• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 124
Posts: 124   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 45117 times and has 123 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Design Easter Eggs for the game! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED) Reply to this Post

The long wait for ova is over!

Winners announced

It's Time To Design Easter Eggs Again

This is another chance to design Easter Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the best Easter Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here.

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using the image tags.
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here.
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:

I've included these not just as a reminder of the entries from last year and the year before, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

-- Your design MUST be able to 'wrap' - the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side.
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.

-- If you want to see your design rendered on to an egg shape before posting it as an official entry, post your design in the thread linked here and the Rendering Wraiths will work their magick.

--Silveransom's streamlined egg file.
--Link to Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
--Link to the 2008 event thread
--Link to the 2008 entry thread
--Link to the 2007 event thread.
--Link to the 2007 entry thread.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2008.
-- Link to the 2006 event thread.
-- Link to the 2006 entry thread.
-- Link to Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006
--Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated versionhere
--2007 rendered eggs YPPedia page.
--2007 rendering test thread which will give you lots of ideas for what works well and what not so well!
--2008 rendering test thread

-- If you want to, you can download the egg model from this link, if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modelling program. Note that you do not *need* to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modelling software (e.g. 3D studio max).
-- You may need a renderer plug-in apparently. ;)
-- Ponytailguy produced a quick tutorial of testing the designs in 3DS-MAX here
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to, I'm happy to edit these in! Thanks as always to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year. You are wonderful!

The deadline for Easter Egg designs is the end of Friday 13th March 2009 - 11:59 game time.

If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given an egg in your design. If you win, your design may be rotated for the final egg. You would be asked for a preference on whether your egg is available in the Palace Shoppe, or whether you would like it to be a rarer egg given out as event prizes.

Go forth and lay eggs!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 17, 2009 1:38:38 AM]
[Feb 17, 2009 12:41:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Re: Design Easter Eggs for the game! (deadline March 13th 2009) Reply to this Post

YAY!

Are we allowed to re-enter a design from last time? I had one I realllllllllllllllllllllllllly like and would like to enter again lol
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 17, 2009 1:08:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Re: Design Easter Eggs for the game! (deadline March 13th 2009) Reply to this Post

Yippee! Hopefully this wave of uncreativity will pass by the time the deadline hits. (and welcome back! Glad to see you're okay!)
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Feb 17, 2009 2:33:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

You're welcome to enter one from a previous year (as long as it's one of your own!) - either in its original state or tweaked.
[Feb 17, 2009 2:50:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
gaia214

You're welcome to enter one from a previous year (as long as it's one of your own!) - either in its original state or tweaked.

Lol yet another friday the 13 >.<
mroddx On malachite
[Feb 17, 2009 3:08:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
water_wave

Are we aloud to get someone else to render it for us if we just have the design? Or not.
Kunglao-Sadness
[Feb 17, 2009 3:09:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

You only need to produce the design - you don't need to render it. In previous years, other players have generously set up a thread for rendering so that all the designs can be viewed rendered on an egg, but you don't need to do this in your entry post.
[Feb 17, 2009 3:22:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Are we aloud to get someone else to render it for us if we just have the design? Or not.

In previous years it has been allowed to have test renders help those that are not able to. I imagine it still applies to this year too. Feel free to post in this thread and ask for test rendering.. I am sure there are a handful of people out there willing to help.
Fizz -- RETIRED Senior Officer of Phoenix Warriors, Lady of Tyrs Own
[Feb 17, 2009 3:23:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
water_wave

Thank you Fizz and Apollo, I will open my Adobe Photoshop and get working :D
Kunglao-Sadness
[Feb 17, 2009 3:39:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I'll be rendering test eggs. I can't guarantee a super fast turnaround, since I'm in the middle of a few projects, but I'll definitely be helping where I can.

I'm not sure if I should really do a new egg rendering tutorial, since last year's pretty much covers it, but I'll be around to answer questions.

I love this egg event. :D
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 17, 2009 5:15:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

I'll be rendering test eggs. I can't guarantee a super fast turnaround, since I'm in the middle of a few projects, but I'll definitely be helping where I can.

I'm not sure if I should really do a new egg rendering tutorial, since last year's pretty much covers it, but I'll be around to answer questions.

I love this egg event. :D

Yo Silve, I don't have access to Max and all that, but our school has Maya and we're free to tinker with the program whenever we like. I was wondering if you've got an equivalent tutorial for Maya, 'cause if you do, I might be able to halp with the rendering and stoof.

I'd love to be able to help out this year. Yay Eggs! Pewpewpewsplat! :D
xeitgeist of purdywinkle oshun iz tired
i tumble around heer
[Feb 17, 2009 7:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bisdakbytes.tumblr.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Apollo, the link for the streamlined egg that I put up last year has expired. My streamlined egg file is now at this link, still via mediafire.com:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ea4hduyzmkm/SimpleEgg2.max

The directions from last year still apply; open in Max, click OK or Continue past any errors, go to the Material Editor (the "m" key is the shortcut), change the texture on the applied material, and hit F9 to render. (F10 brings up the Rendering panel, F9 just renders with the last known settings.)

This egg file uses the same mesh and UV layout as the official egg, I just culled the extra shaders to cut down on the error messages, and set the render camera to the 48.6 one. I don't remember if it behaves with the Illustrate! plugin, but for testing purposes, it should be quite sufficient.

Xeit, I seem to remember tinkering to make this into a Maya file, but I'm not sure where that wound up. I'll try to set it up at work tomorrow and put up a Maya file. I'm not sure if the rendering camera will behave itself between programs, but I'll see what can be done. I keep meaning to do a Blender version too... maybe I'll hit that Friday or early next week.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SilveRansom at Feb 17, 2009 7:38:29 PM]
[Feb 17, 2009 7:36:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
HolySpirts

Can we hand draw the egg and colour it in with pens , pencils etc then scan into onto the computer? or do we have to design it by computer graphics?
Sophine on Hunter. :).
[Feb 18, 2009 12:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Will a page like last years entered rendered eggs be created? and does anyone know why those eggs on that page no longer show as an image, but as a link?
[Feb 18, 2009 6:18:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I hope that someone will create a rendered eggs page on YPPedia again! :)

HolySpirts: you can hand-color and scan if you wish, if you feel the final quality is high enough. Remember that you are not coloring an EGG, though - the entry is a rectangular design, not an egg-shape.
[Feb 18, 2009 8:01:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Ask and ye shall receive!

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help out, but I recall wanting to pull my hair out trying to use StudioMax, so "test renderer" was out of the question.

But I could handle the wiki page!

:D

OK... Maybe I'm NOT as capable as I thought I could be....

I have been staring at the entry pages from 2007 and 2008 and trying to figure out why the images have turned into links, since Fizz pointed it out.
(BTW, this link below isn't on Apollo's list... although in it's current state, it's not very helpful)
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/2008_Design_Easter_Eggs_-_Rendered_entries

Now, I KNOW I could do the wiki page, if it would be permissible to upload the rendered eggs directly to the YPPedia, instead of an external host. Would that be ok?
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dexla at Feb 18, 2009 11:28:20 AM]
[Feb 18, 2009 8:38:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
impakta

Is there anyone who would be so nice to share the test egg in .3ds ext instead? I'm afraid my pathetic excuse for a machine doesn't have the space to take in more programs. I'm planning to try it out on PS CS3 Extended and Blender :D

I'm only using it to see if my design is streamline (I can't think in 3D :S) since I'm planning something kind of complicated ;_;... And also I don't want to be a pain in the booty having someone render my design everytime i make a tiny tweak :S
forum lurkar
Viridian
Semi-Retired
[Edit 1 times, last edit by impakta at Feb 18, 2009 12:24:44 PM]
[Feb 18, 2009 10:03:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Now, I KNOW I could do the wiki page, if it would be permissible to upload the rendered eggs directly to the YPPedia, instead of an external host. Would that be ok?

It would probably be okay.. so long as you named them appropriately. Not sure exactly on the naming scheme for these though. Perhaps some wiki wizard would know better. Also, so save on uploading them to the wiki, only upload ones that people have put in the entry thread.. but then you would also have to keep an eye out for any changes they make to their entry.
[Feb 18, 2009 12:06:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I've made a .3ds version, a Maya version and an .obj version, but Mediafire is having problems. I've sent them to my home via email, and will try to post them later from that machine to see if that works.

I'll try making a Blender version later.

Anything other than the Max version isn't going to produce the same renders, but for testing purposes, Maya should work just fine, since the lighting, mesh and UV layout are the same.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 18, 2009 3:27:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
impakta

I've made a .3ds version, a Maya version and an .obj version, but Mediafire is having problems. I've sent them to my home via email, and will try to post them later from that machine to see if that works.

I'll try making a Blender version later.

Anything other than the Max version isn't going to produce the same renders, but for testing purposes, Maya should work just fine, since the lighting, mesh and UV layout are the same.

Thanks sooo much <3 If you're having trouble with hosting I can host it for you
forum lurkar
Viridian
Semi-Retired
[Feb 18, 2009 5:06:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Okey dokey, here are the latest, greatest files. (The previous link is having trouble, and if these do too, I may just take ye up on the hosting, Imp.)

Max:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nnowg2zmgjg/SimpleEgg.max
Maya:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nw3vdzmmjhh/SimpleEggMaya.mb
3DS (Maxish):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndgzmjzh2n4/SimpleEgg.3DS
.obj file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nddfjyt2xom/SimpleEgg.obj

As noted before, the Max file is the only one that will render correctly. (Well, the 3DS one might, but I make no promises.) The Maya file will need a recent iteration of Maya, which is a potential trouble, but if you're working on school machines they may be updated enough. Everything but the camera should be good on that one, so renders won't be perfect, but good enough for testing purposes. Maya renders won't have the outline, either, and since they aren't quite the right size, this nifty little file won't work for them, even though it works for Max renders. (I put it on a layer above the render in Photoshop and set its layer type to Multiply.)

(This is an older one with a bit of shading on it, if for some reason the first one doesn't work:)

The .obj file should theoretically work in a number of other programs, including Blender and Wings, but I haven't tested them yet. It's just a generic export file. (I'm not even sure if it maintains the UV layout, but I think it does.) The lighting and camera definitely won't work correctly in that file, so it's just going to be useful for eyeballing things and getting a layout right.

Happy hunting, all, and please let me know if any of those give you trouble. I can't guarantee a fix, but I can try. :D
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 18, 2009 6:26:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

Thanks fer putting those up Silver, it's helping a lot! :D
xeitgeist of purdywinkle oshun iz tired
i tumble around heer
[Feb 18, 2009 8:49:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bisdakbytes.tumblr.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

The contest of legends!

I missed it last year but I'm going to make up for that mistake with new art.

Oh... welcome back Apollo!
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Feb 19, 2009 3:10:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Well.... I've gotten a page started to collect all of the rendered eggs from the entry thread, using my proposed idea of the YPPedia hosting the images. I'm hoping they will be ok with it before I start copying and uploading a bunch of eggs. (I've opened a "discuss this page" with them. Hopefully someone will notice it?) But you can see... it works if they will agree to it.

Currently a test name and test egg in place.
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/2009_Design_Easter_Eggs_-_Rendered_entries

No, I'm not a web person, and yes, I may be doing it the hard way.... but if it looks right in the end.... :)
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Feb 19, 2009 8:44:32 AM]
[Feb 19, 2009 8:43:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sophiegraytb

Weee Egg time again.

Sadly this year I'm, working so not much time to do test renders, big thank you in advance to this years renderer's!
Skyelanis - Cerulean via Midnight
[Feb 19, 2009 9:07:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

mmm...I've never tried the egg competitions before, but I might give it a shot this year...

and I couldn't help but notice...another friday the 13th next month? Bad luck, oh noez!
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Feb 19, 2009 6:01:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Hey Apollo,

Could you edit a link to this years egg rendering thread into your first post for the benefit of all other amazing artists out there.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=121119

Thanks ;)

[Feb 20, 2009 2:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Is it possible to get the Entry thread stickied?
[Feb 21, 2009 8:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Not really - it's not really fair on the other events.
[Feb 21, 2009 10:31:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Egg rendering looks like so much fun. I'm sure instructions on how to render egss have been plastered all around the forums recently but it all looks sooooooooo complicated.

Could somebody redirect me please?

[Feb 22, 2009 4:11:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 124   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates