• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 66
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 56488 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
sweetnessc

Re: Pirates with Disabilities Reply to this Post

The other functional one is the attack warning in swordfighting and rumble. But I turned off most of the sounds the day they released the incongruent music every time you stepped in a shop so you're not missing much. There are a few cool effects like spooky CI and wicked cannonfire in blockades, but they're not critical to gameplay (and most also have visual indicators, like shaking carp pieces).
----------------------------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Dec 20, 2010 7:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Question from a hearing-impaired pirate here:

Do the sounds of the game mean something in game play?
Which puzzles do they make a difference to?

What am I missing, by not being able to hear certain frequencies at all, and not being able to hear others unless they're turned up too loud for anybody near me to stand it?

Thank you very much, in advance.

I play with all the sound off as a personal preference. The only thing you might be missing that is important is the occasional "Whistle" when an officer is ordering people to stations. If you keep one eye on the chat, though, you should see the notice.

I play with the sound off 99% of the time, and the only puzzle that i have had any trouble with is rumble. I judge when to release charged balls by the sound they are making, but that really barely makes a difference with practice.
In swordfighting, the sounds can be helpful so you know when a sword is coming, but you can usually see those anyway.
As for the other puzzles, as long as you're watching carefully, there is nothing that the sounds tell you that the screen does not.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Dec 20, 2010 8:00:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Aye, the sound is basically for atmosphere. It's handy sometimes because I can hear if something is happening when I'm looking at another window, but if you pay better attention to the game than I do, that shouldn't be an issue. It's also good for keeping track of how many people are dying in battles, but like the whistles, that's also shown on-screen.
[Dec 20, 2010 8:59:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sharkie54

I agree with the above post that sound is for atmosphere, however, if this hadn't been mentioned before, is there any way possible that the sound can be utilised to help disabled pirates?

I think that would open the game to people with limited vision, and I also think that graphics mods might help with this. As said before, having shapes which move when something happens (e.g. carp) is always useful if you have a sight problem because it makes it identifiable easier.
[Dec 30, 2010 11:20:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

A great thread, though somewhat of a tear-jerker. keep pulling, pirates with disabilities. Wish there was more I could do to help.
Wait! I have an idea...
Disabled pirate familiar tourney/contest!
May have some glitches (i.e. "i'm disabled, too! (when I put one hand over my eyes) hurr hurr)
Comments? Am I insulting anyone (I have the inadvertent tendency to do that--sorry!)? Perhaps there could be tourneys for specifically disabled pirates (i.e. Pirate's Colorblind familiar Tourney!)?
Anyway,
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CillisC123 at Feb 5, 2011 4:16:24 PM]
[Feb 5, 2011 4:13:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Instatest

No way that you can run tourneys without some noobs pretending to be disabled. But if there's a way to help then i would just pillage and job everyone. I often do pillages on a sloop with tons of booty. Without the selectivity. There should be voice controlled puzzling =D (lol)
[Jun 13, 2011 1:57:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Aliyah

I have long since given up on listening to the game as a whole as what I can versus cannont hear is a huge distraction. I am very quick to catch a change in color chat, so the red whistles for TH are a bonus and very much appreciated and the green for crew on / off means that I can generally greet all crewmates as they log on. I can see the swords coming in SF and play close attention to my teaming to make sure whoever hasn't died or wandered off. In rumble, I watch the ball glow and have it timed now.
~Thank yer lucky stars Lily isn't bnavving!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lady_Aliyah at Jun 13, 2011 5:26:47 PM]
[Jun 13, 2011 5:23:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Qupido

I used to play this other game with someone who had to use one of those mouth operated joystick things.. He could do just about everything needed, full keyboard control, mouse everything. Sure he was a little slow controlling the character than the rest of us, but what he could do amazed me. Technology really is amazing.

I really dont have any contructive advice or anything, just wanted to share my amazement :)
[Jul 13, 2011 9:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soar

Ahoy

By chance, is there anything I can do to help?

Building QM taught me a lot about the game interface. If I learnt a bit more of some about the problems, I might be able to put together a helper tool to make the interface more accessable to players with various disabilities.

There are no cooler devs than OOO devs, and if we drew up some concepts designs and run it by them I'm sure they will give us their ear.

What kind of kind of things are on the wishlist?

Arbedar!
Tailspin
[Sep 8, 2011 6:03:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angelbaby82

I have fibromyalgia, and I have been playing this game for many years. There have been periods of time when I go stagnant for awhile, but I am back now. My experiences have been quite different from most people. I have never been yelled at on a pillage or any of the new adventures. I jobbed on several types of ships/events last night alone, and I enjoyed the entirety of it. I remember though when I first started playing that I found a great group of people to join in as crew, and I now finally have my own crew under their flag. I have made new hearties through them and the various weddings I have attended as well. It is a beautiful thing to play this game.

My advice for players with illnesses that look like lupus/multiple sclerosis/fibromyalgia/lyme disease is to do your best and if you need to take a break for the pain then simply do so when not in a battle. Often times for me it is just like going to the lpr. I know for some people though it is more intensive. Leave a ship if you need to, but be sure to leave on good terms with the captain of that vessel. If you do then, you will likely be jobbed again. I've found that most people just want a pirate who will puzzle to the best of their ability and not spend a lot of time lazing about or in the crows nest.

I find that I do NOT need to communicate my disability in game. I can find ways around outing my needs by passing them off on things like needing to find my glasses haha. The truth is though that there is no need in pirate land or in the real world to make people feel like an outcast for something like this. I used to teach special ed classes and the most important thing was helping everyone live up to their own potential whatever level that may be.

anyone is more than welcome to job with my crew or send me a message any time.
Fear me when I borrow the Carnivorous Guppy!
[Sep 15, 2011 4:07:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    angelindisstress    PunkyDoesDallas [Link]  Go to top 
Tredge

Perhaps disabled people could have a special symbol on their pirate page and their names could show up red or something.

I certainly disagree with this suggestion however many thanks for your input. I am sure your intentions were not to harm anyone's feelings.

Just keep in mind, if Y!PP was to implement such a feature, it would not only single out pirates but it would also create a somewhat ambiance of hierarchy such as we face day-to-day in real life situations- we do not need this.

Pirates whom are disabled will likely be offered (if not already) different moderations to the game to better suit their needs and that should be sufficient enough. Y!PP is changing everyday and the developers are always working to better present the game to us.
Tredge, Miridian (Viridian) of Shantaram!
Click for eargasm...
[Jan 9, 2012 6:51:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stayclassy

As I'm too unaware to be reading but with a friend on the game who is partially deaf, I feel he is given an unfair advantage because he is a great player who is unable to receive a fair advantage with of course things like Cading (Damn Ventrilio) and with some sound effects in the game that helps some players to an advantage. Don't hate on the death.

And on the point someone should be used to show if a person is disabled, I think that is utter BS. Your discriminating a player and that is wrong. As a player with the disability of suffering from being color blind, I would feel like a (sorry for the reference, it is the clearest and best comparison that I can think of), a Jewish person in a concentration Camp. Don't do that to players who don't deserve it.
Nopolitics
[Jan 9, 2012 7:12:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tredge

As I'm too unaware to be reading but with a friend on the game who is partially deaf, I feel he is given an unfair advantage because he is a great player who is unable to receive a fair advantage with of course things like Cading (Damn Ventrilio) and with some sound effects in the game that helps some players to an advantage. Don't hate on the death.

And on the point someone should be used to show if a person is disabled, I think that is utter BS. Your discriminating a player and that is wrong. As a player with the disability of suffering from being color blind, I would feel like a (sorry for the reference, it is the clearest and best comparison that I can think of), a Jewish person in a concentration Camp. Don't do that to players who don't deserve it.

I agree with you. Those whom are deaf are given an unfair advantage as the sounds do add to the game. Perhaps Y!PP could have a feature we could toggle that was hearing-impaired friendly such as subtitles on movies/tv shows.
Tredge, Miridian (Viridian) of Shantaram!
Click for eargasm...
[Jan 10, 2012 1:10:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nurage

Just a suggestion as ive been reading through alot of threads today, and remembered the /greeter one whilst reading,

how about a /dgreeter chat for 'specific' members only, those who have applied or spoken to an OM, who qualify for this and have a reason, i.e. may be something themselves, work in a school which helps people, i hope you know what im getting at?

a special chat for those members to ask how the game runs and improvements and special colours etc to them.

in this suggestion they may be able to change there colour to say red for only those pirates who for instance tick a box when signing up, or if that sounds abit dividing ignore that.

i don't think i have put across the point correctly so please no major critisms :)

(just edit and adapt)
Nurage on the Viridian Ocean
Orpheous on the Meridian Ocean
[Feb 9, 2012 11:34:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Njaul

This goes back to some post's near the start about an issue with SMH i just thought id say this...

In game name is Clearshot and if u ever want to be on a CI or Atlantis just send me a PM i don't play for POE i play because i can hell ive gave my capt a WB for Haunted seas he sunk it so i gave him a WF (he sunk that 2 lol) im willing to job anyone willing to work pretty much :)

(i apologize for cutting off the chat u are having)

i agree somewhat with what Nurage is saying partially u may want to edit your post or post again so that it will be easier to understand.
[Apr 17, 2012 1:15:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WHMTaque

Perhaps disabled people could have a special symbol on their pirate page and their names could show up red or something.

I'll also agree against this. But I do like the idea of having a private chat channel for disabled pirates but I'm unsure as to how easy that is to implement or maintain.

My disability is "invisible", and I kind of prefer to keep it that way except when I'm participating in the websites dedicated to Ehlers-Danlos HM, connective tissue disorders, or chronic illness in general. When I worked retail, it was not uncommon for my dominant arm to loose signal all together. I do my best to maintain that it doesn't normally happen, so the worst I've had happen during gaming is my medicines kicking in very suddenly and forcing me to lie down with not much warning.

As mine's progressive, I've seen a big change over the past few years in my gameplay. On the SMHs, I station rather than defend, because it's easier doing a slow continuous puzzle rather than jumping around teams with swords. I can't change teams as easily in SF rounds as that requires a much faster movement than my joints will allow. If there was a shift+arrow or the like to either shift to a team or away from a team that would be much gentler than reaching over for my mouse mid game.

As a lot of continuous puzzling makes me sore, it's not really uncommon to see my pirate just sitting around listening to people. I still enjoy YPP, but I try not to worry about getting things to the high competative levels even if I'd really like to.

For the Deaf and hearing-impaired, I'd love it if there were settings to put sound subtitles with different sensitivity settings (eg, all sounds or whistles and alerts only).

I'm not sure how easy it is, or if it would help, but perhaps for colorblind players, OOO could implement a high contrast piece set that could be turned on? Like making the patterns stand out more on the various pieces to be seen easier. Drinking could use an added color tag written on top of the shapes when activated. Also maybe an X for yourself rather than the colored dot for where you are in teams.
Emerald Ocean: Taque
Where have all the Mala-cats gone?
[Jul 29, 2012 4:37:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

You know that "A" and "S" are default keys for switching teams, and can be customized in Ye->Options->Puzzle keys?
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 29, 2012 7:09:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
WHMTaque

You know that "A" and "S" are default keys for switching teams, and can be customized in Ye->Options->Puzzle keys?

Son of a gun, are they? Well, I don't know how I've managed to overlook them, but I'll be setting them to something more to my taste for me to use that doesn't risk dislocating my elbow in game excitement.

Thanks a ton, you have relieved me of a big source of frustration. XD
Emerald Ocean: Taque
Where have all the Mala-cats gone?
[Jul 29, 2012 9:00:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

Hi there!

Short story :
A while back, a very colour blind player in help asked for my assistance. He wanted to sell an elephant, but in the Puzzle Pirates society, colour does affect how much Pieces of Eight a player is willing to pay for it (which in this case, it was a limited edition elephant). He asked me to help identify the exact 3 colours of his elephant.

What ended up happening was about a total of 3 greeters ended up in the same room staring at this elephant and comparing it to the colours shown available on the Yppedia page to be 100% sure that we were correct since lime and green were quite similar.

Suggestion :
Similar to a familiar, when scrolling over a pet, I would like it to state all its colours in text. For example, the situation with the elephant, it could be gold/white/purple.

Benefits of stating the colours of one's pet in text :
-Prevention of being "scammed" due to one's disability (Whether the colour blind player is purchasing or selling)
-Convenience of seeing what the colours are

Disadvantages of stating the colours of one's pet in text :-
-
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

You can host as many as you want!
Have a great day :)
-CLotho

Event Run Count : 6
[Edit 1 times, last edit by edward12321 at Apr 28, 2013 12:09:56 PM]
[Apr 28, 2013 12:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Like with trinkets, this will be very hard to code, but I do support it.
[Apr 28, 2013 4:36:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Not entirely sure why it'd be hard to code. I mean, they do it for clothing already...
[Apr 28, 2013 9:43:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Not entirely sure why it'd be hard to code. I mean, they do it for clothing already...

This is probably a classic case of being a "Small matter of programming". It looks easy, but it isn't.

The data structure used to display clothes and familiars in the booty probably contains the colors, while other items in the booty use a different data structure that doesn't have color information. The colors are stored somewhere, but in a different data structure that isn't easy to get to from within the booty display code. They may be using generic routines to display all the non-clothing items in the booty, which means that items without colors (bid tickets, deeds, badges, charts(?), potions, etc.) would have to know that colors shouldn't be displayed and even ones that have colors, you might need access to color palette information and such.

I can easily see why this could be a mess and not as important to spend limited programmer time on as other things.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 29, 2013 4:29:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Yeah, but, trinkets are sorted in the booty by colour. So are pets. Colour information is clearly being stored somewhere.
[Apr 29, 2013 5:28:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Yeah, but, trinkets are sorted in the booty by colour. So are pets. Colour information is clearly being stored somewhere.

Yes, the colors have to be stored somewhere, but the developers have said on more than one occasion that it is hard to get to. For example, the pictures of trinkets and such could be stored as an "image-number" in the data structure used in the code to display the booty. The image-number *may* just happen to be created in order of color (and type of trinket) and used to sort on, but trying to figure out the color from the image-number may be very very hard to do.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 29, 2013 6:13:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I'll admit I don't really know the finer technicalities, but I can tell you the colour of familiars based on the image number. If I could remember. It's Secondary*X+Primary, but I can't remember what X is. 72, or something in that range.

Edit: No, wait. That's not helping my case at all, because familiars already show their colours in the mouse-over text.

Um... sorted by colours!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at Apr 29, 2013 3:32:15 PM]
[Apr 29, 2013 1:59:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rialenth

It did occur to me, while reading through this thread, that some help may be given to pirates with movement disabilities who struggle with teaming in SF/Rumble.

Grab yourself a buddy or two - close friends who know that you struggle with swapping teams quickly, so you don't have to tell some stranger your life's story if you don't want to. This should preferably be a player who has had enough experience with the puzzles that they can differentiate your 'dot' from everyone else's. (Having a fairly unique color combo on your sword and bludgeon would probably help.)

This way, when the enemy you're on die and you get swapped to a new enemy, it's up to your buddies to track where you're going and follow you if needed, instead of you having to keep track of who is teamed where.

I know that as a "normal" pirate, I often forget to reteam in the height of battle, and I've used this system effectively with friends who are quicker witted than me.

I think it would be great, too, if each ocean had a post listing pirates who would be willing to be buddies if they were spotted on a pillage - no questions asked. I know that on Emerald, I would be happy to be a buddy on any shop, for anyone, no questions asked, no extra information necessary.
Rialenth says, "I would also like the triumph of a good, clean, honest cannonball to Debotton's face."
[May 9, 2013 1:55:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyw

I wish that I had seen this thread sooner. First of all, if there is anyone that has limited or no arms/hands/fingers movement ... please send me a PM. I have several suggestions that will help with using the keyboard to play the puzzles.

Now, may I point something out to non-disabled players, OMS, designers and anyone else involved in Puzzle Pirates ... having a disability usually prevents a person from being able to puzzle as well as a non-disabled player. This can create a huge disadvantage when it comes to familiar tournaments, SMH/CI runs, etc. So many players focus on stats. Imagine watching the NB every day hoping someone will take you along on a CI trip but knowing that your disability prevents you from being hired by "stat tarts".

Put a long stick in your mouth and try to SF or rumble or even try typing. I hope it will help you to appreciate the courage and determination that disabled people exhibit every day of their lives.

I adore you - you are exactly right - try to negotiate controls and all the way less able bodied do and then wax lyrical about all else.
[May 25, 2013 4:25:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpLGpbGdo2c

This is my crew mate David Bradley , he has Cerebral Palsy.
This short video explains how he communicates with other pirates . Its easier for him if people know . A little extra time waiting for a response or to get to a station is very helpful . Enjoy watching .

His pirate name is Deialar and plays Cerulean Ocean .
Blackhammer.
[Jul 16, 2013 10:10:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpLGpbGdo2c

This is my crew mate David Bradley , he has Cerebral Palsy.
This short video explains how he communicates with other pirates . Its easier for him if people know . A little extra time waiting for a response or to get to a station is very helpful . Enjoy watching .

His pirate name is Deialar and plays Cerulean Ocean .

Are you sure he didnt mind you posting his RL name??? At any rate, he's so nice and one of my best ypp friends :)

I like this thread, I think it would be so nice of YPP to implement players with disabilities and it may even help the company gain a larger playerbase.
Tinycat on Cerulean
Disclaimer: I purposely bring drama into peaceful conversations.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PirateYoHo90 at Sep 29, 2013 11:06:00 PM]
[Sep 29, 2013 11:04:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

He asked for this to be posted :).
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Oct 1, 2013 8:44:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates