• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 66
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6110 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
Tamsin

[Fin] Contest: Where in yer world? - Results Posted! Reply to this Post

We know you see the carpentry puzzle in bathroom tiles?and you?ve been to parties more crowded than the Alpha docks ? but just how much of Midnight do you see in the world around you?

How to enter:

This one?s a little different than the other creative contests ? what we?re looking for are your photographs. Not screenshots either ? dig through that shoebox for your vacation pictures or better yet - go outside and take pictures around your hometown. The catch is ? it has to somehow tie in to one (or more!) of the islands within the Midnight Ocean. Think of it as a travelogue of sorts. Perhaps you live in a big city that reminds you of the bustling metropolis of Alpha? Maybe you?re more of a woodsy type and live near the forests of Chaparral. Do you spend your winter sipping drinks on the beaches of Cleopatra?s Pearls or making snow angels down on Flow? And please, don?t feel you have to limit yourself to landforms. Take pictures of ships, shoppes, sheep, sugar cane?really anything that you?ve seen while exploring in Midnight ? on land or at sea!

And while your picture may be worth more than a thousand words ? we?d still like you to add some. Words that is. Really convince us that what we?re looking at is really a piece of Midnight. You can use any format of words & photographs you like, but your entry must include both ? so write a travel column, send us a postcard, put together a scrapbook, or just provide captions for your photos. The only format we?re ruling out is tabloid ? in other words, use all the photo editing tools you want to clean up your entries, but ?Pancake wearing bunnies trample local Apothecary Stall!? (amusing as it may be) isn?t going to fly. If you have questions as to acceptable entry formats/content? feel free to ask here, or PM me.

Rules:

1) All entries must be in no later than 11:59 PM PST November 30th, 2004
2) All material within the entry must be your own work. You may collaborate with other pirates (a writer & photographer could join forces), but understand that if you win you will be sharing your prize.
3) Entries must consist of both photographs and words ? a minimum of one word & one photo constitutes an entry, the maximum entry size is 800 words and eight (8) photographs.
4) You may submit as many as three unique entries.
5) All entries should be posted to this thread. Please use your best judgement on this. If your text is extra long or you?ve chosen an unusual format ? please provide a weblink. Do NOT post full size photos. If you want to include photos within the thread, scale them down to no larger than 300x300 ? otherwise use a weblink. If you?re in need of hosting, xs.to, imageshack, and Photobucket all offer free image hosting (with limitations). If you?re really having a tough time ? email your entry to me (before the deadline!) as an attachment and we?ll see what we can do.

Judging:

We?ve assembled a panel of artists, photographers, writers, and all-around experts on all things Midnight to narrow down the entires to a group of finalists. All prizes will be awarded by an outside (non-player, non-biased) party. We?re looking not only at your photography & writing talents, but your creativity, originality, and accuracy!

Prizes:

There are 4 fabulous travel prizes that are up for grabs:

-Set sail in style in your brand new cutter! The Picturesque Album is this year?s latest model (complete with moonroof!). It'll look oh-so-good after an 18K paint shopping spree!

-You?ll never have to ask for directions again with a complete set of charts for the Midnight ocean! (Nemo = )

-Travel at the speed of a mouse click with a year?s supply of whisking potions! (That?s 1 whisk a day for 365 days or ~41 potions.)

-Late-breaking fourth prize! Picture yourself at the helm of the loveliest maroon & white sloop you've ever seen - the Photogenic Snapper![/list:u:c8fbeac94f]

1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced in this thread after the contest & judging have ended. The 1st place winner will be allowed to pick any of the three prizes, then the 2nd place winner will choose from the remaining two. The lucky 3rd place winner will receive whatever lovely prize is left. Thanks to the lovely Artemis, this changes slightly with the new sloop in the mix.

That?s it! Feel free to ask any questions in the thread or via PM. Fair winds and smooth sailing ? now get to work on those entries!

Edited to up the number of photos per entry from 6 to 8.
    Edited to add the prize ship name, the new prize ship, and change the thread title
    Edited to change the thread title and note that the snapper is maroon and white, not red and white.

----------------------------------------
    It's gingerbread and we love it.
    [Edit 5 times, last edit by Tamsin at Nov 9, 2004 2:50:40 AM]
[Nov 9, 2004 2:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

Re: [Fin] Contest: Where in yer world? - Results Posted! Reply to this Post

wow, what a very unique and wonderful contest! Good idea :)

Also, I can't draw all that well, so all the art contests get me down, I DO however have an edge with photography, so this makes me happy :) Thank you for contest and count me in!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Nov 10, 2004 4:47:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Are photo manipulations okay?
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Nov 10, 2004 5:10:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
CatDoc

heh Reply to this Post

Awesome prizes, Don Pardo.

Is there a home version of the game or a years supply of Rice-a-Roni the San Francisco treat?
Seatiger, proud owner of Thalia
Footstool to Eris, Goddess of Dischord
Founder and Senior Officer, The Spanish Inquisition
[Nov 10, 2004 5:41:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http:// www.catdoc.biz [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

xagoloth wrote: 
Are photo manipulations okay?

Yes, providing that what's being manipulated is your own work and that they look realistic (like actual photos).

Rice-a-roni, eh? That spawns on the same island as the Lee Press-on nails, right?
[Nov 10, 2004 12:51:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iblendin

Arrrr me spring break last year... Reply to this Post

The quality is super poor... so if you want the *large* file... find somewhere I can host it? and i'll send it over... or I can send each seperate image...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/iblendin/PuzzlePirates/myspringbreak.jpg
Yyargg
Senior Officer of Radical Dreamers - Midnight
Senior Officer of Shades of Evil - Viridian
[Nov 11, 2004 12:30:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://tepserver.ucsd.edu/~wsolomon    alphabetaace    waltsez [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

Arrg, Yyargg! Lovely work mate - I'm a mite bit confused though. Are the groupings 3 separate entries, or is the whole thing 1 entry? I set the rules up so's there'd be a maximum of 6 pictures...any chance you could clarify things for the judging panel? Of course, if folks think 6 is too few I'm happy to flex the rules a bit.

As for the pictures themselves - it's up to you. I'm not sure what software you're using to compress them. If you'd like to link to or send the full-res along so we can see all the detail, that'd be fine.

Now as for the rest of you, what's yer excuse? 2 weeks left...More entries please!
[Nov 15, 2004 11:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iblendin

Ah well I made the whole thing a while back (it was last year's spring break) and so I guess I always just thought of it as one giant collage (with captions)

But if it's breaking the rules I can just nix a few of the pics (don't need ALL the heph forge pics nor the tats)

I didn't bother to really work the original thing down to a decent file size... it was my desktop for a long while (1280x1024) but uploading to photobucket made me shrink it to 250k (ewwwww) so it lost a bit of quality...

If you want particulars enlarged or something or want to discuss it more out of thread feel free to contact me any of the ways listed in my profile ^_^

Yyargg
Yyargg
Senior Officer of Radical Dreamers - Midnight
Senior Officer of Shades of Evil - Viridian
[Nov 16, 2004 4:48:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://tepserver.ucsd.edu/~wsolomon    alphabetaace    waltsez [Link]  Go to top 
ianswoody

Hmm... must be skellies on this island!

The ruins at Eta!

Dying of thirst, I was lucky enough to have this lovely pirate point me in the right direction.

Irish Pirates?!? I hope there's not rum involved! (Oh who am I kidding? Of course there will be.)

A ship shoppe's work is never done.

The cannons of Alpha!

And finally, Pumpernickel's usual POV of an Imperial brigand.

Pumpernickel, Captain - Kamikaze Guppies, Prince & Official Fonzie of the Looterati

Ruby:... AYYYYYYY!!!
[Nov 16, 2004 7:41:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.omahype.com    Atwood333 [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

My first entry:

A Requiem for Lost Colors

The only text is the title, and I've got eight images instead of six, but given the topic, I think it's necessary. Let me know if I need to edit my entry.

Teaser image, to convince you to check it out:

Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Nov 17, 2004 3:19:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2cucry

Nothing like a Cutter sailing into the bay at Oyster Arghhh...

As well as being Docked at ye Home Port Yarrrr!!!

And Me own Personal Pic of me own Crew's Name The Bluenose Replica Unpainted of course, as i need poe to buy the paint

ZZZzzzzz... Need i say more

And well Ye all know or may have seen this pic.. I can not claim it as me own, but after looking at it, How could it be passed up, and please do not add this to my pics for this contest, but I must show this as It is the Best Pirate pic i've seen.

http://img124.exs.cx/img124/6225/old_pirate1.jpg
Anderson

Captain of the crew The Bluenoser's
Admiral of the Navy

Matrix says

"if you really wanna be loved try beat andy in ANYTHING, please were running out of ideas"

[Nov 17, 2004 9:03:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

You can see my contest entry over here.

Cruise lines hand out a flyer like this one for every port of call that you land at, providing a map, outlining your activity choices and directing you to whichever shoppes are giving them the most kickbacks.

The text on the page is 559 words, plus a couple few extras that are embedded in images.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Nov 18, 2004 11:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

Entry #1 Reply to this Post

This was from when I cut my finger open at work once, and had to go get stitches, while I was waiting for the doctor to stitch me up I had to keep gauze on the wound, and low and behold when it was removed, The blood from my cut had shaped a sail boat! I of course kept it because it reminded me of Y!PP, and just because it was cool :)

These two pictures, though blurry, and hard to see, are actually pictures of my highschool mascott. Is it wrong he was a pirate? Am I scarred for life?

Alpha Port what?

Another Busy port.

All hair bunns officially remind me of the Y!PP hairbunns

EDIT: Added pictures to conclude this entry
Liliene on Cerulean
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Frostburnx at Nov 19, 2004 2:38:16 PM]
[Nov 19, 2004 2:38:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Smolder

Frostburnx wrote: 
I of course kept it.

Yuckie!
-Harding
[Nov 19, 2004 2:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
millroy

Skellies in the freaky stonhenge thingy on winter solstice.
(Find the silhouet btw, i made the picture and even i thought it was hidden pretty good.)
*edit, okay, when it's big like that probably not that well hidden but hell...
Argos
[Nov 20, 2004 7:12:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

The residents of Turtle island have taken time out of their busy schedules to remind you that there is only one week left to get your entries in!

Amazing work so far - but where's your entry? Think of the photo-starved turtles! Think of the prizes!

I'm about to edit the original rules to up the number of photos per entry to eight in order to accomodate the wishes of the current entrants. If you have questions, don't hesitate to post here or contact me via PM. Now pick up those cameras, and get to work!
[Nov 22, 2004 11:50:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black__beard

dont even bother commenting :D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by black__beard at Nov 23, 2004 12:04:57 AM]
[Nov 23, 2004 12:04:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black__beard

Arr, this ship be me cutter setting sail from spring island

Arr this be a birds eye view of the busy emperor island

This be me war brig putting into port on alpha island

Billions of blistering blue barnacles!! its the ghost ship :O!!!

When i win, my name ingame is Firestream, and my email adress is al_quaeda_suxors@hotmail.com
[Nov 23, 2004 12:05:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

I actually do have an entry for this, I just have to wait for my sister-in-law to get the photos from her camera to her computer. (As an aside, what free file severs would folks recommend? I've temporarily lost access to my usual.)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Nov 23, 2004 5:29:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Oh how i wish i had my photos online, don't have a scanner and since i moved out of my folks home when they moved I don't know anyone who has one. I use to live in Europe (mainly england) and have so many photos of taverns, old buildings, ships, countryside, etc... lets just say they all take up 11 photo albums (150-300 per) lol. Grrrr.....maybe just maybe i can find someone before the deadline.
[Nov 23, 2004 5:37:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

Re: Contest: Where in yer world? | Deadline November 30th Reply to this Post

For Kargach: xs.to, imageshack, and Photobucket all offer free image hosting (with varying limitations).

For Serinno: I hear Kinko's has scanners.

Keep 'em comin'!
[Nov 23, 2004 8:12:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Sadly we don't have one, we have an office depot but they charge quite a bit....and i'm kinda broke with the holidays. lol
[Nov 23, 2004 11:43:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Miz_Kaos

Our Piratin' Adventures Reply to this Post

Bastarda and Dracoscurra's Piratin' Adventures. Click LIST VIEW to see our piratey descriptions!

http://groups.msn.com/PiratesHaven/shoebox.msnw

Enjoy!
Bastarda
Captain of Victory not Vengeance

Flying Independent

Queen of Halloween
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Miz_Kaos at Nov 26, 2004 8:27:32 AM]
[Nov 26, 2004 8:27:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MistressKaos    Bartendrixkaos [Link]  Go to top 
StoneKrush

Things have progressed a little since the days of pirates, there is now a regular bus route to XI...

http://salmonsfiles.savefile.com/images/theBUStoXI.jpg
SALMON from Cobalt- on Shanty Raidio
The Cross-Dressing Pirate
Salmon says, "Ahoy again"
Cleaver says, "Hello scumbag"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by StoneKrush at Nov 27, 2004 9:11:23 PM]
[Nov 27, 2004 9:11:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.shantyraidio.com/    ShantySalmon [Link]  Go to top 
Nitasim

ARGHHHH I only just found this I don't know if I have time to work on it

*runs out with Camera*

I'll be back in YPP once I've gone camera mad.
[Nov 27, 2004 9:31:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jester21

Jest-an-Entry Reply to this Post

(btw: her name really is Kari, hence the joke)
Why do people think Pirates are Evil? Cuz they ARrrrrrr!
[Nov 28, 2004 5:48:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

StoneKrush wrote: 
This have progressed a little since the days of pirates, there is now a regular bus route to XI...

*laughs*
Crystalclaws of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Nov 29, 2004 12:07:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malagata

YARRRRR

First time in a contest but I think this time I will try to put my entry :)

Here is the link to Photobucket.com,: http://photobucket.com/albums/v382/Malagata/

Might this one be a day of Buenos Aires skellies ???? hey all !come they are lots of them!!!!

Flowers of my spring garden! Tha is one of my favourite islands, spring, even more now that trees are with such beautiful colours .

Now this is my favourite saylor.Paul, smallest kid, who likes to play with me YPP, and usually tells me which pieces to move at the bilging puzzle

On the other one, I am stearing a real ship, in the atlantic sea in Uruguay.! More words? nahh, just that I have been sailing since I was a kid, and I love it :) now I don't have a ship, but I do have YPP!!! And lots of friends, even if they are far away.

I just kept the pics natural as I found out of the topic just today!
Thanks for the chance of sharing with all of you a small part of my world.

Cheers and No tears

Malagata! yarrr
" Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird , that cannot fly-"
[Nov 29, 2004 1:13:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    floresdelsol1@yahoo.com.ar [Link]  Go to top 
lauttus

Crystal wrote: 
StoneKrush wrote: 
This have progressed a little since the days of pirates, there is now a regular bus route to XI...
http://salmonsfiles.savefile.com/images/theBUStoXI.jpg

*laughs*

This be the only one that I laughed at!!! Very funny!
Fizz - SO in The Phoenix Warriors and Lady of Tyr's Own of Midnight Ocean
---
Skyelanis from Midnight wrote wrote: 
Anything for you Fizz.
---
Avatar by myself --- here's lookin at you, kid.
[Nov 29, 2004 3:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ewige

Unfortunately, the same duties that keep me from logging on much these days also distract me from coming up with a better entry.

You might ask why my house is filling with bilge in the first place, and you might find an answer in my poor carpentry rating.
Sigismundo, ubiquitous.
[Nov 29, 2004 4:59:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates