• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6142 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Timwiles

A Very Puzzled Pirate Reply to this Post

A Very Puzzled Pirate

Why:
In light of the seemingly large gap between the so called "elite" and "greenie" pirates (because we all know there is no middle ground, right?) I thought I would throw an event to help those who feel like the odds are stacked against them to be successful in YPP. This event also gives players a chance to give back to the YPP community.

Ever see the officer who has neophyte/able bnav despite any requirements that a crew might list in its info page? Yep you guessed it, that's Me! This event is aimed at helping pirates just like me to become better so they can lead more successful pillages and bring new blood to the pillaging, blockade, and SMH scenes. I have been at this game for a fairly long time, but when it comes to battle navigation, I'm still a VERY PUZZLED PIRATE. So what is your goal? To help me- and everyone else like me- to become better at battle navigation.

What:
The event will consist of three areas, each aimed at helping pirates become more accomplished in the areas of sea battle and leading pillages. Each area will be judged independent of the others, with different prizes being awarded to the winners and runners up of each area. An overall grand-prize winner will be chosen based on a composition of the three scores for pirates who wish to enter all three categories (not that it is possible for a pirate to win the overall category without winning any of the individual ones).

How:
The first category is a battle navigation guide. The guide can be as long, as short, or in any format that you desire- whether it is a video recording with an explanation of your bnav, a written guide, or any other format you choose. The guide is geared to someone completely new to battle navigation and the AI. However, it is not necessary to explain in this category everything that takes place on a pillage (that is for the next category); assume that potential watcher knows about rum, shot, the sf or brawl after, ect; you only have to explain the mechanics of battle navigation and strategy. The guide can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. However, a good guide should explain the basics of sea battle and then some of the more complex strategies of the AI. Providing your advice is solid, a pirate should be able to advance from fighting green brigands to much harder spawns by the time he is finished with your instructions (results obviously will very due to skill of the pirate). Because you are instructing "greener pirate", please make all information relevant to battle navigation on a sloop. However, feel free to throw in some differences between battling in different sized ships, or what you would to if you wanted to do on a WB bnav instead of a sloop. Please just make most of it relevant to a sloop pillage.
Judging criteria for this category will be as follows:
-The completeness of the guide.
-The guide's simplicity and ease to understand (by simplicity I mean how easy is it to translate your advice into practical use in battle).
-The overall quality of your advice.

Note: Please refrain from submitting guides that have already been completed. However, do feel free to reference certain sections of public guides, sections of your own, or a part of anything that you have created in the past. I do not want this contest to copy and paste, but understand some people might have done good work in the past. If you have a question about how much of a previous guide you can use, please contact me and a decision will be made on a case by case basis.

The Second category will be a guide on leading pillages in general. This guide does not have to include information on how to bnav. Much like the bnav category, entries can be any format desired. I would encourage you to make your entry as interesting and fun as possible. You can use pictures of things (such as screen shots of you charting or buying stock ect.), a written guide, or any combination of multi media you wish. In this guide, please assume that your audience knows about all the duty stations, but not much else. A good complete guide should cover everything form jobbing, how to balance bilge, carp, and sails during a battle, how to split booty ect. Because you are instructing a very puzzled pirate, please make all information relevant to pillaging on a sloop. However, feel free to throw in some differences between ships, or what you would to if you wanted to do a WB pillage instead of a sloop. Please just make most of it relevant to a sloop pillage. A good complete pillage guide should also give information on planning a pillage for an elite group of pirates as opposed to a greener group and explain the differences between routs, brigand colors, ect.
Judging criteria for this category will be as follows:
-The completeness of the guide.
-The guide's simplicity and ease to understand (by simplicity I mean how easy is it to translate your advice into practical use in battle).
-The overall quality of your advice.

The third category is based on your ability to translate your advice into reality on a mini-pillage. This section will come after the first two, so the leader of the pillage will have time to read your advice that you have provided in the first two categories. You will be jobbed aboard a ship (all participants in the event will be provided with elite puzzlers in order to assure fairness and equal opportunities for moves and damage control during sea battle). You will then explain how to get ready for a pillage to the "greenie" naver. Because you will be explaining and talking, you will not be required to puzzle. Every ship will sail with seven mates, with the participant giving advice to the bnaver. Each participant can remain on the ship for three battles, so that we can see how you instruct for easy and more difficult brigands alike. Your success will be judged cumulatively on how you handle all three battles, porting, and of course taking off in the beginning. You will be judged on how you explain running a pillage and how to bnav in real time. Please be polite, tell any relevant jokes, or do anything to entertain us in a way that is relevant and helps us learn. There are no criteria for the judging of this category... anything goes and we will decide who gives the best practical explanations.
For this last category, pirates will be asked to make an alt on Malachite since that is where I play (or use your real pirate if your home is Mala). The purpose for this is two fold: I have people willing to pillage with me there who can provide consistent puzzling scores for each mini-pillage, and I will be able to guarantee ships and charts there to sail on. Also, by doing this we can be assured that the same rout is charted for each min-pillage. This will make also help make sure that roughly the same spawns come for each pirate who wishes to enter this category.

I would like to compile a list of chat logs from the practical part, and the entries from the other part on to a YPPedi page. Hopefully, it would be a pretty darn good place for anyone to go who wants great bnav tips and pillage tips all in one. It would kind of be a guide from the "elite" to the greenies, but all in one convenient place where they could easily access it.

Please, if anyone would like to help me out with this event, has some prizes they would like to donate, or has any other advice for me let me know!
Feel free to comment and critique. I am hoping that this event can start up sometime in July or early August, based on the prizes I can get and the little details I need to work out.

Edit1 to fix annoying boxes and spaces and rewording of request to not re-use other guides
----------------------------------------
Duende- Malachite, Hunter

Shortntarty tells ye, "my left boob has got a better shot than she does at getting famous
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Timwiles at Jun 10, 2009 10:00:26 AM]
[Jun 8, 2009 3:55:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Re: A Very Puzzled Pirate Reply to this Post

What a Great Idea!
I hope this works!
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Jun 8, 2009 4:02:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreenTail

Nice idea for an event! The three steps remind me of me own process for training officers, so I have a suggestion for the final phase. When it comes time for the mini-pillage, I take guns. That way I can see the moves me trainee is putting in. This allows me to occasionally make move suggestions, but also to identify places they need work (like they are ignoring board elements, confused about a whirlpool, etc.). If ye have the trainer lazing, they lose that ability and must just deduce what moves were placed. Watching the moves being placed can also show ye if the mate is indecisive, is having "move entry" troubles, or accidentally clicked twice to grapple. Perhaps allow the trainers to take the second bilge, or something, so they can mostly sort of laze but also see the moves?
Guppygurl, Cobalt Ocean.
[Jun 9, 2009 11:15:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

Actually thats a great idea. I have been thinking about so many things as to how to make this work that i didnt even realize that you couldnt see the moves! A second bilge is great, as we want a good gunner giving how ever many shots the "trainer" needs. Also, with sticking him her) on bilge, they can still be watching the board good enough to be able to communicate and provide instructions.

Shortntarty tells ye, "my left boob has got a better shot than she does at getting famous
[Jun 9, 2009 11:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silent_Fable

can you please preview before you post? I cant stand those lil boxes they do my head in.
Fable
"if you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you'll end up doing nothing for nobody"

[Jun 9, 2009 2:34:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

can you please preview before you post? I cant stand those lil boxes they do my head in.

Im sorry Fable i did proof read it... there aren't any boxes i dont see them?

[Jun 9, 2009 3:43:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Why:
In light of the seemingly large gap between the so called ?elite? and ?greenie? pirates...

She means these boxes. The forums can't display the angled "smart-quotes" and a few other non-standard punctuation marks used commonly in MS Word and similar programs. To post clearly on the forums, its recommended you turn off that option, use a no-frills word program like Notepad, or edit your text after posting to remove them. It's a very common problem; you are far from the first to get caught in it. But removing the boxes makes your text a lot more readable.

(Note that the punctuation boxes don't show up on "Preview"; only when you actually post will you see them.)

Edit - they alternately show up as boxes or ?'s according to some pattern that I don't quite understand. My Preview showed boxes, my post shows ?'s (to me at least). So maybe that's why you aren't seeing "boxes".
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Jun 9, 2009 6:11:29 PM]
[Jun 9, 2009 6:09:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Vylcan

I love this idea as it gets both new comers and veterans working together. As I said I will fund this event, but there is a few things need to be more practical before this event is possible
Vylcan on Malachite.

Erm don't make fun of my Russian accent or you'll be dodging cannonballs ^_^

[Jun 9, 2009 11:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

I would suggest the idea the submitting guides gives the event runners to spread them around in whole or in part, as long as credit is given. Your likely to get a lot of good information, with many points of overlap, but the best possible guide will only be created by merging multiple guides.

I'd love to get in on helping this event get off the ground, be it in form of judging, funding, or just entering a guide or three. Please let me know in PMs if there is anything I can do help out.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Jun 9, 2009 11:57:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re boxes and ?s. These are also browser dependent - I don't see any in the first post.
[Jun 10, 2009 3:45:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Deceptive

Re boxes and ?s. These are also browser dependent - I don't see any in the first post.

I see them.
I honestly don't care anymore.
[Jun 10, 2009 6:56:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

I see them.

I'm sorry if anyone can see them, I do not have them on my browser. Try switching to firefox (what I use) or pming me with a Corrected post so i can edit if it is really bothering you that much.

I would suggest the idea the submitting guides gives the event runners to spread them around in whole or in part, as long as credit is given. Your likely to get a lot of good information, with many points of overlap, but the best possible guide will only be created by merging multiple guides.

I'd love to get in on helping this event get off the ground, be it in form of judging, funding, or just entering a guide or three. Please let me know in PMs if there is anything I can do help out.

The main goal of this event is to distribute an easy to read and easy to follow guide of excellent battle navigation and pillaging tips to the global ypp community. Each pirate who contributed would get credit for there work on YPPedia. If i have time, i might also compile all of the information on an independent website to make it easier to view videos and scroll through guides. After some time and work, a generic guide might be compiled (as long as the pirates who submitted the entries agree of course), with the main points that most pirates make and a few of the finer tips included.

Thanks Nooblar, and I will be pming you.

Edit to avoid a double post

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Timwiles at Jun 10, 2009 9:06:52 AM]
[Jun 10, 2009 8:52:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

I'm sorry if anyone can see them, I do not have them on my browser. Try switching to firefox (what I use) or pming me with a Corrected post so i can edit if it is really bothering you that much.

I wouldn't worry about it for this post, but when you go to post this event for real in the Events section, it might be a good idea to type it without the smartquotes, etc, so it's easily readable by everyone. Plus, it will look a lot more professional :-)

For reference, this is what it looks like to me:

Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jun 10, 2009 9:10:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
GreenTail

The main goal of this event is to distribute an easy to read and easy to follow guide of excellent battle navigation and pillaging tips to the global ypp community.

I really feel we already have this in the sloop pillaging guide. It really details almost everything, including links to the whirlpool guide and collision mechanics. It has been me flag's policy for years to send mates who are near promotion to the Sloop Pillaging Guide to read it before their training. Then at training, we can clarify points that were confusing, give a lil pop quiz to make sure they got the main points, and expand upon it. It is too much information to just throw at someone on the fly, generally.

The main things the guide lacks are a few new features (like configuring voyage), how much rum and shot ye need, and practical tips on bnav. How to make the pillage "go" is well-covered, however. Perhaps it would save time/effort and allow for better entries if pirates could build on the sloop pillaging guide. So the first part of yer event would be slightly modified and the second part would be much shortened. If we get to assume the trainee has had time to read the guide(s) resulting from parts 1 and 2, then part 3 (the mini-pillage) can be much more focused on practical application and less on typing.

I guess me main difficulty is yer disallowing reference to guides we already have. The yppedia is a rich source of information, I link to pages in it during me training to get me mates used to referencing it. The ships page, for example, with the damage listings, is something I was told to have open every time I made a pillage. And, well, the cap'n and senior officers are not always online when a "greenie" officer is, so knowing where to look when ye can't ask someone is a very important skill.

Ok, there's me feedback, took me a day or two to mull it over, heh. I do like the idea of an event to challenge mates to train and be trained, and do it better. It did get me thinking about how I train and how I could improve it, so thanke for that :)
Guppygurl, Cobalt Ocean.
[Jun 10, 2009 9:49:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

The main goal of this event is to distribute an easy to read and easy to follow guide of excellent battle navigation and pillaging tips to the global ypp community.

I really feel we already have this in the sloop pillaging guide. It really details almost everything, including links to the whirlpool guide and collision mechanics. It has been me flag's policy for years to send mates who are near promotion to the Sloop Pillaging Guide to read it before their training. Then at training, we can clarify points that were confusing, give a lil pop quiz to make sure they got the main points, and expand upon it. It is too much information to just throw at someone on the fly, generally.

Thanks Greentail I had been struggling with that idea last night and i am glad that you brought it up. First off, i did not want to take away from what we already have in an excellent guide in YPPdia. That is not the purpose of this event. The purpose of this event is, however, to give players a chance to showcase their knowledge about YPP and and to display their teaching skills. I think even though we have a guide already, it could still be a great event for people to show what they know. If that means copying and pasting from the guide when you submit and entry, then it should be obvious and easy enough to give a lower score.
The idea is for people to bring what the normally do when training people in their own crews to the forums. If we do not end up compiling an end all be all guide for pillaging, than so be it. There are plenty of great resources out there, and i am not claiming to be pillaging's saviour as far as trying to put together a guide :P

The main things the guide lacks are a few new features (like configuring voyage), how much rum and shot ye need, and practical tips on bnav. How to make the pillage "go" is well-covered, however. Perhaps it would save time/effort and allow for better entries if pirates could build on the sloop pillaging guide. So the first part of yer event would be slightly modified and the second part would be much shortened. If we get to assume the trainee has had time to read the guide(s) resulting from parts 1 and 2, then part 3 (the mini-pillage) can be much more focused on practical application and less on typing.

Based on your points, I think it is appropriate to maybe rework the pillaging part of the competition. I like your idea of starting off at the YPPedia page, but i don't think that I should completely disregard the basics. I think what i will do is refer people to that page, and ask them to put what they feel is most important in their own words. Then, maybe add a few of their own pillaging experiances as to what works best, and things that aren't in the guide (like rumm and shot as you mentioned). We will have some repeat information, but i want to see how good people can present the information to a greenie who is just learning the ropes. There is a large difference between having the knowledge of how to do something and the ability to relate it to other. The latter is what i am really looking for in this part of the competition.

I guess me main difficulty is yer disallowing reference to guides we already have. The yppedia is a rich source of information, I link to pages in it during me training to get me mates used to referencing it. The ships page, for example, with the damage listings, is something I was told to have open every time I made a pillage. And, well, the cap'n and senior officers are not always online when a "greenie" officer is, so knowing where to look when ye can't ask someone is a very important skill.

See my edit on the first post. Thats a great point and i think i adressed it. Mainly, i did not want pirates stealing each other's guides and submitting it as their own. The wording that I chose was too harsh though, and i think that it is ok for pirates to send links, or quote things, or copy from their previous work. I did not, however, want an all out copy and paste.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! You bring up valid and true points. Let me know if you have anything else!

[Jun 10, 2009 10:54:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deceptive

I do use FireFox, and I DO seem them :P
I honestly don't care anymore.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Deceptive at Jun 10, 2009 10:32:55 PM]
[Jun 10, 2009 10:32:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

I do use FireFox, and I DO seem them :P

I have edited to fix the boxes and tried it with three different browsers. If you can still see them, deal with it and please stop cluttering a tread where I am trying to get actual feedback about an event.

[Jun 10, 2009 11:06:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smartjenny

Nor did I.
Pepperminty
SO of Serenity on Cobalt

Freak wrote: Welcome to cobalt! we all love each other. We all hate each others guts.

[Jun 24, 2009 3:40:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

Alright so after much thinking, I have decided to out the second part of the event in favor of an expanded third part. The reason being that we have a remarkably good Wiki to show new officers how to run pillages. However, some of the information in the Wiki can be tough to wade through and a little intimidating for a newer player. I value hands on learning and training, so for that reason, I am expanding the last category (the mini-pillage) to encompass a little of what i wanted to do in the second category.

here goes :)

The second category is based on your ability to translate your advice from the battle navigation contest into reality on a mini-pillage. For this last category, pirates will be asked to make an alt on Malachite since that is where I play (or use your real pirate if your home is Mala). The purpose for this is two fold: I have people willing to pillage with me there who can provide consistent puzzling scores for each mini-pillage, and I will be able to guarantee ships and charts there to sail on. Also by doing this we can be assured that the same rout is charted for each mini-pillage. This will make also help make sure that roughly the same spawns come for each pirate who wishes to enter this category. This portion of the event will take place after all entries for the battle navigation guide have been read (although not necessarily given a score) by the judges so we can be familiar with your theory on Bnav. Primarily though, this part of the event will give you the opportunity to showcase your real time teaching skills, your knowledge of leading pillages, and your communication skills.

A special crew will be made for the sole purpose of this event. When you log on, you will be made an officer, and all of the other pirates helping to puzzle in the event will be jobbed into the crew.

You go aboard a ship that has been provided for the event. Once on the ship, we will go on a three battle mini-pilage (all participants in the event will be provided with elite puzzlers in order to assure fairness and equal opportunities for moves and damage control during sea battle). However, before that happens, you will have fifteen minutes to give a brief officer training to a "greener" officer. You can talk about whatever you want during that fifteen minute period, but make sure to use your time wisely. You will be giving a full tutorial in how to chart, stock, divide booty; anything that goes into running a pillage. Everything that happens on the pillage will have a direct correlation to what you suggest. If you suggest we sail with 1 small cannonball and no rum, that is what will happen. The same rout (TBD) will be set for each contestant after charting is explained for consistency with brigands and time. If you forget to let us know about anything during your officer training and we left port without something important, than ye bootched and the judges will take that into consideration!
Feel free to send links to the Wiki, or copy and paste text that is available to the YPP community, or have prewritten training text already written. Whatever you do is up to you. Just make sure you do your best to train an officer who does not know anything about ships.

After the training is complete, we will set sail and battle three brigands. You will take the helm, and lead us on the pillage. Throughout the pillage, you will explain what you are doing and why; if you turn about, please expain. Ect. Ect. You will also be leading the bnav for the three battles. We will have read your guide, but now we get to see you perform under pressure. Please explain briefly your thinking while placing moves, LSMing, ect. We want to know why you are moving where you move and what you think the AI is going to do. Of course, you will keep all booty won during the battles, and will not be responsible for restocking. However, if it is obvious that you are intentionally using up stock or leading the ship to its death, you will be expelled from the crew and disqualified from this portion of the contest.
Please do NOT PVP intentionally during the course of the mini pillage, and doing so will result in expulsion from the crew and disqualification. If our ship is PVPd, we will reschedule your pillage to ensure for equal settings for all players.

Judging criterea for this category as follows:
-How clearly does the pirate explain his intentions while leading the pillage?
-Does the pirate give clear, precise, and complete instructions on how to run a successful pillage?
-Was the pirate successful in his battles?

If i can get a little bit more feedback on this part of the event or any problems you for-see, please let me know! I would like to send an email for support as soon as possible so i can get this up and running!

[Jun 26, 2009 8:58:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates