• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  


Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 245
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 71418 times and has 244 replies Next Thread
starrarose

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 23, 2004
Posts: 6123
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
If Crimson is going to be a place where young children are encouraged to learn about the game, there are going to be tons of questions that many current greeters are not going to be willing to answer in a friendly manner. I know there are exceptions to this statement, but I also know how snippy /gr gets on Sage, e.g.


There are also a lot of people who haven't taken the time to actually read anything before logging on to the ocean and hitting /duty. "What's a family ocean" is a scary question from someone who is supposed to be helping new players learn about the game. Maybe trigger another browser page for dutying on on Crimson but some of the things that are being asked on Crimson are just... frightening.
----------------------------------------
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 4, 2009 6:57:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 25, 2003
Posts: 7325
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

"The blind leading the blind" is even more applicable than on other oceans.
----------------------------------------
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 4, 2009 7:12:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 739
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
Re: misuse of greetership ... There should be stricter requirements for being a greeter on Crimson than on the other oceans.


I've been pitching a fit for years about the greeter requirements, or lack there of.

Even more than ever though, I have to agree, Crimson needs stricter guidelines than even the regular oceans should have.

I've heard all the arguments against the "greeter club" and how it becomes a nasty little gang of show-offs in their own little popularity contest, but I think even at its worst, it had to have been far better than what we have now!
----------------------------------------
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jul 4, 2009 10:15:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 3, 2005
Posts: 1465
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
 
Re: misuse of greetership ... There should be stricter requirements for being a greeter on Crimson than on the other oceans.


I've been pitching a fit for years about the greeter requirements, or lack there of.

Even more than ever though, I have to agree, Crimson needs stricter guidelines than even the regular oceans should have.

I've heard all the arguments against the "greeter club" and how it becomes a nasty little gang of show-offs in their own little popularity contest, but I think even at its worst, it had to have been far better than what we have now!

I like the idea of having to pass a written test in order to become a greeter. I'm aware that this has been suggested and shot down before due to the ability to cheat, but certainly that shows that someone at least has the ability to look up answers.
----------------------------------------
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.


Avatar by Phaerie.
[Jul 4, 2009 10:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azathoth4

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Posts: 154
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

On greeters, and access to accurate information:

Part of the problem, and also part of the reason I am a greeter on on Crimson, is I have yet to find and truly specific Family Sever info. I had 3 ships before I realized that I could not let other crew members borrow them. YPPedia was and maybe still is lacking in this regard, and there are no in game documents explaining this. The very first section on holds in the official documents states that you can prevent crew mates from stealing from you by locking your vessel, which you can not do or undo. The section on how to chart STILL admonishes ship captains to have enough rum on board, as and landlubber knows a pirate needs his rum.

I would love to find an accurate listing of what is the same and what has changed between Crimson and the other oceans. What I have found so far is woefully inadequate, incomplete, and just plain wrong.

Still hoping, still praying, still cringing :)
----------------------------------------
Azathoth on Midnight, Viridian, Sage, Hunter, Crimson, and Ice
Asathoth on Cobalt and Malchite, because someone took Azathoth before I could
Captain of The Pallbearers, King of The Undertakers
[Jul 4, 2009 11:22:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azathoth [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 4, 2003
Posts: 5756
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

Note that the YPPedia left out the fact that rum is typically disabled on new oceans...at least it does not appear in most places you'd go looking for it.

We still don't know if there will be no boat gas needed ever, or if something else will replace it.
----------------------------------------
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 5, 2009 12:52:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 23, 2004
Posts: 6123
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

Something that was just pointed out to me....

The names of the archipelagos.

The map for "Jade" is blue, and the map for "Onyx" is purple, do we have charts the wrong colour or names the wrong colours?

EDIT:

A small problem. Upright Rum Barrel. recipe requires 10 units of grog... on an ocean that doesn't have grog.
----------------------------------------
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by starrarose at Jul 5, 2009 2:52:29 AM]
[Jul 5, 2009 1:26:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Posts: 3340
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

RE: Greetership - yeah I agree that there should be some more requirements, especially here. There should be some expression of knowledge. Of course I feel the same way about Ice - can't stand it when people log on their that never read the forums and have no clue what is being tested.

Anyway...back to the point at hand...Crimson is still beta, the YPPedia is mostly player created, and it is a holiday weekend here in the States which means that the majority of the development team (at least those stateside) are probably not in the office hammering away at this right now, give it a little time.

On that note, I am not recommending brand new players to come to Crimson right away, at least not by themselves. Yes, a couple of my nephews have been there with me as I explain things, but generally it is not a good experience for new players, yet (but it will get there if beta gets good testing and continues to spawn thoughtful forum discussions rather than just reactions.)
----------------------------------------
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 5, 2009 6:23:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Emzis

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Posts: 219
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

I have found two other uses for this ocean:

First being the whitelist. If you type a word wrong, it won't let you say a sentence. So this will really help people with spelling :)

Secondly, an experiment to see if poker and atlantis really contribute to an ocean. I for one struggle to get jobbers because of these activities on other oceans and welcome a more pillage orientated ocean.
----------------------------------------
Saphira on Cobalt, Ice, Opal, Jade, Crimson and Malachite
Shadowkisses on all oceans. Captain of the Death Hunter Rogue
[Jul 5, 2009 8:09:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burnella

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 6, 2005
Posts: 16
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

It has been interesting to help our kids join Crimson after they have seen us play for years. I've read most of the posts in this thread and talked with my family about feedback. This is what we came up with:

* I totally agree with Fiddler's comments about spelling. I think the chat is something ALL players will need to get used to. I like it, for the most part. Maybe some type of 'spell correction' could be added later.

* Also, I think it would be handy for a parent to be able to turn off chat for their kid. However, there would have to be a way to indicate to other players that they do not see the chat. They might be unintentionally planked because they fail to see the message to move to a different station.

* I really somewhat feel planking should be disabled. I was jobbing with my 12 yo, and he was planked on the ship we both hopped on because "his stats stunk". I think this is truly not an ocean for that type of behavior. For this reason, I would strongly suggest PARENTS TO PILLAGE WITH THEIR CHILD WITH THEIR CREW to teach them what is expected of them. I'm not sure what a good alternative there is to deal with problem jobbers. As an alternative, one could be disciplined for 'over-planking'. That would seem to be hard to manage. Hmmm.....What to do?

* Could there be a way to show a display screen every time a child logs in to Crimson that shows an etiquette tip? It could teach them a helpful fact every time they log in (ex: 'Generally you do not leave a pilly in battle', 'Usually you ask to 'ptb' when boarding a ship from the docs', etc.) Is it better to inform them of these kind of things? Or are they going to be further held accountable to them compared to them not knowing these fuzzy rules?

* Could there be a way for the parent to turn off the ability for their child to go jobbing . Basically their kid could only pilly with their crew, or pilly with the navy (navy pay being boosted a little in this situation?).

* Possibly have an initial navy mission to teach kids proper jobbing manners? (When joining a ship, you are expected to play a puzzle, etc)?

* The puzzles so far are so incredibly hard for my 10 & 12 yo. They see 'learning' a whole lot (Which I think is definitely tons better than seeing booched!). It seems the duty report system measurement is tough....is that going to tone down soon? Is it still just the new ocean effect?

* Lastly is it changing the game too much to have the stations on a ship contribute to the betterment of the ship? ex: Bilge not be directly related to clearing the ship of water, but to help the whole of a ship. That way, you don't have to try to force kids to do a puzzle they don't like (similar to forcing your kids to eat something they detest?)? I'm not sure how to describe this, I just think it might be hard for younguns to want to do what the CO is telling them to. If they can do the puzzle they want, the CO doesn't have to be frustrated with them. Just tell them to pick a puzzle and get at it. I know this is a hard suggestion and takes away a little from the spirit of the game.

A lot of these suggestions are not because I expect a lot out of my kids. It's because I know how hard players on this game can be to other players. Unless that lightens up, the game is not going to be a fun place for children. I really don't know how to implement most of these things. They are only thoughts and suggestions.
----------------------------------------
Arrrrr!

Snubnose on Viridian, Cobalt & Crimson
Arrmani on Hunter
[Jul 5, 2009 4:47:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 7, 2003
Posts: 1191
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
* Could there be a way to show a display screen every time a child logs in to Crimson that shows an etiquette tip ? It could teach them a helpful fact every time they log in (ex: 'Generally you do not leave a pilly in battle', 'Usually you ask to 'ptb' when boarding a ship from the docs', etc.) Is it better to inform them of these kind of things? Or are they going to be further held accountable to them compared to them not knowing these fuzzy rules?

This. On "real" oceans too, kkthxbai.

The problem with Crimson stats now is that supermegaultimate pirates from the "real" oceans have come over to get on the Ultimate List. Once the newness wears off -- and they get their trophies on an ocean they will rarely play -- the puzzling will get easier for all of us. I was very annoyed at Ice when I first started playing there, but now that more and more people temporarily hop onto that ocean, the stat curve isn't as bad as it once was. And unfortunately, it's not that my puzzling is getting any better. I can pull excellents on friggin' Ice and other oceans, but on Crimson, I'm just learning! =/
----------------------------------------
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Jul 5, 2009 5:43:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Corsetcrush

Member's Avatar


Joined: Feb 7, 2004
Posts: 10
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
The point of that story is this: There should be stricter requirements for being a greeter on Crimson than on the other oceans. Crimson should hire greeters like the oceans used to hire them. There should be a test or some method of being chosen, not just because your account is old enough to successfully type /duty.

If Crimson is going to be a place where young children are encouraged to learn about the game, there are going to be tons of questions that many current greeters are not going to be willing to answer in a friendly manner. I know there are exceptions to this statement, but I also know how snippy /gr gets on Sage, e.g.


I have been back in the game now for a couple of months after a long hiatus and have been trying my best to observe how the game has changed and what there is to know now. I really loved being a greeter before the system changed and is part of the reason why currently I do not go on /duty. Don't get me wrong, I would love to step into the greeter shoes again but I just do not feel like I know the game well enough to actually be helpful as a greeter. I really do not know how many other people are in the same place that I am in but I assume I am not the only one.

There really should be some sort of training/tutorial/boundaries in place to ensure that the quality of greeters on Crimson are of a high grade. On Midnight I remember that there were a lot of crews that had a set program that was strictly followed before your pirate was promoted, often consisting of sf, bnav, pillaging and other training, but even with greetership back then I remember logging on one day and my name was pink (talk about being shocked!) It was like I was suddenly granted greetership with NO previous knowledge forewarning or anything, I was just being my normal docktarting self and being helpful and friendly. I knew one of the other pirates who was regularly on the dock was a greeter because I remembered his name from when I was a greenie but I didn't realize that the day before that there was two other greeters 'dressed as greenies' firing questions at me to see how I would handle it, and somehow that was part of the approval process (I still don't really understand.) And then once I had my pink name I was pretty much let loose with a single, almost glancing, mention that the greeters had their own hidden corner on the forums and to go there for more help.

I really wanted to be the best greeter that I could but I honestly felt completely helpless because of lack of training. Granted the Yppedia pages help but even there it says this:
 
Players are strongly encouraged to review the YPPedia information and general documentation on greetership and the game in general before /dutying on for the first time.

The problem I have is that it is not even required that the pages are looked at, its almost just glanced over.

With Crimson perhaps there is another change that could be reqired, perhaps changing the greetership so it is not just seen by the greenies, but everyone. I would really like it to be almost more like a librarian, people who are there to help ANYONE who has questions that they can be directed to someone who has the desire to take the time to answer appropriately and dig up the information if needed.

With Crimson especially I can understand the need for that by simply thinking about a younger kid who has played for a while and is no longer a greenie (and couldn't see the greeters) but their parent (who we can assume doesn't know much about the game) but some issue comes up, or even a question that the parent would need to talk to a knowledgeable pirate, currently I think in general most people might tell them to talk to an OM but I'm sure that they are plenty busy enough as it is. The 'librarians' would be the OMs little helpers if you want to think of it that way.

One of the biggest problems that I can remember with the "secret greeter club" format that it used to be in is that everything was hidden, making a lot of people very suspicious simply from that. After becoming a greeter I was shocked by the amount of regular pirates who would create greenie accounts to see who the greeters were, and then harass the greeter to put their name up for suggestion into the greeter pool. I had no idea that pirates did this, nor was I even given ANY sort of training and I was honestly very bothered by that fact.
[Jul 5, 2009 5:48:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 739
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
I really somewhat feel planking should be disabled. I was jobbing with my 12 yo, and he was planked on the ship we both hopped on because "his stats stunk". I think this is truly not an ocean for that type of behavior. For this reason, I would strongly suggest PARENTS TO PILLAGE WITH THEIR CHILD WITH THEIR CREW to teach them what is expected of them. I'm not sure what a good alternative there is to deal with problem jobbers. As an alternative, one could be disciplined for 'over-planking'. That would seem to be hard to manage. Hmmm.....What to do?


This is really sad. Big fish in a little pond much?

However, I don't think it would be fair to punish the entire ocean by removing the planking command. People use plank for more than just being jerks after all... Sometimes it's necessary to get rid of a person who's d/c, or someone who is behaving badly, or someone who has walked away from the computer for 7 minutes mid-battle.

There need to be consequences for naughty behavior on a ship, else we're raising YPP world's worst jobbers ever. Taking all the power away from the person running the ship seems a bit much.

On the flip side, crews that behave in the way described above should get a big fat social "BOOOOO!" I don't think mommy and daddy should have to be on every voyage to babysit, but I do think that it should be loudly conveyed that this type of attitude has no place on this ocean.
----------------------------------------
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jul 5, 2009 5:51:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 7, 2003
Posts: 1191
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
I would really like it to be almost more like a librarian, people who are there to help ANYONE who has questions that they can be directed to someone who has the desire to take the time to answer appropriately and dig up the information if needed.

EXACTLY!!! Maybe we don't need greeters any more at all...?
----------------------------------------
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Jul 5, 2009 5:52:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Azathoth4

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Posts: 154
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 

* Lastly is it changing the game too much to have the stations on a ship contribute to the betterment of the ship? ex: Bilge not be directly related to clearing the ship of water, but to help the whole of a ship. That way, you don't have to try to force kids to do a puzzle they don't like (similar to forcing your kids to eat something they detest?)? I'm not sure how to describe this, I just think it might be hard for younguns to want to do what the CO is telling them to. If they can do the puzzle they want, the CO doesn't have to be frustrated with them. Just tell them to pick a puzzle and get at it. I know this is a hard suggestion and takes away a little from the spirit of the game.


Stations already do this. In the example you give, while bilge station are there to get water out of the ship, getting rid of the water increases ship speed. Full bilge and 3 excellent/incredible sailors = very slow travel or very slow moves in battle. If this interdependency of stations is not what you were referring to, how would you suggest cotributing to the betterment of the ship?
----------------------------------------
Azathoth on Midnight, Viridian, Sage, Hunter, Crimson, and Ice
Asathoth on Cobalt and Malchite, because someone took Azathoth before I could
Captain of The Pallbearers, King of The Undertakers
[Jul 5, 2009 7:44:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azathoth [Link]  Go to top 
Azathoth4

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Posts: 154
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 


I have been back in the game now for a couple of months after a long hiatus and have been trying my best to observe how the game has changed and what there is to know now. I really loved being a greeter before the system changed and is part of the reason why currently I do not go on /duty. Don't get me wrong, I would love to step into the greeter shoes again but I just do not feel like I know the game well enough to actually be helpful as a greeter. I really do not know how many other people are in the same place that I am in but I assume I am not the only one.


I have been on duty almost from the start, but more to get information than to give it. As this is a new ocean with new parameters, most of which having little to no documentation, I am using it to see where others are encountering difficulties, and to answer questions I didn't even know I had. For example, greeter chat is where I found out the ships I left open for my crew could not be used by them. I probably would have found out sooner if I had stayed online after creating my crew and adding a few officers, but it was well past my bedtime at that point. Oh well.
----------------------------------------
Azathoth on Midnight, Viridian, Sage, Hunter, Crimson, and Ice
Asathoth on Cobalt and Malchite, because someone took Azathoth before I could
Captain of The Pallbearers, King of The Undertakers
[Jul 5, 2009 7:51:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azathoth [Link]  Go to top 
Tikikala

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 994
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
 

* Lastly is it changing the game too much to have the stations on a ship contribute to the betterment of the ship? ex: Bilge not be directly related to clearing the ship of water, but to help the whole of a ship. That way, you don't have to try to force kids to do a puzzle they don't like (similar to forcing your kids to eat something they detest?)? I'm not sure how to describe this, I just think it might be hard for younguns to want to do what the CO is telling them to. If they can do the puzzle they want, the CO doesn't have to be frustrated with them. Just tell them to pick a puzzle and get at it. I know this is a hard suggestion and takes away a little from the spirit of the game.


Stations already do this. In the example you give, while bilge station are there to get water out of the ship, getting rid of the water increases ship speed. Full bilge and 3 excellent/incredible sailors = very slow travel or very slow moves in battle. If this interdependency of stations is not what you were referring to, how would you suggest cotributing to the betterment of the ship?



also...

carp affects bilge,
bilge affects sail,
sail affects speed,
navigate gives bonus speed... and memorizing
----------------------------------------
Tikikala in Viridian (main) , Sage, Hunter, Malachite, Crimson, and Opal. (But I don't speak German. @_@)

 
Erfan wrote: Shore Leave is where the smart people hang out and pretend to be dumb.

more quotes coming soon...
[Jul 5, 2009 8:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 19, 2007
Posts: 4050
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

I think the suggestion here has some merit. The idea is that any station provides output to the ship's overall performance, i.e. a ship with only three sailors will contribute a fraction of their work to carpentry and bilge alike. There is less penalty to having a station not covered. This is one of the harder things to manage on a greenie pillage, the "one sails one carp one bilge" mantra for sloops, and so forth. People like to do their favorite station, some like to switch stations every five minutes, some would rather leave the ship than take a carpentry station.

Treasure Haul already works like this. In the days when it looked like the rush to TH was going to sink every ship, the developers made a change that caused all Treasure Haulers to contribute a fraction of work to sails, carpentry and bilge. I have seen it work: a Grand Frigate in a Treasure Haul bakeoff, with 159 people hauling and nobody on stations, stayed clean and dry with tokens to spare.

I think one question that will be asked for all such changes is, "How far will the codebase of Family oceans diverge from the main?" Because it is easy to set knobs and dials that simply disable puzzles, or change vessel locking behavior. This is a change that seems easy enough to set on a toggle. Some of the other changes being suggested are fairly pervasive, and would cost a lot to maintain in parallel with the main server code.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jul 5, 2009 8:23:49 PM]
[Jul 5, 2009 8:20:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
burnella

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 6, 2005
Posts: 16
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

Just a quick additional note. My son was playing the shipwrightery game and he was seeing finishing rating of Booched and Poor. Are the Crafting puzzles going to be like the Duty puzzles and say Learning instead of Booched and Poor? Just curious.
----------------------------------------
Arrrrr!

Snubnose on Viridian, Cobalt & Crimson
Arrmani on Hunter
[Jul 6, 2009 6:47:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 17, 2004
Posts: 5002
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
Just a quick additional note. My son was playing the shipwrightery game and he was seeing finishing rating of Booched and Poor. Are the Crafting puzzles going to be like the Duty puzzles and say Learning instead of Booched and Poor? Just curious.

I thought the same thing. I usually do very well in a couple of pillaging puzzles but all it seemed I could earn was learning or fine. Once in awhile a good, and that's after getting three consecutive bingos. Then today, my experience went up in the ocean a bit and my reports were better. I even got an Excellent! So, I'm not sure if its because of the initial pirate rush or not, but I think as the pirate ages in experience, so does his report? Anybody else notice this?
----------------------------------------
The name is Synful.
------------------------
Avatar by myself
[Jul 6, 2009 3:26:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ascorbate



Joined: Jan 17, 2008
Posts: 125
Status: Offline

Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
So, I'm not sure if its because of the initial pirate rush or not, but I think as the pirate ages in experience, so does his report? Anybody else notice this?


Doubt it.

1) The score curve in a new ocean tends to be brutal. This problem lessens over time.

2) Experience does tend to give you access to higher star levels which can change your scores. Trying to use 7 color bilging strategies on 5 color bilging boards may not work.
----------------------------------------
Vnork flag officer chats, "I don't know about anyone else, but I have starfish related emergencies all the time"
[Jul 6, 2009 3:33:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreenTail

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Posts: 784
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

I was getting learning and fine as well the first couple days. I also saw the same sort of performance sometimes be called fine and sometimes be called incredible, with no apparent rhyme or reason to it. I was starting to suspect server lag, actually. It's possible that if Crimson is on a virtual machine, the communications between it and us are variable. Anyway, it does seem to be getting a bit better now, but that may be because Crimson has taught me to make vegas in sails or don't bother (ugh).

I really like the idea of treating all shipboard puzzles like treasure haul for Crimson. It's true that the puzzles are inter-related, but there are real cut-off points. For example, if yer bilger is less than incredible, they will not be able to keep up with the bilge if yer damage is more than half. If the bilge is full, 1 bot or even up to 3 incredible sailors will still only generate 1 move every third turn.

It seems the spawns may be a bit screwy, too. I sailed a green route the other day with the family (hey! me crew and their kids counts as family!). With most of us getting green reports and only 1 mate who was doing really well, we spawned an imperial ship. I got 1 move every third turn once I put the bot on sails. The opponents were dancing around us. Even 2 losses in a row did not give us "easy" wins. Now, I'm perfectly ok with getting whooped by bots, and so far it seems the kids haven't figured out that it's much more fun to win ... but ye know, they will soon enough. Hopefully with some balance to the puzzles and the spawns it will be a bit less hopeless. Meanwhile, I'll be setting kid jokes on me hot keys to keep them smiling during the worst battles.
----------------------------------------
Guppygurl, Cobalt Ocean.
[Jul 6, 2009 3:53:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 23, 2004
Posts: 6123
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

I got a Mostly Harmless spawn today - first one since the ocean opened. I hit 2 red ships and lost first before I got that one though.

The spawns will make sense in a while, at the moment they don't. Day 1 had Sailors masquerading as Imperials.
----------------------------------------
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 6, 2009 4:01:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Posts: 3340
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

Just curious - has anyone foraged gold or gems (or even gotten the big chest in practice mode) yet? I am broad / legendary in foraging and I haven't seen one yet, though that means nothing, I'm just wondering if gem running was turned off by chance.

EDIT: Also, if wagering is turned off, is the skellie confirmation box ("I'll be taking 0 poe if ye lose") necessary? (Not sure if it is a bug, a oversight, or intentional.)
----------------------------------------
Pletoo of Sage
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Jul 6, 2009 6:00:48 PM]
[Jul 6, 2009 4:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 10, 2006
Posts: 1811
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
Just curious - has anyone foraged gold or gems (or even gotten the big chest in practice mode) yet? I am broad / legendary in foraging and I haven't seen one yet, though that means nothing, I'm just wondering if gem running was turned off by chance.

EDIT: Also, if wagering is turned off, is the skellie confirmation box ("I'll be taking 0 poe if ye lose") necessary? (Not sure if it is a bug, a oversight, or intentional.)


i have seen gold so i know you can get that

and im sure i heard from a OM that gem trading is turned off
----------------------------------------
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

 
Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Jul 6, 2009 8:08:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 19, 2007
Posts: 4050
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
EDIT: Also, if wagering is turned off, is the skellie confirmation box ("I'll be taking 0 poe if ye lose") necessary? (Not sure if it is a bug, a oversight, or intentional.)


I have questioned the need for a dialog box since the removal of wagered items. The box was only put in because you were potentially losing some kind of item and it gave an opportunity to see what it was. If everyone knows they are wagering 100 poe or 0 poe, there is absolutely no need for a dialog.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 6, 2009 8:13:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Posts: 3340
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

Ah so that explains it - with only gold that would make the frequency a lot less.

By the way the purple club names look very blue against the purple background (the one that indicates whose turn it is) in treasure haul um that would be treasure drop - threw me for a loop just now when I played the game against someone that seriously looked like their name was blue.

EDIT: Treasure haul / treasure drop - both are games I don't play often and have shiny coins :P sorry for the confusion. :)
----------------------------------------
Pletoo of Sage
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Jul 7, 2009 5:32:56 PM]
[Jul 6, 2009 8:14:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 4, 2003
Posts: 5756
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
 
Just curious - has anyone foraged gold or gems (or even gotten the big chest in practice mode) yet? I am broad / legendary in foraging and I haven't seen one yet, though that means nothing, I'm just wondering if gem running was turned off by chance.

EDIT: Also, if wagering is turned off, is the skellie confirmation box ("I'll be taking 0 poe if ye lose") necessary? (Not sure if it is a bug, a oversight, or intentional.)


i have seen gold so i know you can get that

and im sure i heard from a OM that gem trading is turned off


I'm going to guess gems aren't around because either there are no designated islands for gems to be sold at, or said islands don't have markets (which is required).
----------------------------------------
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 6, 2009 8:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitmit

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 16, 2005
Posts: 2259
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

What I want to know is how exactly do I create a nice new account for my niece to play on, I tried yesterday only to have the "Arr ye are not old enough to play" message.

I was hoping if I put her age under the requirement it would automatically restrict it to Crimson, which I mean seems sensible, if you tell the person they can't play they're most likely just going to make an account with a higher birth date. Instead we get them signed up but limited to Crimson, it might make it a lot easier to keep them regulated to the ocean instead of just avoiding the age limit.
----------------------------------------
Generic comment.
[Jul 6, 2009 10:10:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Member's Avatar


Joined: Feb 3, 2006
Posts: 4243
Status: Offline
Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

 
What I want to know is how exactly do I create a nice new account for my niece to play on, I tried yesterday only to have the "Arr ye are not old enough to play" message.

I was hoping if I put her age under the requirement it would automatically restrict it to Crimson, which I mean seems sensible, if you tell the person they can't play they're most likely just going to make an account with a higher birth date. Instead we get them signed up but limited to Crimson, it might make it a lot easier to keep them regulated to the ocean instead of just avoiding the age limit.


I had that problem too. Try making it fromhere.
----------------------------------------
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jul 6, 2009 10:50:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates