• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 37
Posts: 37   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7019 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
Nottinylil

List Ten Top ways of getting people to join a crew Reply to this Post

List 10 Put them down like this:
You don't have to do all 10 just list as many as you can
I just started a crew And I just wanted people to join
Its Called The Master Sea Men Just to let you know
[May 7, 2009 9:45:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Re: List Ten Top ways of getting people to join a crew Reply to this Post

10. Puppies for everyone!
----------------------------------------
[May 7, 2009 9:49:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

9. start absurd parley threads

(this is a list of ways to ensure you're never taken seriously enough to get any decent recruits, right?)
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[May 7, 2009 9:58:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

A few off the top of my head in no particular order:

Show people a good time on a voyage.
Show that you're knowledgeable.
Establish a good hearty network. Some will eventually defect from their crew, and maybe join yours.
Be an overall nice person to your jobbers, and new players.

Remember, quality over quantity. You don't want to overwhelm yourself. When I created a crew way back when, I tried to get and train 2 new players at a time. More than that and I found I didn't have time to give individual attention to each, to my satisfaction, and really when a lot of greenies get together in one place their bad habits seem to grow exponentially.

When I was recruiting new players, I'd run a War Brig pillage with mostly experienced players but maybe 3 or 4 uncrewed greenies as well. If they performed well during the voyage (that is, followed directions, weren't whiny or spammy) then I'd invite a couple of them to join the crew after the pillage.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 7, 2009 10:02:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivalice

after every pilly ask the people if they wana join ure house :D
and ask people in the Inn and stuff like that ;)
soooo,sup?

Main:Ivalice on Sage
-----------------------------------------------------------
Secondary:Teutonik on Sage
Third:Spammaster on Sage
--------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ivalice at May 7, 2009 10:04:46 AM]
[May 7, 2009 10:03:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

No. Don't do that, unless you want a shitty crew. Asking random people is both annoying to others and will tend to lead to your crew members being mostly incompetent. Unless it is an established player I know already, I've almost never invited anyone into a crew unless I saw how they performed on a ship first.

If you want you can go to the inn and ask people if they want to pillage, and then judge them on the ship. But if you are straight up dockpressing, you're going to have a terrible crew.
Cire

[Edit 1 times, last edit by HiimEric2001 at May 7, 2009 10:13:41 AM]
[May 7, 2009 10:12:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

In no particular order:

Learn how to navigate and run a successful pillage. Don't make yourself a captain the instant you meet the minimum stat requirements.

Type coherently.

EXPLAIN things to people. When I was a greenie, I went on a lot of pillages that involved people yelling "TEAM DAM U!!" I didn't know what that meant. I assumed that if I was doing something wrong, people would tell me so specifically. The first person that actually explained it to me ... I joined his crew. I'm still there, 3 years later.

Don't ask random people standing on the docks to join. Especially don't job them without even a word. Why would anyone want to be in a crew that can't be bothered to say so much as "Hello"?

If you're going to have "promotion requirements" listed in your public statement, you should probably be sure that you actually meet your own requirements.

That's really all I can think of that would entice me, personally, to join a crew ... but I'm the sort of person who values the quality of her crew mates above the quantity of them.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jezzebel at May 7, 2009 10:20:02 AM]
[May 7, 2009 10:19:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Cire wrote: 
stuff.

oh come on you took him seriously, at all?

I have taken it upon myself when randomly jobbing to explain SF/Rumble teaming in the first fight I participate in. The captain is usually quite relieved, and on the rare occasion they feel like I'm condescending, well... they can bite me.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[May 7, 2009 11:27:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivalice

No. Don't do that, unless you want a shitty crew. Asking random people is both annoying to others and will tend to lead to your crew members being mostly incompetent. Unless it is an established player I know already, I've almost never invited anyone into a crew unless I saw how they performed on a ship first.

If you want you can go to the inn and ask people if they want to pillage, and then judge them on the ship. But if you are straight up dockpressing, you're going to have a terrible crew.

He sayd that he wants a crew,he didnt say that he wants the best crew ever
soooo,sup?

Main:Ivalice on Sage
Secondary:Teutonik on Sage
Third:Spammaster on Sage
--------------------------------------
[May 7, 2009 11:29:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

There is a major gap between "best crew ever" and "shitty crew". Its fine if he just wants a modest crew to be captain of. If the mindset is "i'll take everyone and do anything, and do not care how bad it turns out, as long as I can be captain" then they should stop right now.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[May 7, 2009 11:56:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

10. Dockpressing
9. Bribery
8. Theft
7. Hacking
6. Offer to make them a senior officer if they join
5. Offer to make them captain if they join
4. Join a democratic crew, and then mutiny it
3. Convince a greenie captain to merge into yours, then boot him
2. Buy someone else's crew
1. Free Cybersex

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chavez67 at May 7, 2009 12:20:25 PM]
[May 7, 2009 12:19:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

The Master Sea Men

Wow.

That's almost better than Quan Fu King.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1859668#1859240

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[May 7, 2009 12:23:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Chavez, your ranking is Baiting has now reached Master!
[May 7, 2009 12:25:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Stu wrote: 
oh come on you took him seriously, at all?

I don't care if he's serious.

I posted because I'm a strong believer that quality of crews in the game heavily influences the quality of people who play it. My own interest tells me that I want to play with intelligent, competent people.

For every bad crew that exists there is a chance that a new player will end up on one of their ships. If the new player is a competent person and ends up on a ship with incompetent people they are likely to log off and uninstall the game. First impressions are huge.

Similarly, if a new person is an incompetent chatspeaking type they are more likely to remain incompetent chatspeaking types if they end up jobbing with crews like that. On the other hand, if they end up with a good crew there is a much higher chance that they will either change their own behavior to fit in, or leave the game.

Because of this I am very sensitive about crews being led by incompetent douche bags. I've even had my flag war dec'd before because I told an Officer her crew sucked.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying all crews must operate like mine. There are infinite ways to run good crews. It's the bad ones I'm talking about. Good crews know who they are.
Cire

[May 7, 2009 1:32:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jutecloth

Our chief weapon:

Two weapons:
2. Fear
1. Surprise

3. Diverse elements
2. Surprise
1. Fear

Edit: I'll come in again.

5. Nice red uniforms
4. An almost fanatical devotion to the Pope
3. Ruthless efficiency
2. Fear
1. Surprise
Bakunin wrote: 
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called "the People's Stick".
Darksand wrote: 
[S]chadenfreude is a positive externality for some of us.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jutecloth at May 7, 2009 3:51:26 PM]
[May 7, 2009 2:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorien

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition?!
Lord of Tyr's Own, Ambassador and SO of the Fifth Fist

I've never met a keg o' Rum I didn't like!
[May 7, 2009 2:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
eeyore_guy

The Master Sea Men

I lol'd. :]
The one and only me.
[May 7, 2009 6:37:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Chalk    Chalk    Chalk [Link]  Go to top 
Emoxcore2

spamSPAMspammmmSPPAAMMMMM!
[May 7, 2009 6:40:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdorOfFrodo

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition?!

That's because our chief weapons are...

Oh, nevermind.
Ecavatar by Ecastasy!
Talisker wrote: 
Obviously this calls for dressing up as Karl Marx.

[May 7, 2009 9:53:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
treepirate88

#1 way to get people to join your crew:
Have the name of Delmore and always say, "Are you kidding me?" on ventrilo.
Expendable - Malachite
Lock it up.
Apollo says, "Expendable, I will now spank you with extreme prejudice"
[May 7, 2009 10:44:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

So, after posting in this thread yesterday, I logged in to Cobalt and what should I see on the notice board? Master Sea Men is hiring.

Well, I figured since I chipped in my $.02, I should check it out. This wasn't mentioned in the "how-to" lists, but on a subscription ocean, pay schemes like "Promotion Pays" are generally not a good way to get people to join. On a doubloon ocean, where it's far easier to promote people, these sorts of booty divisions are more workable. Neither is "Officer's Club" (what he changed it to after I pointed this out) a much better choice.

We won the first battle by the skin of our teeth. Teaming was never mentioned. The captain seemed nice enough, and readily accepted that I can't carp effectively without a mouse.

Second battle. Captain asks a boat full of greenies (and me) if anyone wants to bnav. I point out I am the only one that CAN ... and that I really can't. Not to win a battle. This is why *I'M* not a captain. We lose the SF, and the captain tells the crew that it's "noobish" to leave after losing one battle, and that's he's going to -1 anyone that does.

Then we reach the league point and he apparently lost his connection and logged off.

There are 3 greenies aboard and me. One is totally silent, one is polite and articulate, and one is "y u dont driv da boat 2 da ilnd?!?!" I petition the OM. Naturally, this is not an emergency, so after 10-15 minutes I tell the greenies to go ahead and take off and I'll let them know. OM arrives. Sees there's 500 PoE in the booty and tells me to abandon. There was a small amount of stock, too, so I didn't want to leave without at least trying.

Anyway, about half an hour later, the Captain returns. I told him that I petitioned the OM and paid his jobbers. I am not thanked.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[May 8, 2009 7:46:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Technician

If this thread was titled "Quickest way for a crew to reach flag joining fame" I'd have to say dock pressing greenies in the navy. I dont do it, nobody does it, its an untapped cattle market that I would say remains, albeit somewhat dishonest, the easiest quickest and laziest way to make rumoured fame. OOPS did I just give somebody an idea?.....
Rover of Viridian
VOTE FOR ME HERE!
[May 8, 2009 8:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

If this thread was titled "Quickest way for a crew to reach flag joining fame" I'd have to say dock pressing greenies in the navy. I dont do it, nobody does it, its an untapped cattle market that I would say remains, albeit somewhat dishonest, the easiest quickest and laziest way to make rumoured fame. OOPS did I just give somebody an idea?.....

I disagree. Just get 2 or 3 friends to join the crew on alts and run a pillage. By the end of the pillage you should be rumored. (That's how I do it on Midnight at least).

It's much easier, quicker, and more fun. Plus you don't have a crappy crew to deal with.
Cire

[May 8, 2009 10:07:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

I don't think there's anything wrong with a form of dockpressing, if done correctly and for the right reasons.

Many crews, for instance, have a goal of teaching, my own included (I'm just starting one up, but I've had a crew of the same sort before, and it worked well). I actually don't particularly WANT too many pirates who know what they're doing too early on (or possibly ever, since I like small crews). Otherwise it gets cliquish and the students suffer.

I ideally want green pirates who are nevertheless intelligent and motivated people. Yes, these CAN come from jobbing offers and pillages, but an especially green pirate may not have even figured out how to join a pillage, or may be fixated on some other part of the game they happened onto first, without realizing the full scope.

So I think (well, know, rather) that dockpressing can work if certain standards are followed:
*Obviously don't proposition people who are already in normal crews. Getting the best people to defect from horribly run crews, however, is sometimes justified, I think. (the best prospective greenies, that is, not the best statted people who are doing the poor job of running things)
*Greenies without any suspicious alt-like stats are the prime reasonable target for dockpressing.
*Always talk first, of course. Describe your crew and why it is you are dockpressing, what you feel the advantages are.
*Don't extend offers immediately. Rather, you are advertising your crew as a street vendor might advertise wares - you aim to get their interest first, then working out terms after. If the greenie is a drooling idiot, you want to be able to walk away without going back on your word.
*Use your polite greetings and succinctly thank people for their time if they are not interested.

Combined with other methods of recruitment, this does work, and does not have to lead to a shitty crew in any way shape or form. Nor does it require significantly annoying anybody.

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by smurfsahoy at May 14, 2009 3:50:40 PM]
[May 14, 2009 3:48:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorien

I'd always understood dockpressing to be defined by a specific lack of any contact before the offer to job and join a crew. Certainly promoting your crew through conversation to new players would be just peachy, but I never considered that to even *be* dockpressing.
Lord of Tyr's Own, Ambassador and SO of the Fifth Fist

I've never met a keg o' Rum I didn't like!
[May 14, 2009 11:30:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TuucciZ

Promotion pays works on Doubloon Oceans, except for when pretty much anyone else jobbing, because almost all have their pay set at even or better for the jobbers.
Tuuc on Sage. Yes, I'm back.
Nemo wrote: 
I would like to send my heartfelt thanks to everyone who didn't post in this thread.

[May 15, 2009 12:31:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shipperthree

I have a great crew. I get people to join by them asking. It's a lot easier then going after them yourselves.
[May 30, 2009 10:29:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

cookies win every time.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[May 30, 2009 10:31:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slimbutt

Make then SO for joining and tell them you are going to own a large island as soon as you have 125K for the warchest.
Want to make an easy 20K?
Pwn /fw Blood in the Water in PVP.
Post a screenshot of the start of the SF in any Hunter Parley thread.
[May 30, 2009 11:31:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

10. Learn to run a ship.
9. Learn to run a ship.
8. Learn to run a ship.
7. Learn to run a ship.
6. Learn to run a ship.
5. Learn to run a ship.
4. Learn to run a ship.
3. Learn to run a ship.
2. Learn to run a ship.
1. Armadillo.
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[May 31, 2009 4:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 37   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates