• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 910
Posts: 910   Pages: 31   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 69543 times and has 909 replies Next Thread
Chavez67

Catchall college football thread Reply to this Post

It's about that time.

----------------------------------------

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 29, 2009 5:29:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dexterbug

Re: Catchall college football thread Reply to this Post

I'll play.

09/12 @ Columbus. Should be interesting now that Pryor's the starting QB.

If it swells, ride it!

[Jul 29, 2009 7:09:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jul 29, 2009 8:23:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

David Cutcliffe says "We are a bowl team!" Too bad we're only gonna win maybe 3 games this year, coach!

Also, a report on special teams suits and dress collars: are they too tight?

Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by StuManchu at Jul 29, 2009 8:44:31 AM]
[Jul 29, 2009 8:44:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

I would not be surprised at all to see Duke make a bowl game this year. Cuttcliffe is a damn, damn good coach. You guys should count yourselves very lucky you were able to land him, he's leaps and bounds better than Chizik or Kiffin. I'm amazed Tennessee didn't hire him.

And I hate to say it for you guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Tennessee in two or three years. I bet he takes yall to at least one bowl game first. Maybe two.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 29, 2009 8:48:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Also, a report on special teams suits and dress collars: are they too tight?

The problem with suits, and collars, is that they assume the wearer has a neck.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 29, 2009 8:58:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Who are we going to win against?

Richmond, Army, NC Central. Then... mayyyybe Virginia or NC State?

To be honest I don't know enough about the ACC football teams to comment. Tech, Tech, UNC, Wake, Miami will wipe the floor with us. That leaves NC State, Virginia and Maryland in conference.

I do love Dave Cutcliffe though :3 :3

GT is up in the top 25 in almost everyone's poll dude this'll be an exciting season for y'all!

OH and most importantly, August marks the glorious yearly end of the America's Pasttime Sports Drought that stretches from late March until this time. I can't stand baseball.
Was once Stuyvesant

[Edit 1 times, last edit by StuManchu at Jul 29, 2009 9:06:02 AM]
[Jul 29, 2009 9:04:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

I like to do things in terms of probabilities. Then you sum them to determine an expected win value. If you wanted to get fancy, you could even do a confidence interval for each number and figure out a range, but I don't bother.

Here's what I've got for Duke:

(chance of victory) (vs team)

100% Richmond
90% Army
40% Kansas
100% NC Central
20% VT
30% State
40% Maryland
70% UVA
30% UNC
10% GT
40% Miami
30% Wake

Adds up to 6 wins. You'll be 3-1 or 4-0 going into VT at home, and VT could very well be 2-2 coming into that game, considering they open with Bama and could lose to either Nebraska or Miami. You might even get on national TV for that game!

Tech looks very strong this year. We have the most returning starters of anyone in the ACC, and PJ coached teams typically improve their most on offense between year 1 and year 2. We also open with two straight nationally televised Thursday night games, vs Clemson and Miami, which are both very winnable. If we open 3-0 after that, with the exposure we get we should be top ten fairly quickly. The championship game always comes down to whoever wins the GT/VT game, and I don't see that being any different this year.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chavez67 at Jul 29, 2009 9:22:06 AM]
[Jul 29, 2009 9:19:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julephenia

Mostly because you brought up football in general, but also because he spent so much of his career in college football before moving to the pros...

RIP Jim Johnson. You will be sorely, sorely missed.

Jule,
Iggles fan bleeding green

(Oh, yeah, and um, Go Rutgers! ...Don't laugh at me.)
Oz is REAL, DAMMIT.
[Jul 29, 2009 9:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

In the unlikely event I get to watch any of this, I'll be interested in seeing Coach Snyder part 2.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jul 29, 2009 10:26:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Despite having a real tough schedule, I think my Huskers will do well this year.
Ship on Sage
[Jul 29, 2009 3:22:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

I'll play.

09/12 @ Columbus. Should be interesting now that Pryor's the starting QB.

I raise your Taylor Mays, with Eric Berry.

The best safety in the nation.

"Shwayze" on Emerald

King of Unwanted Attention
[Jul 29, 2009 7:30:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

As my Vols have the worst QB situation in the nation, I predict a 8-4 record.

With losses to: UGA/UF/Bama and Ole Miss.
"Shwayze" on Emerald

[Jul 29, 2009 7:33:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

I would not be surprised at all to see Duke make a bowl game this year. Cuttcliffe is a damn, damn good coach. You guys should count yourselves very lucky you were able to land him, he's leaps and bounds better than Chizik or Kiffin. I'm amazed Tennessee didn't hire him.

And I hate to say it for you guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Tennessee in two or three years. I bet he takes yall to at least one bowl game first. Maybe two.

As a life-long die hard UT fan, there is no way I could see us taking him back. Not only was his offense not upto date with the Florida's of the world, it tended to be in-effective in the 2nd half of our games. Not to mention his lingering health issues.

Dating back to the start of our program, we havent hired one coach that was outside the state of Tennessee. By that I mean, we didnt look for coaches, that had never been part of our university. UT was in need of new blood, and Kiffin is doing great so far.

Dont hate on Kiffin, the younger generation Vol fans(like myself) absolutely love the guy :P
"Shwayze" on Emerald

[Jul 29, 2009 7:40:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Apparently people in Tennessee can't edit their posts.

I don't think the Vols are going to do well this year. Kiffin is making them a big ol' target and who is the QB? 8-4 is a ridiculously generous prediction, although I haven't seen your schedule. Maybe you're playing 8 games against creampuffs.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squashbuckle at Jul 29, 2009 9:59:21 PM]
[Jul 29, 2009 9:55:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jenny

Go oklahoma University!! woot woot.

oh wait.. is this the right thread? what?

oh well.
Hypnos wrote: 
I appreciate your (mostly) harmless habit of posting scantily clad pictures in Shore Leave threads.

Tokinjen/Dancinjen Everywhere!
[Jul 29, 2009 10:01:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

Apparently people in Tennessee can't edit their posts.

I don't think the Vols are going to do well this year. Kiffin is making them a big ol' target and who is the QB? 8-4 is a ridiculously generous prediction, although I haven't seen your schedule. Maybe you're playing 8 games against creampuffs.

I guess you're referring to why I had 3 posts simultaneously? Honestly, if thats the reason, get over it.

Getting back to topic, yes, our schedule is extremly generous compared to previous' years.

See for yourself

CLK is making us a target for who? UF/Bama? So what, we knew we were going to lose against those 2 teams regardless of who our HC was.

He is getting UT back on the map, and there is nothing wrong with that.
"Shwayze" on Emerald

[Edit 1 times, last edit by outcast4life at Jul 30, 2009 12:05:17 AM]
[Jul 30, 2009 12:02:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

I am also confused as to Tennessee being a "target". Are other teams going to try to beat them EVEN HARDER than before because of their coach?

That IS a hell of a schedule. The last time I was at Tennessee was the game where Duke actually scored a lot, but then lost in the last quarter. I know this because I was told after the fact and I don't remember a lot of the game.
Was once Stuyvesant

[Jul 30, 2009 6:34:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

As a life-long die hard UT fan, there is no way I could see us taking him back. Not only was his offense not upto date with the Florida's of the world, it tended to be in-effective in the 2nd half of our games. Not to mention his lingering health issues.

Dating back to the start of our program, we havent hired one coach that was outside the state of Tennessee. By that I mean, we didnt look for coaches, that had never been part of our university. UT was in need of new blood, and Kiffin is doing great so far.

Dont hate on Kiffin, the younger generation Vol fans(like myself) absolutely love the guy :P

Kiffin is a clown, and will turn your program into a Joke.

T minus 18 months until you sing a different tune.

Feel free to come back and look at this thread at that time.

Tennessee this year:

(chance of a win) (vs team)
90% Western Kentucky
40% UCLA
10% Florida
80% Ohio
60% Auburn (battle of the retards)
30% Georgia
10% Alabama
40% South Carolina
60% Memphis
30% Mississippi
50% Vanderbilt
50% Kentucky

Expected Value = 5.5 wins

I am also confused as to Tennessee being a "target". Are other teams going to try to beat them EVEN HARDER than before because of their coach?

Yes, because their coach is a clown. Slinging NCAA violations on twitter, calling out other coaches in press conferences, and generally acting like a jackanapes. Imagine Tennessee roamed through the parking lot at random and picked the drunkest fan they could find and made him Head Coach, and you'd see about what Kiffin has done so far.

His wife, however, woah momma.

Maam, I'd like another glass of gatoraide please.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chavez67 at Jul 30, 2009 8:39:12 AM]
[Jul 30, 2009 8:35:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

Tennessee this year:

(chance of a win) (vs team)
90% Western Kentucky
40% UCLA
10% Florida
80% Ohio
60% Auburn (battle of the retards)
30% Georgia
10% Alabama
40% South Carolina
60% Memphis
30% Mississippi
50% Vanderbilt
50% Kentucky

Expected Value = 5.5 wins

Here is how I see it...

WKU-W
UCLA-W
UF-L
Ohio-W
Auburn-W
UGA-L
Bama-L
USCe-W
Mem-W
Miss-L
Vandy-W
UK-W

There are a few games that you predicted, that just dont make much sense to me.

1.)Giving us 40% against UCLA, a team that "just might" have a worse QB situation than us, makes no sense. Especially since you give us 60% against a much better AU team...

2.) Only reason UT lost to SC in the past is because of Foolmore and his clowns running the show. Phil couldnt beat Spurrier, and he knew it. Hopefully CLK doesnt have that problem, if so, id say its 60/40 favoring us.

3.) We shouldnt have a problem with Memphis, we never do. Anywhere from a 75-80% chance of a W against them.

4.) And finally, you say 50/50 against both Vandy/UK...HAH. I guess you dont know of our history with those 2 programs. We have won 24 straight against UK, and have won 25 of the last 26 against Vandy.

**I wouldnt even give us a 1% chance against UF lmao, if we only lose by 35, ill be fine :P

And saying Kiffin is going to turn our program into a joke might be one of the dumbest things you can say. Lets look what he has done so far: In a month and a half of full-recruitment, he landed a top 10 class, the #1 prospect in the nation, and a handful of skill players that we desperatly need. Hell, we even stole a big time recruit from Florida.

Kiffin at the SEC media day stated that he only said those things to get UT back in the national spotlight, and there is nothing wrong with that, especially since we have been a dying program since '01.

Kiffin, might not be the best coach out there, but he is doing a hell of a job so far, and in time, you will see how it will all pay off.

With Foolmore, we had nothing to look foward too, it was the s.o.s with him. 2 losing seasons in 4 years doesnt cut it, sorry.

I however do agree with you on Layla Kiffin, smokin hot.
"Shwayze" on Emerald

[Jul 30, 2009 10:50:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

1.)Giving us 40% against UCLA, a team that "just might" have a worse QB situation than us, makes no sense. Especially since you give us 60% against a much better AU team...

Auburn might not win a game in conference this year. Auburn is horrible. They basically nuked their entire football program with last year's antics, and they won't be back to bowl level until Chizik is gone, at a minimum.

You are aware that Chizik's two seasons at Iowa State were 3-9 and 2-10, right? He's clueless. You could add every win he's ever had as a head coach and still not get enough wins to go to 1 bowl game.

Don't preach to me about history. History only applies when you have some relationship to that history. Yall are starting from scratch this year, and have made basically the same hiring mistake Nebraska did when they fired Frank Solich and hired Bill Callahan. Except Bill Callahan actually had SOME kind of resume, which Kiffen does not. All he has is his dad.

Hey, time will tell. I think it's 50/50 yall don't make a bowl this year, and it's 80/20 Auburn doesn't. If you're so sure that both will make bowls, then perhaps you'd like to place a wager?

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chavez67 at Jul 30, 2009 11:18:26 AM]
[Jul 30, 2009 11:16:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

And a hot wife!

(we need some fresh blood in here Tennessee is boring)
Was once Stuyvesant

[Jul 30, 2009 11:18:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

And a hot wife!

(we need some fresh blood in here Tennessee is boring)

They keep pretending it's in Austin though.

I'm predicting a bowl game for the Aggies with an outside shot at a good record to finish.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 30, 2009 11:24:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

Auburn might not win a game in conference this year. Auburn is horrible. They basically nuked their entire football program with last year's antics, and they won't be back to bowl level until Chizik is gone, at a minimum.

You are aware that Chizik's two seasons at Iowa State were 3-9 and 2-10, right? He's clueless. You could add every win he's ever had as a head coach and still not get enough wins to go to 1 bowl game.

Don't preach to me about history. History only applies when you have some relationship to that history. Yall are starting from scratch this year, and have made basically the same hiring mistake Nebraska did when they fired Frank Solich and hired Bill Callahan. Except Bill Callahan actually had SOME kind of resume, which Kiffen does not. All he has is his dad.

Hey, time will tell. I think it's 50/50 yall don't make a bowl this year, and it's 80/20 Auburn doesn't. If you're so sure that both will make bowls, then perhaps you'd like to place a wager?

Im aware of AU's situation and I beleive they made a huge mistake not hiring Gill, however, if you matched them up against UCLA, many would take AU as the favorite. Not to mention Neil Caudle(sp?) will most likely be the starter now, he was a former elite 11 QB camp member. Maybe he will be their answer?

And you cant judge Kiffin by his time in Oakland, he didnt even get to hire is OWN COORDINATORS. Al Davis is the real HC of Oakland, everyone else involved are puppets. If you recall Kiffin was against drafting Russell, what did Al Davis do? Drafted Russell.

Oh, well, time will tell.

:)
"Shwayze" on Emerald

[Jul 30, 2009 11:34:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

I'm predicting a bowl game for the Aggies with an outside shot at a good record to finish.

I don't know enough about Big 12 football to even prognosticate. A&M's problem is they've got a really tough division to play in.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 30, 2009 12:08:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

I'm thinking that Texas will NOT choke it out like they did last year.
Was once Stuyvesant

[Jul 30, 2009 12:16:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dexterbug

I'm thinking that Texas will NOT choke it out like they did last year.

10/31. Robinson to Bryant will be like Harrell to Crabtree. Good setup for their 11/28 matchup vs OU.

Trying to figure out which game the Trojans will lose focus on the most.

Sept. 5 San Jose State
Sept. 12 @ Ohio State
Sept. 19 @ Washington
Sept. 26 Washington State
Oct. 3 @ California
Oct. 10 Arizona
Oct. 17 @ Notre Dame
Oct. 24 Oregon State
Oct. 31 @ Oregon
Nov. 7 @ Arizona State
Nov. 14 Stanford
Nov. 28 UCLA

I'm guessing Notre Dame.

If it swells, ride it!

[Jul 30, 2009 12:27:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

I want to say Cal so bad because it would make my hotel a lot of money, but... the bears ain't lookin particularly awesome.
Was once Stuyvesant

[Jul 30, 2009 12:41:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Southern Cal loses two games, but nobody can predict which ones, then beats the crap out of another poor Big Ten champion in the Rose Bowl.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 30, 2009 1:14:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Also ..

Tennessee Football?

What the FRO?

Chains? Really?

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 30, 2009 1:19:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 910   Pages: 31   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates