• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7731 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
Jorshuad

No hearts and spades on crimson?

I understand most of the changes made to crimson, but I fail to see why hearts and spades were removed. I have personally been playing similar card games with my family since about age 9, and I fail to see why the removal of these is required for crimson.
----------------------------------------
I is Jorshua on Viridian

I see you as somone who likes argument a lot.
- Bubsnow

Don't worry if you suck at rigging, the rest of us here do too. Except for god over there.
- Randompanzy with gramatical fixes by jorsh
[Jul 1, 2009 6:45:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

Re: No hearts and spades on crimson?

Well, obviously it'll encourage compulsive gambling, bad passers and collusion which is bad. Mmkay.
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Jul 1, 2009 11:26:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
Satan666Hell

Well, obviously it'll encourage compulsive gambling, bad passers and collusion which is bad. Mmkay.

But you can't gamble? =o

I've been playing hearts since I was 5 >.<
Look of Sage.

Drinking <3
[Jul 2, 2009 5:46:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
makalintal

Agreed. It should be in game. I dont know about Spades but Hearts is my favorite. Since I was like 6-7, I play that game and its fun. I hope the developers put that in game but I suggest NO WAGER. just for fun.
°ßonifacio- Born in Sage°
[Jul 2, 2009 6:09:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/myprofile [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Aye, I agree BUT...

Spades is a game of partnerships, which can be hard to understand.

Hearts is a game where yer best strategy may well be to be nasty to the person that is already losing.

Poker is obviously not ok.

The best card game for Crimson: Cribbage. It is genuinely nautical, and even starts with the same three letters. It isn't complicated, yet has complexities, and can be played 1v1 to 31, 61, or 121, and would also be a welcome addition to other oceans.

Gambling-style game: Nap. Everybody plays for themselves, and it is much simpler than hearts and spades (just 5 tricks). Play it with matchsticks; all at risk is ranking.
[Jul 2, 2009 6:37:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
argyletarran

Cribbage isn't complicated?! LOL Must just be me.

I say Go Fish or War.
Argyle,
casual pirate
[Jul 2, 2009 7:14:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discojack

Spades is a game of partnerships, which can be hard to understand.

Hearts is a game where yer best strategy may well be to be nasty to the person that is already losing.

Spades is a complex team game but something liek pillaging isn't?

Hearts is less confrontational then say duel swordfighting/rumbling as far as I'm concerned as in these you aim to beat someone rather then like in hearts to simply keep your score lower then others. (you less actively try to sabotage others then protect your score )
When God gives you lemons
Find a new God!

Viprince
[Jul 3, 2009 2:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

I rather leave in some intellectually stimulating games otherwise the ocean seems like 'No child left behind'.
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Jul 3, 2009 4:48:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Go Fish would be hysterical, and so would Old Maid. Make the characters on the cards the OMs. Too funny. And if you won at Go Fish, you could win a fish bludgeon, one in new condition!

Also, what if the hearts and spades tables only allowed for one real person and the others were NPCs? Isn't that how the card games work when you play them on Windows?
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Jul 3, 2009 7:47:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

From what I understand, the changes made to create this Family Ocean have been dictated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board- the ESRB. By law, the Three Rings must comply with their ratings: a guide of which can be found here. I like yourselves, don't see hearts or spades as a form of gambling but as it has been removed for the Crimson Ocean, the ESRB must have deemed it to be so. OOO can't just add these two games purely because what their being asked to do doesn't makes sense.

Quite simply, I'd have thought the only reason these games were removed was because they had to be removed in order to make the game suitable for everyone. As it stands, hearts and spades are likely to not return.

What you also need to remember is that there are many other English Oceans (6 in fact) that do allow hearts and spades to be played. The vast majority of those who do play these games can do so there.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Jul 3, 2009 8:20:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I like yourselves, don't see hearts or spades as a form of gambling but as it has been removed for the Crimson Ocean, the ESRB must have deemed it to be so.
I have a hard time believing that the ESRB deemed hearts inappropriate - it comes standard with Windows and is included in every collection of kids card games I have ever seen.
I believe that the problem did indeed lie with either the wagering or scamming potential.

Also, what if the hearts and spades tables only allowed for one real person and the others were NPCs?
I'd love this option, even on the regular oceans. I really enjoy playing both hearts and spades...elsewhere (my personal favorite is the Parker Brother's Classic Card Games , which if you notice, is listed on a children's software site, because it has the "E for everyone" rating, and yes, it even had the option of playing with others over the internet.) I do not play it here on YPP however because I have had the misfortune of too many bad experiences with other players. I'd play it just for the enjoyment of playing - it wouldn't have to be rated. I would even say two people for Spades, and they could choose to play with each other vs the computer or each have a computer partner and play against each other.

Go Fish would be hysterical, and so would Old Maid. Make the characters on the cards the OMs. Too funny. And if you won at Go Fish, you could win a fish bludgeon, one in new condition!
Love it! :)

I picked up a game recently for one of my nephew's birthdays that was called something like "Crazy old fish war" which combined elements from crazy 8s, old maid, go fish, and war ~ maybe I should ask him what the rules were - sounded like a lot of crazy fun. :D
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Patetch at Jul 3, 2009 8:56:39 AM]
[Jul 3, 2009 8:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Just straight up war, but with marine life for cards. "Clownfish." "Parrotfish. I win!" "Shark!" "Dolphin, sorry, I win again!" It'd be awesome.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 3, 2009 8:49:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

From what I understand, the changes made to create this Family Ocean have been dictated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board- the ESRB. By law, the Three Rings must comply with their ratings: a guide of which can be found here. I like yourselves, don't see hearts or spades as a form of gambling but as it has been removed for the Crimson Ocean, the ESRB must have deemed it to be so. OOO can't just add these two games purely because what their being asked to do doesn't makes sense.

The ESRB rating process is 100% optional for PC games (games for the major consoles are required by the console manufacturers to be rated by the ESRB). Puzzle Pirates itself was not rated until the box edition came out, and I suspect Ubisoft handled that. Many independent PC games do not have ratings because the rating process is rather expensive.

In fact, if you look on the ESRB site, you will only find one rating for Puzzle Pirates, the T that was issued for the original box...the only content descriptor is Use of Alcohol.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 3, 2009 4:49:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

In fact, if you look on the ESRB site, you will only find one rating for Puzzle Pirates, the T that was issued for the original box...the only content descriptor is Use of Alcohol.

It was almost as if they deliberately did that to ensure that they didn't need to comply with COPPA. Especially when the lower age limit was reduced from 14 to 13.
[Jul 3, 2009 4:51:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

It was almost as if they deliberately did that to ensure that they didn't need to comply with COPPA. Especially when the lower age limit was reduced from 14 to 13.

In some ways, it might be nice if they raised their age limit on the other oceans back to 14 or maybe even 15. (Grandfathering anyone who joined before the age change, of course.)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 3, 2009 6:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jutecloth

If there will be no card games on Crimson - if - should the card-suit symbols be removed from the parlor badge?
Bakunin wrote: 
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called "the People's Stick".
Darksand wrote: 
[S]chadenfreude is a positive externality for some of us.

[Jul 5, 2009 4:58:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Emzis

Randompanzy said in another thread about another missing puzzle:
log off, log onto one of the main oceans. problem solved :)

I think that sentence is more appropriate here :)

I like crimson because it has no poker dorks/parlour tarts, and although I would like a remake of the drinking puzzle with less alcohol orientated pieces and a non-alcoholic name, I find it easier to pillage because the people who log on to crimson log on to pillage and not sit around playing parlour games. No more "I'll be five minutes" Five hours later, your hearties are still on the card games.
Saphira on Cobalt, Ice, Opal, Jade, Crimson and Malachite
Shadowkisses on all oceans. Captain of the Death Hunter Rogue
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Emzis at Jul 5, 2009 8:02:08 AM]
[Jul 5, 2009 7:56:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

If there will be no card games on Crimson - if - should the card-suit symbols be removed from the parlor badge?

I'm currently still wondering whether this a serious comment or not but I'll assume it is for the sake of simpleness.

How are the card suits unsuitable for a younger audience? The card games are removed because of how they can be applied. The symbols on the cards don't have any actual "adult meaning" to them therefore it wouldn't make sense to replace them.

[Jul 5, 2009 9:05:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I don't believe the question meant they thought that the card symbols were too adult but rather not accurately depicting parlor games. Personally I don't think it is a big issue, it is a pretty standard symbol for leisure activities.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 5, 2009 11:44:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

I don't believe the question meant they thought that the card symbols were too adult but rather not accurately depicting parlor games. Personally I don't think it is a big issue, it is a pretty standard symbol for leisure activities.

Oh right... that makes sense...

Nevertheless, I think the symbols should stay.

[Jul 6, 2009 7:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

In spades, you can be hurt by your teammate, in a very different way than in pillaging.

("You bleeping jerk, why'd you do that" versus "Next time we'll team better".)

Hearts? Yea, there's deliberate sabotage. It starts with passing with the intent to cause harm. I can see some parents wanting that lesson to not be learned.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jul 6, 2009 4:03:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Laeinea

See my Sig :D.
Odila
Cobalt
~... Which, if I was some ugly lizard, I'd be getting all up in my virginity....~ (Brought to you by the letter A and OdorofFrodo.)

Bologna on the hood works better than slashing tires.

[Jul 6, 2009 6:17:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Michaelan3

i think it would be nice to have some card games nongambling since its under thirteen. put in some games liek hearts spades uno anything rummy just for the kids. they get bored with carousing since there is only one puzzle it makes duties seem more fun than carousing that's ridicolous. alteast consider putting in some card games.
M!(H@3L ALL3N
[Sep 19, 2009 7:09:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates