• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13095 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Shoppe edition! [Winners posted] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:

This month's theme is Shoppes! We're still missing a couple of backgrounds for our fine merchants and shoppers! Design a background representing a tailor or a weavery!

We are looking for single-pirate backgrounds this time.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail.

Please put "shoppetwocontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{shoppetwocontest-Portrait|Forumname}} (where "Forumname" is replaced by your own forum name!)

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a pair of "autographed portraits" (signed postcards) of Cleaver and Cephalopod, and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean or indigo, but can be black or gold. In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
August 31st 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.

Also, take note of the way
some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Oct 1, 2009 6:05:35 PM]
[Aug 2, 2009 7:35:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Shoppe edition! [deadline 31st August 2009] Reply to this Post

Yay! I started designing one of these incase there was an edition like this ages ago!

Let me know (PM) when you want the old entrys archived...
Lcawte All Oceans
Senior Officer, Privateers of Emerald Ocean. Former Governor of Barbary Island.
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of [url=tinyurl.com/lb
[Aug 2, 2009 7:43:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
lamour

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Shoppe edition! [deadline 31st August 2009] Reply to this Post

wiiiii I am up for this one!

Sounds fun ^^
I admire Dora
Back and moved to midnight as Hudie ^^
Reopened my avvie shoppe
[Aug 2, 2009 8:05:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

...Each winning entrant will also receive a pair of "autographed portraits" (signed postcards) of Cleaver and Cephalopod...
Nice! I'll definitely participate in this one.

I'm totally loving having one portrait contest after the other. Less waiting makes me a very happy pirate.
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Aug 2, 2009 11:01:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

Hmm... a tailor or weavery....

I own both, and was just bemusing that I couldn't get a portrait for either. Apollo, you must be a mind reader. :D

I'm going to attempt to enter on my new comp, but no matter who wins, I'm buyin' one! Or two. Or three.... XD ^_^

(Hopes her favorite artists are entering this time as well ....)
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

*Current Avi by Scheherazade*
[Aug 2, 2009 11:51:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sasuke1315

Yay! New portraits
I like a tailor one
Catastrophy-malachite ocean
[Aug 2, 2009 12:05:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Well, here was my first attempt with Gimp from back in the Spring edition. Man! I sure have a lot of work to do to bring this up to entry-level! Just look at that line work, lol! Oh well, thought I'd post it for comments/feedback. As always, your help is invaluable!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Aug 2, 2009 12:22:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Well, here was my first attempt with Gimp from back in the Spring edition. Man! I sure have a lot of work to do to bring this up to entry-level! Just look at that line work, lol! Oh well, thought I'd post it for comments/feedback. As always, your help is invaluable!

How about I start off saying I probably won't enter this one.. That, and I am SOO Buying that one when it makes it ^_^

Ok, some things to mention:

1: less thick lines on Window and base of the wall.
2: Thicken lines in places such as the hat and I'm unsure as whether or not the trees and clouds need it. The laraul (yes, I know I spelled it wrong) looks Awesome ^_^ (Plus, that and muffin hat are my favs, so... ^_^) The walls and rack seem to have the right line working, actually, so I think you are good.. Some extra shading might be all that I notice the need for..

Hope this is the choice! /e starts to save up now! ^_^
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Aug 2, 2009 1:41:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
sasuke1315

You know for gimp this is pretty good
Catastrophy-malachite ocean
[Aug 2, 2009 3:34:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

Here is a sketch of what I am going to do. Please give me some advise, thank ye.

Greylady, on the coat cuff of the navy jacket, there are some gaps between the coloring, ye might want to fill those in.

Edit: add the word "cuff"
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mawkawlaw at Aug 2, 2009 10:43:45 PM]
[Aug 2, 2009 10:42:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

I've a feelin' there'll be a lot of overlap this round.

SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Aug 3, 2009 2:56:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

wow that looks really nice, Harlech.

Here's how mine is coming along:

what color should I do the walls and floor?

Thank ye!
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Aug 3, 2009 1:48:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

To Mawkawlaw:
Can you make the table a little 3-dimensional, instead of making it completely straight at the top? It'll still be good if not.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Aug 3, 2009 3:07:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

Can you make the table a little 3-dimensional, instead of making it completely straight at the top? It'll still be good if not.

I curved the sides a bit, but I still don't get what ye mean. If ye are saying for it to curve down and have a line curve in the back, that isn't what I am trying to capture.

actually, I have found that useful. I get what ye mean now (after I tried it :O)

here is the new one:

I hope that is what ye meant.

Thank ye for yer help.

onto the shadows *gulp*
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mawkawlaw at Aug 3, 2009 8:20:48 PM]
[Aug 3, 2009 8:00:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Mak.

Back up a bit, mate.

First off, have a look at the existing portrait backgrounds, particularly the blacksmith, shipwright, and distillery: found here

Look at all the interesting things these mates have managed to cram into their shops, and still have them look balanced. Also, while the pirate will cover some of the content, there is still more than enough in each to keep it intriguing.

Next, I'd say visit some tailors in game, and make a note of all the things you might include in your background. Take a few screenshots.

Now, I'd say the first drawing step is composition-- how you intend to layout all your elements. So draw thumbnail sketches. All about two inches high. Do at least ten. Once you start working on detail, it can be very difficult to go back and rework the composition. So get it right, first. Here are some examples using your existing elements. You're going to spend hours polishing your work; It's certainly worth spending some time on the layout.

Good luck, mate.
[Aug 4, 2009 12:40:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

harlech, what size (inches or cms) do you draw yer concept before getting it on yer computer? or do you draw them immediately on yer comp?
[Aug 4, 2009 5:54:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

harlech, what size (inches or cms) do you draw yer concept before getting it on yer computer? or do you draw them immediately on yer comp?

I draw it as large as I can on a letter-sized piece of paper. Single portraits are typically ten inches tall. I draw in pencil, ink over it and then erase the pencil lines. Then I scan it in black and white (400 or 600 dpi) and color in photoshop.
[Aug 4, 2009 6:31:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

thanks. i'll be trying some stuff out and maybe post something to get some comments on :P big chance however i decide halfway i'd better stop wasting my time.
[Aug 4, 2009 3:03:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ickessler

thanks. i'll be trying some stuff out and maybe post something to get some comments on :P big chance however i decide halfway i'd better stop wasting my time.

Making art is never a waste of time. Even if you don't think you have a chance of winning any contest, you'll only get better if you practice! Do your best, and try to finish your piece! You got a early jump on everyone else and plenty of time to work on it.
Mobutu of Sage
[Aug 4, 2009 3:08:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
treese

Mobutu's got it right.

Like the pros say, practice practice and more practice.

I started a Mead sketch book from Wal-Mart about a year ago with very little skill in drawing (but lots of love of art), and I have history of not finishing any of my projects. 1 year later, my sketchbook is full, and my pieces have progressively gotten better over time. They've also gotten more detailed and very few, if any, are unfinished. I'm now on my 2nd sketch book.

You gotta keep at it and be patient with it. You won't turn out a masterpiece on your first try, in fact, the great classic artists took years to practice their craft before producing masterpieces-many not getting famous until after their demise.

And it's fun taking a blank piece of paper and working at it, to slowly see an image take shape and then finally the finished piece. I surprise myself sometimes.

Molasses said:

I draw it as large as I can on a letter-sized piece of paper. Single portraits are typically ten inches tall. I draw in pencil, ink over it and then erase the pencil lines. Then I scan it in black and white (400 or 600 dpi) and color in photoshop.

This has been a good method for me (substituting GIMP for Photoshop), but I've been working with scanning just bare pencil work now as well. Bumping up the scanner's contrast and black/white balance can really get the graphite to pop up black. You just need to be careful that ONLY what you want scanned is visible on the original document. It does pick up some erased lines if not cleaned off properly, but can save the inking time (and having to clean up the pen slips pixel by pixel) in the process.
TammyGal
Cobalt Ocean
SO & former Captain of Boochin' Drunks - One of the founding crews of Cobalt
Lady of the all-grown-up CAPS LOCK Kiddies, Super Awesomeness!!
(awesome avatar by Darkfaery!)
[Aug 6, 2009 10:36:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://superawesomepp.proboards100.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Sketch time!

I'm giving a tailor a go. I figure I'm not that great at adding detail, so I'm going to work on that this time. I'm still unsure about colour themes. I don't really want it to be a rainbow of colours everywhere, just a small set of colours. Any feedback on these colour palettes would be great.

I was a bit bummed that apothecary wasn't an option for this contest. Is there any reason for that?
Phillite, Emerald
[Aug 7, 2009 10:35:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Moondancer13

Sketch time!

I'm giving a tailor a go. I figure I'm not that great at adding detail, so I'm going to work on that this time. I'm still unsure about colour themes. I don't really want it to be a rainbow of colours everywhere, just a small set of colours. Any feedback on these colour palettes would be great.

I was a bit bummed that apothecary wasn't an option for this contest. Is there any reason for that?

Hey! Critique coming right up!

I personally would choose the magenta/green colour scheme, but does it seem a bit girly?
Aqua/yellow would be more unisex, but the browns don't really go with the aqua/yellow...
Perhaps consider changing magenta to indigo, that would look quite nice :)

I'm not saying boys won't like the magenta one, I don't know what they will actually think of it :) I'm just generalising

Besides colours, great job!

~Samoana
Samoana
Viridian and Malachite
I make avatars :P
[Aug 9, 2009 12:06:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

I also like the magenta/green/orange color scheme, it seems to "pop" more, its more interesting to look at then the other one. The aqua/yellow/brown seems a tad dull.
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Aug 9, 2009 8:10:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

I obviously prefer yer magenta-y color scheme, but I'm confused at why you wouldn't want it to be a rainbow of colors. Also, you need more purple. <3
Squee!
[Aug 9, 2009 12:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melloup

My guess is that apoth is not an option because when the portraits are realeased so will the puzzles ^^ Just a guess and a wish
Valorx On Malachite!
[Aug 9, 2009 4:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mariko216

Hmm..
I'll give it a go!
:D
Viridian: Joelle (/w Caramel); Sparkeestar
Crimson: Sparkeestar
[Aug 10, 2009 7:04:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sparkle_star216@mac.com [Link]  Go to top 
mariko216

Well, I tried doing it.. :D
Here's how mine's going so far:

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/2eq3v9d.png[/IMG]

Any tips?

(I'm trying to figure out what the background in the window should be, the wall color, and how to arrange the clothing on the rack... xP)
[Aug 11, 2009 2:58:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sparkle_star216@mac.com [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

It's a nice start, Phillite. ^_^

If I were to offer a suggestion on color, I'd say go with a maroon/green or blue/green color scheme, instead of the aqua/yellow or magenta/green.

For details to add later: (apologies if I've read the sketch wrong)

- I can't quite tell if that's supposed to be a loom or a window with a desk below. If its a loom, the top part with the barring doesn't seem to be attached in any to the bottom. If its a window/desk, the barring is probably unnecessary.

- The mannequin seems a bit out of proportion: the head is too big and the body too small. Actually, if it is half-in half-out of the picture, you can add quite a bit of detail, without the Pirate covering it up.

I love the whole setup, especially the hats up on the shelf, and the cobblestone floor. :) Looking forward to see the finished product.

mariko216, yours is looking good to start. The only thing I'm having trouble with, I can't quite explain. :-/ It seems that the floor gives the picture a 3-D feel (which is great), but the bolts of cloth and shelf seem too flat....

I'm sorry I can't figure out how exactly to express what I want to say. Perhaps the more experienced artists can interpret and translate my babblings. >< Still, its a good start. :)
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

*Current Avi by Scheherazade*
[Aug 12, 2009 1:49:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mariko216

Thank ye for the input, Gyps!
Hmm... Perhaps it's the lineart?
I'll try playing around with the lines... ;D
[Aug 13, 2009 3:11:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sparkle_star216@mac.com [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

To mariko216:
I like the start of the portrait, it's really good. I just have a small suggestion:
- I'm assuming the thing in front of the window is a rack, so I'd suggest that you put some clothing on it along with some hangers? I'd like that idea. Make sure to get male and female items on it. For example, you could put a corset with a gown on it, then put a swashbuckler's jacket with some pants. Put the shoes below the rack, and put the hat kind of leaning off the rack but on it.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Aug 13, 2009 7:10:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates