• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 574
Posts: 574   Pages: 20   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 76432 times and has 573 replies Next Thread
Morrigan

Islands for critique Reply to this Post

I thought it'd be fun to have a place to post your island designs and ask for comments

Here's the one I've been working on.

I'm still not pleased with the overall square feeling to the island on the non jetty end, and am still working on the transitions from one ground texture to the other.
----------------------------------------
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Nov 24, 2004 3:22:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dementia

Re: Islands for critique Reply to this Post

Feel free to critique my entry.

It's a nice start Beryl. It looks a bit planned though. All the commodities and trees thrown together in that one area looks a bit unnatural. I would suggest dispursing them a bit around the island to give it a more "random" look. The square added on island takes away from the natural look of the island as well. I would suggest that if you want a stone cobble section, you make it part of the island, not an addition. What I mean is, make it look like there is a planned town maybe in the center of the island if you wrap it up. I like the idea of the inland lakes too.
- Ajani, Into the Sunset

Ryhison tells you, "i hate u u are a evil little man that tourtures little animals"
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LifeAheadofYou [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Morrigan wrote: 
I thought it'd be fun to have a place to post your island designs and ask for comments

you're also welcome to post here
[Nov 24, 2004 10:35:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

One of the hardest things I found to do was to create a functional island without being obvious about it. Jetties are the obvious place to build up your island here, but jetties are not something you would find on an uncolonized island.

I agree that it does seem a bit square, that'll just take some fiddling until you get it to your liking... I like how your interior sea section has a sort of beach with the brown, you match this on the other side but thenmost of the rest is grass up to the edges, why not have a bit of brown to border all the edges of the grass? Plants don't grow well in seawater.

I like how you have clustered your vegetation around the bog, which would naturally be the wettest place on the island and thus the most vegetated. I look forward to seeing how you plant the rest of it!
[Nov 24, 2004 11:22:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

so I quit playing around and tried to do island 3. I'm a bit more pleased with it, though I miss the jetty. (which is still obvious since the seawater is visible there and not as the base tile, sigh)

and I quickly colonized it. There's a ton of buildable space. I included houses, consignment shops, and the furniture shop among others, and the island still isn't full. There's lots of space, but it would be hard to build too much without making the island ugly and crowded.

~Beryl
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Nov 25, 2004 1:54:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Untitled Test Island #1
Outpost (Jade Island #14)

Uncolonized / Colonized

Some Broom Flower.

Some rocks.

Some Iron.

More Iron.

With a Fort and an IM Bazaar.

Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[Nov 25, 2004 2:22:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

A few notes on Ajani's submission:

Even colonized this island looks sparse, I'd like to see the ground texture vary more, especially when it comes into contact with different things. What happens where the ground hits the sea? Why are the trees growing where they are, is it more fertile? And why aren't they growing anywhere else?

Technical note: Use Jetties to connect docks to the ground, as it is you can't get from one island to another.
[Nov 25, 2004 3:15:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

Potato- I really like the look of your island, and the time you obviously put into unsquaring all the edges.

Perhaps the dock arrow should come from somewhere else though.
~Beryl
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Nov 25, 2004 3:18:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taconizer

Here was my island 15 I was working on...

The landing!

Debris from a shipwreck?! Dun dun dun. And yarrow... yummy.

The left side.

A fort!

Taconizer
Hm.
[Nov 25, 2004 3:25:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Taconizer [Link]  Go to top 
sushib

Ok, critique mine, lol. It isn't that great right now. I just finished connecting all the islets.

Castle Island

Colonized

Uncolonized

I really don't get how to make the jetties work, mine looks sorta messed up and I can't figure out why. If someone could help me understand this that would be great.

I had a ton of fun painting the houses lol. My favorite is the black and green manor in the bottom left :)

My dock also turned out a little funky, another thing I can't figure out, help. lol

Also, here is my uninhabitable island that was supposed to be an outpost, but I forgot to put in the fort, I'll get around to it eventually

GertrudeFauna
(I love the name, even though it makes no sense)

Sarathebest-The hawtest minor in Midnight :)
Captain of Fevrent
Princess of Elysian Fields

Rugby tells you, "yer the best"
You told Rugby, "I am?"
Rugby tells you, "aye"
[Nov 25, 2004 3:39:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SaRrRaThEbEsSsT [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Beryl, I like the direction you're doing with that!

On a technical note, to get rid of the blue sea blob, set your background to black temporarily and go through deleting it all.

Potato, looking good, your ground textures are blending well! Try placing some scrubgrass directly on the rocks or on any object really. Scrubgrass can help "ground" trees and plants which otherwise seem to "float" in the middle of nowhere.

For everyone: Remember that any buildings placed down will get rid of all objects which used to be there! So don't be afraid to plant even the places where the shoppes would go.
[Nov 25, 2004 3:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

Sushi- your islands feel really square and unnatural. All the trees are planted in small rows or patches, and your grass goes right out to the ocean.
~Beryl
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Nov 25, 2004 4:01:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dementia

Want to critique my islands that I posted for submissions? I would love to edit them a bit. :)
- Ajani, Into the Sunset

Ryhison tells you, "i hate u u are a evil little man that tourtures little animals"
[Nov 25, 2004 4:04:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LifeAheadofYou [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Beryl,

[Nov 25, 2004 4:04:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Island #17. currently unnamed.

Hmm... I'm not sure if that adequately gets the idea across. I wanted to give a sense of space, to give pirates a chance to explore, while still keeping the usable land area down. I'm still not quite finished with all the details, I think.
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Nov 25, 2004 4:07:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

PotatoJones wrote: 
Beryl,

Perhaps the lower one? I'm just thinking that maybe you want to give a little space away from the buildings for people to enter and perhaps chat.

Damienroc- Looks like a real headache to get around, but a ton of fun. I like it but it makes me want to see more obstacles like rock along the spits of sand.

I feel like I'm mostly finished with this one. I'm fairly satisfied with how it's turning out.

close ups

~Beryl
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Nov 25, 2004 4:14:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sushib

Yet another island, I have way to much time on my hands lol. Well critique this one. It's a lil small, but I like how Emporer is really small and that works, so I'm trying this out. At the moment I only have a pic of the island colonized.

Jade Island 2
By Sarathebest
Netski Island

I also ran out of room, so I put a bunch of bazaars on the docks, I like it. But that's a part I want an opinion on.
Sarathebest-The hawtest minor in Midnight :)
Captain of Fevrent
Princess of Elysian Fields

Rugby tells you, "yer the best"
You told Rugby, "I am?"
Rugby tells you, "aye"
[Nov 25, 2004 5:21:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SaRrRaThEbEsSsT [Link]  Go to top 
Leeksoup

Well, if ye could look at mine...

This is number 16 (Machavielli), uncolonized/colonized:

I like this island, mainly because it's small and simple, but it feels like it could be more.

And this island (Valkyrie), number 9:

Unfortunately the jetty I got rid of shows up as seawater, but I don't think that'll affect the island. I like it, but again it could use some work, and I can't put my finger on it. Colonized it seems to be a bit crowded, but then most medium colonizable islands will be like that I think.
-Scylira, mostly retired
ponytailguy wrote: 
Yarr, me harties, let me go grab my knitting needles!

Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
[Nov 25, 2004 5:36:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Muffin

For island 17, Balance Island

Probably less natural than we're supposed to be working towards, but I couldn't help myself.
Clover
Forever of Radical Dreamers
Everybody Conga!
[Nov 25, 2004 5:45:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    soaked+feathers [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Here's a hint: Every area will need to either have objects on it, or have at least two or three different types of tiles to keep it interesting. (keep in mind the area near your dockside warp should be mostly, but not entirely, empty on colonised and mini-colonised islands)

It helps to restrict yourself to just a few objects and just a few different types of tiles when you set out.

And the absolute worst thing you can do is make things look square. Your island is based off a grid. You want to make it look like it isn't, though- your beaches should curve, flex in and out, make a peninsula or two. If an area isn't busy enough, make patterns using two or three different types of terrain. Put lakes or swamps in the middle of your forested or grassy areas. Things like that. You want it to look natural :)

Resist the urge of making your jetty area one big square. Have an area that juts back, or see if you can make it seem to form natural streets. You're not just limited to the outdoor objects/tiles, there are a few that are classed as "indoor" that you might need for some areas. (like stacks of cannonballs, sword racks, cannons, red stones for making paths for towns, etc...)

Also, being "merciful" in some respects on the island designers helps them. Try and place your dock arrow so that as little of its 10x10 limit covers as little land as possible- the best way to do this is to place it near a corner. Make some areas that certain buildings fit into snugly. Leave room for a bank and/or inn quite near to your dock arrow. All of these things help make your design more "practical," and they don't really hurt the look, either.

[size=9]edit: corrected a grammatical blip.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by 54x at Nov 25, 2004 5:47:21 AM]
[Nov 25, 2004 5:47:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Untitled Test #2 (tentative: Pincer Cove)
Outpost (Jade Island #15)

Pre-foliage.

[Nov 25, 2004 6:26:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Everyone read what Diamondblade said two or three times.
[Nov 25, 2004 6:36:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Untitled Test #2 (tentatively Pincer Cove)
Outpost (Jade Island #15)

Uncolonized / Colonized

Wood, Yarrow, baby turtle, rock.

Bottom pincer (Yarrow).

Top pincer (landing).

With buildings.

---

I found it hard t'make things look o'ergrown, any help?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PotatoJones at Nov 25, 2004 9:07:06 AM]
[Nov 25, 2004 9:07:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Doesn't the arrow need to be on a traversable square?
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 25, 2004 9:11:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

I'll traverse yer square!

/me shakes his fist!

That kin be fixed.
[Nov 25, 2004 9:12:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
char

I made Pulpy! Me first Island

A native

Lots of flowers

And the busy dock

I dont really like the building i'll tweek that.

Comments?

Zife
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Nov 25, 2004 9:48:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

PotatoJones wrote: 
I'll traverse yer square!

/me shakes his fist!

That kin be fixed.

Aye mate, that's why I pointed it out t'ye ;)

Char: small islets aren't really a very nice thing. It violates the rules of "I should be able to get to it if it looks like a place to walk around in." And if you do whisk there... well, it sort of suspends your disbelief of the game when people start calling you Jesus, 'cos you just walked on water. ;)

The only islets you should try are small sections of rock jutting out of the water, or one-square blips near to land to add a sense of shallowness.

I like your sense of combining objects- you know what looks good together. Some things to improve on:

Your island contours are a little square. When you drag to place land, keep in mind that the edges are included in your selection. So by moving it down or up by one grid square, instead of making lots of rectangular selections that join up, you can end up with a relatively "smooth" edge, which can let you make circles or peninsulas or allsorts.

Likewise, the objects you've placed are also in quite square groups. Remember when people said "think outside the square?" :D This applies especially to editor programs like this.

Also- I haven't had much luck placing the rope fences or the wooden fences, and you seem to have had the same sorts of problems. Fiddle around with it until it joins naturally, or try to put something else there that fits.

Right, in the spirit of share and share alike, I'm putting up my first attempt at an outpost, which so far out of complete lack of originality I am calling "Yin Island." It is #14.

Fullsize image, around 680k.
from Midnight.
[Nov 25, 2004 10:34:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Fences have connector pieces. If you don't use them, they don't work.
[Nov 25, 2004 11:11:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Nemo wrote: 
Fences have connector pieces. If you don't use them, they don't work.

Aaah- are, perchance, some of the connector pieces not sorted into seperate categories from the pieces they themselves connect to? When trying the rope fence, I could always connect one end, but had trouble with the other. Perhaps I was using a connector piece?
from Midnight.
[Nov 25, 2004 11:19:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I'm not sure what you mean, but go look on a dock to see what rope fences should look like, and places like Xi for wood fences.
[Nov 25, 2004 11:24:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 574   Pages: 20   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates