• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 35
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10945 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
GreatBob

2 Changes reguarding doubloons/PoE

First off, the /pay and /tip commands need to be restricted. Kids are much easier to manipulate then adults, and might not understand the difference between the trade screen and these commands. It would be pretty easy for someone to inform a child that in order to purchase an item from them (which would normally be exchanged in the trade screen), they need to /pay or /tip them first. Then they simply disappear with the PoE/Doubs, and, even if the child has the sense to petition (instead of logging off in anger), the OMs are powerless due to the rules regarding the commands. Even if the rules were changed and they would look into players being scammed in this way, it means that a lot of OM time would be taken up resolving an issue that could be easily prevented.

The second point is about the message you receive when you try to purchase an item from the Palace Shoppe, but are short on PoE (Screenshot below). I believe the message shouldn't encourage children to spend real money (or in this case their parent's) to obtain PoE, which can be earned in-game. I'd like to see a message that tells the player they need to earn more PoE, instead.

----------------------------------------
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Jul 3, 2009 5:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Re: 2 Changes reguarding doubloons/PoE

I will heartily endorse the first change you have suggested. It will make it more difficult for scammers to succeed. Any trades or exchanges of money can be done via the trade interface anyway.

I wouldn't agree with your second suggestion- and I doubt OOO would either. The Three Rings are a for-profit company and at the end of the day, they would want to encourage players to subscribe or purchase doubloons. I would however suggest that a message telling the player that they can earn more PoE through other means is added. Your screenshot suggests that buying doubloons is the ONLY way to earn PoE when it actually isn't.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Jul 3, 2009 8:26:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I would be all for the Remain Penniless be changed to Earn More Poe.
Jolyma

[Jul 3, 2009 8:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I also agree with the /tip and /pay restrictions (of course I also think Crimson doubloons should not be transferable between oceans, or not easily done.)

I am also inclined to agree that as a business they want to encourage doubloon purchases but I know there are a lot of parents who will get fed up with the game if their kid is always asking to buy more so they can get that cool (fill in the blank.) I definitely think there ought to be some mention of earning more poe and using the exchange.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 3, 2009 8:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slimbutt

I wish OOO wouldn't encourage kids to constantly buy dubs. I wish TV would not constatly run commercials for toys kids play with once and forget.
OOO is a business. They must sell dubs to survive. They feel their product is a good one and as such it their duty and in their best interest to push dubs.

It is the parents responsibility to not allow their computer to remember credit card numbers. When purchasing dubs the parents should do it and not let their kids know the ccv number.

If the OP has any success in removing the buy dubs message they should work on the FCC next. Lets not allow toy and candy companies to sponser cartoons.
Want to make an easy 20K?
Pwn /fw Blood in the Water in PVP.
Post a screenshot of the start of the SF in any Hunter Parley thread.
[Jul 3, 2009 9:13:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

The argument is not necessarily that they should remove the prompt to buy doubloons only that they should also mention other ways to get the money (ways which they included as part of the product that they feel is good.) For three years now I have been telling people that are begging for money because they want something now that they could earn that money by playing the game, but that isn't the message that comes across with this pop-up, it seems the only options are to obtain doubloons or go without.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 3, 2009 9:41:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

This
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 3, 2009 9:42:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

I don't want my child to be able to be prompted to dig through my purse for my credit card, its too tempting!

Perhaps a second password that is for the account only would be a good solution. This way a parent has the option of allowing their child this privledge or taking it away. You could also prompt for the 2nd password on the /tip command, or even the /pay command, (but I think that's a bit much...)

I still feel that there should be a way to restrict the amount of doubloons that are on Crimson vs. the regular oceans too...
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jul 3, 2009 10:26:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

This is why there is a much weightier arguement for this ocean to be some kind of subscription ocean than a doubloon one - all this ocean is doing is encouraging kids to use the cards, beg parents for more dubs to actually be able to access the full range of features and hassle/beg for more around the ocean.

A subscription model would mean everything is done via poe (ok begging may still happen) but no need for credit cards (parents have already made the payment to allow the child to play).

Simple as that, change the whole concept to a subscription model or at least the next red ocean giving the parents freedom of choice of which model they would prefer their children and the whole family playing on.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Jul 3, 2009 10:35:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

This

This as well.

I also agree with Mari_ that the next Red ocean should be subscription, in order to give parents the choice.

As another note, I don't think the green "Need Doubloons?" button should take the player straight to billing, but instead give a prompt to either buy them with PoE or with real money. Some players may believe that the only way to obtain them is through money purchases, which is incorrect.

[Jul 3, 2009 11:47:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Parents do already have the choice. That is what the Dub Club is geared towards and far more affordable on a monthly basis than $9.95.

Also consider the child loving the game for the first month or two, then suddenly loses interest. A parent isn't going to continue paying a subscription. What if the parent paid for a year in advance?

If your child is digging through your purse for your credit card, perhaps you need to invest in a lock on your bedroom door to restrict access.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jul 3, 2009 12:19:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

If your child is digging through your purse for your credit card, perhaps you need to invest in a lock on your bedroom door to restrict access.

No my child isn't digging through my purse looking for credit cards in reality, but he's also not being prompted to by a game. Besides that my credit card information is easily obtained from the YPP website that they will be directed to if they push that button.

Perhaps you didn't see the suggestion about getting a second password for account purposes only. My point was that the child is prompted by the game to "purchase" more game power and access. And I'm assuming I'm not the only parent worried about it being too easy to get more by clicking one button.
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jul 3, 2009 2:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ravendruid

Parents do already have the choice. That is what the Dub Club is geared towards and far more affordable on a monthly basis than $9.95.

Yes, but the $9.95 in this case DOESN'T unlock the full game. It just gives 20 doubloons, which isn't even enough to buy all the badges you'd need to have the full privileges of a subscription, let alone leave enough left over to buy many items even if you don't want to be a captain or officer.

Plus, paying the poe AND a dub for various items just seems to make buying a lot of items just that much more complicated, something to avoid for the younger set.

I have to agree with Mari, a subscription model just makes a lot more sense for a family ocean.
what parent wants to deal with "Mommy, I just need another $5.00 for this outfit/ badge/ship/whatever" especially when they have already paid for a month.

It would also help resolve the issue of malicious people trying to bilk kids out of REAL money. The worst they'd be able to do would be to take their poe, or items bought with poe, which, while upsetting, at least wouldn't be quite as severe.
Cleaver says:

Mmmm... delicious protesters... can I get fries with those?

[Jul 4, 2009 4:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lileycraig42 [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Yes, but the $9.95 in this case DOESN'T unlock the full game. It just gives 20 doubloons, which isn't even enough to buy all the badges you'd need to have the full privileges of a subscription, let alone leave enough left over to buy many items even if you don't want to be a captain or officer.

Plus, paying the poe AND a dub for various items just seems to make buying a lot of items just that much more complicated, something to avoid for the younger set.

I have to agree with Mari, a subscription model just makes a lot more sense for a family ocean.
what parent wants to deal with "Mommy, I just need another $5.00 for this outfit/ badge/ship/whatever" especially when they have already paid for a month.

It would also help resolve the issue of malicious people trying to bilk kids out of REAL money. The worst they'd be able to do would be to take their poe, or items bought with poe, which, while upsetting, at least wouldn't be quite as severe.

Its $4.95 for the doub club, and $9.95 (monthy rate) for a subscription. However, as pointed out, the 20 doubs doesn't cover everything a pirate might want.

This is why I believe there should be a choice. If a child is only able to play on the weekends (or something to that effect) then a doubloon ocean is the place for them to play, because most things there work on login days, and it gives them an average of 2.5 doubloons per day to use. However, for children who are allowed to play more often, a subscription model makes more sense. As a parent, I'd rather pay the extra $5 a month to avoid the issue of having to deal with a begging child, even if I wasn't purchasing more doubs at all.

Finally, parents are likely to stop a child playing the game if their child loses their doubs through a scam, since it is a complete waste of money. However, on a subscription ocean there isn't anything in game with real monetary value, so that issue does not exist.

[Jul 4, 2009 6:31:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I'm okay with the doubloon model - most kids are really not going to be allowed to play daily. I do agree that it would be good to have a choice, but I am leery of trying to run both payment models on the same ocean. (I know the suggestion was for a future ocean.) The problem with a subscription for kids is that they lose interest or get busy in real life, with doubloons they can come back anytime and pick the game back up again.

As far as badges go, senior officer = 10, labor = 5, parlor = 2 for a total of 17 doubloons, so the only thing they can't do within their allotment is be captain, though they can't buy much.

I will say again that Crimson doubloons should not be transferable to other oceans, that way prices could be kept considerably lower. I don't see any reason why pets, for example, should be so highly priced on a kids ocean.

In the long run, I think parents are more likely to set up and continue an account for each child if they are not constantly being bothered for more money (yes, I know that is the argument for subscriptions, I agree with the premise just not the solution.) If all doubloon (and poe) charges were cut in half (including badges) that allotment would go a lot farther, and kids and their parents would be content and much more likely to pay again the next month.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 4, 2009 7:29:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I'm okay with the doubloon model - most kids are really not going to be allowed to play daily
As far as badges go, senior officer = 10, labor = 5, parlor = 2 for a total of 17 doubloons, so the only thing they can't do within their allotment is be captain, though they can't buy much.
If all doubloon (and poe) charges were cut in half (including badges) that allotment would go a lot farther, and kids and their parents would be content and much more likely to pay again the next month.

If they only play every other day (on average), and only get a regular officer badge, the badges will last twice as long, and they'll have 25 doubloons left in the bargain.
[Jul 4, 2009 7:39:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

There's a thread suggesting the next red ocean (should there be a next red ocean) is a subscription one:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=134526
With regards to what you have said, surely it is the responsibility of the parents to decide whether or not their children can purchase doubloons. There shouldn't be a need for there to be any in-game precautions.

Although I am not a parent, I am an uncle and if one of my nephews or nieces used one of my cards without permission I'd make sure it would never happen again- not that it would ever happen... The issue your dealing with needs to be addresses in real-life and not by any in-game changes.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Guppyzr at Jul 4, 2009 7:48:36 AM]
[Jul 4, 2009 7:47:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Quoted for agreement.

Context: 8yo son, eager to play.

He's not going to get to play more than three days a week, and probably only two days while school's in session. The doubloon model is much better in this case. About nine months of the year, he'll get three months out of his pirate/officer and parlor badge, so the only one he'll need to pick up every month for his favorite puzzle (alchemistry) is the labor badge. For $5/mo. over three months, he gets 30 days of rank and parlor badges, 24 days he can actively play crafting puzzles, and 33 doubloons to spend how he will, 42 if he stays at pirate rank. The same $15 as a subscriber would get him 12 days of rank, parlor and labor, and only last a month and a half.

The way to deal with a child begging for more money is to tell them they will have to save their eights, and that if they continue to whine about it, they won't be allowed to play the game for a week, which will only make it take that much longer. Older children should be able to come up with a way to earn some money of their own by pulling the neighbor's weeds or babysitting or walking dogs.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Jul 4, 2009 8:36:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Corsetcrush

I have pirates on both subscription oceans and was really looking forward to the family ocean. There have been numerous pirates over the years who have gone out of their way to insult me simply because I more enjoy being a docktart instead of being a 'hard core' pirate. My hope was with the red ocean that I would be able to find friendlier pirates who are casual gamers or less experienced like myself, thus making the game really enjoyable again.

I have been trying to understand the whole thing about the dubs and from my personal experience on YPP! having 20 dubs a month would really NOT be sufficient for how I play. There are numerous reasons why I like the subscription model, but mostly because I can budget the specific amount into what I have to spend of my real world cash every month. I really despise feeling like I have to pay more than my base subscription to 'unlock' the other parts of the game, even though the price of the subscription is more. From the examples that Patetch pointed out (in the above quote) that it sounds like he/she/they are a pirate who plays more for the crew. Running a crew, pillaging, and whatnot, but for me I like to collect things. Houses, clothes, trinkets, anything that isn't nailed down... but I only join pillages when I need poe AND I think it would be fun but those two things don't necessarily coincide.

I generally buy clothes from multiple places to get the best price as well as the most reasonable times to me. Each one of those deliveries would cost me dubs. buying furniture even for a shack would cost me more dubs. A sheep costs the same poe on Crimson as on Cobalt but there is the additional 25 dubs required on the red ocean, more than there is with the Dub Club (monthly) subscription. It would take me saving for five months (if I didn't use a single dub on anything else) to buy a big cat or an elephant and I really don't know how any of the younger players would feel satisfied having to wait such extended times to be able to access some of the game.

I know that this may not be a typical example, but it could be for anyone that could not (for one reason or another) buy the dubs above and beyond the Dub Club subscription. It would feel very limited as to what options I really had available to use within the game. I would much rather pay a standard (dub free) monthly subscription even knowing the fact that it would cost more than the dub club, because then I would know I had access to the full game and be able to simply enjoy our pirate world.
[Jul 5, 2009 4:26:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

From the examples that Patetch pointed out (in the above quote) that it sounds like he/she/they are is a pirate who plays more for the crew. Running a crew, pillaging, and whatnot
Funny thing...actually I am not. I enjoy the puzzles but I am captain of a dormant crew on Sage and quite happy with that though I am also captain of a crew on Crimson because I plan to do some training. I am most indeed a collector - I have ships all over the place that I never sail just because they were available. I do love CI and go every chance I get but I can get that for a 5 doubloon bravery badge, but I also spend a lot of time browsing the tailor racks, painting everything I can and yes, just talking. Anyway, my mention of the badge prices was simply to show that yes, the badges could indeed be purchased with that allotment but not much else. Of course, you don't need a single badge to chat.

This is why I strongly feel that Crimson doubloons should not be transferable to the green oceans (I'd even be all for calling them something else entirely just to keep confusion to a minimum.) With a closed economy, it will be much easier to keep prices down. Without the higher paying experiences, having the doubloons reach the exchange levels on the green oceans and retaining the (often insanely) high delivery charges, is just setting kids up to become frustrated because they can't get what they want with a reasonable amount of effort.

This is also why, though I miss some of the games and experiences, I am also in favor of keeping it simpler. People should not be playing Crimson just because it is cheaper (much like they do on Ice) but because they agree with the principle of the ocean. The kids of Crimson will not know what they are missing unless there are people constantly griping about it.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 5, 2009 6:49:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

This is why I strongly feel that Crimson doubloons should not be transferable to the green oceans (I'd even be all for calling them something else entirely just to keep confusion to a minimum.) With a closed economy, it will be much easier to keep prices down. Without the higher paying experiences, having the doubloons reach the exchange levels on the green oceans and retaining the (often insanely) high delivery charges, is just setting kids up to become frustrated because they can't get what they want with a reasonable amount of effort.

The only problem with the bold is that some kids WILL transfer over to green oceans one day. When they do, people that are like me would find it confusing that, all of the sudden, "Doubloons" are the thing they use. the plus side, however, is that the new name suggests a new price.. Meaning the jump from the ~1k to 2k+ (Depending on how long in the future that is) would be easier. So I guess it can be seen from both sides.

I DO agree that dubs need to be non-transferable... I earned 2.5k on a pillage over on Crimson and instead of it being, "Oh, just 2.5k" it was more, "YAY! 2.k!" The difference is how much it'll get you, but if dubs are tranferable, then that won;t last. How much are dubs on Malachite anymore? They were 500 the day it opened. I think it is safe to say they are at least on par with the rest of the oceans, meaning 2k+ (I got the impression that Hunter is higher than Viridian, currently)

Just my 2 PoE.
~Padme
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jul 5, 2009 9:11:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I would much rather pay a standard (dub free) monthly subscription even knowing the fact that it would cost more than the dub club, because then I would know I had access to the full game and be able to simply enjoy our pirate world.

Same here, but it doesn't seem that the Ringers are interested in adding new sub oceans (though they continue to maintain the existing ones).
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 5, 2009 1:18:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Corsetcrush

High delivery charges is just setting kids up to become frustrated because they can't get what they want with a reasonable amount of effort.

This is really the point I was trying to make and the very reason why I would like a red ocean set up as subscription. Sure, every ocean will have people wanting others to "Push buttn, give moonies!!" but to me with the dubs it feels like it's almost an upward battle to attain the same level that you can on the sub oceans. With sub oceans you are are being rewarded (with poe) for the honest effort that you do put in, and not how much excess cash you have in the real world.

"Gee, yer pirate can be anything that they want to be... if they have the cash! Hard work? Meh, not good enough on THIS ocean!!" (At least that's what the dubs feel like to me, a weird merging of two universes, or like swapping poe or dubs between oceans, and to me that screws the ocean...)

I really don't like the feeling that OOO assumes that everyone will just give hand over fist for more dubs just to play the game that they want, although I know a lot of people probably do. It really excludes the pirates from sub oceans and THEIR families who have stayed on the sub oceans because of a hate of the dub system. My husband and I are among those type of people even though we would willingly pay more for a standard subscription. It's more on the basis of principle (not wanting to get nickled and dimed to death) than it is being short on RL poe.

People should not be playing Crimson just because it is cheaper (much like they do on Ice) but because they agree with the principle of the ocean. The kids of Crimson will not know what they are missing unless there are people constantly griping about it.

I am fully aware of the fact that I can just stay contentedly on by sub oceans with no skin off my nose about Crimson, but I'm really excited to support the kind of ocean that OOO is aiming at. The basic principals are really what I have thought the game really is (and have for the last five years) and have been somewhat caught off guard when the pirates on the main oceans didn't adhere to what I guessed was just some of the unwritten rules of conduct. I am really proud that OOO has decided to do this even though I know for them it is like stepping into a bramble bush...
[Jul 5, 2009 3:57:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

People should not be playing Crimson just because it is cheaper (much like they do on Ice) but because they agree with the principle of the ocean. The kids of Crimson will not know what they are missing unless there are people constantly griping about it.

I am fully aware of the fact that I can just stay contentedly on by sub oceans with no skin off my nose about Crimson, but I'm really excited to support the kind of ocean that OOO is aiming at.
Aye - my comment was not saying that people who want a subscription should stay on their own ocean, but that people in general should not be playing Crimson simply because the game economy was cheaper. Basically people shouldn't be playing here because they can get a pet for less than other oceans (currently they can't but I would like them to.)

For Crimson to work well it needs to be populated with those who agree with the core concept of being family friendly.

I also understand your comments about preferring subscription to doubloons, they are typical of long-time subscribers though they are a bit skewed. I know it is a common belief that the majority of green ocean players are simply buying their way to success but in my experience I haven't found that to be true. Doublooners are often playing more frequently than subscribers because they generally earn the poe to buy doubloons on the exchange. (In fact that is why the exchange rate has skyrocketed over the last year - demand is up but people still are using the exchange rather than handing over cash.) In my first year and half or so of playing, I think I only actually bought doubloons twice, for $9.95 each. Typically it is the subscribers who find doubloons confusing - those of us that started on a green ocean just learned it along with everything else.

Don't get me wrong - I've subscribed a bit as well, and in my opinion it's a far better deal, but I only like to do it if I know that I can play quite a bit that month, if I know I am going to be busy for a while I'll get doubloons so that I can still play in my free moments. For this reason, I like the badges for the kids so they can pick right back up after football season (or whatever else might fill a kid's time.) I am still convinced that we can find a happy medium, keeping the badge functionality but lowering (and in some cases removing) the doubloon delivery charges across the board.

I think it would be a huge can of worms to have subscriptions and doubloons on the same ocean, but maybe what would be useful would be a monthly subscription badge that could be purchased that took the place of all the badges. So for $9.95 (or whatever was fair) you could get full badge access for the month plus the 20 doubloon allotment and the other perks of the club. If prices were lowered then that allotment would go a long way throughout the month for everything else.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 5, 2009 6:40:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

20 doubloons per month isn't a bad rate.

30 login days per badge is the problem.

What if, instead of paying 8 for an officer badge (why does everyone spend 10 for the SO badge?), 4 for parlor, and 5 for labor, you instead spent 4, 2, and 2, but all of those were 15 login days?

What if, instead of paying for a normal labor badge, you only purchased a "labor puzzle" badge, which did not provide offline labor, but still let you play those puzzles?

4, 2, and 1, total 7, for 15 login days. That should last you your month, and give you another 13 for your first set of items, with more items next month.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jul 6, 2009 3:50:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

*pokes TMBTC* Parlour badge on Crimson is only 2 now. There's only 3 puzzles to unlock so that made perfect sense to see.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 6, 2009 4:14:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

So make it 1 dub for 15 login days.

6 dubs to play the puzzles, and another 14 to get your sword, bludgeon, and mug clothes
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BehindCurtai at Jul 6, 2009 4:27:12 PM]
[Jul 6, 2009 4:25:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Master15S wrote: 
Patetch wrote: 

The only problem with the bold is that some kids WILL transfer over to green oceans one day. When they do, people that are like me would find it confusing that, all of the sudden, "Doubloons" are the thing they use. the plus side, however, is that the new name suggests a new price.. Meaning the jump from the ~1k to 2k+ (Depending on how long in the future that is) would be easier. So I guess it can be seen from both sides.

I DO agree that dubs need to be non-transferable... I earned 2.5k on a pillage over on Crimson and instead of it being, "Oh, just 2.5k" it was more, "YAY! 2.k!" The difference is how much it'll get you, but if dubs are tranferable, then that won;t last. How much are dubs on Malachite anymore? They were 500 the day it opened. I think it is safe to say they are at least on par with the rest of the oceans, meaning 2k+ (I got the impression that Hunter is higher than Viridian, currently)

Just my 2 PoE.
~Padme

A while back, during one of many endless blue/green debates, I had the idea of providing subscribers with all badges and a monthly stipend of an untradeable doubloon surrogate that I called triploons. What if that were adapted to Crimson so that the doubloons received from the Golden Doubloon Club were actually untradable, but that parents could continue to buy supplemental packages of regular doubloons for the kids? It won't completely isolate the red and green economies but it will act as a buffer.

*Original idea here - http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1273155#1273155
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fiddler at Jul 8, 2009 10:39:49 AM]
[Jul 8, 2009 10:38:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
PoshJosh

I already posted/vented in the Crimson Beta thread, and was pointed to this thread for my comments. My apologies for not noticing that my topic was already being discussed partly in this thread.

I want delivery dubs done away with and/or modified and this is why:

Coming from a sub ocean, playing for 5 years now, and trying to learn doubloons, I must say that the most FRUSTRATING thing I tried to do was deliver an order I paid for and not having the doubloons to do it.

I thought that the idea behind doubloons was to enable people to pick and choose what features to spend money on that full subscribers paid for to use. Free players on Sub oceans do not need to pay extra to deliver an item they've ordered. The only restriction on some items is that they must be an officer or shop/stall owner/manager to deliver. I don't understand the necessity of doubloons to be able to deliver a product that doesn't require you to be an officer or a manager/owner in order to use.

And yes, I'm aware you can purchase doubloons with POE but IMO, that just adds to the overall price of the product as well as adding more hoops to jump through, and again, there is nothing on sub oceans that I'm aware of that compares to this unique feature on Doubloon Oceans.

Am I misunderstanding something somehow? Couldn't non sub items be available at no delivery charge, while sub items be charged a reasonable one?

edited to add another possible solution from the crimson beta thread: So maybe the solution is to include the delivery cost of doubloons in the purchase up front, if it's so impossible to remove the cost of doubloons on delivery altogether. I still don't like it, but it would solve the problem I have of buying something and not being able to have it. If I really want it, I better have the doubloons already.
~just call me STUPID

"No, you're stupid because you can neither remember what you said, nor read the bit I quoted. You should just give up and sod off already."
Blobbles

[Edit 1 times, last edit by PoshJosh at Jul 14, 2009 11:48:29 PM]
[Jul 14, 2009 8:27:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

I thought that the idea behind doubloons was to enable people to pick and choose what features to spend money on that full subscribers paid for to use.

You were almost right - the latter part of your statement is incorrect. That non-subscribers get such a huge range of options that don't require a subscription (getting portraits, owning housing & arranging furniture, and run a stall) is incredibly permissive, and I imagine that if subscription oceans were created after doubloon oceans a lot more of those would require an active subscription.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jul 15, 2009 12:04:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates