• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 245
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 72702 times and has 244 replies Next Thread
Winklecat

Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

After playing on Crimson for 2 months with my kids, age 7 and just turned 12, I'd like to offer a few comments. I play mainly on Sage, and set up accounts on Crimson so my kids could try it out.

The attention span of an average 7 year old does not lend itself even to pillaging. Boredom sets in after about 2 duty reports. Loves sword fighting and rumble, won the very first treasure drop game, much to my surprise (I've never won one!) and loved trying to get the August trophy. So if you are aiming at this really young player, short games, lots of shinies, are the attractions. The regular 1000 poe/flower trinket tournaments are a great idea; please don't end those! Adding another type of trinket to win (seashells, perhaps?) might help generate more interest in them.

For the 12 year old, pillages are fun. I'm trying to explain etiquette. Not sure how to encourage this very necessary step generally. We did not try the pillage with a crew mission, because I bought a sloop from the palace to do pillages on. Perhaps have basic etiquette explained there as popups in a tutorial before you begin?
I rarely get to start a pillage with a full sloop and explaining basic stuff in the middle of a battle is a bad idea. Trophies that encourage becoming good at several puzzles might be a good idea. Once the 12 year old got really good at rigging, stopped doing most other duty puzzles. I've explained you need to be able to switch stations to run your own pillage but so far that leg. rigging status is way too enjoyable!

They are not interested so far in the economy as a whole, or in moving up the ranks in a crew. Less interested in the clothes available than I expected. Saving doubloons for a golden sheep (please don't end that particular special offer too soon!) though a tiger may be an acceptable compromise, especially if you bring back the white one. More pets to buy are a good way to keep that age group buying doubloons.

They understands the "takes too much time" rationale behind no smh or blockade, think the "monsters are too scary" rationale is just plain silly. Here I should perhaps explain that my kids' favourite movie series is Lord of the Rings, which we watch together at least once a year. So perhaps not a completely typical example. Still, compared with Harry Potter, A series of Unfortunate Events, Twilight and other scary kids books and movies out there, the monsters on YPP are pretty benign and some might say archelons are rather cute.
If there could be a short version of blockading, smh or ci, both would love it. Maybe as an expedition? Adding the occasional shiny to chests on expeditions would be a way to get kids interested in clothes, swords and bludgeons, not to mention the furniture to store them in.

From my perspective, I will be happier once there are more pirates playing and the economy is on a better footing. It is frustrating to not find a single crafting puzzle that can pay a few poe. I do enjoy the relative lack of attitude and the higher politeness factor, and also meeting pirates from other oceans. The lack of poker is a great boon generally, though there are other parlour games you might think about. Mancala anyone? I greatly enjoy running pillages with my kids on board.

Sorry for the long post; thought it better to save up my comments and do it all at once. Crimson is a great idea, and a very good way to introduce people to the game. Thank you for creating an ocean where I feel comfortable having my young kids play, and enjoy it myself.

Winklecat on Sage and Crimson
----------------------------------------
Winklecat
SO of The Bootleggers on Emerald
Royal and occasional monarch of The End
[Aug 29, 2009 9:29:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

After playing on Crimson for 2 months with my kids, age 7 and just turned 12, I'd like to offer a few comments. I play mainly on Sage, and set up accounts on Crimson so my kids could try it out.

The attention span of an average 7 year old does not lend itself even to pillaging. Boredom sets in after about 2 duty reports. Loves sword fighting and rumble, won the very first treasure drop game, much to my surprise (I've never won one!) and loved trying to get the August trophy. So if you are aiming at this really young player, short games, lots of shinies, are the attractions. The regular 1000 poe/flower trinket tournaments are a great idea; please don't end those! Adding another type of trinket to win (seashells, perhaps?) might help generate more interest in them.

For the 12 year old, pillages are fun. I'm trying to explain etiquette. Not sure how to encourage this very necessary step generally. We did not try the pillage with a crew mission, because I bought a sloop from the palace to do pillages on. Perhaps have basic etiquette explained there as popups in a tutorial before you begin?
I rarely get to start a pillage with a full sloop and explaining basic stuff in the middle of a battle is a bad idea. Trophies that encourage becoming good at several puzzles might be a good idea. Once the 12 year old got really good at rigging, stopped doing most other duty puzzles. I've explained you need to be able to switch stations to run your own pillage but so far that leg. rigging status is way too enjoyable!

They are not interested so far in the economy as a whole, or in moving up the ranks in a crew. Less interested in the clothes available than I expected. Saving doubloons for a golden sheep (please don't end that particular special offer too soon!) though a tiger may be an acceptable compromise, especially if you bring back the white one. More pets to buy are a good way to keep that age group buying doubloons.

They understands the "takes too much time" rationale behind no smh or blockade, think the "monsters are too scary" rationale is just plain silly. Here I should perhaps explain that my kids' favourite movie series is Lord of the Rings, which we watch together at least once a year. So perhaps not a completely typical example. Still, compared with Harry Potter, A series of Unfortunate Events, Twilight and other scary kids books and movies out there, the monsters on YPP are pretty benign and some might say archelons are rather cute.
If there could be a short version of blockading, smh or ci, both would love it. Maybe as an expedition? Adding the occasional shiny to chests on expeditions would be a way to get kids interested in clothes, swords and bludgeons, not to mention the furniture to store them in.

From my perspective, I will be happier once there are more pirates playing and the economy is on a better footing. It is frustrating to not find a single crafting puzzle that can pay a few poe. I do enjoy the relative lack of attitude and the higher politeness factor, and also meeting pirates from other oceans. The lack of poker is a great boon generally, though there are other parlour games you might think about. Mancala anyone? I greatly enjoy running pillages with my kids on board.

Sorry for the long post; thought it better to save up my comments and do it all at once. Crimson is a great idea, and a very good way to introduce people to the game. Thank you for creating an ocean where I feel comfortable having my young kids play, and enjoy it myself.

Winklecat on Sage and Crimson

Yeah it's a very good idea to introduce kids at this age on crimson and only in this ocean!

I want to pilly too on crimson but not enough people to fill a ship (the majority of the time)
Emerald
Cerulean
[Sep 15, 2009 7:44:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Macmee9

Some feedback from a Swedish mum

I have played on all dub oceans for more then a year (mostly Mala) and are more or less adicted to this game. Have also got me alooot of freinds and even intruduced som RL freinds to this game.

My kid is 10 and she has been by my side from the very first day and we 2 realy enjoy that there now is an ocean there she can play legal (and yes - the OMs and I had some talkes about the illegal parts - lol)

As a mum I see that my kid get alot of skills from PP that is good for her school performance;
* correct english (when she was on the other oceans I constantly had to explain what the correct words and spellings should be - and as you all can see Im not that good in english ;)
* to aim for a goal. She has now started a crew and has got ALL the neceserry skills by her self - next goal she set is to have a vessel for each pirate in crew and to paint the vessels
* a looooot of training in practical maths. All the way from simple + - to the more complex in diffrent currency (poe/dubs)
* international knowledge from the social talk with other pirates. All the way from basic geography to knowledge about diffrent timezones, schoolsystems, food habits. (but this skills she basicly gets from the friends we have on other oceans - due to the redmarking policy)

But most importent is that she get to know her own skills - so she can be proud of the person she is. And she can see that together with other ppl (with other skills) you can make realy great things.

But personally I HATE the red words on Crim - but LOVE the silence (my brain sometimes get steamy hot by all the simultanious talk on the other oceans)
Macmee
a Rebel Sister
[Sep 17, 2009 12:03:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

That's why the red chat filter is there .... to learn english to kids on crimson !

Not much crews in crimson and want to find a good crew ..... but it's difficult to see someone that is online in crimson ocean in crews.

Have badge but didn't found a sloop.....
Emerald
Cerulean
[Sep 17, 2009 5:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

That's why the red chat filter is there .... to learn english to kids on crimson !

Not much crews in crimson and want to find a good crew ..... but it's difficult to see someone that is online in crimson ocean in crews.

Have badge but didn't found a sloop.....

Too bad grammar and style don't get fixed...
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Sep 19, 2009 6:07:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
planetllou

It will be interesting to see how this ocean develops, I started Puzzle pirates when I was 11, I am now 14, It would have been nice to have started on this ocean, but perhaps starting on a proper one was better, I learnt things for myself and by my mistakes, I had guidance from older players, and through sharing MSN I have made the best Online Friend you could wish for :P. However my parents let me have a free reign on my computer, partly they didnt care, they trusted me and they dont understand it, but I realise some parents may want to safeguard their children more. I just thought I might put my opinion on all this.
Musclepunch,
Scowling on hunter,
Frowning on sage,
Trying to get past the ch*at f i *lter o..n c@rimmson.

Depressed noob, suckish stats but a weavery shop and some WFs :D
[Sep 25, 2009 9:37:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tusnelda22

I think there is another potential target audience:

The mature and experienced pillaging and training players that got burned on other oceans by their vicious politics once the crews they built became part of the political landscape. During my 4-week trial of Crimson I found a large number of such players from both subscriber and doubloon oceans.

Some of these players have kids and even grand-kids. The absence of poker, politics, island-ownership, blockades, and large-ship operations like Atlantis are attractions to this segment. They may be ready to jump and lead the informal pillages where people come and go after one or two battles ... as this is age appropriate behavior here.

What these players need, however, is that ships can be unlocked and used by other crew members that, perhaps as a compromise, could be listed on the vessel as "managers" much along the lines of how stalls are run, but applied to ships.

It may actually bring a number of older players that have left Y!PP for the apolitical side of WOW back to Y!PP.
Tusnelda, Cobalt
Monthly forum quota filled Jan.-7, 2010
Forum mute is yer friend :-)
[Oct 6, 2009 6:17:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Macmee9

Yeeees - realy needed to be able to "unlock" vessels...

My kid and I have had this discussion lately (and I promised her to do a post about it). We would like that at least the Captain of a Crew was able to handle crew vessels in a simulair way as "unlocked".

Love u all
Macmee
a Rebel Sister
[Oct 11, 2009 9:22:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mystrelia

My son plays on Crimson way more than I do, but after playing with him for a little bit I have one suggestion which may or may not be a good one. I don't know, but I'll throw it out there.

I was thinking this would be a great way to help him learn to better manage money. He's a sharp kid, but that isn't one of his strong points. LOL So, he gets his pirate all set up on Crimson, and he spent three months' worth of his allowance to get three months worth of the Golden Doubloon Club. We don't have a lot of money, so he doesn't get a lot of allowance. Sooo, he gets all his doubloons then he sets about earning money because suddenly he wants his own ship. That's okay with me. A ship is a good teacher too. So, he spends almost all his doubloons on a ship, just in time for the fun Halloween stuff to come out. He decides he needs all of this stuff on his ship.

Okay, I think it might be a really good idea for me to say right here that I am not one of those parents who want my kids to have everything, because that just does them more harm than good. They need to learn to work for things, and not expect everything to be handed to them.

Now, back to what I was saying. So here he is, eleven years old, and has managed between the Golden Doubloon Club, pillages, and jobs with his labor badge to get himself enough doubloons and money for a ship AND skeleton cannons. This really isn't bad at all for an eleven-year-old. But now comes the problem. He still wants to buy a figurehead, which costs somewhere around 10,000 PoE and 30 doubloons and has only two weeks until the end of October. He has five doubloons plus 7,000 PoE I gave him last night. He doesn't have a single real dollar to his name to spend on more doubloons. And if he wants to buy doubloons from the exchange, they are roughly 2,500 PoE each, which puts the figurehead completely out of reach for him. Needless to say he's pretty disappointed that he probably won't be able to get that figurehead.

I can't help but wonder after this experience if one thing that might help with the young ones on Crimson is for prices to be a lot lower than on the regular oceans. As adults, we usually have more resources at our disposal, and a longer attention span. While I don't want to encourage instant gratification, I think putting some of these things in easier reach for them would be a good move.
[Oct 17, 2009 5:30:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

What I would do is sit down with him and explain the difference between investing and spending.

A ship is a great asset to have, because it makes you more money when you use. It puts money into your pocket. It also holds its value well, unlike a car in RL, ships rarely depreciate in value.

By contrast, that skeletal bling he's putting on the ship is mere decoration. It doesn't augment the ship's stats or its money-making abilities. By the time you place it down you've lost money on its resale value - you can't remove it from the ship, and buyers typically won't pay full price for enhancements like that.

Then you can take this and explain it in real life terms, such as buying a computer vs. buying a lot of MP3s from iTunes.

I can tell you that Puzzle Pirates has helped me manage my RL finances, at least by putting a mirror to my spending practices. It helps that you can't go into debt here, and upkeep (food, shelter, clothing) is unnecessary.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Oct 17, 2009 5:46:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Mystrelia

LOL! I know you're right. I had a point, which I usually do, but then go through three pages of rambling and sometimes just fail to get to it.

Oh yes, he is learning that some things are better to spend money on than others. At the same time, it doesn't make sense in a game like this to pay more for a silly figurehead than you would for a ship.

He has watched my daughter and me play for a long time, so he had an idea of what to do when he started. I helped him with things like getting his labor badge and finding jobs that would be the best pay-back for his badge. Last night I took a look at the price of doubloons and advised him not to buy another labor badge when his current one expires, because he'll never make back the amount of PoE the badge costs if he is buying doubloons off the exchange to pay for the badge.

Oh yes, these kind of games can be great money teachers. I didn't start out that way but I have been pretty decent at money management for many years now. We don't have a lot, but we aren't in debt, either. I'd rather have fewer things than pay bills.

As for his ship, he will no doubt keep that for as long as he plays on Crimson. He is having so much fun fixing it all up I can't imagine him ever wanting to part with it. Then again, kids are full of surprises.
[Oct 17, 2009 6:16:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

He can just pay the order and then deliver 40 days later latest. This should give him time to make the required extra money. Problem with that is that you need to plan in advance on what you want to buy and might miss a delivery and get the item sniped by the shop owner.
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Oct 19, 2009 5:11:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zeplin411

If he can get the other 3,000 poe just to order the figure head he can deliver it later. After an item is finished you have 40 days till it becomes abondoned. Even then if the manager of the stall does not deilver it you Son still can.

Think of it as a payment plan on the stuff he really wants and a great way to buy some more time to get the needed dubs.
Miget
Captain of Sealords Armada
Queen of Imperial Rednecks

Castor tells ye, "Ahoy mate. Did ye want the name "Awesome"? (That will run ye 12 shanghais)
A drunk moment with a flaggie saying "awesome"
[Oct 19, 2009 7:18:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mystrelia

Oh good grief, why didn't I think of that? Oh, never mind, I know the answer to that! It's because I always make sure if I order anything that takes doubloons, that I have the doubloons on hand before I order it, so I had completely forgotten there was a 40-day grace period for picking the item up once it was ready. Duh! And thank you!
[Oct 20, 2009 12:40:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talwarr

My response?
Economy there is worse than all the other oceans.

I'm actually VERY glad there's now a 13- ocean though..

Population there is also a concern.
You're lucky if you find a crew jobbing.

I'm thinking about creating a crew, for there is only 1 Illustrious and 2 Eminent.
I'm trying to decide between Crimson and Malachite, for they are both open to new possibilities with crews.
[Dec 7, 2009 6:23:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lord_oll

Chat filter problem words: European, London, England
Crimson Sloop Races!

Okaw on Hunter and Crimson
Darkollie on Cobalt
Okaw or Darkollie on the other oceans when I occasionally visit.
[Jan 31, 2010 12:53:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

My feedback is that it's a bad idea to allow me to use this ocean.

I'm just launching a pre-emptive strike.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Feb 5, 2010 1:40:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
BohemianYoHo

I normally play subscribed on Midnight, but have just popped over to Crimson to set up my son (9) there. So some early thoughts.

First, everyone's poor, there's no stuff around, there's a massive shortage of ships and as a result you find navy ships full of people working. That's not how it should be, surely? Lots of people wear rags or navy clothes. We need to find some way to make it easier for people to get started.

Second, as a mum with a subscription, I'm not inclined personally to shell out more for doubloons. My kids might choose to (they have a little money and can choose what to spend it on), but I'm a tad frustrated that despite being a long term PP subscriber, I can't do anything on Crimson without either spending more actual cash money or earning PoE at levels which are very difficult given that there are rarely any profitable pillages running. It would be nice if there was a way to allow established pirates on other oceans to import, eg, one ship and one decent suit of clothes; or to lower doubloon prices for the things that you really need to have more of on Crimson.

Third, I can understand cutting out actual gambling, but my daughter's favourite PP game is drinking. She doesn't *actually* think it's a drinking game you know. She's 13 so is off playing on Viridian where she can play drinking. Meanwhile, drinking's banned but distilling's allowed? What's with that? (NB, please do not block distilling!). Perhaps the solution here is to rename drinking in some more abstract way on Crimson.

Fourth, having said all that, Crimson has a lovely atmosphere in lots of ways; it really feels undeveloped in a way that's exciting and full of possibilities.
[Feb 15, 2010 8:14:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lord_oll

The problem as i see it is the price of doubloons.

You can afford the basic poe, but not the doubs, currently, for a sloop, we're having to fork out 70-80k, which is a bit steep.
Crimson Sloop Races!

Okaw on Hunter and Crimson
Darkollie on Cobalt
Okaw or Darkollie on the other oceans when I occasionally visit.
[Feb 15, 2010 10:49:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

The problem as i see it is the price of doubloons.

You can afford the basic poe, but not the doubs, currently, for a sloop, we're having to fork out 70-80k, which is a bit steep.

I highly recommend buying a cheap doub package for any child's accounts (to preserve the account).

I also recommend dhows instead of sloops. They are much easier to pillage on and have an optimal crew range of 2-12, as opposed to the 5-7 optimal crew range of sloops.

Yes, I know sloops are cheaper. I've been lobbying over in GD to raise the swabby cutoff on them to 5 so that they can be sailed reasonably with 2-4 pirates, but don't hold your breath for that to happen.
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Feb 16, 2010 7:42:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ladybuge

~I've played on crimson with my son, he enjoys it being nice and peaceful, he still wants to see more people on line so he can pillage better but; i told him the ocean is small. (he is 8) and i well not let him get on to another ocean so he can learn the bad language or ideas of other pirates. Not saying all pirates on this game are bad but there are some!

~I'm a sage player and my son of course is a crimson player, so we play different oceans, but we still talk at the dinner table about; what hes going to spending his PoE or Dubloons on he wanted a stall, so i let him get an apothecary stall, he has a good friend helping him with stock and such, i hope the stall does grow with sales, Crimson lacks so much, not just Flotillas&Blockades...Etc... Players and the Eco is what REALLY affects what happens each day, i sold dubs to players @ 2,000 each and the players were happy that they didn't have to purchase some for 3,000+. Players there seems to not be a lot of players on line i don't know if maybe there time zone is different, but.. i wish i could see maybe 200 on line one day, theres been 30 at one time, which was WOW! It's like Ice ocean lol only 12 or less on line a day.

~He wants me to join crimson with him; i feel bad that i say i well when theres a better stable economy and player base, He looks at me, im like im sorry : (

Sage well be my home, til crimson gains better stable game place, til then i well not add much PoE and Dubloons on the game cause there, could be a game wipe if a bug or something. it's like ice u gotta be careful when leaving PoE around! If anyone, thinks i should join crimson let me know PM! :D & Reasons why lol

Ty for being around puzzle pirates for so long! Hope to be with you til my pirate life passes! lol :D
~Økamix~ Sage Ocean

Magoros is not weak
Magoros will kick your butt
Okamix says, "I have fez power"
Magoros says, "stupid fez"
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Ladybuge at Apr 3, 2010 10:23:59 AM]
[Apr 3, 2010 10:17:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Aliyah

Wow! I have two children that play on Crimson (12 and 8). I personally prefer Cobalt, and my 12 yr-old will join me there in a week (he's counting days). However, when my children are on Crimson playing, that is where I am. I couldn't even imagine playing on Cobalt while there were on the other ocean. I have a very understanding crew on Cobalt that supports my parenting decision. I do sometimes play on Crimson on the side alone for personal goals (memming for example) but usually it is a family experience. I hope you join us just for fun even though it is a small ocean.
~Thank yer lucky stars Lily isn't bnavving!
[Apr 3, 2010 2:20:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ladybuge

It sound's like ye have a good time playing with ye family! = D I do also!

Do ye happen to know what the golden dubloon club is? my son wants to join it? im like i guess.. lol. I've never heard of it.. i let him join it tho, he got some dubs a hat and a purple name lol i was like cool : ) I told him just grab dubs off my 300 dub pile he said i needed it xD Im like... alright, i guess.

I love crimson i wish tho they would update it with new things for the kids, like a new ship that can be made by the stalls. Were planning on getting another stall, so we hope to see players purchasing from us! Also! I head wages were low on crimson? Well our apothecary on Sake is 11/16/21 :D

We hope to see crimson get bigger also! :D We would love it!

Sincerely,
The Pirate Family lol.
~Økamix~ Sage Ocean

Magoros is not weak
Magoros will kick your butt
Okamix says, "I have fez power"
Magoros says, "stupid fez"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ladybuge at Apr 3, 2010 5:19:47 PM]
[Apr 3, 2010 5:17:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UJP

Yeeees - realy needed to be able to "unlock" vessels...

My kid and I have had this discussion lately (and I promised her to do a post about it). We would like that at least the Captain of a Crew was able to handle crew vessels in a simulair way as "unlocked".

Love u all

Agree this should apply to all oceans for the cases when a crew member is DC, AFK . This ensures another officer in crew can see vessel to port & pay out jobbers(reduces abandoned at sea)

Throwing another idea in here
When crew member is AWOL for a long period say over 3 months, who knows why, but pirates unexpectedly vanish. See list of dormant pirates in crew lists. Possibly crews could use the vessel for non-sinking voyages.
The Prettiest Ole Salt on the Ocean
Luvverly / Kowhai / Liljake
**Known by this and other names on various oceans**
[Edit 1 times, last edit by UJP at Apr 4, 2010 12:24:07 PM]
[Apr 4, 2010 12:17:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aphey

I play this game with my son. and since he is in crimson, i join him there. Its better if i play there so i can help him out.

Pillage, forage and working for the navy is the source of all poe? am i right. in my time in crimson, i've only been to 2 pillages with only 4 of us trying to make it work. so pillage money is very limited. forage is ok but still limited and its very hard to transport the goods and the working in the navy gives cheap pay.

main problem is number of people.

these are my suggestions.

allow islands to buy lime. :)

increase the pay of the navy.

half the start up cost, half the rent of stalls, half the merchant's prices... to encourage businesses and give it a chance to not go bankrupt. until such time when there are more players who can patronize the shops as well as earn poe for spending... this might also encourage business minded people to join and help the ocean grow. :)

it would be nice if there is a trading post... so we can get rid of our trinkets

it would also be nice if there is a black market with increased chance to get the good stuff. the rogue ships are too beautiful to be unavailable in crimson.

please don't deprive crimson too much of the good stuff :)

thanks and i hope for favorable action... :)

ps.
have you thought of designing imperial ships, barbarian ships, and merchant ships and making them available for building? those would be cool too!
Aphey in Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aphey at Apr 4, 2010 5:59:37 PM]
[Apr 4, 2010 4:54:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Aliyah

[quote]

Do ye happen to know what the golden dubloon club is? my son wants to join it? im like i guess.. lol. I've never heard of it.. i let him join it tho, he got some dubs a hat and a purple name lol i was like cool : ) I told him just grab dubs off my 300 dub pile he said i needed it xD Im like... alright, i guess.

quote]

Aye. Here's the direct link from the Yppedia about the GDC. http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Gdc

My kids and I are all signed up for it. Basically it's 20 dubs and a special monthly treat as well as the pretty purple name. We've found the dubs cover officer's badge, labor badge, and parlor badge with a few leftover. That gives them a chance to cover basics without stressing during the schoolyear to save and buy for dubs and have some for buying what they want. If it's a busy busy month at school, they not had to buy the officer's badge and gotten to "save" dubs. They work and pillage for any other needed dubs and poe.
~Thank yer lucky stars Lily isn't bnavving!
[Apr 5, 2010 12:31:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Ladybuge says:

Sage well be my home, til crimson gains better stable game place, til then i well not add much PoE and Dubloons on the game cause there, could be a game wipe if a bug or something. it's like ice u gotta be careful when leaving PoE around!

Did you know that , if you make a pirate on the same account as you use for Sage by clicking the 'Change Oceans" button and then click Family Ocean.. all the dubs you have on that client will show up and be usable on Crimson too.

This goes for any dub Ocean.. Same client... different dub ocean...same dub count. You can purchase dubs on any dub ocean that you have gme poe on ..on that client..and they will show up on any other dub ocean.. on that client..as well.

Basically.. there is no real reason you cannot make a pirate on Crimson .. and play with your son.. If you need dubs.. You have your own already. You can also then.. top up your son's dubs by typing /tip and his name as long as you have both clients up at th e same time.

I am thinking you probably have 2 computors as you are talking about playing together. You can also log onto both your Crimson pirates clients on any one machine to do this..or by using a combination of one has the keyboard and one the mouse play together.. after a fashion..

Unless you used your own original client to make his pirate on Crimson.
Then ..Make another client with a pirate on it on your home ocean.. Tip that pirate dubs.. and then use that client to make your crimson pirate.

You do not have to play as seriously or earnestly as you do on your own ocean.. He just wants to have you there too.. Perhaps go sail together.. or Inn games..

!GO!

Play!.. Enjoy with your son!

No more sad faces please!
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Apr 6, 2010 6:02:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

If you have a lot of lime, trash it.

Personally, being quite a bit above 13, I prefer actually playing mainly on Crimson. I use my other characters to fund my doubloons (Crimson is too steep), but the poe from Crimson. I find that there is less interaction with other people, which is often something I like (I tend to love what MMORPGs offer, but prefer playing solo), but sometimes it's nice to play with other people, and the way the game is set up right now doesn't allow for much of that on Crimson.

What I think is that Crimson is an ocean with special requirements and needs, due to the vast difference to other oceans. You nailed the differences upon launch, now it's (past) due time to work on balancing it to create an equally individual gaming experience. As some people mentioned here, the younger players tend to lose interest in long pillages and are more concerned with the sparklies. And nor do I support immediate gratification, but I wish there were more opportunities for "fun" on Crimson that was limited to Crimson, and not optional on other oceans. Such as a co-op puzzle, or adventure hunts to take out skeletons. Anything, really, and preferable to use existing code, tweaked, to simplify the developer's job. I realise that as of now, Crimson may not be an ocean that OOO would like to delegate a lot of resources on, but it won't ever be that if steps aren't taken to bring in a larger player base and increased sources of revenue.

What I also find is that players are put into the ocean there is limited accessibility beyond the starting phase to information about the game. Put a pillar on the docks with a link to Yippedia that reads "Tips an Tricks to the game" or something that will inspire the "older-youngins" to do some reading and research.

In essence, accessibility to information, and individuality to the ocean as a whole I think needs to be worked on, though largely, I believe the mature community of Crimson has a responsibility to help keep the ocean going with as few major changes as possible, and with not relying on the OMs help.

I hope this was of help, if the feedback for this ocean is still being read and evaluated.

And please consider an Explorer's Hall for Dragon's Nest ;-)

Edits: Spelling.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Shirato at Dec 30, 2010 4:04:12 AM]
[Dec 30, 2010 4:00:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

Also:

Click on any of the white-named pirates to challenge them to a practice sword fight. Check the tournament board for upcoming tournaments or join some mates for a drink or a brawl!

This is what a greenie sees the first time he or she enters an Inn on Crimson. I am very sad about no drinking game on Crimson (and hearts... and spades), but I think if we can't have the game in there, we definitely shouldn't encourage the activity of alcohol consumption by saying "join some mates for a drink". (arguably, a glass of water is a drink, but we all know the implied meaning of this particular quote, do we not?)
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Jan 2, 2011 6:03:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Lime ade...
solves both problems..
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Jan 2, 2011 8:23:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates