• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 619
Posts: 619   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 151139 times and has 618 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

Island Editor Reply to this Post

Editor basics and help

Included here is some Scene Editor basics which should be able to help you with any problems you encounter with the editor as well as make you aware of the tools you'll be useing most. Please keep this thread just for Editor questions and help, any general comments on the contest and editor can be made in the Contest Thread. Final submissions should be made in the appropriate archipelago thread (linked from the Contest Thread) and comments on design and island creation can be made in the Island Design Thread.

Object Layer vs. Base Layer:
  • ]The Base Layer is composed of all the ground tiles, use this to create the shape and textures on your island. Almost all base tiles can be walked on. Exceptions include Water, Lava and Fissures.
  • ]The Object Layer contains objects that are used to populate the island, such as plants and buildings. Objects are obstructions, no matter what the size, and cannot be walked on. [/list:u:28af0273ae]

Mouse Controls:
    • ]Left Clicking places a tile of the selected type.
    • ]Left Clicking and Dragging places a block of tiles (only available in the Base Layer.)
    • ]Right Clicking removes an object of the current Layer.
    • ]Right Clicking and dragging removes a block of tiles of the current Layer.
    • ]Middle Clicking brings up the rendering options menu. (Be patient, this sometimes takes a few moments.)
    • ]Wheel Scrolling Scrolls through the different instances of the selected tile type. [/list:u:28af0273ae]

Menu Items:
      • ]Update mini view will clear your island preview. Make your window smaller (skinnier) if you are getting black spots as it renders.
      • ]Display Commodity Object Counts will give you a list of how many commodities you have placed. Herbs and minerals will only be counted if set to the right type and color.
      • ]Save Overview Map will save a rendering of your island in the install directory (C: -> Program Files -> Three Rings Design -> Yohoho Tools -> Snapshot.png) or just do a search for Yohoho. If the Screenshot doesn't take, try again or make your island smaller!
      • ]Make Default Base Tile - Changes what the "empty" space renders as, keep it on water for your islands!
      • ]Rendering Options - Also accessible by middle clicking on an object from the Object Layer.
        • ]Change the Rendering priority - Sets an object to render in front of or behind other objects on the same tile. Conflicting objects are boxed in yellow. Use this very sparingly.
        • ]Change Colors - Changes the colors of recolorable objects such as herbs, minerals and some buildings. Remember that herbs and minerals must be the right type as well as color. Save this for last on slow machines as it affects render time.[/list:u:28af0273ae][/list:u:28af0273ae]

Commodities: A complete list of what objects correspond to what commodities.
          Bush (hemp)       Hemp
          Bush (herb1)
          Madder (red)
          Old Man's Beard (brown)
          Yarrow (white)
          Sassafras (black)
          Iris Root(grey)
          Bush (herb2)
          Weld (yellow)
          Broom Flower (pink)
          Lobelia (violet)
          Pokeweed Berries (purple)
          Indigo (navy)
          Elderberries (blue)
          Bush (herb3)
          Cowslip(aqua)
          Lily of the Valley(lime)
          Nettle (green)
          Butterfly Weed (orange)
          Bush (sugarcane) Sugarcane
          Mineral (large)
          Lorandite (red)
          Leushite (brown)
          Tellurium (white)
          Thorianite (black)
          Chalcocite (grey)
          Papagoite (blue)
          Mineral (small)
          Cubanite (yellow)
          Serandite (pink)
          Sincosite (green)
          Masuyite (orange)
          Rocks (Granite) Rock
          Rocks (Iron) Iron
          Tree (oak) Wood

Saving your work: Check that you have the following!
          • ]Give your work a name! There is a text box at the top for this.
          • ]Setup the main arrow, or main entrance for your island (use the yellow arrow button)
          • ]Give the file a .XML extension, as it does not add one automatically.[/list:u:28af0273ae]

A few last nuances to be aware of:
            • ]Docks and Jetties will need a layer of water around for the edges to display properly
            • ]You do not need to use anything in the Fringe section of the Object Layer.
            • ]When you try to load up a file, sometimes it will not appear where it should be, simply exit that directory and reenter and it should then show up.
            • ]Sometimes it will not take a picture, try it again as it can be a bit stubborn. If you continue to have problems, your island is probably TOO BIG!![/list:u:28af0273ae]

Demi: updated broken link
              ----------------------------------------
              [Edit 3 times, last edit by Demeter at Oct 2, 2014 5:20:09 AM]
[Nov 15, 2004 11:58:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Re: Island Editor Reply to this Post

Is there a way use the client to view the map with a pirate? I would like to walk around and feel the island when I'm walking around.
[Nov 24, 2004 9:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Hehe, hehe, hehe. What exactly are we talking about here?
[Nov 24, 2004 10:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
altmerman55

Wow, very nice. :)
[size=10]Sheo says, "We're duking it out after this"
Peax says, "With great pleasure."
Feegle says, "You guys DO know that it's the arguing, and not the poe or blood, that convinces me to come along on your pillages, right?"

[Nov 24, 2004 10:05:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sheo55 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Whitefire wrote: 
Is there a way use the client to view the map with a pirate? I would like to walk around and feel the island when I'm walking around.

Actually, there was. But it just can't get to you.
[Nov 24, 2004 10:10:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Wow, this is an incredibly amazing tool! I love it.
[Nov 24, 2004 10:15:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Nemo wrote: 
Whitefire wrote: 

Actually, there was. But it just can't get to you.

Boo.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Nov 24, 2004 10:22:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Maybe I'm just an idiot or something, but where is the download file?
[Nov 24, 2004 10:43:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
altmerman55

stevedave wrote: 
Maybe I'm just an idiot or something, but where is the download file?

Here.
[size=10]Sheo says, "We're duking it out after this"
Peax says, "With great pleasure."
Feegle says, "You guys DO know that it's the arguing, and not the poe or blood, that convinces me to come along on your pillages, right?"

[Nov 24, 2004 10:45:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sheo55 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
problems Reply to this Post

Ok, I have TONS of questions, I think I just might not be so good at this stuff lol.
How do I make my buildings enterable?
How do I put down commodities?
There's that pulldown menu at the top, what does it do?
There are objects that look like they should be inside the buildings, is there a way to get inside the buildings?
What are all the system thingys, and how do I use them?
[Nov 24, 2004 11:29:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: problems Reply to this Post

How do I make my buildings enterable?

You don't.

How do I put down commodities?

They're listed in red text in the first post.

There's that pulldown menu at the top, what does it do?

Which one?

There are objects that look like they should be inside the buildings, is there a way to get inside the buildings?

Interiors would be a different scene.

What are all the system thingys, and how do I use them?

You don't.
[Nov 24, 2004 11:44:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Oh, and one thing I forgot to add... If it doesn't take the picture, try again and if it still doesn't then your island is TOO BIG!
[Nov 24, 2004 12:14:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Ok, what do you mean by "different scene" and the pulldown menu I mean is the one that says stuff like Apothecaries, and Banks in it.
[Nov 24, 2004 12:19:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

The same editor is used to create both indoor and outdoor scenes. An island is a scene. So is each room of a building.
[Nov 24, 2004 12:23:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
sushib

Well how do I switch between scenes?
Sarathebest-The hawtest minor in Midnight :)
Captain of Fevrent
Princess of Elysian Fields

Rugby tells you, "yer the best"
You told Rugby, "I am?"
Rugby tells you, "aye"
[Nov 24, 2004 12:52:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SaRrRaThEbEsSsT [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Anonymous wrote: 
the pulldown menu I mean is the one that says stuff like Apothecaries, and Banks in it.

Identifies the scene. Yours are fine on "world."
[Nov 24, 2004 12:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Artemis wrote: 
Oh, and one thing I forgot to add... If it doesn't take the picture, try again and if it still doesn't then your island is TOO BIG!

Experience, eh?
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Nov 24, 2004 12:57:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

I can't seem to get my jetty corners to display properly, where the front and back jetty tiles meet. I need a corner!
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Nov 24, 2004 1:38:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sin1man

Is anyone else having the problem of rare commodity counts not showing up in the commodity count screen? The editor seems to sount basic commodities fine but I can not seem to make it count the various herbs for example.
Simman

Nemo says, "I typo too."
[Nov 24, 2004 1:57:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Simman3 [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

Ok, I think I have only one question (for now).

The whole medium sized colonization thingy is kind of explained, but Im curious if there is a standard number of blocks to be used depending on which size colonization the island I choose is supposed to be...(hopes im not making this confusing). What I mean to ask is, how do I know if my island is too big or too small for a medium or full colonization or for an outpost. Is there a set standard? If so, what is it? Also, Do I need to include "fake" buildngs where I think the buldings would really be if my island were chosen, and do I need to create clearings for them? Or do I pretend the island is as of yet not habbited but leave clearings anyway? Or do I pretend its not habbited yet and put land stuff down assuming it would be bulldozed later to make way for construction?

I know these are a few questions and I know I made it sound confusing, if you dont quite understand what Im asking, ill explain again, but please answer as best you can and try to make sense of my jibberish ^_^

Thank you :)

EDIT: Also, How do I know how many "square foot" each land square is? I have no referance as to how big or small my island really is from Pirate's eye's view, so to speak. The only referance I have is the plant sizes, so I am assuming those are "actual" size?

-"No Default Entrance Portal" I get this message when I try to save, I may be tired and missing something, but I have no idea what this error message means.

Also, does the number of commodities provided with the Island descriptions reflect on how many actual littel plants and things should be placed? (I.E. 3 Sincosite, so place only 3 small mineral objects)?
Liliene on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Frostburnx at Nov 24, 2004 3:14:02 PM]
[Nov 24, 2004 3:14:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Morrigan wrote: 
I can't seem to get my jetty corners to display properly, where the front and back jetty tiles meet. I need a corner!

They don't connect.

sin1man wrote: 
Is anyone else having the problem of rare commodity counts not showing up in the commodity count screen? The editor seems to sount basic commodities fine but I can not seem to make it count the various herbs for example.

If you don't set your herbs and minerals to the right colors, they don't count. Check the red text in the first post for the appropriate colors.

Frostburnx wrote: 
How do I know if my island is too big or too small?... Do I neet to include fake buildings?

For the contest, you need to show both the virgin and colonized (to the maximum of whatever size the island is, Outpost, Medium, Full). The purpose of this is for you to make your island the right size. Make some island. Put down some buildings. Is it too small? Make more island.
Save uninhabited versions all along, and just test with the the built ones.

Everything is actual size. You're using the exact same tool we use. If you want a vague idea of a pirate's size, use a mannequin.
[Nov 24, 2004 3:59:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Under 'Scene name' what does the Colorization pull down menus mean? Because at first I couldn't select anything, but now the first one is set to 'textile_p' and the second one can be set to different colors.

There also needs to be an easy way to get full sized images of islands :(
[Nov 24, 2004 6:45:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Well how do I switch between scenes?

Open a new file! You shouldn't need to switch the pulldown tab at all from "world".

-"No Default Entrance Portal" I get this message when I try to save, I may be tired and missing something, but I have no idea what this error message means.

You need to make a yellow arrow (see the big yellow arrow on a button at the top?) essentially this will be where you first appear on the island, the docks.

Also, does the number of commodities provided with the Island descriptions reflect on how many actual littel plants and things should be placed? (I.E. 3 Sincosite, so place only 3 small mineral objects)?

Menu Items -> Display Commodity Object Counts will give you a list of how many commodities you have placed. Herbs and minerals will only be counted if set to the right type and color.

Yes, one commodity reflects one plant.

Take a look at islands with Jetties already, see how they were fudged. Alpha is a good one.

Under 'Scene name' what does the Colorization pull down menus mean? Because at first I couldn't select anything, but now the first one is set to 'textile_p' and the second one can be set to different colors.

You shouldn't need to change anything here.
[Nov 24, 2004 10:33:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

Once I set something down, how do I delete it?

Edit: Removing is the same as deleteing. I should right click.
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Heygabe at Nov 24, 2004 10:57:45 PM]
[Nov 24, 2004 10:57:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

Artemis wrote: 

You need to make a yellow arrow (see the big yellow arrow on a button at the top?) essentially this will be where you first appear on the island, the docks.

I placed an arrow and still get this message.
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Nov 24, 2004 11:05:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Maybe you named it something other than the default?
[Nov 24, 2004 11:12:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sin1man

I am still confused on the rare commodity counts. I placed herb 1 on my island and colored it red. But no madder would show up in my commodity counter. Here is a crop from my island.

Shouldn't this plant count as madder?
Simman

Nemo says, "I typo too."
[Nov 25, 2004 12:46:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Simman3 [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

There are three different herbs: herb1, herb2 and herb3. Madder is ONLY found as one of those three. Try a different type of herb and color it red. When you get it right it'll show up in the commodity object count.

Or just check out the Commodity list in the first post in this thread.
[Nov 25, 2004 12:49:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

WhoIsYou wrote: 
Artemis wrote: 

I placed an arrow and still get this message.

Check the box that says "Make Default Portal"
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Nov 25, 2004 1:02:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

Gotagota wrote: 

Check the box that says "Make Default Portal"

I must be blind or something. I'm not seeing a checkbox for making it a default portal.
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Nov 25, 2004 2:25:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 619   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates