• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 195
Posts: 195   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27416 times and has 194 replies Next Thread
AquaDrake

Re: Spades-palooza [Dial-up Warning. Many images within.] Reply to this Post

Since I don't know that my partner or opponent will nil, looking at this I see 8 tricks for me.

9 might be pushing it.

Oh, I just noticed -- what is the "6/7" in the lower corner?
----------------------------------------
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Feb 26, 2005 7:23:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I put that on to remind me what happened.

I bid 6 tricks, and took only 7.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 26, 2005 8:04:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Place your bids now:

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 26, 2005 11:06:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

8 :)
Tawnee says, "What freak would sig Shur?"
~Nity~
[Feb 26, 2005 11:47:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

3 NT.

Err, I mean, err, ...

Yea, 5 losers, bid 8.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 27, 2005 7:38:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
AngryChair

Close to winning, but I HAD to nil.

[size=7]Sun shines in the bedroom when we play
the raining only starts when you go away

[Feb 27, 2005 10:42:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
Smolder

Agreed. You'd be hard-pressed to snag a single trick.
-Harding
[Feb 27, 2005 12:31:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Place your bids now:

I would go 7 or 9. Conservative or go for the boston =D.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I bid 7 and we made an aggregate Boston.

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 28, 2005 12:48:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
AngryChair

Some nilling fun.

Not TOO hard, but still funny I had 3 aces. Made the bid.

The following 3 nils were all in the same game. Eh, might as well keep bashing the nil buttons. Made them all, too.

[Feb 28, 2005 1:32:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Nice.

What made me a sad panda, today, was that i was watching a game of spades in school today. And one of them nilled with 5 spades in their hand...

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 28, 2005 1:35:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I wish I had some screenies of some of the Nil's I've made lately. While playing with Pip I think I made 4 in a row (consecutive and not blind). One of which was amusing because I had AK of diamonds and clubs.
[Feb 28, 2005 1:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
AngryChair

I pulled off a nil with 5 spades the other day. Eh. I yelled at my partner earlier when she did the same (and failed). Fun times.

[Feb 28, 2005 1:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

A question - would you nil if you had 4 hearts, one of which was an ace, one was a middley card, and the other two cards were low?

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 2, 2005 12:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Depends whether there's a double/singleton/void in another suit, so I'm sure I can throw away the ace at an opportune moment.
[Mar 2, 2005 1:51:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Yeah Pip, it depends on the rest of the hand. As Liz said, the double/singleton thingie helps. If you've only got 2 fewer spades I'd go for it too.
[Mar 2, 2005 2:16:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
A question - would you nil if you had 4 hearts, one of which was an ace, one was a middley card, and the other two cards were low?

Yes.
[Mar 2, 2005 2:38:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Thankyou, so I'm not going mad.

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 2, 2005 3:39:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I must offer you this hand from my treasure of screenshots.

This was hand 2 of 3, in a 300 game.

Imgei and I made 312 points in 3 goes.

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 4, 2005 2:21:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

And it loooks like you nilled hand one...
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Mar 4, 2005 3:15:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Yes. Yey for game bugs!

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 4, 2005 4:17:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Two more morsels of madness:

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 4, 2005 11:17:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
ed315

Just wanted some opinions on the diamonds affecting a nil bid.

Aschen

Nemo wrote: 
Actually, when I suggested it months ago, Cleaver told me not to. So, this time I didn't tell him.

[Mar 19, 2005 3:34:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Quite risky, but up that many points, I wouldn't worry a whole ton.
[Mar 19, 2005 3:45:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
elikabeth

Since Bones bid blind nil you probably could have gone for it and made it.. it's a lot easier when the other partnership is also trying to cover a nil.
Elikabeth
[Mar 19, 2005 3:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://jesters.odli.net/    elikabeth [Link]  Go to top 
Thalfon

First off, thanks to all who contributed to this thread, it's a wonderful shrine of information! I for one know I need to bid more boldly, and this thread has helped identify when.

Secondly, I wanted to share an amusing moment from earlier. I'm afriad I don't have screenies though. I had first bid and a bad hand, but the K and three other spades, and wasn't confident about a Nil, so I bid 1. The bids there followed: 1, 2, 2. Both teams bid 3! How often does this really happen?

Anyway, it worked out quite well. My team made 3, leaving the opponents with 7 bags. They sandbagged the next hand.

Finally, onto my question hand (below). I wanted to bid Nil on this, but I wasn't confident about being able to get rid of the J/A of hearts. I was second bidder, after a bid of 3. I ended up bidding 2 (Too chancy that diamonds get trumped, so I counted the heart A, and figured I'd score either the trump or Q as well.)

[img]http://img196.exs.cx/img196/9929/nilornot9ep.png[/img]
[Apr 3, 2005 5:48:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

You don't need the [url] tag for images.

I'd only go for it if this were early in a 500 game.
[Apr 3, 2005 7:30:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Thalfon wrote: 
Finally, onto my question hand (below). I wanted to bid Nil on this, but I wasn't confident about being able to get rid of the J/A of hearts. I was second bidder, after a bid of 3. I ended up bidding 2 (Too chancy that diamonds get trumped, so I counted the heart A, and figured I'd score either the trump or Q as well.)

To nil that:

Your diamond length is a strength in this case. Chances are very good that diamonds will run out before you have to lead a large diamond, so your AK are both losers. Drop them when convinient. So lets make them convinient.

You have three clubs, with a low topper (Q) -- chances are good that you'll be after the A or K at some point. It can be discarded.

You have three hearts, and an A at the top. This is the hardest card to lose in your hand.

Chances are good that the split won't be horrible, and if three rounds of hearts are played that this A will win a trick. We want to avoid this.

Clubs are your only answer. You want your partner to lead clubs, so you can void yours out and start discarding.

Play the highest clubs you can without taking a trick. If you see the high (A or K), play your Q; otherwise, play the 8. Playing high early in a suit is a signal to your partner to lead that suit if possible.

Trick count: There are 13 tricks total out there. That hand has at least 3 of them normally. Since you want to sink three tricks, you expect the rest of the table to have 10. That's (typically) a 3/3/4 split. So a bid of 3 by the first person is right around normal. Two players have indicated average strength hands, so it's a good guess that distribution will be normallish.

Now, you play second. So what are possible plays on your turn?

Diamond: Play low.
Heart or Club: Play your highest that is under the leader.

The only risk: Hearts are played, and won by the enemy; they then return it. If your partner also has three hearts, they cannot trump your ace, and you are set.

This looks decent -- 20 points if you bid, 50 points if you nil. Nil it.

If you lose, you can BN the next hand and get caught up right away.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 3, 2005 9:11:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

This hand just rocks.

Like a bad penny.
[Apr 7, 2005 8:01:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
This hand just rocks.

What did you bid? I'm thinking 6 or 7 based on what the other bids were.
[Apr 7, 2005 9:41:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 195   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates