• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15276 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Not A Couple edition [results posted] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:

The theme for this background contest is "Two pirates"! It's simple enough! Many of our 2-pirate portrait backgrounds have been romantic in style, and we'd like to see some different options in the backgrounds available for two-pirate portraits. The theme and content are your choice - perhaps have a think about normal portrait locations, the kind of people you might want a portrait with, the kind of occasions when you might want 2-pirate portraits, the kind of mood most likely to appeal; should it be fun? formal? friendly? cosy? neutral? celebratory? businesslike? In some ways, it's more difficult if you're not given a distinct theme, and in some ways it's easier, as it gives you a lot of scope to work with. You may even want to go back over previous contest entries to see if any past work of yours might be right for this one!

One (exciting!) new possibility is that I asked last month, after a post in the May contest, whether it might be possible to have two pirates facing away from each other rather than either towards each other or standing next to each other. It can be done! So have a think about what could be done with that orientation - perhaps an action movie backdrop that two dueling pirates could be standing in front of? I'm seeing swords drawn, melee, scuffles and mayhem in the background... if only I could draw! *grins* I understand that the pirates will stand slightly further away from each other than normal, because of where the pets would stand, and there's an approximation of the layout here, with the caveat that they may find it necessary to tweak again before the final one!

Please put in your forum post if you've designed your background for a particular pirate orientation (i.e. facing in, side by side, facing out) - otherwise, the arrrtists will use their judgement for this.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale for 2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail.

Please put "notcouplecontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{notcouplecontest-Portrait|Forumname}} (where "Forumname" is replaced by your own forum name!)

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates mousepad and playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean or indigo, but can be black or gold. In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the mousepad and playing cards if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
June 30th 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.

Also, take note of the way
some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Jul 5, 2009 4:51:58 PM]
[Jun 2, 2009 12:56:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Not A Couple edition [deadline 30th June 2009] Reply to this Post

Oh! I might enter my first ever Portrait Background contest, art isnt really my thing but I will give it a shot. First attempt: Using the pirate cut out develop some sort of background and find some shading
Lcawte All Oceans
Senior Officer, Privateers of Emerald Ocean. Former Governor of Barbary Island.
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of [url=tinyurl.com/lb
[Jun 2, 2009 2:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Not A Couple edition [deadline 30th June 2009] Reply to this Post

Hmmm.... I think life may actually be calm enough for me to enter this one. :D

Now for ideas.... /-q
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

*Current Avi by Scheherazade*
[Jun 2, 2009 5:45:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

1. Yer just flippin' the pirate portraits at they are, aye? So the two pirates may appear to be lit from different directions?

2. Can both pirates be me? There's the potential for good pirate/bad pirate type backgrounds, and ye never know, some pirates might like flashing their light and dark side (with apt dress) in the same image.

In any case, sounds like a giggle.
SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Jun 2, 2009 6:10:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

hmmm....sounded to me like they'd either be back to back (in profile) or face to face (in profile)....right? I'm working on an idea with one of those in mind. Did I understand the new poses correctly?
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jun 2, 2009 6:32:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

Just curious, is there available, or will there be created, masks for the 2 optional poses? (pirates facing each other, pirates facing away from each other)
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

[Jun 2, 2009 10:40:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

One (exciting!) new possibility is that I asked last month, after a post in the May contest, whether it might be possible to have two pirates facing away from each other rather than either towards each other or standing next to each other.

zomgbbq i did that! i iz speshul.
<3

Glad to see you back Apollo!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jun 3, 2009 6:14:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Ok I know its a bit early to post a WIP, but I need some coments on the colouring

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3591991187_ff8483cf22_o.png

Blue = Sunny Sky
Yellow = Nice Sand

If you can suggest any HTML colour codes as well would help.

Edit: I Use GIMP, dont have a drawing table and my mouse isnt very steady
Lcawte All Oceans
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lcawte at Jun 3, 2009 9:18:46 AM]
[Jun 3, 2009 9:16:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

hmmm....sounded to me like they'd either be back to back (in profile) or face to face (in profile)....right? I'm working on an idea with one of those in mind. Did I understand the new poses correctly?

I don't think there will really be 'new' poses, just flipped ones, like Harlech said. For instance:

In normal two pirate backgrounds they both face the same direction like so:

While for some two person portraits, most notably the valentine's mushy ones, the leftmost pirate is flipped so they face each other like so:

I assume the 'back to back' version would simply be the opposite of that face to face one, rather than entirely new artwork.
Squee!
[Jun 3, 2009 9:48:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I've added a link to a mock-up of the two-pirate back-to-back layout, in the first post.

No, the two pirates can't both be you. :)
[Jun 3, 2009 2:26:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Here's a cutout for anyone wanting one. I did a sloppy job, but it'll work!

Preview:

Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Jun 3, 2009 2:46:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Thanx =)
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jun 4, 2009 12:48:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

Template made and ready for to use
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 4, 2009 7:50:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

/e has some tweaks planned for her Cursed isles double portrait then it will be submited for this too... it is a 2 person >.>
Cambiata,
~Currently pillaging the Obsidian Ocean~
from the Viridian (now Meridian) ocean

[Jun 4, 2009 11:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Yay! So glad to hear that you're resubmitting it. It is so good, and we really, really need a cursed isle background. Good luck!

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jun 4, 2009 11:34:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I think i might do a wave about to come wet the two ppl hehehehehehehehehehe
[Jun 4, 2009 3:38:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

Definitely approve of Cambiata resubmitting the CI one, I was heartbroken when it got cast aside for the mushier ones in the Vday contest.
Squee!
[Jun 4, 2009 9:24:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

What size paper does anyone reccomend for hand drawing this first? Or doesnt it matter? Anyone have any comments for my WIP Progress I posted on the first page?
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 5, 2009 7:48:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Scruffbag initial sketch. This time I'll try a background which isn't secretly a foreground. I'm hammering away at fixing my after the battle entry, I'll finish it this weekend.

Lcawte, I tend to do a whole series of thumbnail sketches of different layouts. They're usually less than 3" on a side. Once the balance is right, I draw a larger one in pencil, edit for a while, and then ink it. I've only done single pirate portraits, but I usually draw them about ten inches high.

My only comment on your initial colors is: familiarize yourself with layers in gimp. Keep the sky, sea, and beach as separate layers at the base of your stack. Once you've fleshed out the foreground, then you can worry about what colors make the most sense. As they are separate layers, you'll be able to change them easily.

(To be fair, I'm a form-first color-second type. It'd be entirely possible to choose colors first, I suppose.)
[Jun 5, 2009 4:19:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Nice sketch Molasses! :D

Ok, just getting started, but what do you think of this idea? Not sure yet whether it will just be a night at the Inn...or a bar fight!

Obviously I haven't done any work on the foreground or background, and everything is still very rough...this is just a preliminary idea.

Comments/feedback on the idea are appreciated.

[Jun 5, 2009 5:02:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

LOL! I love the passed out drunk pirate hehe =D.
[Jun 6, 2009 2:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Ok, I've gotten a basic plan (Even a name XD) but I';m having trouble with my cannons, and since they are the focal point of my work, I want some advice. Also, should I rotate? Here is my basic sketch, and by rotate, I mean have the cannons on each side of the pirates, along with a few in the background.

PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jun 6, 2009 8:43:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Maybe flatten it a bit - like make the horizon line lower. I like it tho =)
[Jun 6, 2009 4:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Here is another version, I'll be working on both, if can get them finished in time.

Can someone give me advice on the front cannons and an Idea of how to make the back ones?

Thanks!
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jun 7, 2009 7:01:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I like that one better than the last one - it would be really cool if the ppl in it were holding cannon balls lol. I'm not that good at giving advice, but I'd try putting the horizon bit lower and trying to get a bit more of a perspective effect with the planks. I like the colours of the sky.

Ad =)
[Jun 7, 2009 11:21:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Here y'are, Master15S.

First off, it would be worth it to find a tutorial on single-point perspective, and to practice drawing a few cylinders and boxes. I don't have the patience to explain the basics of perspective here, but if yer read up a bit and have questions, I'm happy to help. Plus, I've labeled the vanishing point and horizon line in both drawings.

In both images, I've drawn the pairs of port/starboard cannons as cuts from the same long cylinder. Both ships have a flat rectangular deck with a rectangular railing. Technically, the prow of the ship at left should curve in to a point, rather than extend off into the horizon like railroad tracks. Fortunately, you've cleverly placed the mast so that it hides this complicated part.

Of course, the cylinders in both sketches are just basic outlines. You'd want to shape 'em a bit more into cannons.

*Note I used a camera rather than my scanner to digitize these images, so they're a bit skewed. If ye really want unskewed versions, holler and I'll scan 'em when I can.
[Jun 9, 2009 1:01:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

Okay, so life got in the way again, and I likely won't be able to enter after all. Guess I'll have to settle for con-crit. Maybe I'll have time to alter my "Raining Poe" portrait for entry. *sigh*

Not sure if anyone was looking for ideas or not, but I had actually planned on doing was a "Palace Pet Shoppe". I mean, all of our pets must come from somewhere, right? :)
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

[Jun 9, 2009 4:06:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

A sketch I did, I am not a very good artist, I will need to resize this and stuff:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2424/3616231453_20b5ce2243_b.jpg
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 11, 2009 7:59:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Lcawte, I think you need lots more detail in that background. Colours will make it more interesting, but just a plain beach with a shovel and a palm tree is still a little dull. If the shovel is for burying/digging up a treasure, maybe you could add the treasure box and a hole and a pile of sand, a boat on the shore, more plants and different kind of textures (i mean something not just plain sand - stones or seashells or something :D), maybe sea with a ship or other islands in the distance - it's all up to your imagination! Some of the detail should also be closer to the foreground. It looks weird if there's a lot of empty space between the pirates and everything else in the portrait.
Hope that helped you to get some ideas!
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Jun 12, 2009 5:49:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lcawte

ya lol thanks I will work on it this weekend or somthin
Lcawte All Oceans
[Jun 12, 2009 8:04:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates