• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 1872
Posts: 1872   Pages: 63   [ First Page | Previous Page | 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 411347 times and has 1871 replies Next Thread
Searmin

Re: Monthly Familiar Puzzle Competitions Reply to this Post

Yeah, this comp was particularly interesting in that there were many strategies to winning, ranging from playing every puzzle and trying to do your best you can on each in the time given to win the grand prize, or focus on only one puzzle that you know you have a good chance of winning and settling with the lesser--but still very significant--individual puzzle prize. I was expecting to see that very few of the overall winners had placed in the top 4 for more than one puzzle, let alone won, any individual competitions, and this is what happened. Nickbush is the only overall winner that won a tan familiar as well, which is an impressive feat.
----------------------------------------
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Aug 25, 2009 8:23:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

also, most (i think) of the overall winners are capable of competing for the top prizes in at least a few of the other puzzles, but consider the overall prize more important. This results in accepting an high, but not top score for a puzzle so you can work on the others instead of maxing out yer scores first.

i, for example, was happy with my alch and distill scores pretty quick and then focused on getting shipwright and blacksmith to a reasonable level, whereas if i had chosen to maximize my alch and distill i might have placed top 4 in those two puzzles. Also, in the end when you've got the scores you're happy with (took me around 1 hour 50 to get all scores on a high enough level to win) you can choose two things:

1, max out an already good score in your best puzzle.

or 2, up yer weakest score in order to make sure you maintain yer top spot.

i chose for #2 cuz i wasn't even close to sure i was gonna win (seeing i didn't place higher in most puzzles and if so, not much higher). if i had better scores i might have gone for the occasional epic distill board or good alch.

i think it's better this way though. I didn't deserve any of the tan monkeys, simply because my scores we're good, but not great. if one does great in each and wins all tans and the coloured, it's very impressive, but if you don't have a lucky day, you need time to get good scores in for specific puzzles. (alch is usually least time consuming, it takes long, but consistently high incing is easiest. shipwright can take litteraly an hour)
[Aug 25, 2009 8:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

also, most (i think) of the overall winners are capable of competing for the top prizes in at least a few of the other puzzles, but consider the overall prize more important. This results in accepting an high, but not top score for a puzzle so you can work on the others instead of maxing out yer scores first.

Yep! It was a really interesting competition because of this; I wish I could have fully competed in it. It's tricky; going for the overall prize meant it was less likely that you would win any familiar because you have to sacrifice time you would otherwise spend working on a single puzzle. These types of comps are awesome, though understandably rare (five new fams on every ocean in less than three hours...whew).
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Aug 25, 2009 9:10:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Though they're rare, I'd love to see another next month at least, when (most of) the piracy puzzles come round again. Hinthint ;)
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Aug 25, 2009 9:55:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

OP wrote: 
In addition to the scheduled competitions you may also notice impromptu and unannounced tan familiar competitions coming to an ocean near you!
I'm just curious here, but has anyone seen any of the bolded?
Anchovia
[Aug 25, 2009 1:32:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bariole

OP wrote: 
In addition to the scheduled competitions you may also notice impromptu and unannounced tan familiar competitions coming to an ocean near you!

There was one last night for bilge, around 7pm GT, I believe.

Edit: Added time.
Kareen.Meridian

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bariole at Aug 25, 2009 1:40:13 PM]
[Aug 25, 2009 1:35:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mennus

OP wrote: 

There was one last night for bilge, around 7pm GT, I believe.

Edit: Added time.

WHAT?!?!?!? /e is very sad. :'(
Flavor on Meridian 2012-
Mennus on Hunter 2007-2009
[Aug 25, 2009 4:15:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

There's a distilling comp for a tan octo in 12 minutes.
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Aug 25, 2009 7:48:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
treepirate88

I believe I've seen a couple tan octo's go for distilling over the past couple of days.
Expendable - Malachite
Lock it up.
Apollo says, "Expendable, I will now spank you with extreme prejudice"
[Aug 25, 2009 11:32:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

There've been a lot of distilling comps in general lately - I enjoy them but really when you've got to the point of 8-9 columns of white ready it's all luck.

I hope that the tan octos are coming to all puzzles eventually?

Geo,
loves sails just fyi.
[Aug 25, 2009 11:38:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

There've been a lot of distilling comps in general lately - I enjoy them but really when you've got to the point of 8-9 columns of white ready it's all luck.

Geo,
loves sails just fyi.

I wouldn't say it's all luck at that point. I still find that the same people in general win the distilling competitions overall.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 26, 2009 9:13:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Geo,
loves sails just fyi.

I wouldn't say it's all luck at that point. I still find that the same people in general win the distilling competitions overall.

After you've got 9 rows ready all the skill you need is to add on ~3 pieces every 6 seconds. Lucky white spawns are required to win.
[Aug 26, 2009 11:09:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kookiez8

Could we have a Treasure Haul version please id be ever so grateful

Kookiez
[Aug 27, 2009 1:51:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
radioli

I can actually almost see a Treasure Haul competition working... kinda. Would it ust be judged by the Duty Report?
GREASEMONKEY
[Aug 27, 2009 3:23:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yoccm

Has there ever been a t-haul comp.?

I mean, the only way you can t-haul, is if something sinks or you get lucky with an expidition, and usually it won't last for a couple minutes. Would a dependent puzzle like T-haul be suitable for an ocean-wide competition, or would a bake off be better?
Every once in a blue moon, the moon turns blue.
[Aug 27, 2009 3:27:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
radioli

I'm just assuming here, with my limited knowledge, that the OMs can just magick up a neverending treasure hauly spot thingy. Again, limited knowledge of OM magic = not so helpful contribution.
GREASEMONKEY
[Aug 27, 2009 3:30:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

I'm just assuming here, with my limited knowledge, that the OMs can just magick up a neverending treasure hauly spot thingy. Again, limited knowledge of OM magic = not so helpful contribution.

The OMs can certainly create an event blockade with loads of TH spots but these have to be placed one at a time after the blockade is live. Creating enough that the event is a TH event and not a bumper ship event (as people try to get close to the TH spot) would be extremely difficult and / or very inflationary (the spots could be hauled as fast as the OMs place them unless each spot is given a very large amount of poe)

It might be possible that that the game mechanics could be changed such as by giving every successful pillage attack a sunken vessel to go to, though I suspect this wouldneed to be done by a developer and would quite possible require a reboot both before and after the event (which would upset a lot of people) this would also be be inflationary.

Inflation could possible be avoided by making the rate of poe spawn much less but again this would annoy non competition players.

Officers would be likely to avoid atlantis and sinking flotillas during such a competition as there is a serious danger people will hog TH. Though chests make me suspect that Atlantis would not be the best place to do TH for a competition.

My thought is the best way to run a Th competition is to run it over a fairly long period (say 3 hours) but without changing anything so if you pillage the whole period you are likely to get an entry or 2 into the competition. I skilled navver and a disciplined should get more opportunities in a flotilla which would make thinks a bit unfair so amybe have it just before the flotilla's spawn but only if there are no live flotillas (give poeple another incentive to kill flotillas).
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Aug 27, 2009 4:16:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

It's very possible to do a Treasure Haul competition and an event kade (bumping sloops or something) as well. It could be like an added bonus for the event.

Or better yet, do one of those whisking your ship atlantis events they do every so often, that would attract more people onto the SMHs and give away shiny prizes in the comps.
Verlool
[Aug 30, 2009 8:51:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

On a side note; Here are some results from Cobalt's Carpentry Bakeoff

Axemaniac won the 1st category in Carpentry!
Sawkins won the 2nd category in Carpentry!
Jackinblack won the 3rd category in Carpentry!
Stacyblue won the 4th category in Carpentry!

I have literally no idea what it takes to win these things.
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Aug 30, 2009 3:34:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

Malachite results:

The competition 'Familiar Carpentry' has ended.
Mrbones won the 1st category in Carpentry!
Clarence won the 2nd category in Carpentry!
Sabre won the 3rd category in Carpentry!
Jojje won the 4th category in Carpentry!

Congrats Mrbones!
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[Aug 30, 2009 3:38:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shriner89

Viridian's results:

Flickeryfaye won the 1st category in Carpentry!
Dunkhan won the 2nd category in Carpentry!
Sallymae won the 3rd category in Carpentry!
Imeanit won the 4th category in Carpentry!

Congratulations!
Silverphish
[Aug 30, 2009 3:41:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Venerdina

mm anyone to post hunter results? sucks i wasnt even on for that comptition -.-
Venerdina

"Venerdina says, "Selling a tan named octo."
Classy tells ye, "So, your tan is named octo? xD"
[Aug 31, 2009 5:01:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mennus

I just heard Samster won, but I don't know about the rest.
Flavor on Meridian 2012-
Mennus on Hunter 2007-2009
[Aug 31, 2009 6:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ecrvtbyn

Viridian's results:

Flickeryfaye won the 1st category in Carpentry!
Dunkhan won the 2nd category in Carpentry!
Sallymae won the 3rd category in Carpentry!
Imeanit won the 4th category in Carpentry!

Awww, always Dunkhan is one of the winners >.<
Ecrvtbyn on the Viridian ocean.
[Sep 1, 2009 3:31:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.youtube.com/user/ecrvtbyn    ons_disorder34    Don't have    Nah, don't have [Link]  Go to top 
Frankster526

I just heard Samster won, but I don't know about the rest.

Samster
Dahlgren
Isaisnaruto
Bloodyarm
Frankster on Emerald
[Sep 1, 2009 3:08:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heibii

duchess wasn't even on top 20 list ;o In carp that is
Hei on Emerald

Yusss I dnav!
[Sep 2, 2009 12:28:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

Nooblar won the 1st category in Carpentry!
Ricemonkey won the 2nd category in Carpentry!
Seramana won the 3rd category in Carpentry!
Azeitona won the 4th category in Carpentry!

On sage.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 4, 2009 6:44:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frankster526

/e hugs *** September Super Sailing Super Slam ***
Frankster on Emerald
[Sep 5, 2009 8:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

/e hugs *** September Super Sailing Super Slam ***

Man, i almost came in my pants when i saw that...
See you there!
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Sep 5, 2009 9:30:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaviourS

Oh, nice
Saviour, Meridian
[Sep 5, 2009 11:03:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 1872   Pages: 63   [ First Page | Previous Page | 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates