• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7259 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
HiimEric2001

[Idea] R.I.P. Old Man from Oyster Reply to this Post

With the implementation of expeditions we have sadly discovered the fate of the Old Man from Oyster Island. I feel the most appropriate way to honor him would be to hold an event in his memory.

I'm just starting to feel this out, but it would be some sort of writing event. Perhaps either a eulogy or obituary for the Old Man. It would be fun to recount his personal "history" as well as all the things he must have seen either while at Oyster or from afar.

As such, I'd probably want to award points to those who do some research about both the Old Man and Oyster itself. This is necessarily tied in with Midnight history, but I don't think it would be necessary for someone to have played for a long time or even ever played on Midnight for them to do well. After all, once you go past Cobalt/Viridian, Midnight history and Y!PP history are pretty much the same thing.

I'd also want to award points for creativity. I don't want a simple retelling of Oyster blockade history! I want to know how things affected the Old Man. Maybe, he left a journal behind! Really, the eulogy/obituary/legend/whatever of the Old Man should be a good mix of historical reference and creative fiction.

Here are some questions I have:

Is this too morbid?

Would people other than old Midnight players find this fun?

Anything you would change/add to the idea (really this is the earliest possible stage, so I'm open to changing things to make them more fun)?

Can anyone point to a somewhat similar event for inspiration?

Really, please post any and all comments!
----------------------------------------
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 8, 2009 2:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Re: [Idea] R.I.P. Old Man from Oyster Reply to this Post

Well, there was a "Write your own Obituary"contest, so comparatively, no, its not too morbid.

If you make this more than a Midnight event, make sure whatever "research" into Oyster is required is available on the wiki. Otherwise you will really be blocking other-ocean and even newer Midnight players from being able to score well in that category.
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[May 8, 2009 2:54:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

If you make this more than a Midnight event, make sure whatever "research" into Oyster is required is available on the wiki. Otherwise you will really be blocking other-ocean and even newer Midnight players from being able to score well in that category.

How about the forums? It shouldn't be too hard to skim a couple intent posts to get the idea behind what happened. I'm just thinking, complete accuracy isn't necessary or maybe even desired, but the entries would probably be more interesting if more detail was given than "and then flag A attacked, and won the blockade in 2 rounds, and the old man thought that was cool."

I guess, I'd want to specify that the entries should be fun with elements of truth, but not a boring history lesson.
Cire

[May 8, 2009 3:26:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

You could always provide some basic facts, and make those required elements, and then let the rest of it be created - that removes the "do your research" element, but also removes any basis for complaints about bias towards elderly Midnight players! Having said that, I actually quite like the research angle, to include known information - a bit like the "Write a BK" and "Write an OM" events.
[May 8, 2009 4:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

I played Midnight for a year and a half, and while I wasn't there for Midnight's opening, with 4.5 YPP years under my belt, I'm old for this game.

I have never heard of the Old Man from Oyster.

Unless you provide all of the information entrants need, you're going to end up running this event for a very small group of very old salts.

If you want people to dig into game history, give them some of the back story and provide them with any links they may need. The search feature on this forum is pretty miserable, and it's safe to assume that people will have no idea what you're talking about unless you tell them explicitly.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[May 8, 2009 4:28:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

I am assuming he is referring to the recent 'Visited the Old Man from Oyster Island' trophy given out in buried treasure expeditions when clicking on an inscribed grave (according to his " implementation of expeditions" remark). And I agree, people would definitely need information on this topic if they are not up-to-date with the expeditions.

;-)
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[May 8, 2009 4:41:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Since Cire said entrants would have to do "research about the Old Man" I assumed that there is some old story from the early days of Midnight that was referenced by the recently added expeditions.

If that is not the case, then Cire will want to clarify what sort of research he meant by that comment.

Edit: A quick forum search turns up a couple of threads:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=25882#25882

and

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=258553#258553

So, Sharktailz, if you're going to try to be a jerk, do your homework first.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squashbuckle at May 8, 2009 5:12:22 PM]
[May 8, 2009 5:08:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Way back when, I remember NPPs talking about an Old Man who lived on Oyster Island. I even remember going to Oyster when I heard this and looking around. I must have spent an hour, trying to figure out how to get into the shack at the far end of the island (this was before housing).

A few years ago, I heard an NPP refer to an old man who lives on an island "near here." I did some searching and found this.

Before the implementation of the Cobalt and Viridian oceans, a reference was made about an old man who lived on Oyster Island. It is unknown when this was removed, however it is reasonable to believe that it was removed around that time.

The removal of the reference to Oyster made me sad. Recently, with that new trophy coming out I was happy to see the reference to Oyster restored. Then I found out what became of the Old Man, and decided an event in his honor was only proper.

Right now I'm leaning towards giving a background of who the Old Man from Oyster was, then maybe giving a few YPPedia links, and some tips on forum searching. I'm starting to think that any memory old players would have would be foggy anyway, and not provide a significant advantage over newer pirates. Like I said, I don't want a history lesson, but I think some small research wouldn't be bad, and would actually be fun!
Cire

[May 8, 2009 5:21:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

If that is not the case, then Cire will want to clarify what sort of research he meant by that comment.

I more meant research on what happened with Oyster. The original colonization and blockading of the island, for example, would have likely been relevant events in the Old Man's life, so if you want to tell about that, you'll want to know a little history! As with any good legend, you'd want elements of truth in it!
Cire

[May 8, 2009 5:30:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Little bump.

I was looking for further information about the Old Man from Oyster Island when I have come across this thread.
I don't know whether there is still interest in such event or not, but I will share my idea anyway.

Yes, in fact I had a similar idea that turned into a little RPG for my flag members.
I have made a character called Tiram on Midnight, applying for the citizenship of Oyster Island, then registered a homonym user on our forum, who has posted the following story:
Tiram wrote: 
My name is Tiram and I'm native of the Midnight Ocean. I was born into a very poor family of pearl fishers and when was only a child my father joined a crew setting sail to the Sage Ocean to seek his fortune and support my mother and his little daughter. He never came back and one year later, my mom died of grief. I have grown up in an orphanage promising myself one day I would have found my father. Apparently your crew is combing every island and atoll of the Sage Ocean, so I though you could maybe help me finding my father. Before you ask... unfortunately I don't even know his name, nor I have a portrait of him.

Now, reading her story in this thread you can easily figure out what the solution was (sob), but out of this context it wasn't that obvious. People managed to solve it anyway, because they found out that Tiram is Indonesian for oyster.

Why am I sharing this story? Simple: I would really like to see events (or... Adventures?!) like this one officialy run by the Ringers, where trophies really are a reward for quests with background stories and not only the result of random clicks.

If anyone is interested in reading the whole thread on our forum, just follow this link.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Jun 8, 2009 12:50:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tangoose

People managed to solve it anyway, because they found out that Tiram is Indonesian for oyster.

we did?
[Jun 11, 2009 10:09:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mootapie

People managed to solve it anyway, because they found out that Tiram is Indonesian for oyster.

we did?

Yes Tango we did :D

Lady Mmiimmii
Knights of Saint George
Ascalon
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mootapie at Jun 11, 2009 12:23:48 PM]
[Jun 11, 2009 10:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://moo-haveyaherd.blogspot.com [Link]  Go to top 
Tangoose

Oh. Okay. :( I'm the only one left out then

*sniff*
[Jun 11, 2009 12:08:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates