• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2190 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Harlech

Event Deadlines Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates,

Can we choose another standard for defining deadlines other than game time or forum time? When I'm logged into the forum, times are GMT. When I'm logged out, times are PST. This is a pretty constant source of confusion.

Typically, event organizers seem to intend PST (California time). As entrants are typically logged in, forum time is booched (GMT-- eight hours fast). And as game time suggests forum time, I'd say that's misleading as well. So can we just say PST?

Maybe this'll halt the fairly common posts and PMs "So and so entered after the deadline".

Thanks organizers.

Please excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere. Certainly, nobody adheres to it.
----------------------------------------
SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Jun 1, 2009 5:20:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Re: Event Deadlines Reply to this Post

You can set your forum time zone to whatever you want...it doesn't have to be GMT. And I've never seen people run a half-way decent (meaning, not a misspelled piece of crap) forum event on any time besides PST. Game time is forum time, for event runners.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Jun 1, 2009 5:24:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Thanks Aethera.

On my profile under "My current information" there is no time zone listed. It's not until I opt to change my information that I see a time zone. So I incorrectly assumed I couldn't change it. I'll take most of the credit for the mistake. :)

To be fair, though, I'm not the only one in the boat. I've read six or seven confused comments and PMs about missed deadlines as a result of the GMT default.

Maybe it's time to flatten the earth.
SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[Jun 1, 2009 5:41:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

If they ask, I always advise people to use pirate time (game time) as the deadline. PST (or PDT) is fine also, as long as you get it right depending on the date! Game time is clear, though, and everyone has access to the game and the /info command to check game time!
[Jun 2, 2009 2:42:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

For forum events, I always assumed that listing pirate/Pacific time was sufficient. Don't most people know how many hours apart game time are from their local time? And I guess part of the reason that it doesn't seem urgent is that it mostly affects those trying to enter at the last second, anyway.

For in game events where everyone needs to be there right at one specific time, I tend to list the time in game time, EST/EDT and GMT/BST.

I admit they do get confusing sometimes; I got caught out as a bad Event Runner just this spring when Daylight Savings time hit and I'd forgotten to warn people.
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jun 2, 2009 8:51:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I kinda hate it when ppl put times other than Game Time, because then I have to look up their time and see how it is different from mine, and I always seem to be slightly out somehow lol. Game Time is easy - /info lol
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jun 8, 2009 4:05:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

I'm from the UK, The only time am liable to get confused is when the US is on summer time and the UK is not.

While OOO are not able to standardize the clock change times throught the world the situation is made more confusing by the fact that most time features in YPP in a guess at my local time of pirate time +8 (which is incorrect about 4 weeks per year).

Pirate time would be much clearer if things such as vessel records, chat logs, and forum posts were all quoted in pirate time
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jun 9, 2009 4:47:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates