• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 294
Posts: 294   Pages: 10   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 58430 times and has 293 replies Next Thread
hooknc

Re: Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer Reply to this Post

I've tried to install the oceanmerge.exe program, but I've run into numerous missing dll issues.

The first was MSVCP71.DLL and then MFC71U.DLL. I downloaded the first dll from a respectable site, but I can only find the MFC71U.DLL from dll-downloads.com or whatever the site is, and I'm not getting the dll from there. :)

Is there a possibility that the normal installer (trader-x.x.x).msi can be updated to have the correct oceans and/or could the oceanmerge.exe be updated to ship with its required dlls?

Here is my system...

Windows 7
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b05)

I first installed the trader-2.0.1801.msi and then tried to install the oceanmerge.exe from the link above.

Thank you for any help and thank you for your time in making this tool.

Regards.

Never mind. Found this information earlier in this thread:

Copy the oceanmerge program into the Trade Profiteer's installation folder and run it from there. The installation folder will be either "C:\Program Files\Colony West Software Company\Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Colony West Software Company\Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer" depending on whether you are running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

Followed those directions and the update went swimmingly.
[Jul 7, 2012 7:11:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llewyne

So I just found out this program exists. And I love it!
Had to overcome a few problems but finally got it installed and it works like a charm :)

What I was wondering is this:
I usually play on mac using steam, but I haven't been able to run it using wine. But I noticed that at some point you considered putting the source somewhere online. Are you still doing this? If so, I would like to try to make a version compatible with mac (and maybe steam).
[Dec 5, 2012 8:42:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

So I just found out this program exists. And I love it!
Had to overcome a few problems but finally got it installed and it works like a charm :)

What I was wondering is this:
I usually play on mac using steam, but I haven't been able to run it using wine. But I noticed that at some point you considered putting the source somewhere online. Are you still doing this? If so, I would like to try to make a version compatible with mac (and maybe steam).

Thanks for your comments. I do plan to open source the Trade Profiteer. Currently I'm working to spawn off a few of the Trade Profiteer's internal components as separate projects. I've also got another feature I'd like to implement as well. Unfortunately the fact I work full time has been a damper on a lot of this, and work on the Trade Profiteer is something I do in my off time.

With Steam, I know some of the technical specifics behind how to support it. The question is whether doing so would violate any licensing or service terms regarding playing Y!PP through Steam. I haven't looked into it, though, so I won't make any comments on it until I verify what can be done.

Mac support has been requested a few times. I've been reluctant to move forward in the past simply because I don't have access to a Mac. I'd be interested in knowing what issue you're having with Wine as I've tested the Trade Profiteer on Linux with Wine and not had any issues -- I'll be incorporating some kind of support for this into the deployment process.
----------------------------------------
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Dec 5, 2012 1:33:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llewyne

It's nice to hear you're still working on this!
I've actually been looking into making something that gets data from my stall, but I haven't yet figured out how to do this. Which is also a big reason I'm interested in the open source files, I'm hoping to learn something from it.

I looked at the errors I got from wine again and it turns out it was actually a problem with wine not being compatible with the latest version of xcode (from which it uses some components). I didn't realise this at first because I don't have much experience with wine. I'm downgrading Xcode right now and I'm positive it will work this time, as, like you said, if it works on linux it should also on mac.
[Dec 6, 2012 3:00:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

It's nice to hear you're still working on this!
I've actually been looking into making something that gets data from my stall, but I haven't yet figured out how to do this. Which is also a big reason I'm interested in the open source files, I'm hoping to learn something from it.

Gets data from your stall? Care to be more specific as to what you're looking for? The Trade Profiteer can read the market data when looking at it on a stall or ship, so that should not be an issue, but I'm thinking it's not the market data you're wanting, correct?
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Dec 6, 2012 4:20:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llewyne

I want to get the data from the ordering screen as well.
This probably isn't really worth the trouble of making a program for, as you'll still have to click each product manually to get the data, but I would like to do it more as a learning project.
[Dec 7, 2012 1:46:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitesaber7

Hi, I installed your program today. I opened PP via the new short cut on my desktop. When I go to import data, I get an error message saying that it could not find any running instances of PP with the Trade Profiteer component attached. I've read through this thread and see that it is probably because I have the latest version of Java installed. Where do I find the Java Bridge thingy that is supposed to fix the problem?

Thanks so much!

Hi! i have this same problem as well... i had installed the merge ocean file properly , and my client is running on the "for the trade profiteer" version as well. I had checked that the program states it is for my ocean , emerald as well. My screen is also on the market commodities page. However , whenever i try to import data all i get is an error messages saying " Could not discover any running instances of puzzle pirates with the trade profiteer component attached". Thanks!
[Dec 28, 2012 10:36:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Hi! i have this same problem as well... i had installed the merge ocean file properly , and my client is running on the "for the trade profiteer" version as well. I had checked that the program states it is for my ocean , emerald as well. My screen is also on the market commodities page. However , whenever i try to import data all i get is an error messages saying " Could not discover any running instances of puzzle pirates with the trade profiteer component attached". Thanks!

Please provide the operating system version on which you are attempting to run the Trade Profiteer. Please also provide the Java version you are currently running -- under the About tab in Options when running Y!PP.
[Dec 28, 2012 2:29:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitesaber7

i am running on windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit system. Java version 1.7.0_09. Thanks!
[Dec 28, 2012 8:01:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

i am running on windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit system. Java version 1.7.0_09. Thanks!

Under File->Options, you probably noticed the option "Application Logging". Change the "Application logging level" to "Debug" and attempt to import market data again. The log file will be written out to the "Colony West Software Company\Trade Profiteer" folder under your Documents folder, same place where it stores the database file. After attempting to import the data, open that log file (should be called "trader.log") and paste what it writes out into a PM to me.

After you've done this, you might want to change the Application logging level back to Off.

Thanks.
[Dec 28, 2012 9:09:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Several users have reported to me via PM that they are experiencing trouble running the Trade Profiteer. In particular they are all seeing the same problem. I will admit that I've been stumped and didn't now where to look.

Until a PM I received yesterday that shined a bright light on the problem. Courtesy of some astute observations from a keen-eyed user, I now know what the issue is and, more importantly, how to fix it. I'll be prepping a code fix later this week and should have something out by the weekend. Basically the issue comes down to an assumption I made about the Java Runtime Environment that doesn't always hold true. This has also been corroborated by a bug report that has been logged with Oracle.

Stay tuned and let me know if you have any questions.

Under File->Options, you probably noticed the option "Application Logging". Change the "Application logging level" to "Debug" and attempt to import market data again. The log file will be written out to the "Colony West Software Company\Trade Profiteer" folder under your Documents folder, same place where it stores the database file. After attempting to import the data, open that log file (should be called "trader.log") and paste what it writes out into a PM to me.

After you've done this, you might want to change the Application logging level back to Off.

Thanks.

[Feb 5, 2013 12:23:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version has been released: 2.0.3107

This version should alleviate the problem that quite a few people have been experiencing lately. It also includes a re-engineered version of one of the Trade Profiteer's core components, which should allow for a significantly faster data import on the largest data sets, such as from Lima and Dragon's Nest on Meridian.

Feedback is always welcome. Let me know if you have any issues.
[Feb 7, 2013 8:01:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version: 2.0.3321

Some performance improvements related to importing data. Also changed the Market Review tab so that it will only refresh after importing data if the island you have selected had new data brought in.
[Apr 21, 2013 9:16:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nick1825

New version: 2.0.3321

Some performance improvements related to importing data. Also changed the Market Review tab so that it will only refresh after importing data if the island you have selected had new data brought in.

Not going to lie this is the best program you can use with PP. I appreciate you keeping it updated all this time.
Icyman/hadesx
[Apr 22, 2013 11:42:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grizzlegruff

I tried downloading the application from the website, but it never brought up an application downloader. I also tried other browsers, but no luck.
Saulitius, Profiteer on Meridian Ocean
[Apr 23, 2013 6:21:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

I tried downloading the application from the website, but it never brought up an application downloader. I also tried other browsers, but no luck.

Try again. Problem should be fixed now.
[Apr 23, 2013 7:07:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grizzlegruff

Try again. Problem should be fixed now.

yuppers!
Saulitius, Profiteer on Meridian Ocean
[Apr 23, 2013 8:18:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version: 2.0.3412

I expanded the "Plan it..." feature on the "Island to Island" tab to include a "Calculate" button. Now you can whittle down the commodities list returned by the profit calculation to whatever size ship you're going to be using, then recalculate the profit based on what you've provided.

If you want to clear out what you've entered and recalculate based on the full list, just click the Refresh button on that tab -- the button to the right of the "Plan it" button.
[May 11, 2013 11:08:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blattiage

Could not discover any running instances of puzzle pirates with the trade profiteer component attached.

Thats all I get?

- Im running the PP client for trade profiteer
- I have tried opening one before the other and vice versa
[May 31, 2013 4:49:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Are you running the latest version? (Just want to make sure...)

Further, under File->Options, also make sure the "Current ocean" is set to the ocean you are using. Note that the title bar for the Trade Profiteer window will show to what the current ocean is set.

Let me know if all is well on that.
[May 31, 2013 7:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blattiage

Yes to both, anything else that could be causing the problem?
[Jun 1, 2013 9:11:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Yes to both, anything else that could be causing the problem?

Let's see if we can find out. Under File->Options, there is a section called "Application Logging". I need you to set the "Application logging level" to Debug. Then attempt to import data again. Exit out of the Trade Profiteer after you attempt this.

In My Documents->Colony West Software Company->Trade Profiteer there is a file called "trader.log" (Windows will likely show it having a type of "text document"). Open that file in Notepad, and copy and paste the contents of that file into a private message to me. Once I have it, I'll have a look at it and see what I can figure out.

After you've done this, you can set the "Application logging level" back to Off and delete the log file.
[Jun 1, 2013 9:49:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blattiage

Done
[Jun 1, 2013 10:36:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Happy New Year everyone.

Let's talk about Puzzle Pirates X...

People are trying it, you can use it on the production oceans, and I recommend you give it a try if you haven't already, and provide your feedback in the necessary forum threads. For now, I'm going to talk about its impact on the Trade Profiteer.

And its impact is currently quite major.

First, a little tech specifics. The Trade Profiteer is currently composed of two components: the main program and a Java plugin to which the main program talks in order to get the market data. The Java plugin relies heavily on the Java Runtime Environment's capability with regard to "assistive technologies" -- i.e. tools that make it easier for those with various perception impairments (visual, audial) to interact with an application or system.

For the Java Runtime to load in assistive technologies requires making use of a Java technology called the Abstract Window Toolkit, or AWT. Part of AWT's initialization is loading in the assistive technologies.

Puzzle Pirates X does not use AWT for its main interface. Instead it is written to use the Eclipse Standard Widget Toolkit, or SWT. There might still be a way for the PPX client to load the assistive technologies, allowing me to get the Trade Profiteer Java component working with PPX (although needing to rewrite much of it), but that is something I would need to discuss with the PPX developers -- I'm not sure how willing they'd be to make it easier for third party tools to interact with PPX.

If you've been watching the thread for YARRG, you've probably noticed posts expressing concern about it not working either with PPX. In the PPX thread, there is also concerns about a duty report tracker as well being incompatible with the PPX client. So the Trade Profiteer is not the only third-party tool impacted by PPX.

So that's basically it. So for as long as the current production client is available and usable, the Trade Profiteer will work. It's been available now for a little over 4 years, and I've been making heavy use of it since I first started writing it back in 2008, and I'd certainly like to continue using it.

I've got some new feature ideas in mind to implement as well, and I'm actually in the process of rewriting the Trade Profiteer to make use of the .NET framework instead of MFC, which is how it's currently written. This will make things easier on me for future development (read: significantly less expensive because I won't need to spend $500 on software to bring everything up to date), plus more easily allow for a lot of the things I've wanted to include without having to so heavily rely on third-party components to get it working.

If you have any comments, questions or concerns, definitely let me know. Also give a shout-out in this thread if you're still using the Trade Profiteer, what ocean you're on, and how your experience has been so far, and any ideas you might have for it. Also, please let me know if you're still using Windows XP -- you can send me a PM to that effect if you don't want to post it publicly.
[Jan 1, 2014 2:35:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 294   Pages: 10   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates