• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18138 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Soar

Voyage Planning. Mass & Volume Reply to this Post

Ahoy Mates!

After deciding to try me hand at trading I searched the forums for information on the topic. There be many helpful posts and I learnt a great deal about me newly chosen profession. Thank ye to all those mates who took the time to write up those documents.

I found I had one question that remained unanswered though, that being the details concerning mass and volume of the many commodities. Upon questioning my captain about it she suggested I research the answer myself. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to return the favor to ye mates who have posted helpful info in the past, here it be. A full table of all commodities, along with ship capacities and the common voyage supplies. If it be useful to but one other pirate, then me time spent collecting the data will not be wasted.

Thank ye to me Captain Jezabella and all me crew mates of the Crimson Tyrants for ye help in putting this together. :]

Arbedar!

[Oct 13, 2004 10:40:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Voyage Planning. Mass & Volume Reply to this Post

Cute charts. Any chance you can make them smaller, or vertically oriented, so it doesn't make my browser funny-scrolly?
[Oct 13, 2004 11:16:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

^ Agreed. Other then that, really usefull charts. Helped me calculate a few things real quick ;)
----------------------------------------
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Oct 13, 2004 11:21:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raelan

I love it. I even bookmarked it :)

Any chance at including more non-raw materials like dyes and cloths?
Croyalis,
>Senior Officer of the Templars<
~Lord of Elysian Fields~
}One half of the Templar Drunks{

"u guys are a brick wall to win any tourney lol" - Aaliyah on the Templar Drunks
[Oct 13, 2004 11:43:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

You have mass and volumes wrong on the larger ships. It's the identical error seen in the other thread.

Volume is larger than mass unless I am horribly mistaken.

Didn't realize that all the raws (other than the 3 bulkies) were volume 1.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 14, 2004 12:45:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Sylviad1

Here is one handy chart amongst many that I have put together for my Officers.

Since the volume on a ship is usually the fastest to become full, especially with foraging cane, hemp and wood, volume is an important thing to consider when foraging and planning for long-term storage.

[size=9]This is simple multiplication and division. All fractions are approximate.
Chihiro
Senior Officer, Ransack Marauders
Elitist Bastard
[Oct 14, 2004 12:48:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Chihirod1    Chihirod1    240681084 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

That's cute too.

This should probably be a sticky or something, or go into some larger document with groovy info.
[Oct 14, 2004 1:11:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

It is a shame, in a way, that volume is first to fill up.

The reason I say this is for a not serious game design suggestion.

Namely, don't have a maximum weight per ship at all, simply a storage volume. Allow the ship to load as much as the skipper feels like. Of course, it will sink lower and lower. Including when it pillages some poe - gold doesn't exactly float now, does it?

Now the reason the suggestion is not serious is not that it isn't better, but that the current system works well enough, and everybody is used to it. It would be a waste to recode. But it would be fun.

For sake of argument, below 80% of current volume and 100% of current weight have no penalties; perhaps even a bonus for very low weight. Have a small penalty for high volume (hemp on the decks is going to slow down the sailors). Have a large penalty for any excess weight (a xillion balls in the hold will keep the bilgers harder at work, what with the waves splashing in). Don't allow sinking this way, just autodump the heaviest item aboard as long as bilge is at maximum, every X seconds.

Once again, this is not intended seriously. Perhaps it could be a rule for a new hard-core ocean, if that ever happens, hehe.

Dylan
[Oct 14, 2004 1:35:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soar

It does stretch the post width a bit much doesn't it.

I'll modify it tonight when I get home from work. I will also double check the ship stats in game and correct any errors in those too.

Thank ye for ye feedback mates :]

Arbedar!
[Oct 14, 2004 7:35:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It's not getting stickied, it's getting ?berthreaded. This forum would have a whole front page of stickies if I stickied EVERY good resource :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 14, 2004 9:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I like it when people put care into the stuff they do. It's important.
[Oct 14, 2004 11:53:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Soar

I fixed up the orientation so it be narrower now.

I also checked the ship stats and they were indeed incorrect. I modified these so they are now accurate :]

Arbedar!
[Oct 14, 2004 3:53:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chemicalgirl

Thank you for the handy post. :)
~Bright
Silk

Stuyvesant flag officer chats, "You remember that whole "Midnight is better than Everything" phase?"
Silk flag officer chats, "phase...?"
Current Avatar by Falmari
[Oct 14, 2004 5:19:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Silk_Princess1978    Sylkprincess [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

It's still wide ... can you make it a little thinner please?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 15, 2004 9:34:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
altmerman55

chemicalgirl wrote: 
Thank you for the handy post. :)
~Bright

You forgot to add "I'll need this info when going skelly hunting." :p
[size=10]Sheo says, "We're duking it out after this"
Peax says, "With great pleasure."
Feegle says, "You guys DO know that it's the arguing, and not the poe or blood, that convinces me to come along on your pillages, right?"

[Oct 15, 2004 9:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sheo55 [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

just an observation... what's up with the pety differences in mass on most of the minerals and herbs?? its not like you're EVER going to max out on mass on chalcocite, yarrow, or even tellurium for that matter... that'd be around 2200 tellurium in a sloop. why aren't they all just set to one or some such?

*edit* that had me curious enough that i found an anwser to my own question: checking the densities for iron and tellurium (being actual elements) it would seem they used the actual densities. kudos to three rings.
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Oct 17, 2004 2:59:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

TheT wrote: 
just an observation... what's up with the pety differences in mass on most of the minerals and herbs?? its not like you're EVER going to max out on mass on chalcocite, yarrow, or even tellurium for that matter... that'd be around 2200 tellurium in a sloop. why aren't they all just set to one or some such?

It's to be physically accurate. Iron's density is 7.8kg/L. Therefore, one you are loading up your ship with 1 liter of iron, you should expect it to have a mass of 7.8kg. And, as I have recently discovered, most of the minerals we use are found in real life. The Ringers have chosen to put in the correct density of these items as well.
Markozeta
[Oct 17, 2004 3:04:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Markoman wrote: 
TheT wrote: 

It's to be physically accurate. Iron's density is 7.8kg/L. Therefore, one you are loading up your ship with 1 liter of iron, you should expect it to have a mass of 7.8kg. And, as I have recently discovered, most of the minerals we use are found in real life. The Ringers have chosen to put in the correct density of these items as well.

Assuming that said elements exist native and not combined in oxides etc.
[Oct 17, 2004 3:22:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Iron's density isn't quite exactly 7.8 kg/liter in game. I had some weird amount around 2200 and the mass reported was off by .001 from what it should have been.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Oct 17, 2004 3:24:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

Markoman wrote: 

mwahaha i edited myself before i was corrected! (for once)
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Oct 17, 2004 3:32:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ayli

Quizzical wrote: 
Iron's density isn't quite exactly 7.8 kg/liter in game. I had some weird amount around 2200 and the mass reported was off by .001 from what it should have been.

Or, more likely, what you're seeing is evidence of the limited precision of floating point. You might think that this is way too much error, but it's 7 digit precision, which sounds about right for single precision float.
[size=10]Ruby: because telling your grandkids how you singlehandedly beat those three light blue brigands just isn't the same
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Christoban

Next update: PuzzleChemistry
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Oct 17, 2004 9:39:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Christoban wrote: 

Next update: PuzzleChemistry

Alchemistry could turn base metals into gold.
[Oct 18, 2004 1:38:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Christoban

Alchemistry could turn base metals into gold.

5 updates from now:

Nuclear powered submarines

I hear the 'fire code' puzzle is *really* hard though.
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Oct 18, 2004 2:52:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Christoban wrote: 
5 updates from now:

Nuclear powered submarines

I hear the 'fire code' puzzle is *really* hard though.

Nemo already cruises around in a submarine with unspecified but wonderful powerplant.
[Oct 18, 2004 3:42:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Broken image in the first post.... Anyone able to repost it?
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Feb 21, 2005 12:34:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

AySz88 wrote: 
Broken image in the first post.... Anyone able to repost it?

They don't appear to be broken to me. I think your interweb must be broken.
[Feb 21, 2005 12:46:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

It was broken for me too about 30 minutes ago - poberly the serfah intarweb wuz bruk.
[Feb 21, 2005 12:50:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spade01

seems fine to me, even if it uses old pictures of several commodities.
[Feb 22, 2005 11:07:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jmucchiello

How about adding a few extras to the image like Hemp Oil, Paint, Dye, Enamel, Gems, Gold Ore, Kraken's Blood, and Fruit. (I'm just guessing that all Paint, Dye, Enamel and Fruit have the same density.)
Colorbeard on all the Oceans
SO of Six Leagues Under (Midnight)
FO of SPAM (Cobalt)
[Jun 23, 2005 1:29:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates