• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 1872
Posts: 1872   Pages: 63   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 410473 times and has 1871 replies Next Thread
vnork

Re: Monthly Familiar Puzzle Competitions Reply to this Post

Familiars should never be given out for blacksmithing, unless the puzzle is fundamentally changed. It's completely computer-solvable, and a 15 minute competition gives an even bigger advantage to the solver programs.

-Vnork

I disagree.

At the endgame it is solvable; however, as Bigwood stated, it is NP complete at that game, meaning that no known algorithm exists to solve it in polynomial time.

Aside from this...blacksmithing is solvable MUCH faster by an accomplished and skilled player than it is by a computer program.

When I'm playing well I get MP around 50% of the time and finish the puzzle in 5-7 minutes. I play by pseudo-algorithm and sometimes don't have to "solve" the puzzle until I have less than 20 strikes left. Humans > computers, here.

The problem with blacksmithing competitions is the able alt 1-2-3 exploit, not the puzzle itself.

I don't use a solver, or I'd have much more success in the puzzle (rushed during the 15 min competition and didn't even get an incred), but empirical evidence, as shown by actual working bot solvers, proves you wrong. They're have been at least 3-4 solvers developed independently on Sage, and they're capable of high incredibles in 3-5 minutes. They might not be as good in striking combos as humans, as of now, which is why a 15 minute competition is especially silly considering that fact. I have no doubt that a skilled enough programmer could develop a BS algorithm that could be faster and more efficient than any human in blacksmithing, thus making it computer-solvable.

To Nick Bush: Your analysis doesn't take into account the possibility of multiple solutions to a given board, and you can terminate the calculations when you find any solution. There's also no reason why a computer is forced to perform a brute force search, and an ounce of intelligence applied to the algorithm should be able to dramatically improve efficiency.

-Vnork
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by vnork at May 28, 2009 10:18:13 AM]
[May 28, 2009 9:54:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shipperthree

I don't use a solver, or I'd have much more success in the puzzle (rushed during the 15 min competition and didn't even get an incred), but empirical evidence, as shown by actual working bot solvers, proves you wrong. They're have been at least 3-4 solvers developed independently on Sage, and they're capable of high incredibles in 3-5 minutes. They might not be as good in striking combos as humans, as of now, which is why a 15 minute competition is especially silly considering that fact. I have no doubt that a skilled enough programmer could develop a BS algorithm that could be faster and more efficient than any human in blacksmithing, thus making it computer-solvable.

-Vnork

You could, on the other hand, take your time and use your brain. Works, you know.

It only takes one session, so make sure it's *really incredible*. If you see anything that makes you think the board is unsolveable, dismiss and restart. Sure, it hurts your rank, but it gives you more time at another board.
[May 28, 2009 3:42:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

You could, on the other hand, take your time and use your brain. Works, you know.

It only takes one session, so make sure it's *really incredible*. If you see anything that makes you think the board is unsolveable, dismiss and restart. Sure, it hurts your rank, but it gives you more time at another board.

You addressed quite possibly the least-relevant part of my post. But thanks for the advice. Next competition I enter, I will try to remember to use my brain.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by vnork at May 28, 2009 5:44:26 PM]
[May 28, 2009 5:44:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shipperthree

You addressed quite possibly the least-relevant part of my post. But thanks for the advice. Next competition I enter, I will try to remember to use my brain.

No need to be patronising. Just merely stating it's often in the competitor's best intrest to not complete sessions. Thank you for addressing the least relevant point of my post.
[May 29, 2009 5:05:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

I don't use a solver, or I'd have much more success in the puzzle (rushed during the 15 min competition and didn't even get an incred), but empirical evidence, as shown by actual working bot solvers, proves you wrong.

When they come over to Cobalt and beat the non-bot, non-alt players, then I'll accept your evidence as empirical, rather than situational. ;) One still has to be good enough to play well to get down to the point of the solver kicking in, which can be done with good old fashioned pen and paper anyway.

While the 1-2-3 players don't seem able to win everywhere, either, that's a problem that OOO *can* potentially fix by revamping competitions as opposed to people using bots. Incidentally, I expect a 1-2-3 bot would be *far* easier to develop/program than a full puzzle one...

(Also, a while back I managed a first puzzle MP that held through the duration of an hour long competition - neither Nickbush nor Bigwood got past it, in that particular instance - so it *is* possible for a faster competition to go to legitimate human players.)
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[May 29, 2009 9:55:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Viridian:

The competition 'Familiar Rigging' has ended.
Alextugo won the 1st category in Rigging!
Geologist won the 2nd category in Rigging!
Mistypetal won the 3rd category in Rigging!
Ricksan won the 4th category in Rigging!

The winner's standing is Apprentice/Distinguished.

...Here we go again.

(Half of this post is spite, half is a level-headed wish for alters to not have a large advantage)
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[May 30, 2009 7:36:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

Viridian:

...Here we go again.

(Half of this post is spite, half is a level-headed wish for alters to not have a large advantage)

I wouldn't mind so much (I was 41 and knew I had no chance, it was just for fun) if I didn't see Geologist and Mistypetal on ALL THE TIME! They are really active, and wonderful.
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[May 30, 2009 7:39:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
basso

Viridian:

...Here we go again.

I wouldn't mind so much (I was 41 and knew I had no chance, it was just for fun) if I didn't see Geologist and Mistypetal on ALL THE TIME! They are really active, and wonderful.

I don't know any of them, and this just bothers me purely in principle. Each puzzle should be designed in such a way that you cannot get very high incredibles if you are not playing the full puzzle. Having a different number of pieces to work with is a fundamental difference in the puzzle. Or, just freaking make everyone play the hardest boards if they click "join". Level the playing field, and stop all these ridiculous exploits (able blacksmith 123 anyone?).
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[May 30, 2009 8:02:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Each puzzle should be designed in such a way that you cannot get very high incredibles if you are not playing the full puzzle. Having a different number of pieces to work with is a fundamental difference in the puzzle. Or, just freaking make everyone play the hardest boards if they click "join". Level the playing field, and stop all these ridiculous exploits (able blacksmith 123 anyone?).

QFT
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[May 30, 2009 9:55:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alwayslast

In a few of the puzzles, (Rigging and Bilging) I do better at on high levels. I build more, which means you cant do that so much on lower stats (able and stuff). But for blacksmith.
Retired Nub

*Do i get paid now?*
[May 30, 2009 11:41:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Tianx won the 1st category in Rigging!
Ikke won the 2nd category in Rigging!
Noodlez won the 3rd category in Rigging!
Seleenn won the 4th category in Rigging!

Solid/Distinguished winner. Clearly not an alt, but that doesn't change the fact that scoring needs a tweak here. >.>

EDIT: The winner here is #1 on Midnight, so clearly he has the skills to win. I still don't think it's right that a distinguished can score higher than Ultimates.
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Edit 2 times, last edit by superstarsam at May 31, 2009 6:36:02 AM]
[May 31, 2009 6:32:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akuku

I was thinking about this thread and opinions for some time, and just wanted to add few cents.

As much as I hate people entering contests like these on alts(espacially in fami tourneys, people entering on alts, just because they are scared of losing their own standing/or want to lower standings of other players to get 1st trophy/or for any other reason which I'm not aware of), it can't be stopped.

I agree with most of the people here, that for example bs with 123 is much easier to solve than with all pieces available. Same goes for rigging and bilging in my opinion, and even though I'm not really good at these two, it's easier to make bingos in bilge or longer chain in rigging with more pieces of the same type, than doing the very same with 1 more or 2 more colours(correct me if I'm wrong).

I remember when bs was introduced, and OMs made first bs bake-offs, everyone was entering with able alts(cause that was the requirement from OMs), and that made it pretty fair(highest standing after 1 hour, was a winner back then). But again, if people are complaining about fresh or low standing players having advantage, while not entering with the alt as well?

I'm not really up to date with all crafting/piracy puzzle changes, cause I just try to enjoy the game to its fullest extent with a bunch of friends, but I know really good puzzlers out there, some of them probably being one of the best on the ocean in particular puzzles, and it's in the interest of all people playing this game to make it as fair as possible.

So if there are exploits/disadvantages in certain puzzles based upon standings/number of stars (as an examples), why not making every puzzle either from the lowest or highest amount of stars in piracy puzzles, or lowest standing in the crafting ones?
Akuku
Senior Officer of Polish War Fog
Formerly of Viridian Ocean (RiP)

[May 31, 2009 8:31:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

Could we have some info on the competitions for this upcoming month? Thanks ^ ^
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[May 31, 2009 12:54:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shipperthree

Would love to see at least one multi-puzzle competition this time, might upset the trend of recurring winners. Providing duty-nav and distilling are exempt, of course. :p

Or, potentially, a 'surprise puzzle' one. That could be interesting.
[May 31, 2009 1:19:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mrkrecik

Would love to see at least one multi-puzzle competition this time, might upset the trend of recurring winners. Providing duty-nav and distilling are exempt, of course. :p

I want a treasure haul one. I think it's fair we have one of these because i don't think that there has ever been one.
Teabagbill

From that Sage place
[May 31, 2009 1:24:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

I want a treasure haul one. I think it's fair we have one of these because i don't think that there has ever been one.

Treasure haul doesn't have one because of the limited playability of the puzzle. If there were something like a navy mission for it or an ability to play it on-demand I think it would be allowed though.
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[May 31, 2009 1:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

So much this. I fail at single-puzzle comps and I want more fammies >.>
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[May 31, 2009 1:45:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shipperthree

So much this. I fail at single-puzzle comps and I want more fammies >.>

I love single ones and multi-puzzle ones. I just think it would make it much more exciting for everyone if the OMs juggled things around a bit.
[May 31, 2009 1:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mrkrecik

Treasure haul doesn't have one because of the limited playability of the puzzle. If there were something like a navy mission for it or an ability to play it on-demand I think it would be allowed though.

I don't care man I want a TH one - it would be awesome. Would have a better chance of winning too if all those suckers without bravery badges don't enter.
Teabagbill

From that Sage place
[May 31, 2009 5:27:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

But again, if people are complaining about fresh or low standing players having advantage, while not entering with the alt as well?

Hey Mr. Homerunhitter uses steroids, why don't we all just use steroids? Not to sound tarty, but that's the thought I got when reading this statement.

So if there are exploits/disadvantages in certain puzzles based upon standings/number of stars (as an examples), why not making every puzzle either from the lowest or highest amount of stars in piracy puzzles, or lowest standing in the crafting ones?

I think this suggestion of yours is much better than everyone using alts to "even out" the playing field. Much easier said than done of course, but I'm sure the devs can fix it.
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[May 31, 2009 5:31:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UCSBboy

Were there any GM or worse winners of the rigging comps other than the two mentioned on Viridian? All of the top 4 in the comps I competed in were leg or ult (mostly ult), and I have yet to hear of any outside of those two on Viridian. It almost makes me wonder if it wasn't just coincidence that those two won, and that perhaps they won it by staying on the puzzle till they had more stars than a distinguished would normally have. As far as I can tell the lower stars, particularly the really low stars like a fresh alt would have, are a fairly large disadvantage in rigging.
Auranic of Obsidian
Sheeran of Emerald
Sheeran of Meridian

[quote]Verlool says (on vent), "We knew him when he was in his prime, we called him Sheeran the Magnificent."
[May 31, 2009 8:22:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Cobalt had a broad/renowned manage one incredible over half an hour in the first competition...and win. <_< But that's more a general issue with the single highest DR scoring system. >_> The next three were ults, in the top half of the list.

EDIT: The winner here is #1 on Midnight, so clearly he has the skills to win. I still don't think it's right that a distinguished can score higher than Ultimates.

If he's #1 on Midnight, in all likelihood he went until he got enough stars to have full pieces. The key question is *when* he got his score - with full pieces, or without them.

OOO has never done anything to fix the star system issues with alts for bakeoffs (which have fewer issues with this, compared to competitions), and has left competitions as is for months, so I'm not holding my breath on some of this...

So, anyway:

Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Roleni at May 31, 2009 8:41:51 PM]
[May 31, 2009 8:40:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arabica

every1 just talk about those alts and such but no1 ever mention wats was and still going on hunter for the last half yr ....can say that winner for the last 15 comps except craftings is 1 person and funniest is that person isnt even ult and if he is he isnt even in the top 20 i watched the 1st rigging and he won so i decided to wait till the other 2 passes maybe a miracle can at last happen on hunter but it didnt so i came here maybe all u expert forum tarts and ppl playing for 5 yrs can explain it somehow or someway : rigging was only launched only like 3 weeks ago if i remember well sooo not many ppl know its secrets and to tell that som1 is really very good at the puzzle he/she must b in the top 20 at least ??!! so how come that the 1 person who won all last competitions now win the last 3rigging comps on hunter when he isnt that high in list ,how can he find a way to beat all the high incs when he is barely capable to beat some ppl on the duty reports on pilages or smh ...... i think that more than 75% of hunter population is annoyed of this and many tried to talk with OMs about this but all got negative answers so maybe asking the gr8 forum tarts about wat they think :)

P.S: am not english myself so if there s somthg writed wrong dont blame me :D
Aranub
coming in second place in a competition IS a "failure".
[Jun 1, 2009 5:26:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

From what I understand there is a disadvantage to the starting boards. I suggest you take an able alt, and an ultimate alt. Make the same moves (bingos, 3x5s, etc.) as much as you can keep them in sync. The scoring of the ult will be higher than that of the able.

I believe OOO addressed the able/ult board difference with different scoring values for the same combos a long long time ago. Does this mean that it is perfect? No. It would be rather impossible to make them score completely the same for an individual. By this I mean that an ultimate puzzler would achieve the same score (by doing their best) on both the able / ult even though the combos might be much larger on the able. I do think OOO has put in a very good effort to make this close though. The range in puzzle strategies means that there is no perfect solution.

I would say that only 2 alts winning out of 15 competitions means that the ultimate boards are *easier* to win on. That is, you have to pull off a wicked combo on an able board as compared to an *awesome<wicked* combo on an ult board.

The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that Viridian's 3rd competition was offset from the rest of the oceans. The idea (I thought) behind timing them all the same was to prevent one person from winning on all oceans. I don't go compete on other oceans because I don't want them coming to my ocean and competing. I really don't see the value in someone from a sub ocean winning a fam on a dub ocean (not to offend Tianx, I think you did awesome). I just wish a Viridianite could have won that familiar.

I entered all 3 competitions on Viridian. I scored well in the first 2 (timed in sync with the other oceans). My score dropped dramatically in the 3rd. If you browsed through the list of top contenders you would have noticed a lot more cross-ocean entrants. This is not to say that Viridian puzzlers are worse. There were a bunch in the top 10.

Am I wrong in thinking the purpose of the synchronized tournaments was to prevent this sort of pile up on one ocean ending with a familiar possibly being handed out to an alien to the ocean?
Belgica
Teh Poke faktor candidate 07/07
[Jun 1, 2009 6:25:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

...an alien to the ocean?

./me phones home
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jun 1, 2009 6:39:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Akuku

Couldn't agree more to that.

Belgica wrote:

"I just wish a Viridianite could have won that familiar."

It would be lovely, with all alts around we could just enter familiar competitions with our main pirate, or just the one that we spent most time on, to avoid people from other oceans winning them just to sell and make profit out of it. Sounds really naive, but what's the point of getting few more $$$ when you already have tons...
Akuku

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Akuku at Jun 1, 2009 10:36:00 AM]
[Jun 1, 2009 10:33:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Tianx originated on Viridian, silly kids. Should I start protesting now that he also won one on Midnight?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jun 1, 2009 1:28:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I just worry when I see people complaining that they will do less competitions. While winning would be a thrill, I like to see how I measure up.
Jolyma

[Jun 1, 2009 1:39:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akuku

Tianx originated on Viridian, silly kids. Should I start protesting now that he also won one on Midnight?

I was talking in general?
Akuku

[Jun 1, 2009 1:41:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

I'm sorry. I was going off what was posted earlier:

After checking this out it seems to be false (or misleading) information. I guess I read that as #1 standing, not winner of the midnight competition.

Either way, yes you should protest this. Like I said, I don't come to midnight and try to win the puzzle competitions there, even though I grew up there. I see no point other than to piss off my old hearties.

I wish They would have just moved the Viridian tourney to the right time instead of leaving it an hour later. My main question is wether the point of the timing was to prevent this kind of thing. If so, why not move the tournament time up an hour to match the other oceans? I would hope it is not locked (since an oceanmaster knew about it before it was posted).
Belgica
Teh Poke faktor candidate 07/07
[Edit 2 times, last edit by joris at Jun 1, 2009 2:17:12 PM]
[Jun 1, 2009 2:05:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 1872   Pages: 63   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates