara kiri. That means, while one showers and does homework with my help, the other plays, then they switch. They will probably get more time on the computer once school starts than they do now, when it's beautiful weather outside, and they have no obligations to worry about.

So, for the little ones, I would think that as the weather gets worse and the daylight gets less (at least on the top half of the world), you'll see those kids on more often, even if their time online is still limited with a time frame. (I usually say half an hour of computer is enough for their age, unless they earn more time through chores.)

This is just my observations though, other parents may do things differently.

I think the best way to make it fun for kids is to be supportive and understanding of the rules they have to follow, and stress that parents' rules come first.
Jolyma

[Aug 5, 2009 6:32:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Youngpoorboy

well lets hope so i still believe more should be added. i understand the time line that kids are allowed to play but theres things that can be simply added with only a short time needed to play which is also what i would like to hear suggestions on
[Aug 5, 2009 7:51:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I think the problem there lies in that we don't really know what had to be cut for rating purposes, and what didn't.

I can also (sort of) understand why sinking situations have been kept out. What parent would think it fun for their 6 year old to lose their ship and not really understand why? It seems that other than turning off certain features (SMH and flotillas and the like) and changing the way the filter works, most things are the exact coding of the other oceans, and the patches and updates will continue to be released with the other oceans. I'm not sure it's possible to turn off SOME of a feature on only one ocean, yet keep the coding integrity (for example, the sinking part of SMH adventures).

Of course, that is what my own logical conclusion is, but I may be missing key parts, since I don't know computer programming.
Jolyma

[Aug 5, 2009 7:57:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LordHiptos

I think where flottilla's are concerned there is a lot of experience to be lost from removing the Non Sinking BK's. On my first few days of crimson, i went on a BK hunt and was bitterly disappointed by the fact that every red imperial was just that. And a BK non sink blockade, with you defending the island is always better than just pure event blockades, because that seems to be the way that OOO are leaning towards.
As to going back to school, people will show their true loyalty to their crews and friends on Puzzle Pirates, by sticking with the game after the summer. It will mainly be only the pirates that have some skill that stick around. And new players are much more likely to stay. Which means numbers should balance out with Yellows/Greens and the numbers will steadily grow. Patience is a virtue.
Patience is for Bots.
Impatience is for reckless fools. Like Myself.

Clevar:
Senior Officer & First Mate of the Crew; The Never Ending
Prince of the flag; International Empires
[Aug 6, 2009 3:28:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

In regards to the length of Beta testing and how quickly or slowly an ocean opens and begins to fizzle out.... Just a few points here....

I popped by Whirled when OOOs first released it's beta version and I think it took well over a year before "officially" opening (I don't know what it's called when games stop being in a beta stage :P)

Malachite opened over a year ago and has been struggling population-wise. There was the initial opening boom and has now settle down to and average 200-250 players and they too are looking for the fresh blood to come to them as well. Sage, Viridian, Hunter, often average 3 times as many players. It takes a lot of time and patience and the only thing you can do is keep doing what you enjoy doing, with the people you enjoy being with... with the hope they keep coming back and new people will continue to show up.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Aug 6, 2009 9:37:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oceansadness

It is true a few people who now seem to have a lot of time to play will have much less, or even none, or maybe only weekends, once school starts again. But for what I have seen in teenagers in other oceans living in most of Europe and North USA, with long winters of short rainy/cold/snowy days, the time online may be higher than in summer, in fact. I am not 100% sure how this will correlate to younger children, but certainly it may have some effect. My eight-year old loves spending time on the computer, the television or the X-box, and certainly does it more in the cold months of winter than right now. Hope that info helps... and besides... next summer hopefully we'll be out of Beta ^_^
Sedna in Sage. Sedna/Seawaterdrop in Emerald

If it floats, shoot at it!
[Aug 6, 2009 9:38:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigbob83

if the ocean stay like this then i have one word for you

Dream on ..

Time will prove who is right

To truly protect kids, we should disable the Login button.

[Aug 7, 2009 6:17:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates