• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 180
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28540 times and has 179 replies Next Thread
Skal

Re: Alchemy Gallery Reply to this Post

Shuranthae wrote: 
Markoman wrote: 
Only 2. :(

Oh yes, I did this (out of boredom and curiosity, mostly boredom) a few days ago but forgot to post it.

What I want to know is why it chose the purple quicksilver token over the orange one. Wouldn't the orange fill first? (Left to right?)
----------------------------------------
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Nov 17, 2004 2:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Skal wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 
Markoman wrote: 
Only 2. :(

Oh yes, I did this (out of boredom and curiosity, mostly boredom) a few days ago but forgot to post it.

What I want to know is why it chose the purple quicksilver token over the orange one. Wouldn't the orange fill first? (Left to right?)

I'm guessing it does the Quicksilver choice from left to right in order of bulbs and not clears.
[Nov 17, 2004 3:07:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorelei

Markoman wrote: 

I am now the first to do both a natural Wicked and a Quicksilver Wicked.

I also like how this one looks...

Ok, I know you were very excited about your very cool natural Wicked, but don't belittle ALL the other good Alchemists out there, just because they haven't posted all their Wickeds. I'm sure there are a good number of us that have done both. We all know you're awesome, but be careful not to sound to "Nah Nah Neener Neener" We all know the best pirates are the one's who don't constantly try to convince others that it's a fact. Now Marko you're my mate and I know you weren't being egotistical about it. I know you meant it light hearted and fun, and you always do great and amazing things with the Alchemistry boards, and I'm glad you're a flag mate, but that post could be taken wrong by those who don't know you well enough.
That being said, that's a beautiful Wicked! Yay!

I know I've not been on the boards much so I will share a Wicked that with 4 junky fills I still didn't get the crucial pieces to get that damn 7th color, so my quest goes on, I'm hoping Marko you beat me to the 7 color punch, because I think you have an eye for it. We are so close to breaking that barrier I can taste it! Can't wait till I see the first shot of one (and my first 7 of course, whichever comes first). Wish I could spend more time online!

Those of you trying for the 7 can see how close that natural green path was. Damn wusy curve pieces spawning at top! Grrrr....

Arrogance does not make the best Sailors, friendly teamwork does.

There’s always a bigger fish -Qui Gon

Ahhh! A great warrior. (laughs and shakes his head) Wars not make one great. -Yoda

[Nov 18, 2004 2:28:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

Nice! but if ye didn't notice, the quicksilver part could easily be less complicated by combining the Y and the X pieces... :P
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Nov 19, 2004 1:20:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Well, the double-lined quicksilver serves to demonstrate "If only I had green, I had the 7-combo."

Anyway, I think we're relying too much on luck to get the 7-combo. It's all a matter of getting the right pieces to fall when you break out the quicksilver. But it doesn't have to be! I propose a new methodology:

Suppose the colors on top are Red, Yellow, Blue. We want a possible color setup on bottom of:

R, R, O, Y, G, B, B with a purple somewhere in the middle.

Now we do combo setup fills until the quicksilver piece spawns. Hopefully it spawns in the far left or right column.

Now, we can break out the quicksilver filling just one bottle in one column. At most we disrupt two columns, and we just need lucky pieces to at the top of these. But we don't even need to rely on luck here. If we have a double piece at the top of column 3, we'll be able to use column 2 no matter what spawns there.

So basically, you get the setup, then do junk fills until you get a board where the 7-combo is possible. THEN you break out the quicksilver and just do most of it as MSPaint had assured you you could, before you broke out the quicksilver.

ETA on the 7-combo: 1 day.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Nov 19, 2004 1:36:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorelei

RobertDonald wrote: 
Well, the double-lined quicksilver serves to demonstrate "If only I had green, I had the 7-combo."

Yes, it was to demonstrate that with some small switching either paths would work for green. If I was to get workable top pieces to drop.
RobertDonald wrote: 

Anyway, I think we're relying too much on luck to get the 7-combo. It's all a matter of getting the right pieces to fall when you break out the quicksilver. But it doesn't have to be! I propose a new methodology:

Suppose the colors on top are Red, Yellow, Blue. We want a possible color setup on bottom of:

R, R, O, Y, G, B, B with a purple somewhere in the middle.

yes, grooming a board is necessary, and the right half was all worked out before I used my quicksilver piece. But such a strict sequence isn't necessary if you utilize your kept crossovers well enough. And you are setting up this step prematurely (see below)
RobertDonald wrote: 

Now we do combo setup fills until the quicksilver piece spawns. Hopefully it spawns in the far left or right column.

If you are setting your bottles up so strictly even before you spawn a QS, you've already done too many fills! Because you need a couple nice Fire Burns or so to spawn a QS, and that jacks up all your set up of bottles, that you just spent too many fills getting set up.
RobertDonald wrote: 

Now, we can break out the quicksilver filling just one bottle in one column. At most we disrupt two columns, and we just need lucky pieces to at the top of these. But we don't even need to rely on luck here. If we have a double piece at the top of column 3, we'll be able to use column 2 no matter what spawns there.
I love how you said "But we don't even need to rely on luck here. If we have a double piece at the top of column 3" what else other than luck are you thinking provides a nice double on top of column 3! especially after doing big enough combos to get your QS.
Yes I agree you need to reduce the chances of the random "common" pieces jacking up the top spouts, but I think you are under estimating the amount of fills it takes to set up each row and each bottle the way you are suggesting. So I had only so many junk fill available to me without ruining the right side setup to where I had to gamble with that last fill that gave me the quicksilver bulb and of course it didn't pan out, yet! Plus the blue bottle I had to use was centrally located.
RobertDonald wrote: 

So basically, you get the setup, then do junk fills until you get a board where the 7-combo is possible. THEN you break out the quicksilver and just do most of it as MSPaint had assured you you could, before you broke out the quicksilver.
Yes well it sounds so easy, that’s why I think it's nice to know that you're going to post yours within 24 hrs
RobertDonald wrote: 
ETA on the 7-combo: 1 day.

Me, I have a lot to do in the real world so I might take my time, we'll see if I add your 30k if it's done on or before the 26th.
You wrote on Oct.26:
RobertDonald wrote: 
Lorelei, congratulations on yours. Too bad geocities has no bandwidth, I really want to see a Wicked! with no quicksilver. And good luck on getting past Wicked!, I'll give you 30k if you do. Offer valid for one month.
I do think it will be done by someone soon, it is just going to take some diligence.

Ps. MS paint wasn’t news to some of us who have been taking great notes since the beginning, be it MSPaint, Photoshop, dry erase markers on the monitor, or just pencil and paper.
Arrogance does not make the best Sailors, friendly teamwork does.

There’s always a bigger fish -Qui Gon

Ahhh! A great warrior. (laughs and shakes his head) Wars not make one great. -Yoda

[Nov 19, 2004 4:42:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Lorelei wrote: 
Ps. MS paint wasn?t news to some of us who have been taking great notes since the beginning, be it MSPaint, Photoshop, dry erase markers on the monitor, or just pencil and paper.

To be honest, she taught me this idea. I thought it was crazy until I tried it.
Markozeta
[Nov 19, 2004 4:45:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
maroon_beard

Lorelei wrote: 
Ps. MS paint wasn?t news to some of us who have been taking great notes since the beginning, be it MSPaint, Photoshop, dry erase markers on the monitor, or just pencil and paper.

Don't recommend that on a TFT monitor by the way.
Seadog,
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people -- Mr Garrison
[Nov 19, 2004 4:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mehmoo.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Markoman wrote: 
Lorelei wrote: 

To be honest, she taught me this idea. I thought it was crazy until I tried it.

Pffft, cheaters!

Half the time I don't even bother looking at the board or what colors are needed. I just start flipping.
[Nov 19, 2004 5:46:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Lorelei wrote: 
I love how you said "But we don't even need to rely on luck here. If we have a double piece at the top of column 3" what else other than luck are you thinking provides a nice double on top of column 3!

You have it there before you break your quicksilver.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Nov 19, 2004 6:12:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I know I"m no expert here, but this is the best one I"ve done so far. Before I noticed people came up with 'VooDoos' when all the bottles were filled at once. I finally got the setup, and Got a Witch Doctor out of it? Is this better/worse than A VooDoo?

Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Nov 23, 2004 5:45:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

What I find cute is that you paused the puzzle to take a screenie of it. :)

Witch Doctor is 10 bottles, Voodoo is all 11.

You didn't get credit for all the bottles in this picture because you have 3 that would be completed but only space for one at the bottom. (wait... wouldn't that mean 9 bottles which is... I forget. /me would look it up but is lazy.)
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Nov 23, 2004 6:43:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

I'm guessing the puzzle was paused to chat.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Nov 23, 2004 11:04:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

YEah, I was paused to chat, and just didn't unpause.. And the ones that weren't credited are the 4th, 7th and 10th (if I'm understanding you correctly).. But I'm still getting as if I did 10..

/me look around confused.. .
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Nov 23, 2004 11:41:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

You're not supposed to lose credit for any bottle, regardless. Kind of seems like a small booch caused you to lose credit for one of them, but that booch didn't affect the others.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Nov 24, 2004 12:46:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Well damn. So i suppose I got an honorary Voodoo. Still sucky :(
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Nov 24, 2004 12:48:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Rastigi wrote: 
You're not supposed to lose credit for any bottle, regardless. Kind of seems like a small booch caused you to lose credit for one of them, but that booch didn't affect the others.

This has been brought up before. I'm not sure but my guess is that although it booches what you see on the screen (e.g. a Fire Burn becomes a double double), there is no effect on the score of the bottle. I cannot remember if anyone confirmed this or not.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Nov 24, 2004 12:59:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

This raises another question.. would have the single full fill been better, or flip the middle piece at the top (under the yellow leftside spigot), and make it 2 fills, one 5, and one 6?
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Nov 24, 2004 4:35:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Gothmog1065 wrote: 
This raises another question.. would have the single full fill been better, or flip the middle piece at the top (under the yellow leftside spigot), and make it 2 fills, one 5, and one 6?

Once you get over 5, it's best to get higher in fills, unless you make 3 colors.

I would have gone with 5 yellow, 1 blue, and 5 quicksilver. It could be done.
Markozeta
[Nov 24, 2004 8:42:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Not the 7 color combo Reply to this Post

This is a wicked where the board had all the necessary attributes up-top to get a 7-color combo. Unfortunately I could not in all my MSPainting figure out a way to actually do it. This is probably because the bottom was so tight, and there were so many useless bottles in the middle, that my freedom in the bottom half was severely limited.

Please analyze this for a possible 7-combo then laugh heartily in my face that I blew it.

Other neat features: first Wicked that can flip between a Natural Wicked and a Quicksilver Wicked with two piece flips. (Would be one if the green connector was already oriented.)
Quizzical wrote: 

[Nov 26, 2004 11:38:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Poet

Scoring? Reply to this Post

I am amazed and envious at the ability I see on these screenshots.

I get to 12 or 13 Sparkles, but can't get over the hump to the 16 - 18 Sparkle territory. That being said, does anyone know the approximate relative values of the actual scoring? I need a bit of a clue as to what generates the points most effectively.

For instance, is Fire Burns with all single fills worth more or less points than Toil and Trouble with all three colors double fills?

Is three single color, double bottle fills worth more or less points than three doulbe color, single bottle fills?

Or, is a Double Double, both with 4 bottle fills worth more or less than a Quicksilver 8 Bottle fill?

Man, my head already hurts, just asking those questions...

I do love this puzzle, it has rapidly become my favorite.

Thanking the Ultimate Puzzlers in advance, a humble Legendary
[Dec 19, 2004 4:11:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Think of it this way:

Consecutive fills (double double, fire burn etc. )give multiplication bonuses
Simultaneous fills (or multiple bottles) give additive bonuses

Secondary colours are worth more than primary colours
Secondary colours from the first and third source (1/3) are worth more than the secondary colour from 1/2 and 2/3

The bonus icon is worth it. Use it to boost a weak bottle.
If a bottle is not sparkly or only one sparkle, do not complete it if you can afford to.

I can't give you an exact answer because the above is what I know. I have no idea of exact values. I just aim for consecutive fills and add multiple bottles to boost the score. I also aim to set up the next board as nicely as possible (by setting up colours as close as possible to the source, saving crossover pipes and getting rid of lousy pipes). I used to be top 10 ocean before my score went dormant (that's why I like to think I might know what I'm talking about :P)

Check your sparkles once in a while and aim to complete the more sparkly ones.
[Dec 19, 2004 5:05:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AngryChair

First quicksilver in use routed through a bonus and a multifill whilst actually putting the multifull to use.

That I've seen.

[size=10]Ahem

[size=7]Sun shines in the bedroom when we play
the raining only starts when you go away

[Dec 19, 2004 5:10:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Re: Scoring? Reply to this Post

Poet wrote: 
I am amazed and envious at the ability I see on these screenshots.

I get to 12 or 13 Sparkles, but can't get over the hump to the 16 - 18 Sparkle territory. That being said, does anyone know the approximate relative values of the actual scoring? I need a bit of a clue as to what generates the points most effectively.

For instance, is Fire Burns with all single fills worth more or less points than Toil and Trouble with all three colors double fills?

Is three single color, double bottle fills worth more or less points than three doulbe color, single bottle fills?

Or, is a Double Double, both with 4 bottle fills worth more or less than a Quicksilver 8 Bottle fill?

Man, my head already hurts, just asking those questions...

I do love this puzzle, it has rapidly become my favorite.

Thanking the Ultimate Puzzlers in advance, a humble Legendary

Markozeta, on the flag forums wrote: 
Woo hoo, glad someone asked.

3 sparkles come from doing any of the following combos:

1 Opposite color with:

2 Secondariess
1 Primary

Or

1 Secondary
2 Primaries

Or

3 Primaries, which 2 of them are double bottle+

3 sparkles also come from all Cauldron Bubbles, regardless of colors chosen.

Sometimes you can get 3 sparkles with just any 2 secondaries and 2 primaries, if you are filling only 4 color bottles. This is because filling 4 color bottles gives an extra small (but detectable) bonus.

2 sparkles are any fire burns, maybe some other special stuff. Aim for 3 sparkles, and if you hit a 2, shrug it off. I've learned that 16 gleams takes about half the time of an 18 gleamer, so it's a faster way to advance anyways.

Markozeta
[Dec 19, 2004 10:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

When you hit the top three, quality is much better than quantity. A few 18 gleams should help a lot more than a lot of 15-16 gleams.

Also it's not necessarily the size of the bottle you use that gives you the bonus (though it is indirectly), it's the layer. In theory, the bottom layer of a first level and fourth level bottom give the same bonus, and same with the seconds and so on...
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ashebrethafe

So, if I understand correctly how the quicksilver bonuses work:

Putting quicksilver through a quicksilver bonus gives you nothing;
Putting a primary color through a quicksilver bonus gives you 1 quicksilver bulb;
Putting a secondary color (or 2 different colors) through a quicksilver bonus gives you 2 bulbs.

Are you sure 2 is the maximum? I think you might be able to get 3 by putting brown sludge through a quicksilver bonus. Of course, that means you'd be wasting three nozzles to make the sludge, since it'll break any bottle it gets into.
[Dec 20, 2004 12:27:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

No, people have tried everyway to get 3 bulbs. It hasn't worked.

However, you only need one really. 2 actually hurts you in some situations...
Markozeta
[Dec 20, 2004 12:35:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Aye, you cannot get three bulbs. I think I've tried putting two secondary colours through a quicksilver icon but ended up with two bulbs at the extreme ends.

I have to agree with Markoman on this one. One QS bulb is more than enough. With a second QS bulb, you will end up with a terribly restricted board with not much gain in return.
[Dec 20, 2004 12:45:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cptnmike

can someone tell me what comes after cauldron bubble?
[Sep 25, 2005 5:37:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Wiki wins again

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/wiki/Alchemy
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Sep 25, 2005 6:15:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates