• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 195
Posts: 195   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27409 times and has 194 replies Next Thread
AngryChair

Re: Spades-palooza [Dial-up Warning. Many images within.] Reply to this Post

Of course, hard meaning difficult to complete. :P
----------------------------------------
[size=7]Sun shines in the bedroom when we play
the raining only starts when you go away

[Jan 4, 2005 1:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Ugh at that blind nil. Best I'd do is toss the king of spades and ace of clubs and pray that clubs are led early.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jan 12, 2005 5:13:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Akkhima

I've never seen a hand I would bid exactly 1 on... I think that would be something like A, K or Q of Spades, no other spades, and nothing over 9, otherwise.
Akkhima
[Jan 12, 2005 10:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.otaku-chan.com    akkhima    CrystallineAkkhi [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Whitefire wrote: 
AngryChair wrote: 
I'd hardly call that a hard nil hand actually, marko.

What would you bid? 1? IMO, 1 bids are useless and should either be nils or 2 bids. The exceptions are cards that have close to a 100% chance of setting.

Of course, this comes from myself and Nity who regularly nil with cards like K♠, QJ♠, K and a low card of any suit, etc.

Shh, people are starting to catch on to the fact that i like to nil with high spades. I'm gonna end up being caught one of these days :P

Actually, Shur caught me today. had k/9 spades and threw 9 and he used ace, teehee, but the way cards were thrown, i would have probably eaten spades either way.
Tawnee says, "What freak would sig Shur?"
~Nity~
[Jan 12, 2005 12:32:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Whitefire wrote: 
AngryChair wrote: 
I'd hardly call that a hard nil hand actually, marko.

What would you bid? 1? IMO, 1 bids are useless and should either be nils or 2 bids. The exceptions are cards that have close to a 100% chance of setting.

Of course, this comes from myself and Nity who regularly nil with cards like K♠, QJ♠, K and a low card of any suit, etc.

yea, finally came across one i wasnt gutsy enough to nil on :( I almost cried... i couldnt even HOPE for 2

~Nity~
[Jan 15, 2005 11:39:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Smolder

Talk about a bad hand :(
-Harding
[Jan 15, 2005 12:25:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

whee! my first boston!!

~Nity~
[Jan 18, 2005 3:44:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Ok, show me a worse hand.
Markozeta
[Jan 26, 2005 7:02:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
pezohare

hmmm, you can bid 1 with confidence.

If the AoS was a queen, then that would be a really tough call!

Did you win the game btw?
PezzA (T-total since 2005.06.29)
Rehabilitated Drunk & Senior Officer of the crew: The Pioneer Pillagers
[Feb 3, 2005 9:52:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Markoman wrote: 

What about this?

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 4, 2005 7:02:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Markoman wrote: 

What about this?

That's actually a straight forward nil
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Feb 4, 2005 7:39:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

No - isn't it pretty difficult to get rid of 4 spades?
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Feb 4, 2005 8:37:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Not really. The spades are very low-valued. You are only screwed in one instance, the spades are equally distributed among all as in 4-3-3-3. Any other distribution of spades will likely result in you getting that nil.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Feb 4, 2005 8:40:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

A nil is 65% to set with that kind of distribution. The number of spades is just as important as the strength of the cards.

And, as is the case in most circumstances, your bid relies heavily on what your partner and the feeder bid.
[Feb 4, 2005 9:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I bid nil on that hand, Sheo (my partner) bid about 3 or 4... but I got away with the nil, as the opponents left the K and Q of Spades until last.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 4, 2005 7:43:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Markozeta

The issue with my hand is that the maximum I can score is 10 pts. It's an easy call to bid 1, but I'd much rather bid nil and score 50 pts.

(Imageshack went down, so I'm reposting it)

Markozeta

~Generator of ignored ideas~
[Feb 5, 2005 7:48:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
captnmorgan

Well with spades, it's not so much what you can do with cards, sometimes its just about your ability to play. Sometimes you will get really poor luck with the cards you are dealt and you just have to play differently. Precision in your bids and control over the game is what makes someone good at spades. Things like altering your bid to make your opponents question their bidding and changing it sometimes... Being down a few hundred points, setting them, then bagging them, then setting them again and taking the win... playing the right cards to let your partner take bids for a set, etc...covering nils well, taking risky nils... Spades is more about personal skills than the cards you are dealt, most people don't see this.
Robertdonald wrote: 
Captnmorgan wins the bet.

Penndalla wrote: 

Captnmorgan is a very respected and articulate member of our online society.

Shuranthae wrote: 
Captmorgan wins. My equal signs weren't ==

=P

[Feb 5, 2005 10:19:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

I'd much rather have a hand where I can bid a rock solid 1 and know that barring a total slough off by everyone else on a 13th card lead that's all I'm taking, than have Piplicus's hand, which could easily take not just 1 but 2 as a nil, if the opponents have the spade length and are able to ruff them instead of playing them in suit, but could just as easily bid 1 and take 0. The average value of a hand is 13/4. That'll even out. Less uncertainty is always better, though.
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Feb 5, 2005 11:15:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elikabeth

Just wanted to share this crazy hand I just played.. My partner bid blind nil, my hand before passing:

and after:

I ended up making all 13, though I only bid 10.
Elikabeth
[Feb 9, 2005 7:40:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://jesters.odli.net/    elikabeth [Link]  Go to top 
Akiata

Waudju- gighi- ikuh... Reply to this Post

o_O

Holy moley!
Donk
... back from the dead
[Feb 9, 2005 7:58:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tbtyger

ok, tell me this isnt absolutely insane. i was second bidder, i almost cried when my partner bid.

Wench and Senior Officer of the Crew Misfit Marauders

an' one CRAAAAZY pirate te boot!
[Feb 9, 2005 1:39:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

2 Interesting hands:

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 15, 2005 6:21:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Too bad you weren't playing bridge.

As for that nil/nil, 12/7 hand, think of it this way: They bid 7, earned 70 points, but will lose 100 for too many overtricks real soon now.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 15, 2005 6:44:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
2 Interesting hands:

The first one you'd probably have an easy 3, possibly 4 depending on what else had been bid. The second I woulda gone Nil. Chances are you're safe in clubs, the A of diamonds wouldn't worry me all that much either as you've got no spades.
[Feb 15, 2005 10:10:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
tbtyger

BehindCurtai wrote: 

As for that nil/nil, 12/7 hand, think of it this way: They bid 7, earned 70 points, but will lose 100 for too many overtricks real soon now.

they did bag after 2 hands, i think. but the interesting this is it was a TRIPLE NIL and we ALL made our nils.
Wench and Senior Officer of the Crew Misfit Marauders

an' one CRAAAAZY pirate te boot!
[Feb 17, 2005 1:50:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I think I nilled on this hand and just got away with it:

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 17, 2005 4:01:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 24, 2005 1:46:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

That's 7 without trying hard. Maybe 9.
Nice hand, btw.

Hmm. Bridge counting says at least 2 spades, maybe 3. That's 8 to 9 tricks.

No chance for my parter to raise if I give a bid of strength. Darn.

I'll bid 8
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 24, 2005 7:27:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I bid 8 and I made 10 altogether.

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 25, 2005 1:37:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Another one to get your morsels round. Look at the scores, too.

What would you bid?

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 25, 2005 11:31:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 195   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates