• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 165
Posts: 165   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29464 times and has 164 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Summer Vacation edition [winners posted] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:

This month's theme is "Pirate Resort Vacation". Even the most daring of swashbucklers likes an occasional vacation, and this month's portrait background theme aims to capture some of those days off! Picture yourself at an exclusive resort... white sands, blue seas, gently waving palm trees, sidestepping crabs, the rustle and murmuring of brightly colored parrots, the chattering of monkeys in the trees overhead... perhaps you're having a day relaxing by the water, stretched out on a deck chair or straw mat beneath a beach umbrella - don't forget your piratey sun screen! Later on maybe some surfing or windsurfing; or perhaps working your way through the extensive list of rum cocktails at the beach bar? Are you enjoying the exotic tropical fruits? The delicious selection from the beach BBQ? Cooking at a fire pit? Bamboo, rattan, tiki torches, beach cabins, waterside bungalows... the ultimate pirate getaway! You may choose any size of portrait - just ensure you provide the correct size image for your chosen background size.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail.

Please put "vacationcontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{vacationcontest-Portrait|Forumname}} (where "Forumname" is replaced by your own forum name!)

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates tote bag and playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean or indigo, but can be black or gold. In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the mousepad and playing cards if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
July 31st 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.

Also, take note of the way
some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Aug 4, 2009 3:11:07 PM]
[Jun 29, 2009 11:55:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
chibilover

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Summer Vacation edition [deadline 31st July 2009] Reply to this Post

Apollo, do you come up with all these topics up?

If you do, then I applaud you. *applauds*
Princessina on Meridian.

[Jul 1, 2009 9:59:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Summer Vacation edition [deadline 31st July 2009] Reply to this Post

SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Jul 2, 2009 6:02:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Is it 2 or 4-5? It looks nice, but I'm wondering if a 2 would cover up the nice work?

Also: I'm reworking an old entry to take the least amount of time possible. I just started college, so I don't have the time needed to make an entirely new one.

PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jul 2, 2009 7:51:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

I would like some comments on this portrait so I can improve it. I am working on another one...

here is the one I have finished... I hope I uploaded it correctly...
The link (I can't make the image show through Y!PP)

Padme, try to outline the background a little more... and don't make the bushes' lines so thick... it makes it seem those are the subjects... other wise inviting.

Harlech, I love it... but I think the octopuses should be moved farther apart so that the people in the portrait won't cover them... other wise CUTE and it'll be AWESOME with colors.

Have fun and good luck!
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mawkawlaw at Jul 2, 2009 9:25:43 PM]
[Jul 2, 2009 8:37:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Harlech, I love it... but I think the octopuses should be moved farther apart so that the people in the portrait won't cover them... other wise CUTE and it'll be AWESOME with colors.

>.> I could be crazy but I think those are squid? <.< Octos have more of a bulbous head
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Jul 3, 2009 6:39:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

That is so cute!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jul 4, 2009 12:32:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
chibilover

Absolute genius.
Princessina on Meridian.

[Jul 4, 2009 4:32:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefna

k this is but it's not ready
pls give me suggestions

i edit my picture and i want to change the roof but i want to see your suggestions first thx

ipolitto- hunting on hunter
[Edit 5 times, last edit by stefna at Jul 6, 2009 7:21:18 AM]
[Jul 5, 2009 10:01:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

k this is but it's not ready
pls give me suggestions
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/images/d/df/PARRRty2.png
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/images/c/c5/PARRRty.png

So far, looking good. Just a couple things to point out:

1) You'll need to draw that pirate in the little stall. The rules expressly state all original artwork.

2) The little stall needs some rounding in front and shading inside. The front may not need more shading, but right now, it looks kinda flat, while the inside suggests more like a giant log carved out.

3) I like the mugs and glass and such, but wondering if the black skull flags suggest pARRRty or blockade... maybe give them a party color? Might need to change the skulls into something else, but maybe if you use a cheery color combination, the skulls would still be nice :) You did a nice job on them, too.

4) To me, it looks like the sun is setting, but your lanterns suggest it is past that point.. Someone may correct me on this, but I think they need to be a bit dimmer for that time of day. Maybe make them glow a little less?

5) Last point, and that is shading :) Which, you probably already know and are working on, from the looks of your building there :) It has some, but you need more.

Sorry if that is a little overwhelming.. I have a tendency to do that to myself, too.. just when I work, I like to do it all at once.. So just take one point at a time, and listen to others' advice :)
Hope that helps.

Padme, try to outline the background a little more... and don't make the bushes' lines so thick... it makes it seem those are the subjects... other wise inviting.

I'm not sure I follow on that.. I understand the bushes (I think I was told to do that before, too XD) and can fix, easy. but not so sure I understand the outlining of the background.. Could you give a specific spot that needs outlining? Or an example?

Thanks!
Padme
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jul 5, 2009 1:39:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Peggy_

Harlech, I can't wait to see how your background turns out. It looks like the perfect summer for both pirates and seamonsters. :o)

I'm not sure if I've done this a little wrong, not reading the 'resort' part of the specification but I'll take a shot at it anyway with the place my pirate would most likely visit on a summer holiday- the pyramids. If this is even a valid choice then I'd love some feedback on what is at the moment just a sketch, and whether the idea would maybe be better as a couple portrait.

Thankye!
Peggy of Cerulean
available for avatars & other artwork on request, shoot me a pm if interested
[Jul 5, 2009 4:03:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

I'm not sure I follow on that.. I understand the bushes (I think I was told to do that before, too XD) and can fix, easy. but not so sure I understand the outlining of the background.. Could you give a specific spot that needs outlining? Or an example?

I was thinking something around the lines of this:

These are my entries:

Entry one (modified from earlier):

Entry two:

Please give me suggestions for my portraits.

THANK YOU!
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Jul 5, 2009 4:33:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Ahoy mates...first for my feedback (for what it's worth, lol) take with a grain of sand...

Molasses - nice sketch as usual - looking forward to seeing it fleshed out.

Peggy - love the pyramids - really great sketch. I have no idea if pirates would visit them for vacation, but why not?

Padme - I'm kinda bothered by the horizon line of the ocean - it sort of humps up - and the grass could use some more detail and definition.

Mawkawlaw - on the first one, the ocean is really slanting down - the horizon line should be horizontal - as it is it kinda makes me dizzy! Also, the perspective on the rowboat seem a bit off in relationship to the tent. Also, the flag needs to be a bit more "relaxed" - not just a square - maybe put some waves in it like it's blowing in the wind? I really like the colors in the sky, but maybe reflect them in the water? Not really sure about the second one mate - can't really figure out where yer goin' with that one. =/

Anyway, here's a preliminary look at my entry. Figured a pirate might want to go fishin' on his vacation. Still lots of work to do - haven't really worked on the dock, fishing pole, ropes, fish bucket or shadowing yet - still very much a work in progress...

As always, comment, feeback and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jul 5, 2009 10:35:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I love that birdie! lol

I think ur bucket needs some shading on it to make it look more 3D =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jul 6, 2009 12:11:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Greylady - your art is great, but there is one thing that bothers me in every background you make: the "pixelated" outlines.
I know it's because of the program you use, but I was wondering if there was a way to smooth the lines a bit.. Does it make any difference if you work on the background in bigger size and then resize it to fit the requirements of the competition?

And then there's always the option to change the program you use.. Maybe try some other program for your next background?
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Jul 6, 2009 3:53:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Ahoy mates, thanks for the kind comments. The squids are just a sketch, partly inspired by crazejw's seamonster wrestling a wreck, and partly by a shipwrightery/octopus avatar I've been drawing. They're squids for now, but they may wind up being octopi or gorgonyx (or even kraken) depending on what suits best.

I think you mates are right about them getting covered up, so I'll try and fit them into the distance in a large background. This means the beachball will be sixty feet in diameter, but oh well. :)

---

Greylady:
Your work is excellent again. Everything is well-placed and will totally frame the pirate. As Kirrpu suggests, find a method that will allow you to draw less-pixelated edges. I typically draw my entries as large as can fit on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper, and then scan at 400 to 600 dpi. So when I'm working, my image is usually a few thousand pixels wide. When I scale it down for submission, it usually looks smoother and neater than the original.

Also, as I said, your layout is great, but you might think about the brightness of all your elements. As viewers, we're pretty much looking into the sun, aye? If you go outside and hold anything opaque in front of the sun, it will appear almost black in comparison. Of course, this is a drawing, so you have some leeway here, but you could do some thinking about the relative brightness of your elements. One easy way to do this is to do a series of thumbnails (two inch drawings) with some markers on paper. The form doesn't have to be perfect at all, just bash out a few quick options-- ye might surprise yerself.

Oh, and the bird is perfect.

Mawklawlaw:
If you can make the rest of the drawing as attractive as your sky I reckon you're golden, mate. Your perspective needs some help. You can either learn the basics, or get yourself some good references. I would probably google image search some rowboats on shore, seen from the point of view of someone standing on the beach. It may take a few tries, but with those images in mind, you should be able to draw a pretty convincing rowboat.

Padme:
Mr. Men bushes, mate. :) Few of us have the patience to draw trees leaf by leaf, but ye can draw a few small sets of leaves, and the copy and paste 'em like crazy. This could be a quick way to add texture to your grass, too... a tuft here and there? Your logs interlock convincingly, mate, and make the cabin believable. The window, however, looks like a picture hanging on the wall. I'd aim to give it the same "constructed" character the rest of the cabin has. Maybe even give us a peek inside the cabin? Heck, I'm nosy.

Stefna:
hahaha Parrrty, mate. I like the idea.

Peggy:
I'm glad you've done pyramids, mate. I've been wondering myself how far beyond piratey bounds we can step. I love the layout; You've managed to make everything fit without making it seem like the pirate is obscuring important things. (I have problems with this myself.) It's damned cute, and I think it really works as a single pirate portrait.
SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Jul 6, 2009 5:33:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chibilover

Tehee! Peggy, I like the pyramid idea.

(Mostly cause I live in the country they're in :P)
Princessina on Meridian.

[Jul 6, 2009 7:06:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefna

k i make some changes but it's not ready yet :D. Any suggestion ?
thx

ipolitto- hunting on hunter
[Jul 7, 2009 6:16:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chibilover

Here's the sketch of my idea. I decided to fit it to the 1 person portrait size just in case I used this sketch.

Any improvements I can make? (I was thinking of making more chairs and drawing fishies from these windows)
Princessina on Meridian.

[Jul 7, 2009 6:58:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Chibilover, I really think yours could do wonders, but you might want to fix the person looking outside of the window, because it looks like they're going through a chair. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll turn out great.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Jul 7, 2009 7:12:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chibilover

I never thought of it that way. I'll try to fix it, and thanks. n__n
Princessina on Meridian.

[Jul 7, 2009 7:35:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lamour

I really like your sketch ^^ wanna see how it will turn out to be
I admire Dora
Back and moved to midnight as Hudie ^^
Reopened my avvie shoppe
[Jul 7, 2009 6:19:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Lamour, you're back? :)
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Jul 8, 2009 6:47:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lamour

Hey hun :)
kinda ^^ gonna start doing avatars again XD
I admire Dora
Back and moved to midnight as Hudie ^^
Reopened my avvie shoppe
[Jul 8, 2009 5:54:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

Hey hun :)
kinda ^^ gonna start doing avatars again XD

Whee!!!
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Jul 9, 2009 6:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dead_Rise

Okay, I've decided I'm going to do my first piece of art work on puzzle pirates and try to design a winning portrait.

Please comment, and give some constructive criticism.

Edit:
Wondering if I should make this a 2-pirate background and have another palm tree silhouette on the right facing left?

Summers night.
Mortality on Viridian/Hunter

[Edit 5 times, last edit by Dead_Rise at Jul 10, 2009 9:10:02 PM]
[Jul 10, 2009 7:43:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Ahoy again mates.

Here's an updated version of my background...thanks for the advice on starting with a larger image to alleviate some of the pixelation...seems better to me. What do you think? Improved?

As always I look forward to your comments/feedback/suggestions!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jul 10, 2009 8:06:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dead_Rise

Very nice work Greylady,
Can someone please upload this portrait background to the yppedia page: http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac173/Dead-rise/Portraitbackgroundnoglow.png

It wont let me login because I think I have an invalid forum name, thank you.

[Jul 10, 2009 9:19:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Katez5

Wow these look great! Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Deadrise:

I loveeee the palm tree! It looks amazing and I like your idea of extending it and doing one on the other side for a 2 pirate background though I think this works great as a single. Why not try both? The ship will probably be covered up though, that would be my only concern.

Greylady:

Love where you're going with this. It's a vacation but includes some of the piratey world as well. Looks much better now (pixelation wise) and I love what you've done with the shadows. Very nice.

Ippolito:

Looks great so far. The only thing I would add constructively would be about the stuff on the right (mostly the sign)

3 things

1. The word "vacation" is spelled wrong :S
2. The words at the top look great and centered but the last 2 lines would look amazing if they were centered as well. Much more official looking (like the top part).
3. The crossed swords look like they're both on the back wall...and covering the top of the roof out front at the same time. Are they hanging from the front or are they on the wall at the back? (Hard to tell where you're going with that).

Keep up the great work everyone!
Katez
Fire and Ice
Elements of Fear
Cerulean (formerly Cobalt) / Obsidian
[Jul 10, 2009 10:03:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dead_Rise

Deadrise: I loveeee the palm tree! It looks amazing and I like your idea of extending it and doing one on the other side for a 2 pirate background though I think this works great as a single. Why not try both? The ship will probably be covered up though, that would be my only concern.

Your wish has become true =-)

I try to copy the pirate templates from the yppedia to see how my portrait would look with a pirate, but it doesn't become transparent, the background becomes black. Tried saving them too.

Also can someone please upload my portrait background images to the yppedia, It wont let me login.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dead_Rise at Jul 11, 2009 1:02:12 AM]
[Jul 10, 2009 11:50:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 165   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates