• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6128 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Ravendruid

Family subscription

What is the possibility that the next red ocean would have a more traditional subscriber system? I've read that OOO is planning on this being only the first in a series. from what I've played on here so far, I know that if I could just subscribe and not have to worry about badges and what not, I would transfer over in a heartbeat. I would even buy a second subscription just for this server, if necessary.

I've been playing on Subscription oceans for over five years now. The model makes sense to me. I pay one price, up front, on a continuing basis, and have access to the entire game. The dubs and the badges, I just find terribly confusing and frustrating.

I'm sure that for a lot of younger pirates, too the idea of "oh, you can't do this puzzle or play this part of the game today because we've only payed for x number of dubs" would be rather confusing as well. Even the "golden Doubloon" club seems to just further muddy the waters.

Other pirates I've talked to have felt similarly, so I know I'm not the only one.

Thanks for your patience.
----------------------------------------
Cleaver says:

Mmmm... delicious protesters... can I get fries with those?

[Jul 2, 2009 6:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lileycraig42 [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Re: Family subscription

Even the "golden Doubloon" club seems to just further muddy the waters.

Elsewhere I have suggested that it be possible for parents of younger children to be able to have access to a panel including "auto-buy badge".

I realise I'm muddying the waters even further, but perhaps such a control panel could offer small discounts on badges, no more than 25%.

On a non-sinking ocean, ships stay around and remain a one-time purchase.

Perhaps a "super-badge" for say 15 dubs per month (30 playing days) available only to the dub sub club, so that they get left with 5 dubs if they play every day, but with 25 dubs every two months if they only play 1 day in 2.

Given that the dub club is $5 and initial cost of a sub is $10, I like the business decision to make the club cheap enough to be a serious option for a kid to ask their parents. Not so sure about purple names ;) but my point is that the next pure sub ocean should be for adults.
[Jul 2, 2009 6:21:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I don't think we're going to see another sub ocean. Ever.
The Ringers like the doubloon model.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 2, 2009 6:30:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

The Ringers like the doubloon model.

However, the dub sub club is available to all oceans, even if the special purple names are only on Crimson.

What I would like to see for subscribers is not so much a brand new ocean, as a place to compete. But that's a different matter.
[Jul 2, 2009 6:42:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Corsetcrush

I have been playing for 5+ years, was a greeter on Midnight (before the system changed), and played (mostly docktarted) regularly until real word circumstances caused me to lose access to the game right before blockades were released. By the time I was able to get back into the game a year and a half later, it felt as if absolutely everything had changed. I believe poker was out by then and it was all anyone was talking about, blockades were old news, and the greeter system had changed or changed shortly there after. Needless to say it felt almost like the entire game had changed.

This is the only online game that has kept me coming back year after year, subscription after subscription. This is no exaggeration.

I love the idea of a family/kid safe ocean. I do not have a problem with the excluded games, or even the changed chat (even though I'm dyslexic), because to me it feels a lot more familiar and I have hope that it will be a lot more friendlier place than the other oceans can be sometimes. I agree with Ravendruid about a subscriber Red ocean, I have thought about the doubloons for years and they still make no sense to me. I have family members (of many different ages) that I would love to be able to play with on the game but I feel that the regular subscription oceans would not be right or appropriate for them for various reasons. I know full well that they would never go for the doubloon system and thinking about how to explain it to them would be a mess in itself.

It makes so much more sense to me to have a family oceans for the subscribers, especially with younger kids, so there isn't the frustration of having to explain to the kids why they can't do something because they are out of dubs. Not to mention the parents (or whoever is paying) not feeling nickled and dimed to death just so the kids can play the "Full" game.

If there was one, I'd switch over from Cobalt at the first chance I could, because for me, I can see huge benefits even though my pirate has built a life of her own there with a crew, multiple ships, stats, trinkets, trophies, many houses including a mansion, and even her pets. They may seem like trivial things to some, but they mean a lot to me.

Personally I am one of those that feel like poker honestly sunk the game and would love to have a poker free ocean to play without having the Dubs screwing it up. It's like having a shiny new toy dangled in front of a kids face and then having it snatched away because they don't have the right kind of money.
[Jul 2, 2009 6:55:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

However, the dub sub club is available to all oceans, even if the special purple names are only on Crimson.

The gifts, too. Pity - I'd love to have a limited-edition red cat on Cobalt.
[Jul 2, 2009 8:06:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Maby we should see if this is going to be a success or an epic flop, before we start talking about making a new one.
Nunny
[Jul 3, 2009 12:14:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Maby we should see if this is going to be a success or an epic flop, before we start talking about making a new one.

The ocean has had a generally good impact so far. I'm sure it will have areas that need more work to be perfect but I really can't see this ocean "epically flopping" so to speak.

With regards to subscriptions- what you got to bear in mind is that the two existing subscription oceans are also the first oceans (of those that exist today) to exist. Since then, every other ocean released has been a doubloon ocean. The Three Rings don't seem to have the intention of bringing out more subscription oceans at all. The doubloon oceans are alos arguably more popular than the subscription oceans as well which probably explains the above.

Therefore, I'd probably agree with Catalina:

Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Jul 3, 2009 8:32:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

I would like to see a separate Sub Family Ocean. The Dub Sub club is fine for doub oceans, but for those with a long background on Sub oceans, the change is difficult, and not always pleasant.

I can see charging existing subscribers a small surcharge for the extra sub family ocean access. After all, they have to buy (or earn) doubs now to play on the green oceans.

Also, it would be GREAT, should a sub family ocean be created, if existing dub ocean pirates could be moved over (one time, one direction only.) If kids have worked hard to make a pirate, they should not have to start over. Optional at startup of the account only.

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Avatar by the arrrsome Billshakes
[Jul 14, 2009 9:23:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Aliyah

Birdy, I don't see OOO letting the kids "move up" to a regular ocean with their made pirate on Crimson. Every pirate has to restart if they go to a different ocean and every ocean stats are just a little different. I do agree they will be in for a shock to move to the "big pirate" oceans, but that is part of the fun. There are puzzles and events there that will make it worth restarting.
~Thank yer lucky stars Lily isn't bnavving!
[Jul 14, 2009 10:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

I agree with that completely. What I was suggesting was that, if OOO were to make a family subscription ocean in addition to the existing doub ocean, pirates on Crimson be allowed to move over keeping their stats and items. One time move, limited window of opportunity even. Moving UP to a real ocean, yeah, start a new pirate, and a whole new adventure.

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Avatar by the arrrsome Billshakes
[Jul 14, 2009 6:20:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anwealde

With regards to subscriptions- what you got to bear in mind is that the two existing subscription oceans are also the first oceans (of those that exist today) to exist. Since then, every other ocean released has been a doubloon ocean. The Three Rings don't seem to have the intention of bringing out more subscription oceans at all. The doubloon oceans are alos arguably more popular than the subscription oceans as well which probably explains the above.

Therefore, I'd probably agree with Catalina:I don't think we're going to see another sub ocean. Ever.

I am a subscriber on sub oceans. I tried the crimson ocean and got seriously annoyed when I was told I had to pay a dubloon to have a whisking potion delivered after I had already paid the POE for it. I don't have to subscribe to buy/deliver/use whisking potions on sub oceans so why should I have to use/buy dubloons on dub oceans in order to have stuff delivered to me that I could normally have delivered on a sub ocean without subbing? MONEY! COLD HARD CASH!

Three Rings makes more money on dub oceans which is why every friend/family member I have helped to start a pirate without using my special link to auto go to my ocean and crew has been put automatically on a dub ocean with no option to choose an ocean from the beginning before they make a pirate. When starting a new account, one must first make the pirate then go to the ocean that one is auto put on (so far 3 for 3 going to dub oceans). Save your pirate and info. Then on the login page go to "change ocean" option. Why can't people choose up front what ocean they might want?

Three Rings makes more money on the dub oceans via the dub system where you pay a dub for stuff you would not have to be subscribed for on the sub ocean. (ie delivery of a whisk potion from shop)

Once a person starts a pirate on the dub ocean they don't want to lose the stats and time put into that pirate so they are less likely to change to a sub ocean. This means PP and Three Rings makes more cash while people are either trapped on dub oceans or forced to lose time spent on pirates in order to enjoy the more economical subscription system.

As for the new "family" ocean Crimson, I still have not returned to pick up my whisking potion and have no intentions of returning there to play with my kids. It would cost more to play even at the "gold" dub rate than for me to play on sub oceans. I did the math based on how much I play and the things I do on the sub ocean which costs dubs. Subs won hands down as being easier on my pocket book.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Anwealde at Jul 17, 2009 12:35:11 AM]
[Jul 17, 2009 12:20:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

I tried the crimson ocean and got seriously annoyed when I was told I had to pay a dubloon to have a whisking potion delivered after I had already paid the POE for it. I don't have to subscribe to buy/deliver/use whisking potions on sub oceans so why should I have to use/buy dubloons on dub oceans in order to have stuff delivered to me that I could normally have delivered on a sub ocean without subbing? MONEY! COLD HARD CASH!

This is a question that doubloon users have been asking for quite a long time now.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 17, 2009 12:46:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

I did the math based on how much I play and the things I do on the sub ocean which costs dubs.

When I did the math I discovered that a year on Viridian only costs me about $23 worth of doubloons. Since I can't subscribe for nearly that cheap dubs won hands down as being easier on my pocket book.

All of which is a way of saying that if your concern is more for your pocketbook than the quality of game that you get then go for whatever works out cheaper for you. If, however, you like the idea of the red oceans then perhaps you could be a little less angry in your posts and instead come up with some reasonable ("get rid of doubloons" isn't reasonable) suggestions on improving gameplay for everyone on Crimson.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jul 17, 2009 1:00:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Anwealde

If, however, you like the idea of the red oceans then perhaps you could be a little less angry in your posts and instead come up with some reasonable ("get rid of doubloons" isn't reasonable) suggestions on improving gameplay for everyone on Crimson.

I am not saying get rid of dubloons; however, I should be able to play and do the same things on a dubloon ocean that I can do on a subscriber ocean without having to pay on either. This is not the way they set it up. Paying for goods to be delivered via dub is NOT equal to sub oceans. I should be charged dubloons only for those things that are required to be subscribed for on a sub ocean. This should be especially true on the family oceans. Equality on the oceans is all I am asking for.
[Jul 17, 2009 3:22:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Two different payment models. In one, you pay Three Rings some real money for everything up front, but after that you don't need anything but poe to buy stuff in-game. In the other, you pay as you go - you can play the basic game for free, but for anything you want over the bare minimum, you have to put another quarter into the slot.

Either way, they get money from you (unless you're good enough at the game to earn enough poe to buy doubloons for free) to keep the game running. Me, I'd rather pay once at the beginning of the year and not having to keep feeding coins into the slot. And if you end up putting in more than $10 worth of quarters each month, subscription is probably the better deal. EDIT: However, as of right now, it is NOT an available option for family oceans - only doubloons.

EDIT again for clarity: There is no way at present for subscribed players to enjoy all of the benefits of those subscriptions (like not having to pay delivery charges) on doubloon oceans, of which Crimson is one. I'm sure Faulkston will be along presently to link to past discussions of how or if this should be changed.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at Jul 17, 2009 3:44:29 PM]
[Jul 17, 2009 3:32:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I wrote an admittedly lengthy post that hopefully will shed some light on the differences between subscription and doubloons and why they are that way.

I should be charged dubloons only for those things that are required to be subscribed for on a sub ocean. This should be especially true on the family oceans. Equality on the oceans is all I am asking for.
It is set up exactly the same as all the other doubloon oceans so in actuality it is only Cobalt and Midnight that are not the same as all the rest and subscribers there are getting a fabulous deal, even non-subscribers enjoy the benefits of cheaper prices. Obviously Three Rings has found the doubloon model to work better and logically it would be more practical to bring subscription oceans in line with doubloon oceans rather than the other way around, I am sure that is not what you want.

Yes, there probably could stand to be some re-balancing going on, when the doubloon model was set up there was a whole lot less content in the game. Same goes for when they decided what would be subscriber content and what would not be.

Yes, many of us doubloon players would agree that the prices are quite high, it doesn't seem reasonable that things like whisking potions should have a doubloon charge (which on a green ocean puts that potion at upwards of 2k.) Just wait until you start pricing things like portraits, palace goods, housing and ships - however - those charges are there to ensure that someone is buying doubloons and keeping the bills paid at Three Rings.

In my opinion, if being a non-paying player on a green ocean was equivalent to being one on a blue ocean, I don't think there would have been a red ocean in the first place, because more than likely there is a larger percentage of them on a green ocean than on a blue one.
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Jul 17, 2009 5:40:06 PM]
[Jul 17, 2009 5:36:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates