• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 179
Posts: 179   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 34110 times and has 178 replies Next Thread
BlackBeth

Take Your Pirate to Work Day - Winners Posted! Reply to this Post

Just imagine...

BlackBeth and her piratey alter-ego, Feylind, have a conversation:

"Sea Monster Hunt tomorrow at noon! I want to go; you can log on, right?" asked Feylind.

"Sorry, Fey. That's too early, I'll still be at work," BlackBeth answered.

"But you just worked today! You can skip tomorrow."

BlackBeth sighed. They'd had this discussion before. "No, Fey, I can't. If I start skipping work, I'll get fired. And if I get fired, I can't pay my subscription to Y!PP. Then I would NEVER be able to take you to Atlantis."

Feylind was puzzled. "But you only get fired if you don't show up for 10 days, right?"

"No, dear," BlackBeth explained yet again. Feylind's memory didn't seem to survive reboots very well. "The real world doesn't work that way. There's no "offline" labor that happens automatically. I have to do an hour of work for every single hour I want to get paid for."

"But.. but.. what do you DO with all that time?"

"Oh, it's too hard to explain. I know!" She turned away for a second and surriptitiously scribbled something on a calendar then held it up for Feylind to see. "Look, this says that tomorrow is "Take Your Pirate To Work Day". Come with me to work and I'll show you what I do all day long."

The Event:
In your imagination, take your pirate with you for a day as you work, or go to school, or stay home to mind your children, or whatever you do with your time (besides play Y!PP). Then write a short story about your pirate's adventure in the real world. Are they fascinated by the variety of foods available at the restaurant where you work? Amazed that your office building is more than 2 stories tall? Confused that your Geography teacher has no clue where Viridian Ocean is? What sort of trouble can your pirate get into? Think about the differences between the magic world of Y!PP and the real world, and how a pixel pirate might react.

General Rules:
* Entries - One entry per person.
* Length - Stories (title included) must be 1000 words or less, as judged by <THIS> word counter or by <THIS OTHER ONE>. A story must be 1000 words or less by either (or both) counters to be valid. There is no minimum length requirement.
* Names - For the pirate in your story, please use a pirate name that belongs to you or one you have recieved permission from it's owner to use. For yourself, you may use any name you choose (account name, your first name, a name you made up, etc).
* Setting - the story should be set at a workplace/school/someplace that fits the theme of the event.

How To Enter:
Post your entry in the <ENTRY THREAD>.
Your post must include the following:
- Your pirate name and ocean where you would like to recieve prizes.
- Your short story.
- A list of the prizes in order of preference, if different than the standard order below.

Deadline:
All entries are due by Saturday June 27th at 11:59:59PM game time. Any entry posted or edited after that time will be disqualified.

Prizes:
Zookeeper's Prize - Peach Octopus
Chef's Prize - Salad Bowl (Ancient Pottery artifact furniture)
Naval Officer's Prize - Awesome Jobfish (renamed sloop)
Beautician's Prize - Peach comb trinket
Florist's Prize - Peach daisies trinket
Programmer's Prize - Y!PP Mousepad
Accountant's Prize - furniture package (Fancy desk, fancy chair, notebooks, scroll)
Seamstress' Prize - pirate flag furniture
Bartender's Prize - peach stein

Depending on the number of entries, there may be Honorable mention prizes.

Judging:
Stories will be judged based on the following general criteria. Failing to meet all of the technical criteria will result in a disqualification.

Technical
-- Are pirate name and ocean included in the entry post?
-- Does the story have 1000 words or less?
-- Does the story fit the general theme of the event?
Authorship
-- Does the story have good grammar, spelling, and punctuation?
-- Is the story well written?
-- Does it have a plot?
Game Connection
-- Does the story highlight differences between the real world and Y!PP?
Creativity
-- Was the story original and interesting?
Overall Impression
-- Did you enjoy it?

FAQ:
Do you have any advice to offer about entries?
I recommend this Yppedia page, which contains many useful hints for preparing and posting entries. I especially suggest reading the section on how to avoid punctuation boxes.

Do I have to take my pirate to my real job? Or can I make one up?
I have no way of checking if your story is about your current job, and I think it's silly to have requirements that are impossible to enforce. I do recommend that you choose a "workplace" for your story that is something you are familiar with, rather than something completely made up. It will be more believable that way.

Can I include illustrations with my story?
Sorry, this is strictly a writing event. No pictures, please.
Time zones confuse me. When exactly is the deadline?
The deadline is June 27 at 11:59:59PM game time, which is Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). You can do a /info in game to see and compare your local time to game time. To provide other points of reference, for those on the east coast of the US the deadline is at 2:59:59am EDT (on June 28) and to those in the UK it is 7:59:59am BST (also June 28).

Where'd the artwork for the spiffy event banner come from?
Cannonade drew me the avatar. Ain't it pretty? More examples of her work can be found HERE. I then extended the background, with her permission, to make a banner.
----------------------------------------
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Edit 5 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Aug 1, 2009 11:55:54 AM]
[Jun 4, 2009 1:29:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Re: Take Your Pirate to Work Day - Win an Octopus Reply to this Post

That sounds cool, so basicly can I use my alt cause my Pirate is Lcawte and My Forum Acc is Lcawte or do I have to use my real name?

Edit: Is this a OM sponsered event due to the fact there is Familair and a sloop?
Lcawte All Oceans
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of Scottish Seakings
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lcawte at Jun 4, 2009 1:43:21 PM]
[Jun 4, 2009 1:39:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

That sounds cool, so basicly can I use my alt cause my Pirate is Lcawte and My Forum Acc is Lcawte or do I have to use my real name?

* Names - For the pirate in your story, please use a pirate name that belongs to you or one you have recieved permission from it's owner to use. For yourself, you may use any name you choose (account name, your first name, a name you made up, etc).
Feylind

[Jun 4, 2009 1:42:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
chigaga_YPP

Nice event, can't wait to get started!
Chigaga
[Jun 4, 2009 1:55:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I haven't entered a writing event in ages - I might have to enter this one, though, it sounds very fun.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jun 4, 2009 2:09:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Outspoken1

First time in a long time I've entered a writing competition. Its been at least 2 years lol.
Had a fun time writing it. Win or not thanks for the event :) I had a good time writing :)
Rupture of the Sage Ocean
[Jun 4, 2009 3:37:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

My workmates wouldn't mind hehe
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jun 4, 2009 3:43:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
keirachan

Will this take less than 7+ months to judge?

>_>
Axemaniac on Cobalt.
Hera tells ye, "Oceanus is lots of fun! I suspect he was frightened of both the 'Axe' and the 'maniac' in yer name :)"
[Jun 4, 2009 5:39:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Will this take less than 7+ months to judge?

>_>

Judging is anticipated to take about one month.
Feylind

[Jun 4, 2009 7:34:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Azagh

or whatever you do with your time (besides play Y!PP).

what if playing ypp is all we do......
Azagh of the Viridian 2006- 2015

MIA - Smirnoff (tan octo), Outgoing Stickleback (first ship), Time bandit (Favorite ship), Northwestern, Glenfiddich & Buffalo Trace (my shoppes) and my Galene doll won in the indy 50.0
[Jun 4, 2009 9:37:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
RayvynRoze

I love you.
Alethia on Midnight
Senior Officer
Tyr's Own

"One might say that there are occasions in which barrelstoppery is best combatted with bigger and better barrelstoppery."
[Jun 4, 2009 11:44:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jzasia

Just curious, but can or should we include a picture of our pirate? I realize the picture is not for judging, and I'm not thinking of anything fancy, but given the 1000 word limit, it seems like it might be useful to the judges to have an idea of who they're reading about.

And what a fun event! Thanks Fey!
rune of malachite

* fabulous avatar by the lovely Falmari
[Jun 5, 2009 6:45:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jzasia [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Just curious, but can or should we include a picture of our pirate? I realize the picture is not for judging, and I'm not thinking of anything fancy, but given the 1000 word limit, it seems like it might be useful to the judges to have an idea of who they're reading about.

And what a fun event! Thanks Fey!

No pictures, please. This is strictly a writing event. Using the text to give the judges a good picture of the characters is part of the challenge.
Feylind

[Jun 5, 2009 8:27:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Edit: Is this a OM sponsered event due to the fact there is Familair and a sloop?

Yes. And to the follow-up question: yes, prizes are available on all oceans, (though if the winner of the sloop hails from Opal, the ship name will be changed to something appropriate in German).

P.S. If people have additional questions, please make a new post with them; I am likely to miss them if they are edited into posts I have already answered.
Feylind

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Jun 5, 2009 8:37:19 AM]
[Jun 5, 2009 8:36:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Shanglan

Will ye be countin' an exaggeratedly piratey manner o' speakin' as correct grammar, provided that it properly obey the rules o' its own dialect?
[Jun 5, 2009 11:46:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Will ye be countin' an exaggeratedly piratey manner o' speakin' as correct grammar, provided that it properly obey the rules o' its own dialect?

Of course! Pirates speaking like pirates is perfectly acceptable.
Feylind

[Jun 5, 2009 1:55:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Krakatoa24

First of all, love the wonderful banner.

Secondly, would we be penalized/disqualified if we're over the word limit by say 10 words?
[Jun 5, 2009 3:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanglan

Thank ye for an outstandin'ly interestin' contest and for yer swift response to questions. I had a blast writin' me entry, and I can't wait to read more.

Shanglan
[Jun 5, 2009 3:22:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

First of all, love the wonderful banner.

Secondly, would we be penalized/disqualified if we're over the word limit by say 10 words?

Yes. The word limit is just that. I provided a link to the word counter I will be using so you can test your entry before posting it. Any entry more than 1000 words long will be disqualified.
Feylind

[Jun 5, 2009 3:49:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
JamesChatham

Wonderful idea!

Is there a limit on violence that can be displayed in our story?
Miles Davis wrote: 
Where's the cocaine???

[Jun 6, 2009 7:27:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Exhile

Oh my! School just got out and now i have to think about it again!?
lol Sounds extremely awesome!

"What be those big funny things between yer eyes?"

And are we supposed to pick our prize? or put them in the order we want them? Cuz they are not labeled.

Will be entering!
-Ex
Exhile From Hunter

Senior Officer in Igneous pneuma!!
[Jun 6, 2009 8:41:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Wonderful idea!

Is there a limit on violence that can be displayed in our story?

Story content should be forum appropriate. Think PG-13 rating.

And are we supposed to pick our prize? or put them in the order we want them? Cuz they are not labeled.

To quote the entry thread:

Your post must include the following:
- Your pirate name and ocean where you would like to recieve prizes.
- Your short story.
- A list of the prizes in order of preference, if different than the standard order below.
Feylind

[Jun 6, 2009 9:22:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
rubystar123

Awesome idea =D
I look forward to entering!
[Jun 6, 2009 6:47:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shakhan34

Wait how do we summit it?? On the forums? if yes where on the forums and cann u do this if u r on the Viridian Ocean.
[Jun 7, 2009 7:47:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanglan

How To Enter:
Post your entry in the <ENTRY THREAD>.

Ye just follow the link to the thread, then reply to that thread. Not to this one - to the one the link takes ye to. :)

Shanglan
[Jun 7, 2009 7:50:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shakhan34

cant people just copy you?
[Jun 7, 2009 7:57:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shakhan34

and btw i think this contest is a great idea and is going to be fun. and btw s there a participantation prize?
[Jun 7, 2009 8:20:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Coolnight

How we will know if we have won or not? I had much fun making my entry :)
Eberge, Hunter Ocean
[Jun 7, 2009 8:23:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

cant people just copy you?

While it's entirely possible that someone can copy your entry, it's going to be obvious to everyone that they did so. I actually had one of my writing contest entries copied a couple years ago; he was quite promptly flamed and disqualified.

The judges and event runners are very good at weeding out cheaters. :)
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jun 7, 2009 9:35:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Regarding copying, what she said. Plagiarism of another story in the same contest would be blazingly obvious, and any such stories will be disqualified.

and btw s there a participantation prize?

Only the winners will recieve prizes. There are likely to be 50-100 entries; I can't afford something for everyone :-)

How we will know if we have won or not? I had much fun making my entry :)

Glad you enjoyed it. The deadline for entries isn't for another three weeks, and after that it will take about a month for the judges to sort through all the entries and pick the winners. The title of this post will be changed to include "Winners Announced" so you will know when the results are up.
Feylind

[Jun 7, 2009 9:45:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 179   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates