• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 1872
Posts: 1872   Pages: 63   [ First Page | Previous Page | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 412217 times and has 1871 replies Next Thread
henryrules10

Re: Monthly Familiar Puzzle Competitions Reply to this Post

Mmmmmm, foraging <3

Others (with the possible exception of navigating and a huge emphasis on shipwrightery) = meh >.>
----------------------------------------
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Sep 5, 2009 11:06:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

*** September Super Sailing Super Slam ***

Date: Friday, September 18th
Time: 3:00 pm
Puzzle: Sailing
Familiar: Yellow Octopus

Date: Saturday, September 19th
Time: 6:00 am
Familiar: Brown Monkey

Date: Sunday, September 20th
Time: 11:30 pm
Familiar: Maroon/Rose Parrot

OHMYGOD I LOVE YOU SO MUCH ^_________________________^
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Edit 1 times, last edit by superstarsam at Sep 6, 2009 1:52:46 AM]
[Sep 6, 2009 1:52:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

/me needs to practice sailing :)
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Sep 6, 2009 3:20:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumyoke

I love u.
Yoke Hunter, Viri n Middy

Simy Sage ;)
[Sep 6, 2009 4:50:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heibii

Yayayayayay! For nav comp<3!
Hei on Emerald

Yusss I dnav!
[Sep 6, 2009 4:56:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blackfire45

WOOOO foraging compe....!!!

./e loves September ;D

thx for Compe
This is me------>Bloodyarm
[Sep 6, 2009 6:06:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
669_669

(joins in chants of approval)

Sailing comps at 11pm (dinner), 2pm(lunch) and 7.30am(breakfast) for me after timezone conversions. A three course meal of competition goodness! Was seriously hoping for one sailing one this month, as June's comp passed before I realised this thread existed (gutted!). This makes for a very happy bobber indeed!

/e resists commenting on Forage. Look at the ult list for yourself -_-;
Realism: Optimistic Cynical Skeptisim

Bobzone (Midnight) since 26th Aug 2004
[Sep 6, 2009 6:11:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceSpeed

I might as well give up on ever hoping that the gunning skill boochiness will be fixed so that a competition could be had.
Gameplay on Midnight ( and most oceans )
Gleeful and Taio on Sage
Buoyant on Malachite
Gleeful on Ice
[Sep 6, 2009 12:18:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ecrvtbyn

Gahhh..... can't join the foraging competition >:O
Ecrvtbyn on the Viridian ocean.
[Sep 7, 2009 8:26:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.youtube.com/user/ecrvtbyn    ons_disorder34    Don't have    Nah, don't have [Link]  Go to top 
dusty9001

Can someone please explain to me the scoring in these competitions? Is it awarded for your best performance in a league? The sum of all your leagues? The highest score you have at any point in the contest? I really don't get it someone please help me out =)
Fluorine on Cobalt
[Sep 7, 2009 11:20:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

Can someone please explain to me the scoring in these competitions? Is it awarded for your best performance in a league? The sum of all your leagues? The highest score you have at any point in the contest? I really don't get it someone please help me out =)

Best scoring on a duty or crafting report.

[Sep 7, 2009 11:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

Sage.

The competition 'Familiar Navigation' has ended.
Nooblar won the 1st category in Navigating!
Felismajor won the 2nd category in Navigating!
Zsuzsika won the 3rd category in Navigating!
Merla won the 4th category in Navigating!
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 7, 2009 11:39:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OgimusIV

Except in duty nav competitions, scores obtained on a ship set to swabbie transport apparently don't count. I really hope this is a bug that gets fixed and not the desired behavior, because that's a really unintuitive and frustrating rule for these competitions.
Ogimus the Fourth, Esq.
[Sep 7, 2009 11:41:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaviourS

Except in duty nav competitions, scores obtained on a ship set to swabbie transport apparently don't count. I really hope this is a bug that gets fixed and not the desired behavior, because that's a really unintuitive and frustrating rule for these competitions.

They don't? I use them all the time and always place/win, it could be you did not press Join or began puzzling before the competition started
Saviour, Meridian
[Sep 7, 2009 11:45:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

I am 100% sure they do count.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 7, 2009 12:00:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

It is the case that they occasionally don't count when you start before the competition begins, but usually it does count; I know I've done several comps (for different things, not just nav) on swabbie ship transported ships; while I often don't place, I at least show up on the boards.
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Sep 7, 2009 12:25:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OgimusIV

They don't? I use them all the time and always place/win, it could be you did not press Join or began puzzling before the competition started

I did begin puzzling before the competition started... you can do that with the other duty puzzles. Not duty nav? I played for 15 minutes with several increds, checked the standings when a crewmate said his swabbie transport scores weren't counting, and found I was not on there at all either.
Ogimus the Fourth, Esq.
[Sep 7, 2009 12:31:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

I was dnavving for 40 minutes before the competition and the competition didn't interrupt my flow by making me join (don't interpret this as me saying I did well; I came just on the lighter side of 50th) as I had prejoined. I was on swabby.

You've either hit a bug or forgotten to join.
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Sep 7, 2009 12:36:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UCSBboy

Its a semi-common bug that if you are already puzzling when the comp starts, for some reason it sometimes doesn't count you. This has nothing to do with being on swabbying ships, as that is pretty much all I do in comps. You can usually (or maybe always) fix this by leaving the station and getting back on after the comp starts (you can be sure you keep your puzzle effectiveness by doing it in the middle of a league).
Auranic of Obsidian
Sheeran of Emerald
Sheeran of Meridian

[quote]Verlool says (on vent), "We knew him when he was in his prime, we called him Sheeran the Magnificent."
[Sep 7, 2009 12:44:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

It appears to be a bug or some misunderstood mechanism; I know I've heard other people start before the beginning, and then show up on the board; I also know that today, I tested this with me on dnav, an alt watching the board; first few leagues I didn't show up at all. Hopped off, hopped right back on--didn't even completely kill my star meter--shortly after, I appeared on the board.

I've also heard some people not showing up right away. I don't know, maybe you need to fill your stars on the left after the comp starts? It would make it more predominant in dnav, as filling the stars frequently can take longer in that puzzle than any other duty puzzle.
Searmin

[Sep 7, 2009 12:44:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

i specifically remember it mentioned that puzzles started before the competition do not count, change made a while after competitions were first released. 30min competitions do not really help testing, unless someone would care to waste 10min to join with a fresh alt. myself, i'd rather use the time to get on the leader board.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by saintdiana at Sep 7, 2009 1:46:50 PM]
[Sep 7, 2009 1:45:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

i specifically remember it mentioned that puzzles started before the competition do not count, change made a while after competitions were first released. 30min competitions do not really help testing, unless someone would care to waste 10min to join with a fresh alt. myself, i'd rather use the time to get on the leader board.

I believe that the change was actually specifically to puzzles where you can pause and not have an effect on standing: crafting puzzles, most specifically. Under the old method, I could, for example, start distilling eight hours before the start of a comp, distill until my eyes bleed and I get a gorgeous CC count, pause right before finishing, wait around on my computer until the actual start, then unpause and finish for a wonderful incredible that would likely guarantee a first place spot. Unless, of course, someone else had done the same thing. (As a note: I didn't do this when I won the two familiars I won before the change was made)

In duty puzzles, on the other hand, your score drops over time; there isn't the same advantage that you get in the above scenario.

(I originally thought that this change applied to all puzzles, but from what I've heard, people have performed on duty puzzles nonstop starting before the comp and been on the boards at the end.
Searmin

[Sep 7, 2009 2:13:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heibii

I am 100% sure they do count.

Didn't work for me at all, I was dnaving and of course remember to join and all that, but I started like 10 minutes before the competition started and when 12 minutes were left I looked on the score list with my alt and I wasn't there! ( Btw I was doing really good at that time )
So I basically needed to start all over on this 12 minutes left and ended up #2 even though I was doing a lot worse then the first try( probably would had won if this score system didn't fail)

This got me really pissed off and hopefully they can fix that, I like to begin competitions earlier before they start.
Hei on Emerald

Yusss I dnav!
[Sep 7, 2009 2:31:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

i see little difference between pausing a cc15 until the competition starts, and navving halfway around viridian without pause before it starts to make sure the boards u get are high ult quality and therefore high-scoring. it gives an advantage to those who knew there would be an event and thus prepared for it. i cannot tell if anything needs fixing, but if it does, i hope the result is consistency in not taking into account pre-started puzzles, be it a swabby or navy ship.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Sep 7, 2009 2:42:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LiquidatorJo

I checked several of the top navers on the ocean beforehand and they were all dnaving before the competition started. i somehow dont feel this is right or fair they get to do so and their scores count, especially with dnav where the higher constellation thingys count for way more then the low end initial ones especially if you know your timing which it is clear some people have figured out. make it like crafting, if your on station puzzling beforehand NO SOUP FOR YOU.
Noob Greeter asks "What's an Atlantis?"
[Sep 7, 2009 2:47:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

This got me really pissed off and hopefully they can fix that, I like to begin competitions earlier before they start try to win unfairly.

FTFY.

Like Owlwhisperer said, it's the same thing as pausing a CC15 beforehand and waiting until the competition starts. These things have start times for a reason, it's how well you can puzzle in 30/45/60/etc. minutes, not how well you can puzzle in 30/45/60 plus however long you can puzzle beforehand.

[Sep 7, 2009 3:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

I've used swabbie transport for various competitions, including dnav, and have never had any problem with my scores not counting. I do start puzzling a few minutes before the competition starts to get my swabbie ship to speed and get my puzzle indicator sparkly. I keep an alt open so I can watch the leader board without having to leave the puzzle. If anything I have noticed that my first league doesn't always count, which is consistent with the whole "puzzles starting before a competition do not count" release, but I am on the board after my second league.

It's possibly a bug, a sucky one to have. As mentioned by others, you can retake the station once the competition starts to play it safe, or keep an alt open to watch the board to make sure your score counted. It would actually be nice to be able to see the leader board in the Ahoy! tab without leaving the puzzle (I think I'll head to game design with that one).

Any results for Mala? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Reply to Liquidator Jo
Since the competitions aren't based off of actual puzzle sessions and instead are of the "best league point" format, starting your puzzle before a competition begins gives one little advantage in the whole scheme of things.
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ShoyuLite at Sep 7, 2009 7:54:39 PM]
[Sep 7, 2009 7:44:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UCSBboy

I pretty much always start a duty puzzle comp about 5 minutes beforehand on a swabbied sloop, to get the sloop to full speed and to get my indicater to a decent level at the start of the comp. I don't consider this cheating, as only the puzzling done during the comp actually scores (even the league you are in the middle of during the start of the comp doesn't count). At best this gives me maybe a minute extra of puzzling that has a shot at winning top incred, hardly a huge difference in a 30 minute competition, and not even all that significant in a 15 minute competition. Along with that, the competitions are always put in your ahoy panel 15 minutes ahead of time, so there shouldn't be anyone that doesn't know about it that far in advance, with plenty of time to get a sloop ready for swabbying.

For mala's dnav comp, Muscles took first and Saviour took second. I don't remember who 3rd and 4th were offhand. I did ok but couldn't get a really great period of puzzling going, so I only finished 8th. :(
Auranic of Obsidian
Sheeran of Emerald
Sheeran of Meridian

[quote]Verlool says (on vent), "We knew him when he was in his prime, we called him Sheeran the Magnificent."
[Sep 7, 2009 8:29:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

i see little difference between pausing a cc15 until the competition starts, and navving halfway around viridian without pause before it starts to make sure the boards u get are high ult quality and therefore high-scoring. it gives an advantage to those who knew there would be an event and thus prepared for it. i cannot tell if anything needs fixing, but if it does, i hope the result is consistency in not taking into account pre-started puzzles, be it a swabby or navy ship.

And yet, the person above who didn't show up on the board until the last 12 minutes came in second place.

I agree that neither should be allowed, but one is much more abusable than the other. Dnav scores wear down with time, so you'd need to keep dnaving, and the only effect would be starting with a higher star level--which is a boost, but not to the same scale you could get in distilling. Or, pretty much, any other crafting puzzle.
Searmin

[Sep 7, 2009 9:40:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heibii

I've used swabbie transport for various competitions, including dnav, and have never had any problem with my scores not counting. I do start puzzling a few minutes before the competition starts to get my swabbie ship to speed and get my puzzle indicator sparkly. I keep an alt open so I can watch the leader board without having to leave the puzzle. If anything I have noticed that my first league doesn't always count, which is consistent with the whole "puzzles starting before a competition do not count" release, but I am on the board after my second league.

It's possibly a bug, a sucky one to have. As mentioned by others, you can retake the station once the competition starts to play it safe, or keep an alt open to watch the board to make sure your score counted. It would actually be nice to be able to see the leader board in the Ahoy! tab without leaving the puzzle (I think I'll head to game design with that one).

Any results for Mala? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Reply to Liquidator Jo
Since the competitions aren't based off of actual puzzle sessions and instead are of the "best league point" format, starting your puzzle before a competition begins gives one little advantage in the whole scheme of things.

That's exactly what I did.. u.u ohwell sucks.. Now wait for another 3 months for another dnav competition ?
Hei on Emerald

Yusss I dnav!
[Sep 8, 2009 5:25:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 1872   Pages: 63   [ First Page | Previous Page | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates