• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13795 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Luffi

Please answer these!!! Reply to this Post

After playing for 10+ hours I still have some questions that no one in game is answering...

1) After a successful pillage what is with the voting on the shares for each pirate? I briefly saw a screen asking me if it was ok and then it disappeared because apparently enough pirates agreed to it, but I only got poe, none of the raw materials that we got, do pirates get these normally or just poe?

2) I need tips for the sailing puzzle. Whether I try to clear the targets, make chains, etc nothing seems to work and I can't sail worth a damn.

3) Which fish are bad to click in the bilging puzzle?

THANKS!
[Aug 9, 2003 6:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Storch

Re: Please answer these!!! Reply to this Post

1)-voting is there as a form o' democracy so yer captain doesnt run off with all the profit, but keep in mind that the votes o' the higher ranked crew members always have more priority then jobbers
-all materials go directly to the hold o' the ship and cant be 'carried' by a player in any way. These materials can only be sold by officers or captains anyways.

2)efficiency is the best way, try and use as less pieces possible to clear the targets. Makin' chains don't be that efficient

3)nothin bad in clickin' a fish
----------------------------------------
Hoezee! Ik ben Old Tim Kapitein Van Den Vlaamsche Leeuwen !

former Captain o' the Dastardly Dragons

"Weg met het Engelse geleuter! Leve Den Edele Vlaamsche ende Nederlandsche taal!
[Aug 9, 2003 6:42:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Best to not click the crabs too much, though.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Aug 9, 2003 7:18:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Nafarious

... I clicked me a crab once.... Lost me finger too!
Powder / Fironia
[Aug 9, 2003 11:06:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    TheProphetKain    Hollow+Pride [Link]  Go to top 
GuybrushT

I'm going to have to disagree, I think that creating a chain is the best way to go for sailing. If you can create a chain so that you clear a section as a 'double' it will significantly increase your rating, and if you can manage a triple of a bingo, then you're, well...incredible!

-Seana
Pirate, and a Mad Mutineer
[Aug 9, 2003 11:21:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skipper

I don't think that's the case anymore. There was a discrepancy in the sailing puzzle where people would launch huge combos, get a high duty puzzle , but in the end not help out w/ the sails after all. I believe it was Peghead who said that now combos won't matter as much and that you would be rated on how well you actually make the ship go. But who knows, I could be wrong...
[Aug 10, 2003 1:53:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LapLem

sailing chains Reply to this Post

Yeah sailing is the way to go. it more than 5 in a row and chains are what you want. completing a set and chaining onto another set is the best I can go from nothing to full gusty sails with a good triple chain.
In all the puzzles chains are your best friend so chain as often as possible.
you perfect the chain and you'll be on the top of the sailing ladder in no time.

Lap-Lem the village tard
[Aug 10, 2003 1:54:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

What he meant is that combos now contribute to the speed of the ship. Previously they would increase your rating but not actually do anything, now they're useful
[Aug 10, 2003 2:05:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

no.. they have been usefull before.

what in fact is new is that rating now goes over yer complete working time, and the problem with setting up huge combos is that ye dont help sail the ship during the time you need to set them up.

typical example: ye start sailing, start building a giant combo, dont break much during the build time and then fire the combo right before ye hit the nav point.

earlier, ye would have gotten an excellent or incredible for that, now ye wont since ye didnt help the ship over most of the time.

in the long run, combos are still usefull, though, since their "work" produced holds for much longer now. so once ye got over the starting phase and had yer first huge combo go off, that combo will likely cover ye for the time you need to build up the next combo.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Aug 10, 2003 10:03:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Traker

I ussualy hardly go for chains at all when the puzzle starts I just fill up any whole I can (the real sailing outlined boxed) as fast as I can, I ussualy get good or better thru this, if you mess up and block off sumthing then just leave puzzle and restart I do all the time also when the puzzle is just too hard to do it easily. The only time I really try to get chains is when the board is almost cleared and I need 1 specific piece to clear it.
[Aug 11, 2003 12:00:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LapLem

I'll be honest I really believe the best way to do sailing is a good balance of both usually begin setting up a combo on one side of the sceen (a big 3 or four "bingo" if possible) and on the other side just get rid of the boxes. I can get excellent, incredible at most waypts and rarely get goods. I do it this way (does not mean it will work best for everyone) and I am currently bouncing between Ultimate and Legendary in sailing (I get excited when i get the Ultimate message and begin to dance then when it bumps me back I cry ;( ). To be honest if you are having problems with this puzzle just fill in those blocks, however if you wanna climb the ladder and are capable you have to get those combo's, cause I cannot see a way to do it fast enough without them.

Lap-Lem
[Aug 11, 2003 12:44:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Aye Reply to this Post

Lap-Lem has the right idea. Combos are still *the* way to get Incredibles, but consistently filling platforms, especially at the beginning, is also good.

Quitting the game and restarting is a really bad idea except for maybe right at the beginning of your first board, as it will reset your performance -- as anyone knows, getting a Good or whatnot in the first league is hard. Resetting your board just keeps giving you that disadvantage. You're better off sorting out the kinks.
[Aug 11, 2003 2:24:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

the secret.. Reply to this Post

lies in spotting which graphs (I still don't know the correct term for these things.) you can combo into eachother and which ye can't.. ye build some true performance clearing the non-chain's while carefully aranging what can combo..

now, If I've been missing something in combo land, please fill me in.. but I've found little relative gain from any combos that didn't clear a few graphs..
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Aug 11, 2003 4:38:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Actually, the benefit is pretty easy to see under specific circumstances.

When the 'performance icon' just switches from a higher level to a lower one, a single break will push it back up for one turn only. If you single-break again, you'll see the icon go down, then up again. Breaking a combo of two 4's seems to make it go up for two turns or so. Breaking a platform with a combo, and I think it's when the platform break is the one that makes the combo pumps it up for a goodly while.

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 12, 2003 3:07:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Voren

What about gaining experiance(like broad and solid and things)? What is the best way of doing that?

And also what do the stars at the left bottom of the puzzle screan do or what are they for.

What is the order of experiance from weighty up?
[Jan 25, 2006 4:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

1) Congrats for finding the forums and searching!
2) Experience is simply a measure of how long (or how many times) you've done that puzzle/game. Simply keep playing.
3) Duty stars are simply a visual for what level gameplay you're on. For example - I start out with 2 stars in carp, (maybe) three in nav, and 8 in bilge and sailing. Those are all based on my rating and level of suckiness at the puzzle.
4) Weighty, Expert, Paragon, Illustrious, Sublime.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Jan 25, 2006 5:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
TomRackham

1)-voting is there as a form o' democracy so yer captain doesnt run off with all the profit, but keep in mind that the votes o' the higher ranked crew members always have more priority then jobbers

This is wrong - all votes on booty div are weighted equally - however, the moment a quorum is reached, anyone who hasn't voted yet is disregarded.
[Jan 25, 2006 8:24:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

This is wrong - all votes on booty div are weighted equally - however, the moment a quorum is reached, anyone who hasn't voted yet is disregarded.

Notice the bump

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Jan 25, 2006 8:34:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
joypad

While the sailing question has been answered, I think more detail should be given to the question on booty division.

The materials won during the trip can be sold by the officer in charge directly from the booty, thus adding more poe to the booty, which is then divided among the pirates who contributed during the trip.
Most officers will not do that, basically keeping those for themselves.

A particular note can be made on winning high value items, such as Kraken's Blood. Some people divide the booty, then sell the KB from the hold and use the /pay command to reward the pirates who were on board when that unit was won.

Since the game offers both possibilities, it is usually up to the officer in charge to decide how to split the booty, and how much each pirate contributed to winning battles, gaining booty and keeping it until the port.

Regards,
Toranaga
[Jan 26, 2006 3:52:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

While the sailing question has been answered, I think more detail should be given to the question on booty division.

The materials won during the trip can be sold by the officer in charge directly from the booty, thus adding more poe to the booty, which is then divided among the pirates who contributed during the trip.

A particular note can be made on winning high value items, such as Kraken's Blood. Some people divide the booty, then sell the KB from the hold and use the /pay command to reward the pirates who were on board when that unit was won.

Since the game offers both possibilities, it is usually up to the officer in charge to decide how to split the booty, and how much each pirate contributed to winning battles, gaining booty and keeping it until the port.

Regards,
Toranaga

People say notice the bump for a reason. Those posts are 2.5 years old. Much has changed since then, the person posting is surely no longer waiting for an answer. No point in calling ancient info bad, because it's ancient. It could have been like that back then for all we know.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fanta at Jan 26, 2006 4:20:56 AM]
[Jan 26, 2006 4:20:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TomRackham

People say notice the bump for a reason. Those posts are 2.5 years old. Much has changed since then, the person posting is surely no longer waiting for an answer. No point in calling ancient info bad, because it's ancient. It could have been like that back then for all we know.

Notice the date of the post.

Notice my forum joined date.

It was bad info then, it's bad info now, and anyone reading the thread for the first time shouldn't be misinformed.
[Jan 26, 2006 6:00:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

An OM should probably edit the topic title.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Jan 26, 2006 7:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

joypad wrote: 

I'm guilty of this, I do put in poe for blood, but not for everything else, that's mostly because the amount of poes for all the commods won is so small that it won't make a measurable impact (maybe 12 poe per pirate or something equally as small.)
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squeak22 at Jan 26, 2006 11:29:35 AM]
[Jan 26, 2006 11:29:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

[quote][quote]
I'm guilty of this, I do put in poe for blood, but not for everything else, that's mostly because the amount of poes for all the commods won is so small that it won't make a measurable impact (maybe 12 poe per pirate or something equally as small.)[/quote]

Aye. I know of very few officers who actually sell minor commods. I'll do it if it's been an awful trip and I want to make it up to the players a little. But even a thousand or two in basic commodity poe is a pittance on a sloop pillage where everyone walks off with 15k. And the value of basic commodities plundered is rarely that high.
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 26, 2006 2:26:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
bertiebucket

I ussualy hardly go for chains at all when the puzzle starts I just fill up any whole I can (the real sailing outlined boxed) as fast as I can, I ussualy get good or better thru this, if you mess up and block off sumthing then just leave puzzle and restart I do all the time also when the puzzle is just too hard to do it easily. The only time I really try to get chains is when the board is almost cleared and I need 1 specific piece to clear it.

With the above, leaving the puzzle and re-enetring is not a good idea (unless its the 1st board) if it's not yer 1st board and u get a bad board booch it and start again as your sail will be up from the board u cleared before, also getting doubles all the time will give you Excellent everytime and a few Triples thrown in you get Increds

Spitdedog
[Jan 29, 2006 6:54:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

A penalty was added for entering and leaving the (same) duty puzzle to stop board shopping (bilging in particular). This is why that old tactic will no longer work. Gunnery appears to be largely unaffected - possibly because there is no directly equivalent glowing meter like the other duty puzzles.

Faulkston,
:-/
[Jan 29, 2006 10:12:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates