• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 180
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28561 times and has 179 replies Next Thread
Julephenia

Re: Alchemy Gallery Reply to this Post

Yeah, that tri-piece, the Y-one, is the one I like the most out of all the pieces.

I don't really see it in crossovers, I guess due to the shape, but it does help to connect to crossovers in sticky situations.
----------------------------------------
Oz is REAL, DAMMIT.
[Nov 1, 2004 3:56:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JCorrado

Suggestion, at least for this discussion:

\ |
\|
|
|

Branch

\ /
\/
|
|

Y piece

Johncorsair
(who apologizes for the horrible ASCII art.)
Johncorsair.

Watch this sig file for future signatures!
[Nov 1, 2004 4:33:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

JCorrado wrote: 
Suggestion, at least for this discussion:

\ |
\|
|
|

Branch

\ /
\/
|
|

Y piece

Johncorsair
(who apologizes for the horrible ASCII art.)

Hehe, I think the notation derived earlier would work better then.

In this case, it's 135 for the Y peice, and 146 for the Branch.
Markozeta
[Nov 1, 2004 4:36:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

You could call it the H piece

|
|
|\
| \

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Nov 1, 2004 4:54:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Let's use the Ringers' terminology.

all

all-but-one

all-right

bar

bend

crook-bottom

crook-top

cross

extreme-bend

peace

symmetric

Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Nov 1, 2004 5:12:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ayli

goodmanj wrote: 

Let's not. I think most of it it's horrible (all-but-one? crook-bottom?!?). The only decent name there is the "peace" piece, and the "symmetric" and "cross" are ok, but the rest are lacking.

On a related note, the 145 and 346 piece shall henceforth be known as the lambda piece!
\
|\

|
/|

[size=10]Ruby: because telling your grandkids how you singlehandedly beat those three light blue brigands just isn't the same
[Nov 1, 2004 6:04:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ridestowe

i'm wondering how to get quicksilver, i've NEVER gotten one. and its not like i'm a noob either, i'm grandmaster/solid.
Ridestowe Captain, They Might be Pirates | Lord, Tyr's Own
[Nov 1, 2004 9:18:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

ayli wrote: 
goodmanj wrote: 

Let's not.

Please. And let's call it "Red's Terminology" as I wouldn't call them that, and got confused sending him the graphics with those names.
[Nov 1, 2004 9:55:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

The symmetrical 3-way pipe is very irritating to have down the bottom. I'd suggest flushing it ASAP, along with the elbow-bends.

And I have NO IDEA what an octo-piece is. Are you thinking of the five-way pipe?

goodmanj wrote: 

all

6-piece.

goodmanj wrote: 
all-but-one

5-piece.

goodmanj wrote: 
all-right

Cis 4-piece/ K-piece.

goodmanj wrote: 
bar

Straight (piece).

goodmanj wrote: 
bend

Curve(d piece).

goodmanj wrote: 
crook-bottom

Y-piece.

goodmanj wrote: 
crook-top

Reverse Y-piece.

goodmanj wrote: 
cross

Trans 4-piece/ X-piece.

goodmanj wrote: 
extreme-bend

Elbow bend/curve.

goodmanj wrote: 
peace

CND-piece. (the symbol meant Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament before it meant "peace" ;P)

goodmanj wrote: 
symmetric

Symmetrical 3-piece.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 1, 2004 10:05:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Using terminology pulled from various plumbing supply and home improvement websites:

54x wrote: 

6-piece.

5-piece.

These don't seem to exist normally (no surprise), so I'd leave them at 5/6 piece (or better yet, 5/6-way joint).

Actually maybe "asterisk" or "splat" for the 6-way. ;)

Cis 4-piece/ K-piece.

Agreed. I like "K" myself. However, it's actual name seems to "Double-Wye" (see next).

Y-piece.

Reverse Y-piece.

This is apparently called a "Wye". ("Y", obviously.) I suggest calling them "right" and "left", depending on which way the side part sticks when pointing up.

Straight (piece).

How about... pipe? :)

Curve(d piece).

45-degree elbow

Elbow bend/curve.

90-degree elbow.

Trans 4-piece/ X-piece.

Cross. (Official name) X, if you like.

CND-piece. (the symbol meant Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament before it meant "peace" ;P)

Symmetrical 3-piece.

There are official names for these, but I'm having trouble finding them. (And my grandfather was a part-time plumber, too. You'd think I'd remember.) Although I'm tempted to call the symmetrical one "Flux". ;)

Not included in the puzzle, of course, is the "Tee" piece.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Nov 1, 2004 10:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

joedigriz wrote: 
90-degree... 45-degree

Or, 60-degree and 30-degree elbows.
[Nov 1, 2004 10:41:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Yeah, as Nemo points out, we're working off a hex grid here, and there are six directions.

This is apparently called a "Wye". ("Y", obviously.) I suggest calling them "right" and "left", depending on which way the side part sticks when pointing up.

I called them Y and reverse Y, because only one is the right way around to look like a Y if you write them like I do. This assumes you have them both rotated so that their crook is at the top. Personally, I like the letters and numbers the most- they make the shortest names. I've seen every piece from there on the board, although by no means are they every possible piece the ringers could have implemented. There are also a couple of crossovers, which would need to use the numbering system.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 1, 2004 10:47:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

54x wrote: 
Yeah, as Nemo points out, we're working off a hex grid here, and there are six directions.

Good point.

I called them Y and reverse Y, because only one is the right way around to look like a Y if you write them like I do.

Of course, neither one looks like a "Y" the way I write them (unless by "write" you mean "cursive", which I haven't seen anyone use outside of English class in a long, long time). Looks more like a tree-branch, me thinks. ;)

The "Y" piece, to me, is more clearly the Flux joint. But that's besides the point. I never am fond of labels like "standard" and "reverse", and always prefer "left" and "right", "up" and "down", etc. Easier for me to quickly identify. (Maybe that's just me, though.)

Personally, I like the letters and numbers the most- they make the shortest names.

For those pieces easily-described by it, yes, I agree.

There are also a couple of crossovers, which would need to use the numbering system.

I just want to find something better than the "12/45" system. That confuses the heck out of me, and doesn't lend itself to ease of description. That's why I'd have no problem with the "Peace" name (CND may have been first, but it's much more widely known as the peace sign. And I don't think "3-way extension plug" works.)
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Nov 1, 2004 11:01:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
LtPowers

Nemo wrote: 
joedigriz wrote: 
90-degree... 45-degree

Or, 60-degree and 30-degree elbows.
Or, 120- and 60-degree elbows...

Tamas
[Nov 1, 2004 11:39:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I write my "Y"s with a diagonal line starting at the top right, moving down to the bottom left. Then I add another diagonal line going down from the top left. This looks a lot like one of the "crook" pieces when you rotate it clockwise from its original position.

Y:

Reverse-Y:

from Midnight.
[Nov 2, 2004 4:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

All it says is Voodoo.

But it is a HUGE voodoo.

I booched screenie taking though, so you can't see it.
Markozeta
[Nov 2, 2004 5:40:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Markoman wrote: 

All it says is Voodoo.

But it is a HUGE voodoo.

I booched screenie taking though, so you can't see it.

That is absolutely beautiful.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Nov 2, 2004 5:42:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

I did it on an alt though ... but it was fun.

I think multifill peices spawn more when you have a lower rating.
Markozeta
[Nov 2, 2004 5:45:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'm impressed that you managed to do a voodoo with no quicksilver and only one colour.
from Midnight.
[Nov 2, 2004 6:14:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
rubirubia

ridestowe wrote: 
i'm wondering how to get quicksilver, i've NEVER gotten one. and its not like i'm a noob either, i'm grandmaster/solid.

I've found that after a fireburn or a high level toil and trouble (as in 2 of the 3 are mixed colors or its one high scoring mixed, like purple when the bottles are RYB). I see the quick silver show up. With the T&T I've also tried to fill as many bottles as possible.

Then again it doesn't always work but thats what I've started to notice as I alch.
Bloodymaddy wrote: 
yeah im so booched today

Las cosas mas raras pasan asi, de pronto.
Sebille | Moogles of Mayhem | I don't remember the flag...
[Nov 2, 2004 6:32:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    witty_indecision    rubirubia [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Wow, that's amazing. 12 layers, 5 bottles filled. You goin' to go fer the full 6 bottles now?
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Nov 2, 2004 8:13:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
54x

rubirubia wrote: 
ridestowe wrote: 

I've found that after a fireburn or a high level toil and trouble (as in 2 of the 3 are mixed colors or its one high scoring mixed, like purple when the bottles are RYB). I see the quick silver show up. With the T&T I've also tried to fill as many bottles as possible.

Then again it doesn't always work but thats what I've started to notice as I alch.

Actually, that sounds right to me. I've only recently moved up to doing Fire Burns, and I've ALSO only recently started getting many quicksilvers. There may well be a connection here.
from Midnight.
[Nov 2, 2004 10:02:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Okay let us see something spectacular. Who is going to be the first to show a six colour fill? The best I have managed is five, which is no big deal. I have filled and finished all the bottles with quick silver (but never thought to screen capture it) and done the same with three colours.

Has anyone managed to get all quicksilvers at the top yet?

How many bottles can you break and still get an 'incredible' and does it matter that much or at all if you break them? I broke three in one go and still got away with it. I am thinking that maybe it is better to get rid of those little bottles and only finish threes and fours.

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Nov 3, 2004 3:20:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

RedDog wrote: 
Two is the most you can get. Unless you somehow manage to get two quicksilver tokens on the screen at the same time, and even then, I don't think it will work. Putting four colors through a quicksilver crossover still only gives you two colors.

RedDog wrote: 
How many bottles can you break and still get an 'incredible' and does it matter that much or at all if you break them? I broke three in one go and still got away with it. I am thinking that maybe it is better to get rid of those little bottles and only finish threes and fours.

Breaking a bottle doesn't subtract from your score. It doesn't make any difference at all, as long as it wasn't a bottle you were using. It does subtract from the number of moves you can make later, so you might cost yourself some points that way, but not very much.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Nov 3, 2004 3:34:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

RedDog wrote: 
Okay let us see something spectacular. Who is going to be the first to show a six colour fill?

RD did one with Quicksilver. A crewmate of mine did the first natural fill. She is working on the seven color fill.
Markozeta
[Nov 3, 2004 3:55:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

Posted for it's double doublefill piece. Yum.
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Nov 3, 2004 5:19:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Rastigi wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 
Two is the most you can get. Unless you somehow manage to get two quicksilver tokens on the screen at the same time, and even then, I don't think it will work. Putting four colors through a quicksilver crossover still only gives you two colors.

I have had two quicksilver tokens and got three bottles at the top, so it is possible to get at least four. I noticed that passing quicksilver through a quicksilver token does not generate a quicksilver feeder on the next fill.
I had it twice in a row this morning and the second time I fed a colour through and generated quicksilver for a second time in a row.

Rastigi wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 

Breaking a bottle doesn't subtract from your score. It doesn't make any difference at all, as long as it wasn't a bottle you were using. It does subtract from the number of moves you can make later, so you might cost yourself some points that way, but not very much.

Handy to know that it doesn't detract from the score. I have had a few times when I could have had a better fill by breaking one or two at the end.

Rastigi wrote: 
Reddog wrote: 

Okay let us see something spectacular. Who is going to be the first to show a six colour fill?

RD did one with Quicksilver. A crewmate of mine did the first natural fill. She is working on the seven color fill.

Quicksilver doesn't count and what is this seventh colour?
There are six colours Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple unless you are going to put Brown in a bottle too.

What Skal has posted is not unusual from what I have seen. It is a pity there are so many wasted possiblities on that screen. To not use the bonus is a crime in itself.

Regards Seasnake

[Nov 3, 2004 9:49:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

RedDog wrote: 
Rastigi wrote: 
Reddog wrote: 

There are six colours Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple unless you are going to put Brown in a bottle too.

What Skal has posted is not unusual from what I have seen. It is a pity there are so many wasted possiblities on that screen. To not use the bonus is a crime in itself.

Regards Seasnake

Quicksilver only counts once, but it still counts. It counts seperate from any colours it actually fills, too, so you can use it to fill a colour which you need more than one pipeline for- eg. you can run down an orange pipe, and fill an orange bottle with quicksilver, too, and it'll be counted as a Double Double! :) This means you can have "seven" colours by using every colour, and getting a single quicksilver bulb on at least one of the outer nozzles. (you can't have one any of the inner nozzles though, because otherwise you can't get all of the six colours)

A seven-colour fill would take incredible amounts of both luck and skill.
from Midnight.
[Nov 3, 2004 9:56:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

54x wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 
Rastigi wrote: 
Reddog wrote: 

Regards Seasnake

Quicksilver only counts once, but it still counts. It counts seperate from any colours it actually fills, too, so you can use it to fill a colour which you need more than one pipeline for- eg. you can run down an orange pipe, and fill an orange bottle with quicksilver, too, and it'll be counted as a Double Double! :) This means you can have "seven" colours by using every colour, and getting a single quicksilver bulb on at least one of the outer nozzles. (you can't have one any of the inner nozzles though, because otherwise you can't get all of the six colours)

A seven-colour fill would take incredible amounts of both luck and skill.

Duh! That really is stating the obvious and I think we all know that.

Duh! I hadn't thought of quicksilver, but...

...okay! So I think we need to clarify I want to see a six colour fill. Five and quicksilver won't cut it. Six and quicksilver would just blow my socks off, but if anyone gets five and a quicksilver then screen shot it and post it. I don't want to hear about it I want to see it.

Seasnake 25 years following twisted chemical plant linework is finaly paying off.

[Nov 3, 2004 10:33:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Do a search for "wick.ed" with "lorel,ei" as the author, (don't mind me, I'm just discounting this thread from your search results) and you'll see that someone's already managed six colours without quicksilver.

EDIT: Please note that in terms of the combo mechanic, quicksilver counts as a colour. So saying "five and quicksilver" is confusing people, because it makes them think that quicksilver doesn't count. "Six with quicksilver" does the same job and describes the combo mechanic properly.
from Midnight.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by 54x at Nov 3, 2004 10:36:21 PM]
[Nov 3, 2004 10:36:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates