• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 84
Posts: 84   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25907 times and has 83 replies Next Thread
Deborah

[Winners announced] Adventures in Scrapbooking: Here There Be Monsters! Reply to this Post

brought to you by Madmarymeade and Feylind, banner by Kingpriam

"Ahoy, Feylind!"
"Ahoy, Mary. Ye look worried, lass. What's on your mind?"
"Well, Fey, I've got all these bits of stuff from traveling around the ocean, and me pockets are so full I'm afraid to set sail lest I sink! I had to get a bigger coat because the pockets in me buccaneer jacket ripped."
"Mary, ye silly ol' salt...what kind of stuff are ye talking about?"
"Oh, this'n'that, bits an' pieces ... look here. Here's a bit of timber from th' first time I sunk. An' this bit o' plant? Picked it up on the first island I was marooned on. That yellowy bit of paper with the scribbly writing on? Me first "Wanted" poster. See where it says Wanted: Dead or Deader? Governor didn't have much imagination. An' this here is some wool from Sheepish Rocky, a hearty gave it to me."
"Those are some nice mementos, Mary, but ye can't keep on carrying 'em with ye everywhere. They'll get all manky, not to mention they're heavy and you'll never set sail again at the rate you're going. Why don't you put 'em in a scrapbook?"
"... Mementos? Scrapbook? What's that, then?"
"Here, come over to me Estate an' I'll show ye some of mine."

This is a forum-based artistic event that will be judged from entrant-submitted artwork scans or photographs. You will be creating a two-page scrapbook spread (two facing pages) based on the theme "Here There Be Monsters!" from the perspective of your y!pp pirate. There are not many rules or restrictions, and Fey and M3 cannot wait to see what you arr-tists come up with!

Who: Individual Pirates on Any Ocean, 1 entry per player
What: create a scrapbook spread and scan entry or take photos; submit scans or photos for a chance to win nifty prizes
When: 20 Feb - 9 March
Where: via forum post in the entry thread in Mariner's Muse

What do I do?
-- Make 2 facing scrapbook pages to look like they came from your Y!PP pirate's scrapbook.
-- The theme for the pages must be "Here There Be Monsters." You may interpret that theme however you like.
-- Each page must be 12"x12". Nothing should be hanging off the edges of the pages.

What to include on your pages:
-- at least 2 "photographs" (these can be screenshots, YPP portraits or real photos)
-- journaling (captions related to the photographs)
-- any other decorations or memorablia you want to add
-- your pirate name and ocean (this should be incorporated into the page)

What to include in your entry:
-- Entries must be posted in the ENTRY THREAD
-- At least one in-process photo showing you making your scrapbook pages
-- One photo with a ruler to show that your pages are the correct size (12x12)
-- A photograph or scan of your completed entry (either one for each page or one showing both pages together is acceptable)
-- Any additional detail photos or scans you wish to add for the judges perusal
-- Prize list in your prefered order, if not the same as the default listed below.

If you need help with hosting photos, check here for some tips.

Prize List:
Baby Kraken (Violet Octopus)
Baby Archelon (Sleeping Turtle Furniture)
Roc Feather (Parrot Feather Trinket - violet with green tip)
Renamed Sloop: Monstrous Album
Violet Rose Trinket (inscribed)
Sea Monster Jaw (Shark Jaws Furniture)
Violet Starfish Trinket
Scrapbooking Furniture Package (table, plain chair, notebooks, spools, ship plans, small painting)
Falchion (purple/green)
Artist's Outfit in Male or Female (in violet and green, either f: muffin hat, apron, flares, boots; or m: musketeer hat, apron, pair o' pants, boots)

Judging: Entries will be judged by a panel of secret volunteer judges, which should take between 2 and 3 weeks depending on volume and quality of entries. Valid submissions will receive a combined score from all judges, and this combined score will determine prize placement. Entries will be judged based on the following objective and subjective criteria:
Objective:
--scrapbook spread is appropriately themed, proper size, and includes the required photographs, journaling, and pirate name/ocean.
--items in entry are tied together by a theme, event, or common element (i.e. the entry is not a collage of random images)
--entry includes in-process photo, size photo, and finished product photos or scans
--entry is posted in correct thread in Mariner's Muse
--entry is posted before deadline, and is not edited after deadline.
Subjective:
--how well does the entry incorporate the theme? (an entry based on monsters not found in y!pp is as valid as one using skellies or dragoons; an entry showing the joys of traditional rose gardening with a photo of a mummy glued in probably won't score well)
--visual appeal (is the entry cluttered or too busy? too sparse? just right? is it interesting to look at?)
--originality of idea and presentation (does the layout look like several others, with only colors and text changing? is it a unique idea and is it well-displayed?)
--creativity (did the pirate really get into the project and stretch their creative abilities, or was it something modeled on a generic template and whipped out in an hour?)
--artistry (embellishments, framing, matting, decorative edgings, etc. are used well? various elements are neat or messy, depending on the artist's desired effect?)

FAQ:
Q:
Real scrapbooking requires all sorts of expensive materials like acid-free or lignin-free paper/pens and special glues, etc. Do I need any of that stuff?
A: No! You can use any materials you like for this project: butcher paper, cardboard, construction paper, paper bags, crayons, craft glue, etc. as well as "real" scrapbook materials usually found in your local craft store's Scrapbook section.

Q: What counts as "journaling"?
A: Journaling is text that accompanies photos or memorabilia on a scrapbook page. It can be photo captions, song lyrics, poetry, a story, etc. However, text used in the page title does not count as journaling. Journaling can be handwritten, typed, printed, stamped, created from die-cut letters, cut out of magazines, etc. -- let your imagination roam. Here's a link to the wikipedia article on Scrapbooking, with a helpful section on journaling.

Q: What counts as "photographs"?
A: We're looking for things that would take the place of the photographs included in a traditional scrapbook album. These can be printed screenshots, staged real-life photos, theme-appropriate real-life photos, printed y!pp portraits, etc.

Q: Can you tell me where to look for more information on scrapbooking techniques or some sample pages?
A: Sure! Here are some ideas to get you started.

Q: What else can I put on my scrapbook page?
A: Almost anything you like! Bits of fabric, brads, beads, feathers, wire, stamps, stickers, you name it. You can even create faux memorabilia for your pirate, or include things that he or she "found" on the high seas. Remember that a scrapbook page is not a collage, so the items you include should be relatively flat -- if you were creating an entire album, for example, having a big lumpy seashell in the middle would make it difficult to close (but a stamp, stencil, sticker, or other picture of a seashell could work). Items should be securely adhered to the page, but whether you use glue or tape or scrapbook adhesive is entirely up to you.

Q: What do you mean by "point of view of my pirate"?
A: Pretend that your scrapbook page is being created by your piratey persona. You can still use third-person descriptions in your captions and journaling, but unless your pirate is Jacksparrow, doing a tribute to Pirates of the Caribbean is not likely to fit the theme.

Q: Why 12"x12"?
A: It's a standard size used in scrapbooking. Craft stores sell paper in that size, if you choose to use it. It's also nice and large, which gives you more area to work with.

Q: Must this be a real-life project or can we do digital scrapbooking?
A: Real-life gluestick-and-crayon please! Digital entries will not be allowed.

Q: Can we alter screenshots for this project?
A: Within reason, sure! So long as it fits the theme and looks authentic, go for it. (For example, putting a y!pp monster in your house would probably work well ... using magazine cutouts of Paris Hilton and putting her on your sloop probably won't.)

...to be continued in next post by Feylind (aka Blackbeth)
----------------------------------------
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Deborah at Apr 9, 2009 3:01:06 PM]
[Feb 20, 2009 11:28:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Re: Adventures in Scrapbooking: Here There Be Monsters! Reply to this Post

FAQ (continued):

Q: 12 inches? We use metric where I live... what do I do?
A: 30 cm x 30 cm pages are the metric equivalent and will be acceptable as well.

Q: If my journaling can't be read in the photo can I just type what it says under my entry photos?
A: No. Your entry photos should stand on their own. If you have text that is not easily readable, you can include a detail photo that shows a close-up of the text. Typed information about your pages will not be considered in judging.
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Edit 3 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Mar 1, 2009 7:41:32 AM]
[Feb 20, 2009 11:29:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Yearbook50

Oh this sounds exciting! It also gives me a reason to do something in my craft room that has been lonely so far in 2009.
Yearbook
Cerulean
Queen of Crimson Tide

Rome says, "I don't even have a status of a man"
[Feb 20, 2009 11:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

Oooo! This will be fun! I feel the creative juices flowing already. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Feb 20, 2009 11:40:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Wow, what a wonderful event idea! Y'all with the great minds are pretty remarkable. Beautiful banner by the way, KP.

Okay, I'll kick-start the questions. All signs seem to point to that we are supposed to be creating a real-life scrapbook and scan it into the computer when finished. Can scrapbooks be created via photo editing software on the computer or should we just stick with the traditional glue-sticks-and-crayon?

Can't wait to see some entries roll in!
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Feb 20, 2009 11:43:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

For the printed screenshots, can they be doctored screenshots?
[Feb 20, 2009 11:44:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Yes, you will be creating a real-life scrapbook page (gluesticks-and-crayon) -- not an online / digital one.

You may scan or photograph your finished product for posting.

Yes, you may edit / doctor / fiddle with screenshots, so long as they look "authentic" and fit the theme. (Photoshopping or using magazine cutouts of Paris Hilton, for example, and sticking her on a sloop, probably isn't going to pass muster...)

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Deborah at Feb 20, 2009 11:51:11 AM]
[Feb 20, 2009 11:48:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

While reading and looking at the links etc, my main questions got answered already.

Just gonna add this because not everyone uses inches:

some converter wrote: 
12 inch = 30.48 centimeter

I guess +/- 30cm would be good? (I'm not sure I could find a ruler with inches on it >_>.)
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Feb 20, 2009 11:59:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madzack2918

This is an awesome event and I can't wait to see what everybody comes up with.

Even if I have no chance of winning.
Omegaking of Emerald

Antix says, "Jesus was technically buried in a rock trap, and he came out alive. So I think it's a sign you have to rock trap."
Geologist says, "Wait, you're comparing Kory to Jesus?"

[Feb 20, 2009 12:11:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

zomg. i now have an excuse to use the scrap room at the house i'm sitting. she has TONS of stuff in there. guess i'll have to go poking to see what she has and start laying my stuff out.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Feb 20, 2009 12:56:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RayvynRoze

First of all: SQUEEE! I was all sad after all the February events. No more withdrawal!!

Also, I'm in Europe. I assume a cm ruler that is equal to 12 inches is acceptable?
Alethia on Midnight
Senior Officer
Tyr's Own

"One might say that there are occasions in which barrelstoppery is best combatted with bigger and better barrelstoppery."
[Feb 20, 2009 2:08:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Also, I'm in Europe. I assume a cm ruler that is equal to 12 inches is acceptable?

Yes, thats fine. Just do your best to approximate the 12 inches (I think someone else already calculated that to be 30 cm.)

-- Fey
Feylind

[Feb 20, 2009 3:14:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

Yes, thats fine. Just do your best to approximate the 12 inches (I think someone else already calculated that to be 30 cm.)

-- Fey

Indeed I did. I also checked the scrapbook-stores here and the special paper they sell for this is indeed 30x30 cm.
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Feb 20, 2009 3:40:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Ok, so basicaly it HAS to be 12x12? I think I've gotten that so far.. so 12x12, NOT smaller?

Mine has to be hand drawn.. I'm sure mom won't let me print.. I'm right in understanding that that is allowed, too, right?

Do I need any proof that I did the work other than my pirate name+ocean?

Oh, last Q: As messy as my handwriting is, do I need to "translate"?
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Feb 20, 2009 4:06:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

ZOMG!

A reason to get that new printer!

I love you. You realize you're feeding my addiction?
Jolyma

[Feb 20, 2009 4:36:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alondza

Oh! Goody!
Another wonderful creative event!

I wonder how I can fit scrapbooking in between the stats and chemistry exams.
:0
Alondza, Hunter Ocean
[Feb 21, 2009 2:51:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

ZOMG! A reason to get that new printer!

2nd! /me has a lovely brand old 12 year b/w printer where I need to hunt for the pretty ink cartridges!!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Feb 21, 2009 6:59:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

My kids are going to love this event.

The ideas tumbling through my head mean they get their picture taken alot in the next few weeks.

Uhh...I am allowed to use my kids as models right? No child labor laws or anything? :p

Ohhhh....I wonder if hubby will let me decorate HIM!!!

/e runs off to beg and barter.
Jolyma

[Feb 21, 2009 8:01:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

Who: Individual Pirates on Any Ocean, 1 entry per player

Meh, why -_-. I have 2 completely different ideas I want to work out and I really can not bring them together and I can't chose -_-
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Feb 21, 2009 8:30:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Uhh...I am allowed to use my kids as models right? No child labor laws or anything? :p

Sure! (What labor? Kids dressing up in costumes and getting their pictures taken sounds like play to me!)

Meh, why -_-. I have 2 completely different ideas I want to work out and I really can not bring them together and I can't chose -_-

Well, you can always make them both and enter the one you think turned out best. Or save one idea for another time. If this is successful, we hope to repeat it with different themes.
Feylind

[Feb 21, 2009 11:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
kostitar

So, to make it sure, acceptable monsters or "monsters" (aka creatures found from Y!PP) would then be Triketos, Gorgonyxs and Archelons - Homunculus' also belong to this group?

Also, how far we can alter "photographs"? Say, is it ok to attach my nephew's head on Gorgonyx or vice versa (woo, sounds Frankensteinish!), cut and paste two or three Y!PP portraits to make one? As well, can I just "make up" the photos, e.g. draw them myself?
[Feb 22, 2009 5:34:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
naomiwolfe

Holy Cow!!!!!!
This is an event I can actually do! And reasonably well!!!
*does a happy dance*

<3 Mary and Fey
Naughtytor & Naughtybits- On all Oceans!
[Feb 22, 2009 6:21:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
r544

Squeee! *dusts off my glue and scissors* I can't wait! And my craft supplies will no longer feel sadly neglected!
Jennivive on Midnight
Valiae on Viridian
[Feb 22, 2009 7:25:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

So, to make it sure, acceptable monsters or "monsters" (aka creatures found from Y!PP) would then be Triketos, Gorgonyxs and Archelons - Homunculus' also belong to this group?

Also, how far we can alter "photographs"? Say, is it ok to attach my nephew's head on Gorgonyx or vice versa (woo, sounds Frankensteinish!), cut and paste two or three Y!PP portraits to make one? As well, can I just "make up" the photos, e.g. draw them myself?

The "monster" can be anything; it doesn't really have to present in YPP. If your pirate got chased by a dragon while hunting for a cave to hide treasure in, that's fine, too.

There is no limitation to alteration of "photographs". Edit to your heart's content.

Edit: reworded.. no one would have understood that sentence!
Feylind

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Feb 22, 2009 7:29:46 AM]
[Feb 22, 2009 7:28:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
teklanika

Is an in-process picture of the scrapbook enough? ie, do I have to be in the picture actively making stuffs? Or it enough to just have the materials, etc., laid out while things are being made?

Probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry! :)

- tek
Teklanika - Midnight
Made of Fail/Folie Circulaire

Avvie by the lovely and talented Pixieboot
[Feb 24, 2009 11:32:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    teklanika23 [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Is an in-process picture of the scrapbook enough? ie, do I have to be in the picture actively making stuffs? Or it enough to just have the materials, etc., laid out while things are being made?

Probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry! :)

- tek

You don't need to be in the picture :-) A picture of your pages in the process of being made is fine.
Feylind

[Feb 24, 2009 11:37:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Bubblez86

I'm wondering can we use our portraits as well? Also, I'm wondering when we post pictures of the pages can we put under the link what the page says incase it can not be read? And as far as altering the pictures can we alter a portrait to say show that the characters are being attacked by a monster? Also could I use just screen shots and altered pictures? <.<

Edit: Added a question
~~*~~Dragonsangel~~*~~

Seamyst tells ye, "wake up and go to sleep rofl."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bubblez86 at Feb 28, 2009 7:40:07 PM]
[Feb 28, 2009 7:32:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/bubblez86    dragonsangel01    babybubblez1986 [Link]  Go to top 
soccerbabe88

Yipeee!! Sounds tons of fun! Can't wait!
Scaarlett on Hunter Ocean
*Happy Pirate of Hunter Ocean*

Scaar to the lett!
[Mar 1, 2009 6:57:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

I'm wondering can we use our portraits as well? Also, I'm wondering when we post pictures of the pages can we put under the link what the page says incase it can not be read? And as far as altering the pictures can we alter a portrait to say show that the characters are being attacked by a monster? Also could I use just screen shots and altered pictures? <.<

Edit: Added a question

Most of this is covered in the rules. Yes, you can use portraits. You may alter them however you like. Same with screenshots.

Your entry photo's should stand on their own. If you have text that is not easily readable, you can include a detail photo that shows a close-up of the text. Typed information about your pages will not be considered in judging.
Feylind

[Mar 1, 2009 7:39:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Katty777

So, may we draw the pictures instead of screenshots?
Ocean: Cobalt
Person: Jacenta
Playing time: About 3 Years :)
Job: Professional hugger/ tackler

"Jacenta brings cookies and love."
[Mar 3, 2009 8:19:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 84   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates