• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 245
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 67539 times and has 244 replies Next Thread
Hermes
Developer

Family Ocean Beta Feedback

The beta launch of our first Family server is upon us! If you have not yet wandered over to check it out, it is accessible from right here.

In this thread, we welcome any questions or comments that parents and other Family ocean players may have about the new and different features available there. It is our hope to continue to develop the Family server architecture to provide a safe and fun experience for kids and adults alike, but we can't do that without hearing from you!

Have fun, and thanks for your interest in helping us build a better Puzzle Pirates!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hermes at Jul 1, 2009 5:39:14 PM]
[Jul 1, 2009 11:23:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

As all pirate names are not allowed, I haven't sussed out if we can /invite etc people. The tell thing is simple enough.

When will navy missions be turned on?
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[Jul 1, 2009 6:33:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cyntash

I am actually finding the chat filter a problem..... Some people have a problem (that they have no control over, it is a learning disability) called Phonetic Spelling. They spell as it sounds. But the chat over there isn't allowing spelling errors. I mistyped a word (wasn't sure how to spell it) and it wouldn't allow me to send the chat. I think something needs to be done about it, because I know one person in my house that would never be able to go there because he has this problem. And there are others out there with this problem.
Queenrose on all Oceans but mainly SO of Alere flammam Veritatis on Midnight

Aka: Cherryblosom AKA: whoever else I am
[Jul 1, 2009 6:38:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

Aye and with it being a family ocean, where children will be encouraged to play, will they be able to communicate if they just can't spell? I think an awful lot of people will have problems with it. I think the method of just not allowing ANY sort of curse word is going to be easier in the long run.. but hey. I'm ain't no GD chappess.
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[Jul 1, 2009 6:41:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cyntash

I can see a typo. IE: I typed wouldn't without the ' and it turned red. Fine...I can deal with that. But when they really DON'T know how to spell the word correctly its not right. But I agree Sammy......Just put all the known curse words in the dictionary they use and don't allow them. That would be the best bet.

Edit: I actually petitioned the chat and this was what I got in response:
We need to do the chat as an allow list. This means that every word is on a list of allowed words. It just wouldn't be possible to include every spelling of each word. Because of this, pirates have to try to work within the filter. Our hope is that we all get used to dealing with the strict filter. It is also possible that over time we add more words to the allowed list.

Sorry, but actually isn't right IMO. To me that is saying....Hey you can't spell, so you can't play. As was stated before, just take all the swear words and their different spellings and don't allow them.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cyntash at Jul 1, 2009 7:01:05 PM]
[Jul 1, 2009 6:48:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

The chat filter also won't allow the word "as."

Yeah, it seems weird to not allow any misspelling on an ocean specifically designed for an age group that is still developing spelling skills.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Jul 1, 2009 7:02:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I can't do a /w on people who's names aren't real words, including OMs. That's broken.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jul 1, 2009 7:14:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

1) I was hoping dubs would be non-transferable from other oceans.

2) Being a selection that branches off of a regular account, what is there to prevent a child under the age of 13 from clicking over to the non-family accounts and logging on to one of the current oceans?

I realize there is nothing to stop a 10 year old from logging onto YPP as it is, and being labeled as a "family" ocean suggests a level of parental supervision, but you are now INVITING children to come play. I can only do so much in preventing my child from taking the wrong actions, and I realize it's not YOUR responsiblity to safe-guard my kid from doing something bone-headed like logging onto the wrong ocean.... but at the very least, make it less tempting, less accessable.

Will the Crimson one day be dowloadable as a completely separate entity, separate from the other oceans (like Ice)? If so, that would put my mind at ease.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jul 1, 2009 7:17:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cyntash

I can't do a /w on people who's names aren't real words, including OMs. That's broken.

Not broken....it is the way it is set up, which is why I was saying if you can't spell you can't play (at least on that ocean) . All words on their list are ok. If the word isnt on a list it will be highlighted in red and chat wont be sent. So unless your child is a perfect speller, they are going to have real problems.

[Jul 1, 2009 7:23:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yearbook50

I'm disappointed that my dubs from my main account were available over there. I had hoped it was going to be separate in order to keep the old wealth being transferred over.
Yearbook
Cerulean
Queen of Crimson Tide

Rome says, "I don't even have a status of a man"
[Jul 1, 2009 7:27:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

All the "wealth" that comes from selling doubloons on Crimson is going to be gained from PoE that was earned on Crimson. Doubloon values are going to be very low there while only the Navy is available for pay, so it's not like someone can just drop a few doubloons and make millions instantly.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 1, 2009 7:43:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Not broken....it is the way it is set up, which is why I was saying if you can't spell you can't play (at least on that ocean) . All words on their list are ok. If the word isnt on a list it will be highlighted in red and chat wont be sent. So unless your child is a perfect speller, they are going to have real problems.

Once someone creates a pirate, that name should be added to the dictionary.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jul 1, 2009 7:47:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roranorzolox

The chat filter i find it way to extensive...example= the word Cronus is blocked....so sad for Cronus the ocean master
Roranorzolo on Meridian
[Jul 1, 2009 7:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
prariedogs52

The word Ult is blocked as well.
Another random alt
[Jul 1, 2009 7:51:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kissmysass

Doubloon values are going to be very low there while only the Navy is available for pay, so it's not like someone can just drop a few doubloons and make millions instantly.

That's not the point. Like you said, dubs will be cheap on Crimson. Therefore, people can just get dubs at a cheaper price than they would at their home ocean.
Sicuno on Viridian Ocean
[Jul 1, 2009 7:54:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

I can't make the :B face or the D: face. This is very upsetting to me D:
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Jul 1, 2009 8:00:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

1) I was hoping dubs would be non-transferable from other oceans.

2) Being a selection that branches off of a regular account, what is there to prevent a child under the age of 13 from clicking over to the non-family accounts and logging on to one of the current oceans?

I realize there is nothing to stop a 10 year old from logging onto YPP as it is, and being labeled as a "family" ocean suggests a level of parental supervision, but you are now INVITING children to come play. I can only do so much in preventing my child from taking the wrong actions, and I realize it's not YOUR responsiblity to safe-guard my kid from doing something bone-headed like logging onto the wrong ocean.... but at the very least, make it less tempting, less accessable.

Will the Crimson one day be dowloadable as a completely separate entity, separate from the other oceans (like Ice)? If so, that would put my mind at ease.

yes! seperate client would fix them from just 2-3 clicks and be where they shouldnt. rather underaged play away where they belong than banned for underage and where they shouldnt be due to easily accessing the rest
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jul 1, 2009 8:04:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Please include huggle as an approved word. It's a vital part of YPP language.
Jolyma

[Jul 1, 2009 8:38:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amoyer

The chat filter also won't allow the word "as."

This one has been expressed as a problem from the OMs to the developers already. I'm sure there will be others too.
Cedarwings
Captain of the Crew Schmew of the Flag Schmag
Cobalt Ocean
Oceanus wrote: 
"I hear Atlantis is all fun and giggles"

[Jul 1, 2009 8:39:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I am inclined to agree that it really should be a separate entity like Ice, either that or if a parent creates an account for their child, they should be able to disable access to all the other oceans.

I also am a little uncomfortable with having doubloons transferable. I am sure that will mean that they will eventually get up to about the same level as the other oceans which is for the most part, an unattainable goal for the kids. The 20 doubloons from the dub club won't go very far. I think I'd like to see this ocean completely separate and have things generally cheaper there. I see no reason why pets and palace items should not be priced as they were on Ice. That would help balance out the absence of the big money makers (SMHs and poker.) Badges should also be cheaper as well (I was glad to see the parlor badge halved.)

Speaking of parlor games, I am hoping that at least hearts will be returned, it doesn't need a wager to play and it is included in every kids game collection I have ever seen.

The prize of the month is a great way to appeal to the "gotta collect them all" crowd. Very well planned. (I know I am tempted.)
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 1, 2009 9:18:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

A tip, which I have also passed on to Cronus at least:

There seems to be some issue with Dub Club dubs not always showing up right away on Crimson, even though they seem to show up on the regular dub oceans. (I did send a bug report)

To fix it, log off and on (you then get the gifts), then log off an on a second time (you then see the dubs). Bizarre, but until that's fixed, that should work. So far it has for myself and several others.
Jolyma

[Jul 1, 2009 9:19:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

I'm sad to see dubs are universal, and even more so how to totally put off anyone who is a subscriber helping to Beta test :/
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Jul 1, 2009 10:36:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

I was surprised it wasn't a separate client too. I visited Ice first, since it is in beta, expecting it to be a server choice the way the oceans are listed on the regular client. Then I head slapped, since ice is sub only access. So, I combed the website trying to find the client download. Only after those two assumptions did I try looking on the regular client.

And I didn't see it.

I had to log into my main ocean and ask my crewbies were Crimson was hiding. That button at the bottom won't stop a curious 5 year old for long, but it did make it hard for this adult to go be supportive.
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Jul 1, 2009 10:40:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Also appears that what are normal names with no "meaning" can be created but you cannot type them, invite them etc once on the game.

Even my name is filtered lol if you shorted it to Cala!! Oh well :S

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by mari_ at Jul 1, 2009 10:59:58 PM]
[Jul 1, 2009 10:56:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

Are words for example, pearl necklace, allowed?

If so, it's going to be tough to have a pirate day care over there since people are just going to give meanings to innocent words and giggle at them.

/what? I was talking about pirate jewellery.
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Burnt_Water at Jul 1, 2009 11:06:43 PM]
[Jul 1, 2009 11:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Question: Will buying a month of the golden doubloon club be enough to keep an account from being purged? (I can't remember if the $2.95 purchase was enough or if it had to be at least $9.95.)

Also - I sort of hope that trophies will not be turned on for awhile - I currently have ultimate swordfight and rumble after just playing (and winning) one game of each.

Can we get at least one of each crafting job available for the puzzles? Currently there are several ringer run stalls that are not hiring and the only paying jobs available are distilling and shipwrightery.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 1, 2009 11:38:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Also - I sort of hope that trophies will not be turned on for awhile - I currently have ultimate swordfight and rumble after just playing (and winning) one game of each.

I'd like to see a stats purge before the ocean opens to the general public. It's meant for families, and to have the ult list so skewed to start out with will be quite a frustrating deterrent to many.

I realize that's just my own opinion, and it's probably not a popular one. It is frustrating trying to test and seeing all the "When will I get my name on the ult list?" and "Why don't I get my ult trophy?" questions.
Jolyma

[Jul 1, 2009 11:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kharnor

I certainly hope the blocking of words that are part of a command gets fixed, it's rather annoying not to be able to /tell, /invite or /w anyone :P
Kharnor, perpetual junior officer of the Lost Lot
[Jul 2, 2009 12:23:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitmit

My biggest problem, trying to run a pillage only to have 2 or 3 people sitting on board during battles refusing to work and having a bit of a giggle that I couldn't plank them... quite annoying.
Generic comment.
[Jul 2, 2009 12:33:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

The purple name is appearing too similar to the OM blue name and lots of people with it are being spammed constantly from people assuming they are OM's. Perhaps red would have been a more appropriate colour to tie in with the colour of the ocean?

[Jul 2, 2009 1:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates