• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 155
Posts: 155   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26792 times and has 154 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - After The Battle edition [Winners posted] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:

The theme for this background contest is "After the battle"! We're primarily thinking of ship-based battles - blockades, sea monsters hunts, ship versus ship battles (PvP, BKs, monkeys, black ship, brigands...) although there's nothing to say you can't interpret it more widely than that! We're not wanting a scene from the battle itself, but the aftermath of that battle - we're looking for a background showing the scene of the battle once it's finished. There might be battle damage, tattered sails, smoke, tired pirates, defeated pirates or opponents, victorious pirates, wrecks and wreckage... hopefully you get the idea! You may choose any size of portrait - just ensure you provide the correct size image for your chosen background size.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail.

Please put "battlecontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{battlecontest-Portrait|Forumname}} (where "Forumname" is replaced by your own forum name!)

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates mousepad and playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean or indigo, but can be black or gold. In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the mousepad and playing cards if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
May 31st 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.

Also, take note of the way
some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Jun 3, 2009 5:37:09 AM]
[Apr 29, 2009 4:22:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - After The Battle edition [deadline 31st May 2009] Reply to this Post

We have a slightly overlap this month - so don't upload any entries to the YPPedia until the Party edition has closed! :)
[May 1, 2009 1:26:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - After The Battle edition [deadline 31st May 2009] Reply to this Post

Yay!

That's all.
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[May 1, 2009 1:33:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

We have a slightly overlap this month - so don't upload any entries to the YPPedia until the Party edition has closed! :)
What if it's already there? :P

Re-enter this:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Image:Art-Nordenx-1pbg-boxing.png
Nordenx of Viridian as always.
ENTRY:

Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[May 1, 2009 3:12:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Emoxcore2

Re-enter this:
ENTRY:

My GOD, Amazing as usual Nordenx.
[May 1, 2009 7:36:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
myspace978

Re-enter this:
ENTRY:

My GOD, Amazing as usual Nordenx.

Dayum Nice :P
Sale Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=172262&offset=0#2386452

Bored Lantis Driver & Poker Player.
~~Jesee~~
[May 1, 2009 2:22:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Not a shocker that Nordenx proves his geniusness and makes another fantastic portrait background. Very nice, indeed!
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[May 1, 2009 6:44:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Littlewolfe3

*Giggles* Way to stay on top of the game Nordenx!! That looks great, btw :)
Littlewolfe on Midnight ;P

http://s2.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=117634
I play with the vamps and wolves! Hoowwlll!!

[May 4, 2009 10:23:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revan95

What do u think about this idea.
a ship comminh out off gun powder smoke with tattered sail and damaged hull.
Fostas on the hunter ocean.
Officer in the Imperial hunter.
Member off the flag The eye
[May 4, 2009 11:44:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Complete side rail of this particular theme....

Is it possible for the developers to do their magic so the pirates in a 2-person portrait could stand back to back for certain scenes? Happy-lovely scenes always go face to face... platonic-friendly scenes and the pirates face the same direction.... but two pirates who have fought bravely together would most certainly have done so back to back :)

LOL unless they've been fighting each other I suppose.

Just a thought.
Dexla d'Midnight
[May 4, 2009 4:09:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

Complete side rail of this particular theme....

Is it possible for the developers to do their magic so the pirates in a 2-person portrait could stand back to back for certain scenes? Happy-lovely scenes always go face to face... platonic-friendly scenes and the pirates face the same direction.... but two pirates who have fought bravely together would most certainly have done so back to back :)

LOL unless they've been fighting each other I suppose.

Just a thought.

This is an awesome suggestion for a 2 person... It give me so many ideas ^_^ now all I have to do is figure out which is worthy of a background.
Cambiata,
~Currently pillaging the Obsidian Ocean~
from the Viridian (now Meridian) ocean

[May 4, 2009 5:21:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

My Captain-- I mean, Cambi =D wrote: 
This is an awesome suggestion for a 2 person... It give me so many ideas ^_^ now all I have to do is figure out which is worthy of a background.

Or do them all..

I'll get to work on my ideas (1 person and 4-5 person.. scribbled on my Business Calc Notes..) after I get everything done this week.. Finals next week mean lazing about after (Not.. We Homeschool a hyper 6 yr old now >.<)
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[May 5, 2009 6:42:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

So, I'm fiddling with an idea at the moment, and was looking for some feedback:

Sketches:

The idea is a blockade has just been won, and the new owners are moving into/ransacking the new fort. Your thoughts?
Phillite, Emerald
[May 6, 2009 12:00:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Phillite, I think your idea is great but you should try to make it clearer that there has been a blockade. I know that's just a plain concept, but right now two of the ships are completely covered by one of the pirates. If I saw the portrait right now I probably wouldn't get the blockade thing.
In short, I love the overall idea, but try to get the ships more visible :D
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[May 6, 2009 12:10:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Looting the damaged ship. Messy, I know.

I probably need to kick things around a bit so the pirate isn't overlapping everything.

SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[May 6, 2009 4:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Looting the damaged ship. Messy, I know.

I probably need to kick things around a bit so the pirate isn't overlapping everything.

Great sketch, Molasses! Perhaps to make sure the pirate isn't too much in the way, make the rigging and chest as high in the top right hand corner it you can, and the pirates closer to the side edges.

I can't wait to see more. :D
Phillite, Emerald
[May 6, 2009 3:00:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The "current entries" page on YPPedia can now be emptied again ready for the battle entries - I'm not sure how this was achieved before. If someone would post (or PM) instructions simple enough for A God Of Very Little Brain, I'm happy to do this myself. If it's not simple, then please could someone do it? thanks!
[May 6, 2009 4:03:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
crazejw

Probably not worth the time to enter, but I had entered an earlier version of this background years ago, tweaked it a little now and figured I'd toss it up. Any suggestions/tips/ideas would be great.

Joe, from the Emerald Shore
[May 6, 2009 5:12:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harlech

Crazejw,

That's excellent. A couple of things jump out at me immediately:

The sea is dead flat; It looks frozen. The texture is great, but the sea meets all objects at a dead flat line. if the seamonster is thrashing around, there should be agitation: froth, waves, ripples, splash.

The action is flat. I don't mean boring, I mean where your kraken and mast meet the water is again a straight line. It makes them both feel two dimensional. Fill your kitchen sink half full of water. Throw in your garden hose and a lug wrench. (That's yer monster and mast.) Tangle 'em up! Copy the parts that work. Photograph and trace if need be. Nothing in yer sink will meet anything in a straight line. Free dynamism!

Lightsourcing. I'm guilty of this myself, but your light's coming from different directions for different objects. Grab a desk lamp and point it at the mess in your sink. Turn off other lights. the strong shadows will really help emphasize the form. (Granted, the pirate in the foreground doesn't have a strong shadow, but we can work that out later.)

In short, I really like it. You may get some argument that this is during rather than after the battle. The way I see it: if the ship's already underwater, there isn't mush of a battle happening anymore.

p.s. I'm serious about the sink.

@ Nova
I reckon you're totally right, mate. I've already begun redrawing to shuffle things around as you advised. Congrats on nailing the last competition. It was well deserved. :)
SIXTH Puzzle, Win an Avatar.
[May 6, 2009 5:40:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

@ Crazejw

Harlech gave you some valuable tips there, making the sea more "alive" would definitely improve the portrait so much already.

I want to add that you should pay attention to how portraits get cropped (see link in OP). If this would be your final entry, after cropping, the pirate taking a portrait would stand somewhere floating on the water (I believe most of the sloop in front would get cropped out, correct me if I'm wrong, someone).

Edit: sea, not see, d'oh
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ikketje at May 7, 2009 4:35:47 AM]
[May 7, 2009 4:35:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

(rough) Sketch!

To-do:
> Move the foreground ship up for a better sense of a damaged ship when cropped
> Move the sinking vessel in the background a little to the right for cropping purposes
> More damage! (IE: holes in the deck, cracks in the railings, that sort of thing)
> Debris in the water
> Pirates fleeing from the sunken vessel

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sharktailz at May 7, 2009 12:38:14 PM]
[May 7, 2009 12:16:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Ivole

Here's my quick sketch. I know it's pretty messy, you don't have to tell me... it's a sketch after all :P.

I dunno whether I'm going to go through with it or not, I'll see what you guys think first :)

Ivole
Death Wish
Eternal Glory
[May 7, 2009 2:58:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    I am your conscience. [Link]  Go to top 
myspace978

(rough) Sketch!

To-do:
> Move the foreground ship up for a better sense of a damaged ship when cropped
> Move the sinking vessel in the background a little to the right for cropping purposes
> More damage! (IE: holes in the deck, cracks in the railings, that sort of thing)
> Debris in the water
> Pirates fleeing from the sunken vessel

Rough sketch? Pfft, it'll take me years to do that lol...
Sale Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=172262&offset=0#2386452

Bored Lantis Driver & Poker Player.
~~Jesee~~
[May 7, 2009 3:31:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Sharktail, let me just say I LOVE the white edges of the waves on the foreground <3
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[May 7, 2009 10:53:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Progress!

I still have a long way to go to make this look closer to the theme, but it is still the shell of my background. I still need the ships in the water, some greenery, more indoor items, etc. I also need to decide what to mounted on the plaque. I'll probably go with a shark jaw.

Any feedback on what I've done so far would be great. :)
Phillite, Emerald
[May 8, 2009 1:22:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Ow! The awesomeness knocked me over!

That's seriously incredible, Phil.

[May 8, 2009 1:34:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
chibilover

Shark, I like the way you think.
Princessina on Meridian.

[May 8, 2009 3:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

These two people above me have VERY similar Ideas to mine.. except mine has three damaged ships (or did I add a fourth?) and one, seemingly undamaged (Was one of two hearties navving? O.O) one, that pirates stand on. Anyway, i haz rough, un-sized sketch..

I'll link: Here

So other than sizing (Major, no doubt) and color, what is needed?

[May 8, 2009 6:19:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
jac630

Padme: That's quite nice! Some things I'd like to point out.

1. The wheel of the ship needs to be brought to the front of the ship and turned around 90 degrees, so when the helmsman is driving, he's looking towards the front and not to the side.

2. I'm not sure I see much flotsam. Why not scatter bits of wood around the water?
Mariomario on Cobalt
Babel on Ice
Shiroji on Viridian
[May 8, 2009 6:32:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.nintendo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Padme: That's quite nice! Some things I'd like to point out.

1. The wheel of the ship needs to be brought to the front of the ship and turned around 90 degrees, so when the helmsman is driving, he's looking towards the front and not to the side.

2. I'm not sure I see much flotsam. Why not scatter bits of wood around the water?

Rough colored bit, and I'll add the wheel and shading next, along with re-doing the far ships. Then I'll add drift-wood and such. Also, is there a way to add more definition to the far, jumping people? My brother thought we were throwing crabs overboard :O

Thanks!

[May 8, 2009 2:50:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 155   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates