• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8039 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
lcawte

Bots on Y!PPedia Reply to this Post

Ahoy! I just wondered are there any bots (No player editors) on the Wiki like on Wikipedia (It has loads). If not why not? I think they could make really simple tasks alot less time using for example adding to portraits the {{portrait image}} tag or looking through all avatars and seeing if there is a forum name wrong on a tag and adding a catergory or tag of an image that needs its tag checking?
----------------------------------------
Lcawte All Oceans
Senior Officer, Privateers of Emerald Ocean. Former Governor of Barbary Island.
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of [url=tinyurl.com/lb
[Jun 8, 2009 9:18:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
amoyer

Re: Bots on Y!PPedia Reply to this Post

We have Faulkston, why would we want any stinking bot?

From what I have seen of the bots on the Wikipedia, they all work with an API and we do not have any installed here.
Cedarwings
Captain of the Crew Schmew of the Flag Schmag
Cobalt Ocean
Oceanus wrote: 
"I hear Atlantis is all fun and giggles"

[Jun 9, 2009 5:19:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

QFT

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jun 9, 2009 8:23:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

And Alfwyn. And Belthazar451. And Lcawte. And so on and so forth.
[Jun 9, 2009 9:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Several years back Bluetoes proposed a bot to keep flag and crew information on the wiki up-to-date. It was a great idea but unfortunately real life swallowed him back up before he could begin work on it.
Really, that's the only thing I can see a bot being useful for on the wiki.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fiddler at Jun 9, 2009 9:15:41 PM]
[Jun 9, 2009 9:15:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

amoyer wrote: 

Heh, I was going to say that, as soon as I could think of some amusing way to say it. Clearly the moral here is that Faulkston smells better. =)
[Jun 9, 2009 9:15:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=695213#695213
[Jun 9, 2009 9:17:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

And Alfwyn. And Belthazar451. And Lcawte. And so on and so forth.

Me? Emm odd one out there... Lcawte! Alfwyn and Belthazar are both admins... Wait *checks wiki...* nope no differences from yesterday :(

Lcawte
(Wishing he was Sysop)

P.S Faulkston did you see my indexing job for all those dreadfull userpages I made?
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 10, 2009 7:35:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
amoyer

You can always count on our forum bot to provide a link to something.
Cedarwings
Captain of the Crew Schmew of the Flag Schmag
Cobalt Ocean
Oceanus wrote: 
"I hear Atlantis is all fun and giggles"

[Jun 10, 2009 7:39:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

lcawte wrote: 
Lcawte! Alfwyn and Belthazar are both admins... Wait *checks wiki...* nope no differences from yesterday :(

Bots are the commonality.

lcawte wrote: 
P.S Faulkston did you see my indexing job for all those dreadfull userpages I made?

No?
[Jun 10, 2009 8:30:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Lol how can we be 100% sure that you guys aren't bots? hehe
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jun 10, 2009 9:53:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Turing test. =)
[Jun 11, 2009 1:18:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

lcawte wrote: 
No?

Oww... I am quite proud of it... lol its a bit different to the idea links but it works for me... PM or leave me a message for improvements
Index!
Lcawte All Oceans
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lcawte at Jun 11, 2009 7:30:38 AM]
[Jun 11, 2009 7:27:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

lcawte wrote: 
Oww... I am quite proud of it... lol its a bit different to the idea links but it works for me... PM or leave me a message for improvements
Index!

Here I was thinking of this list.
[Jun 11, 2009 7:24:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Cedarwings wrote: 

Why dont Three Rings get her to run all of the oceans? Would save alot of money on OM wages. She does seem a bit botty
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 14, 2009 11:28:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Cedarwings wrote: 

Why dont Three Rings get her to run all of the oceans? Would save alot of money on OM wages. She does seem a bit botty

Faulkston, against popular belief, is a guy.

He also likes girls.

Yes, I've proven both facts.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jun 27, 2009 2:36:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Faulkston, against popular belief, is a guy.

He also likes girls.

Yes, I've proven both facts.

Its a bit confusing lol... Her/His forum profile says girl, but in-game says guy :S Confused!
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 28, 2009 12:03:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Female is the profile default.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jun 29, 2009 12:36:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

From what I have seen of the bots on the Wikipedia, they all work with an API and we do not have any installed here.

Bots not using a specialized API could work too. I have some experience with tools automatically operating web-frontends (convert HTML to XML, use XPATH to select relevant parts seemed to be a reasonable robust way to parse pages).

I repeat the following link provided by Faulkstone earlier in this thread, since it really contains relevant discussion (especially regarding infobox updating) and shouldn't be overlooked:

A technical concern was the load a bot could add to YPPedia, it should be checked if that's still a valid reason.

Personally I'm not sure that an infobox updater would be needed (we have a yoweb link after all), but I would like something that could correct a large number of links (currently this keeps me from renaming "Jinx (flag)" to "Jinx") or that would add "preceeding unsigned comment was added by ..." notes to talk pages.
[Aug 16, 2009 6:25:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

Now that the write API is usable by anyone, adapting/using existing wiki bots is much easier and we probably should think about if we want some kind of policy regarding them. So here are just my opinions/thoughts on the matter.

I think that something like Wikipedia:Bot_policy is far too elaborated for our situation.

Bots that just do read-only information gathering jobs shouldn't need any restrictions beyond a reasonable throttling to avoid lagging the server.

Apart from that case, the most important aspect would be that it should be easy to find out who is running a specific bot, and that a user running a bot is responsible for the actions of the bot. For things more involved than single test edits it should be made clear that a particular edit was made by a bot by either mentioning it in the edit summary or using a separate bot account (which can be attributed to a non-bot account by some means).

A bot account would need the bot flag only, if it does a large amount of edits in a short time, swamping or cluttering the recent changes page in the process. If a bot does more than just a few edits, it should be clear that the community views those edits as desirable. In less than crystal-clear cases the bot task should be announced beforehand, so it can be discussed.

Any bot should be monitored by the person operating it, but it would be nice if a bot running amok can be stopped by others somewhow, short of blocking the account. A bot monitoring its talk page would be one way to achieve that.

Opinions or other thoughts ?
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Alfwyn at Sep 29, 2011 10:21:53 AM]
[Sep 29, 2011 10:20:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Now that the write API is usable by anyone, adapting/using existing wiki bots is much easier and we probably should think about if we want some kind of policy regarding them. So here are just my opinions/thoughts on the matter.

I think that something like Wikipedia:Bot_policy is far too elaborated for our situation.

Bots that just do read-only information gathering jobs shouldn't need any restrictions beyond a reasonable throttling to avoid lagging the server.

Apart from that case, the most important aspect would be that it should be easy to find out who is running a specific bot, and that a user running a bot is responsible for the actions of the bot. For things more involved than single test edits it should be made clear that a particular edit was made by a bot by either mentioning it in the edit summary or using a separate bot account (which can be attributed to a non-bot account by some means).

A bot account would need the bot flag only, if it does a large amount of edits in a short time, swamping or cluttering the recent changes page in the process. If a bot does more than just a few edits, it should be clear that the community views those edits as desirable. In less than crystal-clear cases the bot task should be announced beforehand, so it can be discussed.

Any bot should be monitored by the person operating it, but it would be nice if a bot running amok can be stopped by others somewhow, short of blocking the account. A bot monitoring its talk page would be one way to achieve that.

Opinions or other thoughts ?

Sounds good, so from the main points I picked out, sounds good :)
Lcawte All Oceans
[Oct 1, 2011 2:39:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates