• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 180
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27782 times and has 179 replies Next Thread
Shuranthae

Alchemy Gallery Reply to this Post

In the interest of helping others become better (and inevitably raising the bar), I propose an Alchemy Gallery where people may post, observe, and possibly discuss this engaging puzzle. It is my hope that by seeing how others setup their board, the Ocean will rise in skill. If nothing else, this could simply be a place to observe some wonderfully executed boards. To keep this from being overly cluttered up, I asked that people post only one picture a day per person (unless the pictures are a series or something). I'll kick her off with something flashy.

Fire Burn!
Though technically that's supposed to be a Cauldron Bubbles. The message didn't count my sixth bottle because if the bottle was filled, I would have ended up with seven filled bottles in my queue. I also could have Doubled the Blue with two more moves had I not ran out of moves.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shuranthae at Oct 29, 2004 5:04:23 AM]
[Oct 29, 2004 5:04:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Re: Alchemy Gallery Reply to this Post

What order did you set the colors up in, and why?
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Oct 29, 2004 5:05:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

An old picture, but a good one. Also very educational, this picture demonstrates how complex this puzzle really is ... because of the opposite color bonus, this is a 3 star fill, despite only being a Toil and Trouble.
Markozeta
[Oct 29, 2004 5:09:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Rastigi wrote: 
What order did you set the colors up in, and why?

I did that yesterday, though I can barely remember it now (hehe). Lemme see if I can rework my logic.

It's probable that I either started with the orange or the yellow bottles. I look at all the possible bottle color options I have and pick a bottle with the fewest options to work on first (in this example, it's much easier to route a purple or blue down since there are more of them, and once you've routed a color you have less options so best to start with the hardest/lowest option route first). There's that and I have a tendency to start on either the right or left edges (usually right, no idea why).

Though looking at the picture, I almost want to say I started with the Red because that looks to be the most direct route. I could have gotten lazy seeing as I only needed to fill one more bottle to end the game and that means I have to include Red8 or Purple6.

Anyway, I'm going to wager I either went yellow, orange, red, purple, and blue or that same order but starting with red. To answer an important and yet unasked question, I typically look at the bottom of a board, top, then middle. Then I work on a few pipes on the bottle to set up easy access, set up a few pieces on the top, then tweak the middle a lot. The trick is to be able to setup the cross-over pieces without using a billion moves, and it's something your mind picks up on after playing with it.

Markoman wrote: 
Also very educational, this picture demonstrates how complex this puzzle really is ... because of the opposite color bonus, this is a 3 star fill, despite only being a Toil and Trouble.

I've actually be noticing this too, the distance bonus seems to be rather significant so setting up pieces and colors to go straight down isn't such a good idea as many believe.
[Oct 29, 2004 5:26:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
enKrypt

I don't remember what order I did it in whatsover.
[Viridian]Alysia - Crewless
[Midnight]Feint - Captain - Feint Mercenaries
[Oct 29, 2004 9:06:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

Markoman wrote: 

An old picture, but a good one. Also very educational, this picture demonstrates how complex this puzzle really is ... because of the opposite color bonus, this is a 3 star fill, despite only being a Toil and Trouble.

this one can easily be made into a fireburn, though. the leftmost purple bottle - turn the crossover over yellow once to the left, then use the left free straight crossover over green. use the rightmost blue outlet for blue, the one next to it for green, the leftmost blue to make purple.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Oct 29, 2004 10:33:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

True, I could've fixed this. This picture was when I still was making 2 sparkle drops.

Edit: Now that I relook at this, it is glaringly obvious.
Markozeta
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Markoman at Oct 29, 2004 10:59:09 AM]
[Oct 29, 2004 10:59:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I've actually be noticing this too, the distance bonus seems to be rather significant so setting up pieces and colors to go straight down isn't such a good idea as many believe.

Idle wondering: Could I make a 3-star fill by looping a single colour around the board (using crossovers) to increase its distance? :D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 29, 2004 11:02:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Why not? It looks so cool!
Markozeta
[Oct 29, 2004 11:16:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Distance the color goes makes no difference. The distance people are referring to is the distance between the three colors.

If you have:
RR YY BB

It is worth more to combine red and blue to make purple than it is to mix red and yellow to make orange. By the same token, it is worth more to make orange than it is to just use red.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Oct 29, 2004 12:15:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Oops, silly me. I knew about the bonus for secondaries that were farther apart, not sure why I thought there was a distance as far as color crossing.
[Oct 29, 2004 1:14:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Sarterixa wrote: 
Distance the color goes makes no difference. The distance people are referring to is the distance between the three colors.

If you have:
RR YY BB

It is worth more to combine red and blue to make purple than it is to mix red and yellow to make orange. By the same token, it is worth more to make orange than it is to just use red.

Ah, right. So there's no actual pipe-distance modifier? That seems to make more sense. It sounded like an exploit, almost.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 29, 2004 1:20:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Bifnot

Cauldron bubble:

[Edit 36 times, last edit by Bifnot at Apr 1, 1863 5:21:07 PM]
[Oct 30, 2004 10:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Here's a couple I'm kinda happy with. Both from the same run.

A cauldron bubble to start

And 3 mixed colours to end, which gave me 13 sparkles total on the bottles.

I'll edit in, or post, vaguely how I did it if people want. Any tips on doing better would also be lovely, I know the move counters are both low, but I probably wasted tons, so feel free to pretend there's 20 -30 left.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Oct 30, 2004 6:02:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

If you have extra moves when you're done, use them to get rid of bad pieces or save good ones. For example, in the second picture you could have used up the curve inbetween the Blue Bulbs, or used the elbow piece on the far right as well as the tri-piece below it (I hate tri-pieces!). You could have also saved a couple of cross-over pieces by reworking the area directly below the Red Bulbs.
[Oct 31, 2004 4:08:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

I'm not sure what to make of these drops.
Discuss.

Markozeta
[Oct 31, 2004 7:18:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

I don't really mind the tri-pieces ye hate, the ones that get me are the Y shaped ones. Hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Oct 31, 2004 11:25:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Im not sure if Im really pleased with this or not. And if I should be or not. It is the only 8 bottle fill I can remember achieving so far. I've hit a point where I've takken a step back and seem to have MORE trouble gettin Fire Burn than I thought before, and too many of my Toil and Troubles are only giving SINGLE sparkles. This did give doubles sparkles, so that's good though...

I guess what Im asking.....Im at that point where I get Excellents about 75% of the time with a few incredibles..wanna try to step it up to at least half time...what can I do to improve?

Please rip me to shreds ;-)

tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Oct 31, 2004 12:31:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Your board itself isn't very good. You only have a few colors to select from and the access to those colors is mediocre at best.

You pretty much did the best you could do on that board considering the fact that 7/10 bottles are taken up by only 2 colors.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Oct 31, 2004 1:27:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Sarterixa wrote: 
Your board itself isn't very good. You only have a few colors to select from and the access to those colors is mediocre at best.

You pretty much did the best you could do on that board considering the fact that 7/10 bottles are taken up by only 2 colors.

He's right. I'd have done a junk fill or two, but you did a nice job making a bad board look good.
Markozeta
[Oct 31, 2004 1:58:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
jesterhead

yeah i know, quicksilver is weak, but, if you can voodoo without it feel free to show me up
Pierced, Scared and probably smirking
[Oct 31, 2004 2:01:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Markoman wrote: 
Sarterixa wrote: 

He's right. I'd have done a junk fill or two, but you did a nice job making a bad board look good.

Also what I would have done. Time wasted +++x+
[Oct 31, 2004 2:31:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Shuranthae wrote: 
If you have extra moves when you're done, use them to get rid of bad pieces or save good ones. For example, in the second picture you could have used up the curve inbetween the Blue Bulbs, or used the elbow piece on the far right as well as the tri-piece below it (I hate tri-pieces!). You could have also saved a couple of cross-over pieces by reworking the area directly below the Red Bulbs.

I completely hate the pieces that come out on all 6 sides. Sometimes there's no way to avoid hooking into them with another chain. Also the elbows, generally.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Oct 31, 2004 11:52:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Hrm, so, a junk fill or two, to provide a better variety of color options, as well as, if possible, set up those colors in convinent locations, check.

Also, if Im compiling everything together right, the pieces that are hated are:

The 6 sided
the Ys
The tri-pieces
The elbows

I know I hate the straight ones (especially when not a cross over).

Hrmm..a whole puzzle of curves anyone? ;-)
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Nov 1, 2004 12:24:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julephenia

I'd like to speak up in defense of the three-way pieces.

I happen to like those pieces, as they have helped me hook up many a secondary color.

Edit: mistyped word
Oz is REAL, DAMMIT.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Julephenia at Nov 1, 2004 12:40:23 AM]
[Nov 1, 2004 12:40:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mixolyde

I hate when there's a sharp elbow in the bottom row. This makes it impossible to fill that bottle. very frustrating! There should be a way for the server to check if at least one legal path exists to bottles. but i guess that's just part of the game.
Officer Mixolyde of Black Moon under the flag of The Avatars

http://www.techhouse.us <-- My community of dorks
[url=http://www.midnightsun.tk]http://www.midnights
[Nov 1, 2004 12:42:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.techhouse.us/Hosted/Brianw/    Mixolyde_79    Mixolyde [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Mixolyde wrote: 
but i guess that's just part of the game.

If the elbow is there, you probably did something to put it there. They don't start out in that position very often. So yeah, I would say avoiding putting it there is part of the game.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Nov 1, 2004 12:52:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

kaykordeath wrote: 
the Ys

If the Y peices are these:

\|
|

Then I'll have to disagree. For making an initial path, these are wonderful because with these, you can connect one path to any other path attached to that hexagon. You can make every angle with this path! If you need to go back and modify a path, these are the first peices I look for, since they are usually flexible enough for me to remake a path for more crossovers. Also, these peices are great up near the top, perfect for making streamlined secondary paths. I like a lot of options, and this peice delivers in spades.

I agree with the other peices though, those are awful.

The elbow is fun, but it is lacking. I like the 14/23 peice a lot better.
Markozeta
[Nov 1, 2004 1:25:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I love Y's! I hate elbows, Octo-pieces, hecta-pieces, and tri-pieces. Curves on the edge are also pretty annoying.
[Nov 1, 2004 1:47:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

I was just trying to piece together which different pieces people have had on their hit list. I think we all agree that the above tri-piece is loverly.
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Nov 1, 2004 2:03:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates