• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 245
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 71469 times and has 244 replies Next Thread
draco9

Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

I think this is a bug, but trying to log back in from the client causes the client to hang. After logging off of Crimson from the web applet launch, and then trying to log back in from the client, it just sits there.
----------------------------------------
Dracon, Captain of Revenge of Io on the Midnight Ocean
Queen of Deus ex Machina

[Jul 2, 2009 1:21:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.utdallas.edu/~tmh015200    senior_draco    talonsof10 [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Please include huggle as an approved word. It's a vital part of YPP language.

and shippy so i can do my shippy dance :o

also unblock as i found out it is painfully hard to write without it =/
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Jul 2, 2009 1:52:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Well, I've already booched things. I went to play on this new ocean using the link in Hermes' post above. Thinking it was a separate client, I created my Tonyanator character in the Java window that appears on the page. When I finished, it told me I already had the client downloaded. Took me a few moments to find the tiny "family oceans" button, but I finally clicked it and went to log on as Tonyanator from my tkp42 account. Unfortunately, the server told me that pirate had already been created!!! Zomg. What can I do to get my name back on Crimson?

On a side note, I'm also very surprised this isn't part of a separate client like Ice. The dub situation is going to be strange, and it will be too easy for lil' chil'ren to click over to Sage, for example, where they will be assaulted by all sorts of naughtiness.

/me wanders off as Kittywoo to test chat filters, etc.......

EDIT: The web page that allows you to join the Dub Club should have a big banner on the page where you actually click to buy the doubloons that you are, in fact, joining the Dub Club rather than just buying a package of doubloons.

I just booched again, and purchased 42 dubs on tkp4208, which will at least give my alts access to Ice, but my Eyedekay name is not purple on Crimson, nor did I succeed in joining the Dub Club and getting the kitty. DANG IT.

EDIT 2: Here's the screen I saw just before (stupidly) clicking the Paypal button to buy dubs:

This is reduced to 75%, but do you see the problem??? That little text link is way too friggin' small. I've used OOO's billing pages lots of times, and I made a mistake and bought the wrong thing. What about folks who are new to the site? They, like me, are going to be ticked off that they bought the wrong thing!

EDIT 3: The friggin' savvy hat is for sale on Crimson! Zomg.
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Edit 3 times, last edit by tkp42 at Jul 2, 2009 4:23:25 AM]
[Jul 2, 2009 2:04:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Discojack

Okay I have to agree with most of what has beens aid previous to my post.

The filter is complete overkill, I was hoping to see some sort of spelling corrector as well as the filter instead of simply blocking anything that is mispelt. Something like "Word auto-correct" which changes the word to the closest thing spelt similarly. The names I have to say I am sad that this issue was not forseen or if it was, have it fixed. No one is perfect even in OOO land I guess.

The whole issue with the ocean hoping seems almost suspicious. Making doubloons universal from Crimson to green oceans is just asking for Crimson resident children to go to the green oceans to use their doubloons to play whatever they can;t on Crimson like poker and wagering and rum... whatever they'll do with that. The family ocean button is fairly well hidden so in reference to that I am pleased but let's be serious here this will not be a well kept secret and is sure no safety barrier. I don't necessarly see the need for a different client although I would accept it as the settings are much different on Crimson then any other ocean so the player shouldn't excpect things like poker and atlantis and all that other stuff. I'm not sure if this is already in palce or not but during account creation at some point the player's age is required and anyone under thirteen is then sent to Crimson. This should (if it doesn;t already) create a lock to that "standard oceans" button so junior pirates simply cannot access the login page to over 13 oceans.

The dub club seems alright. I don;t use doubloons so I would not know the difference but I think the purple name is just a ploy to make people join. Something which prooved to be oh so effective with the /duty and pink greeter names. I really don;t see the point in it and it causes confusion with the whole "are you an OM?" people get for being part of the club. Subscribers don't get a psecial color name? why in the world would you need a tag saying what payment method you use? Since it doesn't affect the game in any other way then socially I guess it's not all that much of a bother but still.

Thidly, RUM! Okay I knew it would be tuned down but to remove it completely?! So distilling and distilling shops bite the dust as well? Come on you could have simply changed the damn name to "sugar cane soda" keeping the same art and puzzle and no one would ahve been the wiser. Distilling is not a taboo in itself as far as I'm concerned. Children don't know what distilling in real life does works and what it makes. Hell they might think distilling is how you make soda after seeing it in this game. I just think its a shame to have to kill an industry which thrives at the heart of this game and to significantly reduce the involvement of the distilling puzzle. Hemp oil is still produced but how profitable is that going to be to just sell and produce that. At least ditilling and distilleris aren't completely gone but they aren't far from it.

Card games would be nice. Without any wagering of course. I do understand some parents have a taboo about card games but I mean come on where do you cut the line? You have swrodfighting and rumbling. The idea behind thi sis to fight! but card games oh no that's just too far. Poker can go to hell that's fine but I would'nt burn the cards just yet. They are just good fun and it woudl be a learning experience for children to learn how to play something like hearts and spades, they are nice played in family >.> .

I understand the wish to remove player vs player hostility and removing war mechanics and stuff. CI and Atlantis though meh it's a little far fetched and removes an awful lot of game material but I guess all of these are necessary cut outs.

I am still curious to see what happens to blockading... If its still there at all.

Anywho I am eager to see what develops out of this ocean. Without poker and CI and atlantis this is like a flash from the past ocean should be interesting.
When God gives you lemons
Find a new God!

Viprince
[Jul 2, 2009 4:32:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Please include huggle as an approved word. It's a vital part of YPP language.

Wierd Strangers giving kids huggles? thats were i can see it being a problem.
Nunny
[Edit 1 times, last edit by nunny_45 at Jul 2, 2009 4:58:33 AM]
[Jul 2, 2009 4:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
legoking1235

Not sure I like the whole Auto Lock on all ships. That will make things very difficult.

Cephalopod greeter chats, "I think... I think I might cry"

Gaea says, "I'm in yer ship, makin typos in yer rename."

[Jul 2, 2009 4:55:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sylpell

With all that censoring, i'm wondering what will happen with foreing languages? Does that mean that i won't be able to communicate in french with other french speaking pirates?
Alloha, SO - Loyal Swordfish, Viridian
Nope... i'm not from Hawaii
[Jul 2, 2009 5:41:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Omnigears

They should just censor all the known swear words and allow a pirate's name to be typed once it has been made.
[Jul 2, 2009 6:16:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bacchante

complains about chat filter

#

About that 'real word' rule: /tell Bacchante works, /tell Bacchus doesnt... hm.....

With all that censoring, i'm wondering what will happen with foreing languages? Does that mean that i won't be able to communicate in french with other french speaking pirates?

Didnt try french but german - doesnt work...

@Rum: Strange thing. Rum's removed but NPCs are still talking about it ;). Learned Heath says, "Swill works, but the fine rum lasts longer."...
Itty-Bitty-Kitty-Pix
BamBam
Officially möpificated by Paddy: "die Königin des Spams die beste Piratin des Opals (die älteste :-p)"
[Jul 2, 2009 6:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Also - I sort of hope that trophies will not be turned on for awhile - I currently have ultimate swordfight and rumble after just playing (and winning) one game of each.

I'd like to see a stats purge before the ocean opens to the general public. It's meant for families, and to have the ult list so skewed to start out with will be quite a frustrating deterrent to many.

I don't think a purge is necessarily the answer because it would just create the same vacuum as a fresh ocean, but I do agree that the bar gets set pretty high and is hard to compete against and quickly becomes discouraging.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 2, 2009 6:51:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Can we at least PLEASE have some way of trading charts between officers soonish - before they all dust? I don't need multiple interarch charts but my fellow officers want them - and I have no way of giving them to them at the moment.

Why isn't trade working just out of curiosity?
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 2, 2009 7:18:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

Can we at least PLEASE have some way of trading charts between officers soonish - before they all dust? I don't need multiple interarch charts but my fellow officers want them - and I have no way of giving them to them at the moment.

Can you not leave them on a navigation table and let officers take them from there, just as a short term fix?
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Jul 2, 2009 7:33:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Can you not leave them on a navigation table and let officers take them from there, just as a short term fix?

No, all ships seem to be on perma-lock down.

Also,
It's funny that "screw you" is filtered, but "go screw yourself" is not.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Jul 2, 2009 7:43:07 AM]
[Jul 2, 2009 7:41:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

No, all ships seem to be on perma-lock down.

Also,
It's funny that "screw you" is filtered, but "go screw yourself" is not.

Ouch! Sounds like the bug reports from this ocean will be burying Ceph and Co for a little while.
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Jul 2, 2009 7:45:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Schiann

I would like to see the Rum mechanic retained, but with family-friendly names like Root Beer, Sarsaparilla, or even different Juices.

I'd also like to add my support for card games. I'm all for eliminating wagers so as not to promote gambling and to prevent kids being taken advantage of, but as a parent, I don't find the games themselves inappropriate.

Add mine as another "vote" for a separate client, as well.
[Jul 2, 2009 7:53:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

For those asking that the dictionary be exclusionary (these are the words you can't say) instead of inclusionary (these are the words you can say), remember that the point of an inclusionary dictionary is to make it more difficult for predators to groom kids and get their personal information.

Yes, it will be difficult for someone with a reading-based learning difference or disability, but the chat does highlight what is misspelled, so they can try again. That may be frustrating, especially at first, but remember this ocean is subject to COPPA .

I'm sure if this is successful, we'll see additional language support in some fashion, either by addition to the dictionary or by addition of servers.

I've already set my son up with a wee pirate all his own, and he is very excited to get to play and talk to people. He's played some of the puzzles from my lap on an alt I set aside for him (alchemistry is his favorite puzzle), but he didn't like that he wasn't allowed to talk to other pirates or go anywhere but his shack, the shops, and the mission board.

Edit for acronym fail.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by taelac at Jul 2, 2009 8:13:26 AM]
[Jul 2, 2009 8:10:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bacchante

I've already set my son up with a wee pirate all his own, and he is very excited to get to play and talk to people. He's played some of the puzzles from my lap on an alt I set aside for him (alchemistry is his favorite puzzle), but he didn't like that he wasn't allowed to talk to other pirates or go anywhere but his shack, the shops, and the mission board.

So hopefully for your son you don't mind him playing with all those 'Killers' and 'Slayers' and 'Hotgirls' on Crimson.... ;) (you could even name your pirate '(bad word for women comparing them to female dogs)' or worse....if there is....).

This filter is ridiculous atm. Hope to see it reworked soon...
Itty-Bitty-Kitty-Pix
BamBam
Officially möpificated by Paddy: "die Königin des Spams die beste Piratin des Opals (die älteste :-p)"
[Jul 2, 2009 8:40:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

The naming filter is booched, too. So far, I've seen Hell, Hellyeah, and Thisoceansux. Srsly (which is also not allowed).
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Jul 2, 2009 8:44:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Chances are good that while the name issue is being worked on, /complain is going to require a work around. So, if you see an inappropriate name in the meantime, go to Ye -- Help -- Complain and see if it will let you enter the offensive name there. Fill in the rest with "Inappropriate pirate name." Perhaps someone can test that and not actually send the complaint (unless there's a reason to send one), then post back here whether that avenue is open.

They're still working on it -- this ocean is in beta. Sometimes, a new thing has to have contact with users before you can find out where it needs work. The developers can better use constructive criticism than sarcasm and pronouncements of "ridiculous".
~Taelac
Dead Thread
[Jul 2, 2009 8:52:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oceansadness

/Agrees with Taelac on being constructive. I am going to worry a lot on the spelling issues with my niece, who, despite learning English for several years, would have serious difficulties to spell perfectly enough (we are Spanish). Implementing some kind of spell-check that can go hand-in-hand with this COPPA thing would be amazing. Helping out finding the problem, giving suggestions, etc, is great. Just whining and criticising will be frustrating for all and lead us all nowhere.

I am sure all the OMs and developers are doing their very best. We are helping edit a draft, and it gives us the chance to share the game we luv with those little ones we love. Let's find it exciting and motivating and help out as much as we can!
Sedna in Sage. Sedna/Seawaterdrop in Emerald

If it floats, shoot at it!
[Jul 2, 2009 9:04:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bacchante

They're still working on it -- this ocean is in beta.

That's why I wrote I hope to see it reworked soon.

Bug-reports work 'as normal', they arent affected by the filter rules. But complains are. Guess how I spotted that....

Offtopic:

Sometimes, a new thing has to have contact with users before you can find out where it needs work. The developers can better use constructive criticism than sarcasm and pronouncements of "ridiculous".

That's a feedback thread, isn't it? Most feedbacks contain personal opinions. Mine is, as I said, that the current filter system is ridiculous as it works by now. That doesn't mean I'm not aware it's beta. Also I read the thread before posting and didn't find that point (names not being affected by the filter while creating) but the other way around (names BEING affected - by chat filter oc). So I thought that worth mentioning... T'wasn't my intention to displeasure you or anyone else feeling uneasy with my choice of words :).
Itty-Bitty-Kitty-Pix
BamBam
[Jul 2, 2009 9:29:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
impakta

I made a thread about this in game design but I think this is the place I should have posted it in to discuss with those who are most concerned.

I propose that tutorials, missions and etc should be written in a manner that younger players can understand.

And also, would it be asking too much if there was a way that parents could remove the chat option for their kids? I know its a social game and much of it requires interaction but I'm not so sure I want my nephew to be chatting with strangers just yet. Yes there are chat filters but there will be ways that it can be bypassed

There have been some feedback already about it on the thread here.

There was a suggestion for pre-existing phrases, I've seen it on other children's games and I think it would work; To allow interaction but limit it as well. Plus I see it as little less work for the OMs :P
forum lurkar
Viridian
Semi-Retired
[Jul 2, 2009 10:29:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

They're still working on it -- this ocean is in beta.

That's why I wrote I hope to see it reworked soon.

Bug-reports work 'as normal', they arent affected by the filter rules. But complains are. Guess how I spotted that....

Filtered words show as red in the petitions, but petitions can still be sent in anyways.
Jolyma

[Jul 2, 2009 10:46:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

They're still working on it -- this ocean is in beta. Sometimes, a new thing has to have contact with users before you can find out where it needs work. The developers can better use constructive criticism than sarcasm and pronouncements of "ridiculous".

This. The Family architecture is indeed in beta, folks, so we're definitely plugging away at the filter and pirate name issues that are cropping up. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to report any problems or omissions they have come across!

Speaking of beta, to quickly run down some of the stuff brought up in the thread so far...
  • Pirate names are indeed being added to the whitelist as they are chosen, but it would appear that functionality is not operating at 100% at the moment. :)
  • The inability to use certain commands is an unintended consequence of the whitelist, and one we'll fix.
  • Trading should be enabled on Family oceans, but also appears to be broken at the moment. That will also be corrected.
Some more responses...

Being a selection that branches off of a regular account, what is there to prevent a child under the age of 13 from clicking over to the non-family accounts and logging on to one of the current oceans?

There's been a few posts to this effect now... This is something we definitely considered during Crimson's development. Thus, new players who come to a Family server through appropriate Family channels (such as the puzzlepiratesfamily.com website) are indeed restricted to playing only on Family oceans. In addition to this, our support staff not only has the ability to restrict pre-existing accounts to Family oceans-only as appropriate, but also to restrict specific accounts from accessing Family servers at all; that is, essentially 'ban' an account from just the Family oceans, 'exiling' them to the standard oceans if they are unable to behave appropriately in an all ages environment. So... yes, we've certainly taken steps here to ensure that young players can't flippantly wander over to the standard oceans and that their experience on a Family server is safe and fun. :)

This is something we take pretty seriously, and will be refining our policies in this area in the coming days, hopefully with your input as parents! At the end of the day, however, the bottom line is that we've set out to make the Family servers a place that is appropriate for Puzzle Pirates players of all ages, and we intend to take every step necessary to ensure that is the case.

Finally...

EDIT 3: The friggin' savvy hat is for sale on Crimson! omg.

Great googly moogly! Completely unintentional. We've shut those off now, and thankfully, it looks like no one actually ordered one. :P

Alrighty! I'll be watching over this thread in the coming days, mates, so keep the constructive feedback coming!
[Jul 2, 2009 11:36:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
RayvynRoze

I haven't done much testing with chat because everything I type turns red, so I have nothing to say about that other than I'm sure everyone at OOO is working on it. And to people wigging out about distilling, hemp oil can be produced in distilleries, so the puzzle isn't gone. I think adding some sort of beverage for pillages, akin to rum, but non alcoholic would be cute, but it's not necessary for distilling.
Alethia on Midnight
Senior Officer
Tyr's Own

"One might say that there are occasions in which barrelstoppery is best combatted with bigger and better barrelstoppery."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RayvynRoze at Jul 2, 2009 11:45:50 AM]
[Jul 2, 2009 11:45:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Another thought I had concerning making the family server a separate client like Ice...
On Windows, I have two user accounts set up - one for me as the admin and one for my nephews and nieces to use when they are visiting. On their desktop I have placed icons to the games and programs that they are allowed to play. It would be incredibly handy if I could place a Crimson Ocean icon there as well.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 2, 2009 11:46:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

I prefer having Crimson accessible through the same client, personally. It means I don't have to download something else on a machine with a dearth of memory, and I can change oceans on my account without having to switch clients (that slows my machine down and often leads to necessary reboots).

Perhaps for your nieces and nephews, you could log into Crimson on their login first, setting it as the default ocean for when they use it? Also Hermes mentioned that they already have a way to limit family ocean accounts to just the family oceans.
~Taelac
Dead Thread
[Jul 2, 2009 12:01:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

I prefer having Crimson accessible through the same client, personally. It means I don't have to download something else on a machine with a dearth of memory, and I can change oceans on my account without having to switch clients (that slows my machine down and often leads to necessary reboots).

Perhaps for your nieces and nephews, you could log into Crimson on their login first, setting it as the default ocean for when they use it? Also Hermes mentioned that they already have a way to limit family ocean accounts to just the family oceans.

This might be accomplished by having the ability to direct a shortcut to a specific ocean. On windows this would be accomplished by adding -Crimson or -Family (for example) to the end of the Target field, and would then restrict access to only that ocean (or type of ocean).

I'm not sure how this would be accomplished on Linux of MacOSX, but I'm sure there's a way.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Jul 2, 2009 2:06:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

Another thought I had concerning making the family server a separate client like Ice...
On Windows, I have two user accounts set up - one for me as the admin and one for my nephews and nieces to use when they are visiting. On their desktop I have placed icons to the games and programs that they are allowed to play. It would be incredibly handy if I could place a Crimson Ocean icon there as well.

I like this idea! A different client with a different icon would smooth over some of my worries about letting my son play.

Another note I saw was that someone was annoyed that the dubs transferred from the main oceans to Crimson... I must admit I'm a bit annoyed by this too. Kids have difficulty understanding the consequences of using all the available features; last night, for example, my son accepted the free Jade/Crimson Release gift & trophy on Crimson because it was a pretty shiny button to push... (I was very annoyed by this,) but in his mind he was doing nothing wrong.

A separate client that the main account could transfer dubs to would be ideal I think. Is there some sort of way we could make a separate control for how many dubs are available on Crimson vs. the main oceans?
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jul 2, 2009 2:22:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
argyletarran

My son has requested that card games be allowed on Crimson.
Wouldn't it be cute to have Go Fish? hehe
Argyle,
casual pirate
[Jul 2, 2009 2:30:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates