• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 180
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28560 times and has 179 replies Next Thread
DubRub

Re: Alchemy Gallery Reply to this Post

54x wrote: 

A seven-colour fill would take incredible amounts of both luck and skill.

Agreed. As RD pointed out, the main problem in getting 7 colours is that one of your coloured bulbs will only have three exits. You need to get lucky with pipes if you were to use all of three exits.
----------------------------------------
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Nov 3, 2004 10:38:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorelei

RedDog wrote: 
...okay! So I think we need to clarify I want to see a six colour fill. Five and quicksilver won't cut it. Six and quicksilver would just blow my socks off, but if anyone gets five and a quicksilver then screen shot it and post it. I don't want to hear about it I want to see it.

You probably have found where I posted:
Quicksilver is for pansys!

http://www.geocities.com/lorelei1138/Wicked.jpg
and the setup:
http://www.geocities.com/lorelei1138/Wicked_setup.jpg
But if you haven't, here it is.
Arrogance does not make the best Sailors, friendly teamwork does.

There’s always a bigger fish -Qui Gon

Ahhh! A great warrior. (laughs and shakes his head) Wars not make one great. -Yoda

[Nov 3, 2004 11:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorelei

RedDog wrote: 
Duh! That really is stating the obvious and I think we all know that.

Duh! I hadn't thought of quicksilver, but...

You do see the Irony of putting these two sentences back to back don't you? I know what you meant, but it does give me a chuckle.
Do also look for RD's post. It is some nice work.
Arrogance does not make the best Sailors, friendly teamwork does.

There’s always a bigger fish -Qui Gon

Ahhh! A great warrior. (laughs and shakes his head) Wars not make one great. -Yoda

[Nov 3, 2004 11:41:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Lorelei wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 
Duh! That really is stating the obvious and I think we all know that.

Duh! I hadn't thought of quicksilver, but...

You do see the Irony of putting these two sentences back to back don't you? I know what you meant, but it does give me a chuckle.
Do also look for RD's post. It is some nice work.

Well done!

I had a bugger of a job finding your post even after being told about it, but I hadn't seen it and still haven't as Geocities stuff take forever to DL.

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Nov 4, 2004 12:07:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

RedDog wrote: 

What Skal has posted is not unusual from what I have seen. It is a pity there are so many wasted possiblities on that screen. To not use the bonus is a crime in itself.

Both filled bottles came out with 3 sparkles, and I was able to use the bonus later, so I was happy enough (though it would have been trivial to hook up more orange bottles). Is it really such a crime? (hope you never see my swordfighting boards...;)

~Skal aka Willbie
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Nov 4, 2004 12:54:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Skal wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 

What Skal has posted is not unusual from what I have seen. It is a pity there are so many wasted possiblities on that screen. To not use the bonus is a crime in itself.

Both filled bottles came out with 3 sparkles, and I was able to use the bonus later, so I was happy enough (though it would have been trivial to hook up more orange bottles). Is it really such a crime? (hope you never see my swordfighting boards...;)

~Skal aka Willbie

I believe that there are different score levels for 3-sparkle bottles instead of a set score for 3, 2 and 1 sparkle. That's probably what RedDog implied as you could have had a higher scoring fire burn by including the bonus. You also could have connected the 4th bottle to the purple route. or even better, connected the third bottle to the orange route to reveal the green layer, making the subsequent board more palatable as it seems that you have too many orange layers (especially after the red and blue colours fill up)

It's a 'crime' to us apoth-obssessed pirates :-)
[Nov 4, 2004 1:11:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

"3 Gleams + some" is, indeed, worth more than "just 3 Gleams." I can tell you this with a fair amount of certainty simply based on how the Rating System works for all Puzzles. For example, when the puzzle first came out it was quite easy to get 3 Gleams. At that point, barely 3 Gleams and 3 Gleams + some could be worth quite a lot since the minimum for 3 Gleams was still relatively low. The question now is: are we at a Point where the difference between "3 Gleams + some" and "just 3 Gleams" is insignificant?

Question: If she connected the fourth bottle to an Orange Multifill, would it skip the Purple and get the Oranges or would it break?
[Nov 4, 2004 2:31:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ajmarco

Shuranthae wrote: 
Question: If she connected the fourth bottle to an Orange Multifill, would it skip the Purple and get the Oranges or would it break?

From what has been said it should break since the Orange isn't the bottom color, i might go and test that with an alt.

However i did notice she could have filled the second bottle with orange by rotating 3 pieces or alternitavely the fourth bottle with purple by rotating 2 pieces =)
-Spotty
Captain - Hell Hath No Fury
Prince of Riot

[Nov 4, 2004 2:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

ajmarco wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 

From what has been said it should break since the Orange isn't the bottom color, i might go and test that with an alt.

I'm pretty sure I tried this and the bottle broke.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Nov 4, 2004 2:59:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Odm

I'm pretty sure it said that in the tutorial that it has to be the bottom bottle.
Whirligig, Not-so-active-officer of the Scuppering Seven Seas, Viridian
Drusilla wrote: 
Dionysus:Shore Leave :: Scupperer:Cnossos

[Nov 4, 2004 5:19:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Skal wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 

~Skal aka Willbie

I must admit to possibly being mistaken about leaving the bonus. I had a bonus last night that I couldn't use and it remained on the screen, I was under the impression it disappeared if not used. It could of course have been a second bonus but I doubt it. Up until now I have always used the bonus as soon as it appears, hence my line of thinking. This could well effect the way I play, yet again.

Other than that I think DubRub explained my thinking pretty well.

Crime? Well I hate waste, but if you can recycle then that is fine.

Seasnake

Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Nov 5, 2004 1:29:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

RedDog wrote: 
I must admit to possibly being mistaken about leaving the bonus. I had a bonus last night that I couldn't use and it remained on the screen, I was under the impression it disappeared if not used. It could of course have been a second bonus but I doubt it. Up until now I have always used the bonus as soon as it appears, hence my line of thinking. This could well effect the way I play, yet again.

Other than that I think DubRub explained my thinking pretty well.

Crime? Well I hate waste, but if you can recycle then that is fine.

Seasnake

The tokens don't go away if you don't use them. Not bonus, not multifill, not quicksilver.

However, if you have quicksilver bulbs at the top of your screen and you don't do a fill with them, they will still go away.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Nov 5, 2004 1:31:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

i claim the first wicked without quicksilver, setup fills or broken bottles. at least the first one posted here.

- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Nov 5, 2004 9:35:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

sweeeeeeeet!
[Nov 5, 2004 9:37:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

... and spicy!
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Nov 5, 2004 9:40:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Nice.
[Nov 5, 2004 10:00:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
daveeldredge

more on piece names and favorability Reply to this Post

Here's what I call the pieces, and what I think of them:

STAR
I hate this piece. It's a big roadblock for getting colors across the board.

PEACOCK or NBC
This piece is ok, but not that great. It's only saving grace is that you can combine colors and send them out in almost any direction and still have an empty space to prevent mud.

FLAT
One of my favorites, but not my most favorite. This piece like two Ys stuck together, and the empty side helps with keeping colors isolated.

STRAIGHT
A nice piece, but somewhat useless. It's much better when used in crossovers.

L
The bread and butter of the board. Again, somewhat useless all by itself.

Y
I don't really distinguish between these, because their usage is the same. Also, whenever you want a 'right' Y, you invariably get a 'left'. The Y is my favorite piece because is can be used as either a striaght, L, or short L in one place.

X
This piece is much like the Y, but the extra port gets connected to something it shouldn't more often than not.

SHORT L
I hates it. Almost as much as the star. This piece is useless all by itself and always gets in the way.

PEACE
This piece is actually very usefull. It's better at the top and bottom than the middle. At the top because it can shoot a color in one of almost any direction you want, and at the bottom becuase you can join colors or bottles fairly easily. In the middle they're ok, but are susceptible to making mud if it's in a congested area.

TRI
Hates em. These pieces get in the way and force you to break lines to go around them. A bad as stars, but only in a different way.

And Markoman, you are teh Alchemator! That non-Quicksilver voodoo is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!
[Nov 5, 2004 12:27:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Mixolyde wrote: 
I hate when there's a sharp elbow in the bottom row. This makes it impossible to fill that bottle. very frustrating! There should be a way for the server to check if at least one legal path exists to bottles. but i guess that's just part of the game.

Just hook it up to another colour so that it goes away when you click fill. You still can't use it in that turn, but odds are you'll get a better piece for subsequent turns.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Nov 5, 2004 1:16:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Re: more on piece names and favorability Reply to this Post

daveeldredge wrote: 
And Markoman, you are teh Alchemator!

Woo hoo, new sigline.
Markozeta
[Nov 5, 2004 1:25:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Re: more on piece names and favorability Reply to this Post

STAR
I hate this piece. It's a big roadblock for getting colors across the board.
[/quote]

With the pieces with more exits, you have to be much more careful about the pieces around them. They make it much easier for you to get ONE pipeline past, but much harder to get more than one past. Just be careful to make a path that doesn't involve any nearby pieces unnessecarily touching the 6-piece.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 5, 2004 5:38:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
ridestowe

dammit get over the freakin pieces! or at least make it a new topic so i dont hafta look at this while i'm eyeing people's amazing alch. skills.
Ridestowe Captain, They Might be Pirates | Lord, Tyr's Own
[Nov 5, 2004 10:20:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

The ringers don't even HAVE a sound for a 7-colour line up.

If you want to hear the sounds, paste these into your browser or wherever:

Note that this is the default adress.

Double Double!

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-puzzle-crafting-apoth\media\yohoho\puzzle\crafting\apothecary\double_color.wav

Toil and Trouble!

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-puzzle-crafting-apoth\media\yohoho\puzzle\crafting\apothecary\triple_color.wav

Fire Burn!

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-puzzle-crafting-apoth\media\yohoho\puzzle\crafting\apothecary\bingo_color.wav

Cauldron Bubble!

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-puzzle-crafting-apoth\media\yohoho\puzzle\crafting\apothecary\donkey_color.wav

Wicked!

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-puzzle-crafting-apoth\media\yohoho\puzzle\crafting\apothecary\vegas_color.wav

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Nov 5, 2004 10:55:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
AngryChair

My first 18 gleamer :)

In my experience a fire burn with a mixed color that has colors farthest apart will be worth 3 gleams.

I'm not sure how the bonus adds in, though.
[size=7]Sun shines in the bedroom when we play
the raining only starts when you go away

[Nov 6, 2004 12:03:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
54x

ridestowe wrote: 
dammit get over the freakin pieces! or at least make it a new topic so i dont hafta look at this while i'm eyeing people's amazing alch. skills.

If the tangental discussion continues I'll split the thread. Please remember your earlier warning- you just barely avoided having your post deleted. Stop being hostile on this forum. Yelling and being accusative are much worse for a Q&A forum than off-topic discussions, and I really don't feel like having to delete anyone's posts.

If people want to have a discussion about pieces, that's their business. If you want it split into its own thread, ask without insulting people who are just trying to develop terminology to discuss the puzzle. Thanks.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 6, 2004 12:31:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

It's the first drop I've had in a long time where I was happy with how it looked.
Markozeta
[Nov 6, 2004 10:04:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

So...Cauldron Bubble with 19 moves left?

I hate you.
I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
[Nov 8, 2004 1:52:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

My first Wicked! I didn't even realize it was a Wicked until I was looking at it after before I pressed Fill. I'm of the school where you don't pay attention to what combo you have, you just keep adding onto them until you no longer can.

I'm starting to suspect that there's a cap to how much of a score you can get in one Fill, though I've suspected as much for other puzzles as well. If that's correct, the talk of 3 Gleams+ is really inconsequential then.
[Nov 8, 2004 2:11:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Shuranthae wrote: 

After viewing the 4 Wickeds that have been posted, it is as I suspected. Almost all of the peices at the top, just off to one side are crossovers. You really need a lot of crossovers in that area to make a Wicked.

Shuranthae wrote: 
If that's correct, the talk of 3 Gleams+ is really inconsequential then.

Great...
Markozeta
[Nov 8, 2004 2:22:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Shuranthae wrote: 
"Wicked Image"
My first Wicked! I didn't even realize it was a Wicked until I was looking at it after before I pressed Fill. I'm of the school where you don't pay attention to what combo you have, you just keep adding onto them until you no longer can.

Along with the other ones....DAMN that's pretty. I sware Ive never gotten that many crossovers on a single board...ummm, really, never :-P
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Nov 8, 2004 2:28:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

kaykordeath wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 
"Wicked Image"

Along with the other ones....DAMN that's pretty. I sware Ive never gotten that many crossovers on a single board...ummm, really, never :-P

Shur might have gotten all those crossovers by keeping them from a previous fill and eliminating really bad pieces.
[Nov 8, 2004 2:38:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates