• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5284 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Re: Thoughts on Jade archipelago themes Reply to this Post

goodmanj wrote: 
Which is why my island design (still in progress) has an overgrown Mayan pyramid as its centerpiece.

And may look absolutely gorgeous, but likely won't be used.
----------------------------------------
[Nov 30, 2004 8:20:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

:(

Too spicy?
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Nov 30, 2004 9:49:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheCosmicChz

JuanV wrote: 
Jade truly has roots on every continent in the world, and over the past 5,000 years has been utilized by hundreds of societies. Would it not be a proper tribute to this prolific gem to encompass all of it's facets, instead of merely attributing it to China and moving on?

Then why have themes at all? Why don't we have an arch with a touch of ruby ruins, a touch of snow, and a touch e'ery culture you could possibly emulate. We'd have a mite boring archipelegoo in that case. Themes are themes for a reason, they make things interesting seeing a similar idea expressed many different ways. To argue against a theme on mere semantics and go so far as saying there should be no underlying theme is a bit silly.

Unfortunately, despite the rich history of Jade, a great deal of popular opinion links Jade to asian culture. As such, it is the most reasonable link for a general theme.

This isn't a deccree that jade is only attributed to X culture, but that its a reasonable corrolation.

In our current arches the different themes lend a different feel to each of their islands. I would hate that future arches would not have a theme simply because of the archaeological history of the rock it happened to be named after.
--Dcurd :
Not the cap'n of Dcurd's crew
Stick-wielder of questionable sanity-or something
[Nov 30, 2004 11:37:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    NotSoDreadDcurd [Link]  Go to top 
PinkkBeard

Furthermore, Nemo hasn't said that we must necessarily connect Jade to Chinese culture, or to the Orient at all. He just offered that as an option, one of three, and apparently it's a fairly legitimate thing to associate Jade with, since almost every island I've seen named for the Contest has used a somehow Chinese or Oriental name.

Remember, we're not bound to Chinese or Oriental, we're also allowed green in general, and art of any kind. In fact, I intend to name my island Turkana, which is a lake in Africa and has nothing to do with the orient. It is, however, called the "Jade Sea", and the island in the center, which I based my island design off of, is renowned for its shades of green. It's a bit tenuous, but seeing a thousand "Dragon" and "Yin Yang" islands would be boring.
Homullus wrote: 
There are still myriad varieties of sucking that you can do

Thusnelda wrote: 
Pinkkbeard gets a gold star.

[size=9]Azure: Where'd everyone go?
[Nov 30, 2004 11:45:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

Arlahna wrote: 
Has anyone thought of elephants? I mean, I see jade carved into the shape of an elephant all over the place. Jewelry, paper weights... um, more jewelry... Anyway, what about Elephant Island? :) You could even have a little baby elephant that follows you everywhere like the sheep and pigs. And can we name him Elephant Gerald?? (I couldn't resist...)

Arlahna
- who wants to live in a hobbit house, but is likely too tall...

You are in my brain. Why are you in my brain? (See my Jade 11 in the critique thread for a potential candidate. Like the "trunk"? I know it doesn't really fit the name, but I have a hard time naming things *sigh*)
I was thinking more of the Chinese Jade plant, also known as the Elephant Bush or Carassula Aborescens. It can be made into bonsai trees. (yay online research. ♥ google)
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Nov 30, 2004 1:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

goodmanj wrote: 
:(

Too spicy?

Sounds like it, mate. Sorry. I'd still love to see it!
[Dec 1, 2004 3:42:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Maybe someone would like to do an entry to the island design based on this.

It is Ouroboros and there really should be one of these in Jade, this symbol of a snake eating itself is common in alchemy and represents the circle of life.

I noticed a young girl serving in our local Chinese food store wearing a beautiful jade bracelet based on this symbol and thought it just must be included in the arch. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do a proper one myself, but I thought that the idea was too good to waste so maybe someone else out there can do it.

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Dec 2, 2004 5:32:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Malagata

Just my small input, Jade, was also found near all the Yucat?n area of Mexico, and it also found deep in some of the brazilian forests as well as Venezuela... But in Mexico, in the historical ruins, there were jade objects found, that were used both as garnments,(english correct word, please)
and as part of the death tributes that were put near the tomb.

Anyways, why should we be connecting the names with the archs??? (might be not to get confused whith a lot of different islands of different archs, when the space puzzles comes???) ;)

Just as a reference, Turtle, Cnossos, and Remora, has any link ?

Cheers and no tears!!!

Malagata
SO Artic Blades
" Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird , that cannot fly-"
[Dec 5, 2004 8:14:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    floresdelsol1@yahoo.com.ar [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates