• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 58
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4910 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Familiar Fencing | 11/27 | Palaces and Inns of Midnight Reply to this Post

Familiar Fencing! or Poking for Parrots! or Turkey Tussle! or Stuffing Stabbing or...

Bring your own sword or fence for your familiar in two events american Thanksgiving Saturday.

Longitude Laceration!

What:
Yellow/yellow, foil tournies. Four one-game-per-match divisions based on timezones with a best-of-three final tournament for the division champions.

When and Where: 11/27
Alpha Inn, 2 am and 2 pm Pacific Time
Epsilon Inn, 8 am and 8 pm Pacific Time
Finals: Alpha Inn, 11 pm Pacific Time

Prizes:
Winner chooses a parrot
All finalists get custom named and painted non-black sloops

Archipelago Antagonism!

What:
Any-sword, tournies. Four best-of-three divisions based on geography with a final best-of-three tournament for the division champions.

When and Where: 11/27
Endurance, Park, Xi and Eta palaces, 11 am Pacific Time
Finals: Alpha Palace, 4 pm Pacific Time

Prizes:
Winner chooses a parrot
All finalists get custom named and painted non-black sloops

If the same person manages to win both, the second familiar would go to the runner-up in one event and a third would go to the runner-up in the other.

Is your swash buckled? Here we go!

[size=9]Edited to include date in body of post
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Nemo at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM]
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

Re: Familiar Fencing | 11/27 | Palaces and Inns of Midnight Reply to this Post

Huzzah!

Will you be foiling those trying to sneak into more than one of the time-zone tourneys?
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Oct 20, 2004 5:04:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SimpleD

Thanks for the heads up Nemo.
[Oct 20, 2004 5:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FrankGrimes

Well developed, Nemo. I can't wait.
Grimes: Retired
Former badass
[Oct 20, 2004 7:29:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bien

Bring your own sword or fence for your familiar in two events american Thanksgiving Saturday.

Could you give us non-Americans a date to mark on our calendars?
[Oct 20, 2004 11:45:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

bien wrote: 

Could you give us non-Americans a date to mark on our calendars?

That'd be November 27th
[Oct 20, 2004 11:49:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Pokeytax wrote: 
Huzzah!

Will you be foiling those trying to sneak into more than one of the time-zone tourneys?

They're pretty spread out. If you want to play all day, then I'm not going to inconvenience everyone else by trying to stop you.

Sorry I didn't have the date in the body. It is in the subject, but I'll plug it into the body too.
[Oct 21, 2004 12:54:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I hope you're giving out two Familiars for the next Creative Contest you guys are doing. *grins*
[Oct 21, 2004 2:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

Yay for familiars for swordfighting! Wooooo!
-TK
[Oct 21, 2004 5:16:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

And, a post-patch sword tourney, at that. We might get to see which new swords make a splash on the scene, or if we go to the two swords on tier one once again.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Oct 21, 2004 5:31:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

this sounds cool, however on thanksgiving i might be busy. Alas, I fear I shall never get me a familiar. Oh well, we will see.
Liliene on Cerulean
[Oct 21, 2004 6:24:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Are these automated or paper and pen tournaments?

EDIT: Also, what happens if someone wins 2 or more divisions? Will you take the runner up? If the runner up was a finalist in a different division, ho wouldyou then find the 4th person?
[Oct 21, 2004 7:02:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

I think we can fairly assume automated. And Whitey, it's called "alternates". Yeesh.
-TK
[Oct 21, 2004 7:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
happymonkeys

Aww. Im English so I doubt I will be able to stay up all night to play the tournies :( Thats a shame. COuld we do something on Halloween like...trick or treating at different time zones? So lots of people are on when we are. Thankyou
Just needed to say that...
--Raquaetta, Midnight
Avatars still in the works...having a bit of a creative block heh..
[Oct 22, 2004 12:39:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

The preliminary rounds are in a wide variety of time zones. It's only if you make the finals of your preliminary that you have to be available at the specific time.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Oct 22, 2004 1:02:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I made them as time-zone-friendly as I could.

As for someone winning more than one Latitude division, he's already proven he can beat both divisions and there are only three finalists in the match (but his runner-up gets a ship). If the same person wins all four, then his runners-up get ships, and there is no final match, and he's Mr. Fancy Pants.
[Oct 22, 2004 10:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Nemo wrote: 
I made them as time-zone-friendly as I could.

As for someone winning more than one Latitude division, he's already proven he can beat both divisions and there are only three finalists in the match (but his runner-ups recieve one ship apiece). If the same person wins all four, then his runners-up get ships, and there is no final match, and he's Mr. Fancy Pants.

I know, nit-picking, but it's important =p.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to request a pen-and-paper, full, bo3 round robin for the finals. A 4 person round robin would only be one extra match of 3 and the competitors would feel better about who wins (For example: OMG, I so could have beaten those other 2 in round 1, but I got THIS guy?!). And if you really wanted to make myself and many of the other serious SFers happy, the finals could be bo5 if it is pen-and-paper.
[Oct 22, 2004 12:06:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Round robin is stupidly easy to rig. And I consider deals fair play. Don't do it.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Oct 22, 2004 1:28:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crazyrandom

Maybe one day they'll start making things where only non-familiar owning pirates can enter... So if they run those for about a year it'll filter down to my skill level at something.
Artemis tell you, "Shh don't tell anyone."
_________
Fara
[Oct 22, 2004 3:24:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    desufnocuoyera [Link]  Go to top 
Bladen

Whitefire wrote: 
I would like to request a pen-and-paper, full, bo3 round robin for the finals...
(For example: OMG, I so could have beaten those other 2 in round 1, but I got THIS guy?!)...

Well, you'd have had to fight that guy anyway, if you were to win the final, so I don't see how this is relevant. The only way you'd not have to beat him, is if someone else beat him, in which case, that someone else is probably better than the first guy you were afraid of, and then you'd have to fight him!
[Oct 23, 2004 4:10:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PinkkBeard

Bladen wrote: 
Whitefire wrote: 
I would like to request a pen-and-paper, full, bo3 round robin for the finals...
(For example: OMG, I so could have beaten those other 2 in round 1, but I got THIS guy?!)...

Well, you'd have had to fight that guy anyway, if you were to win the final, so I don't see how this is relevant. The only way you'd not have to beat him, is if someone else beat him, in which case, that someone else is probably better than the first guy you were afraid of, and then you'd have to fight him!

And if you can beat 6 out of the other 7 players in the tournament and for some reason you haven't beaten player #7 once in the entire time you've played the game? Stranger things have happened, and fairly often if someone has a distinctive style certain people will have more trouble with them than others.
Homullus wrote: 
There are still myriad varieties of sucking that you can do

Thusnelda wrote: 
Pinkkbeard gets a gold star.

[size=9]Azure: Where'd everyone go?
[Oct 23, 2004 9:38:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

arr. i wish, i wish i could plan my calendar that far in advance!

i don't know if i'll be working, or not, or playing, or not.

blast. oh well, have fun all!
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Oct 23, 2004 12:37:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

Round robins being rigged: Um, there's a familiar on the line, PRESUMABLY the 4 in the final would all want to win. And if you need to pay people off, the guy who DOESN'T need to, will kick the crap outta the people who would rather take X poe over a chance at a familiar as well as the person who needed to pay people off to win. And for you to do it, you'd have to make it to the top 4 buddy.

And Bladen, it's not even that you wouldn't have to fight him, it's that your record is counted over multiple battles. Say against one person, I win 50% of the time and the other two its like 60%. If I go up against the 50% person and roll a die and I lose. Sucks, too bad I couldn't have booted the other two. However, if it's round robin, I STILL might not win against him but at least there are two other fights, which could turn out in my favor.

And lastly, I think a round robin would be fun too, single elimination is for large numbers, round robins for small.
-TK
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cardmonkey

Oh PokeyTax, I LOVE your icon.
[size=9]Jarby - Pirates of the Damned
"Violets are blue, roses are red, we're coming aboard, prepare to eat lead!"

[color=maroon]Crimson Tide - 'Cause our Arch's got JETs!
[Oct 28, 2004 4:03:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/~cardmonkey    michael+was+like [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Ok. I'll tell you exactly what I would do, given a certain situation. Obviously members of elite swordfighting crews will be more likely to be able to pull this.

Round robin begins.

Rigger tells Hearty/Crewmate/Swordbuddy, "Hey, we're scheduled to play each other as the third and last match. Let's just have whoever has the lower score at that point intentionally lose every game."

Hearty/Crewmate/Swordbuddy tells Rigger, "Sure. Let's make sure we have a (heartygroupnickname/crewname/swording organization) victory!"

In a large round robin it's less of a problem, but in four man it's very easy to decide the winner, especially with many of the top swordfighters being quite friendly.

There's a precedent of Soviet chess schools repeatedly doing this stunt in the mid 20th century. And it is impossible to prevent.

Another note is that in such a psychological game as swordfighting, people do this without meaning to. The idea that if you win the fight, all you achieve is making your buddy not get the familiar (while your score is low enough that you can't win it) tends to make even the most die-hard fighter softplay. Even without intending to.

EDIT1: Unwhited the last paragraph about psychological factors.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by RobertDonald at Oct 30, 2004 9:31:53 AM]
[Oct 30, 2004 9:31:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

Except that you won't make it that far, and no one else is enough of an arse to do that.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Oct 30, 2004 9:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stenie

blink blink blink.. oh sorry.. (that avatar is hypnotic) um sounds like a great event Nemo, hopefully I won't be passed out in front of the TV with football on and too much turkey in me tummy to play :P
Playa

Captain of the crew Oceans Eleven
King of the flag Paramount

"Don't hate the Playa, hate the game"
[Oct 30, 2004 7:03:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Nemo wrote: 

What:
Exact even, foil tournies.

More information needed. I assume "Exact" means everyone uses the same foil. Will this foil be reversed or unreversed?

In random sword of this type tournaments, matches are often decided by who gets the reversed sword and who gets the unreversed one. The reversed foil is substantially inferior.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Nov 4, 2004 10:06:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

RobertDonald wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 

What:
Exact even, foil tournies.

More information needed. I assume "Exact" means everyone uses the same foil. Will this foil be reversed or unreversed?

In random sword of this type tournaments, matches are often decided by who gets the reversed sword and who gets the unreversed one. The reversed foil is substantially inferior.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'll make it a nice, cheap, yellow/yellow foil so that anyone can practice with it beforehand.
[Nov 4, 2004 10:43:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ridestowe

so, will there be one ultimate winner in the first one? or will there be a different arrot winner for each time zone?
Ridestowe Captain, They Might be Pirates | Lord, Tyr's Own
[Nov 7, 2004 4:02:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates