• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 161
Posts: 161   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26980 times and has 160 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background contest - Spring 09 edition! Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:

This theme is fairly free. We're after springtime seasonal portraits, but the exact interpretation of that is up to you, whether it's April showers or May flowers, April Fools or equinox! You may choose any size of portrait - just ensure you provide the correct size image for your chosen background size.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650

2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650

Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself. Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and post links to the thumbnails here for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please post your pirate name at the bottom of the post containing the thumbnail.

Please put "springcontest" in the summary field so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. Thank you! The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{springcontest-Portrait|Forumname}} (where "Forumname" is replaced by your own forum name!)

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes: A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it, but after that it is used no longer. These are limited time collector backgrounds.

Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates mug in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The item cannot be the box edition Savvy Hat or anything Atlantean or indigo, but can be black or gold.

In the event of the same artist winning multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the mug if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates crockery.

Deadline:
March 15th 2009, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.

Also, take note of the way some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Feb 17, 2009 11:25:52 AM]
[Feb 17, 2009 11:24:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background contest - Spring 09 edition! Reply to this Post

Re-submitting this one which was originally a spring storm before I entered it as a ghost ship:

I also have a few ideas for spring backgrounds so we will see if I find some time to make a couple of them.
Cambiata,
~Currently pillaging the Obsidian Ocean~
from the Viridian (now Meridian) ocean

[Feb 17, 2009 12:15:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
AndyOrr

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background contest - Spring 09 edition! Reply to this Post

Will Damayi's Lucky Pirate be returning for St. Patrick's Day?
- Shambo -
[Feb 17, 2009 1:18:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
merethif

Well, I've got some sketches for summer Portrait Background, alas I've no idea for springtime. Additionally I'm focused on improving my tai chi skills at the moment and there's no much time left for other activities. And there's still Easter Egg contest - I skipped the one in 2007 and 2008 so maybe it's time to give it a try eventually. Anyway I've just added this thread to my favorites and I'm looking forward to see all the entries.
Merethif of Viridian Ocean
Novice/Able at Poker and proud of it!
Vacation avatar by Empanado
[Feb 17, 2009 1:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

My program has downgraded (hopefully temporarily, but you never know) so I may not have a good entry, but I think I have one I can rework from last year.. will try ^_^

Hope to see more awesome entries (although Cambi's was my fav last time she entered it, too.. time to start saving ^_^)
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Feb 17, 2009 4:28:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
BootlegPatch

Yay for Apollo! ^^ Perfect time to enter that Valentine's portrait v.2 I half finished, hehe. It's got tons of flowers, so I think it applies to Spring. :D Once again, can't wait to see everyone's lovely artworks.
Albini on Viridian~
Yarr, vain-ness!
"Queen of 'arts" Avatar by the sublime Phillite
[Feb 17, 2009 7:51:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

YAY!
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 17, 2009 10:42:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Are we allowed to use brushes, textures etc made by other people, or must everything be drawn completly from scratch?
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Feb 18, 2009 4:53:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

I suppose I should try and make a portrait background for a change.

It can't go too badly... right...
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Feb 19, 2009 4:06:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gumptiongirl

Welcome Back Apollo ^_^

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work this round :D
Surrptitious/ Slurppie - Cerulean

Feb Frenzy
Feb Frenzy 2.0
[Feb 19, 2009 4:07:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://gumptiongirl.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Teaser! Here's what I'm working on - "Lavender Fields".

I'm playing around with sky designs. I'll definitey add some clouds. I'm thinking that maybe I should move the fence/grass/lavender up a bit because, when rendered with the pirate, you can't see much.
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Feb 20, 2009 4:11:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

Oooo...that will be lovely! :)
Cheers,
Happyharlot
Viridian and Ocean Wide, (Nanncy on Hunter)
Make a Playlist to Share with Your Fellow Pirates :)

[Feb 20, 2009 4:46:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Sharktailz wrote: 
Teaser! Here's what I'm working on - "Lavender Fields".

I'm playing around with sky designs. I'll definitey add some clouds. I'm thinking that maybe I should move the fence/grass/lavender up a bit because, when rendered with the pirate, you can't see much.

Flowers might be harder than I thought.. Might go for rainy day...

Anyway: If you move the grass itself up, it may look funny. I think your flowers look nice =) Maybe add something behind the fence, or have the fence wrap around? I'm not sure on that.. I think that it looks nice, and you did an awesome job on it =) It has perspective =D Your shadowing up front looks a little off.. shouldn't that section behind the fence be bright, not shadowed? Major Kudos =D

I'm editing my winter entry to be springy.. Maybe I'll just "melt" the snow.. As I said above, flowers look hard.. You did awesome on them =)

So, what programs are people using? I need something free that is easy to use (or to learn to use gimp...) and will recognize pressure from my tablet.. I also need it to actually have opacity options, because Paint.net just makes it 100% with any setting (even 5% O.o)

[Feb 20, 2009 5:12:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Anyway: If you move the grass itself up, it may look funny. I think your flowers look nice =) Maybe add something behind the fence, or have the fence wrap around? I'm not sure on that.. I think that it looks nice, and you did an awesome job on it =) It has perspective =D Your shadowing up front looks a little off.. shouldn't that section behind the fence be bright, not shadowed? Major Kudos =D
Thank you for your kind words! When I get the chance I'll do an example of the artwork moved up and I'll see if y'all think it looks nice or not. And yes, you're right. There shouldn't be any shadowing behind the fence. Lemme fix that right up!

So, what programs are people using?
Adobe Photoshop CS4. I will search around and see if I can find any free programs that have tablet sensitivity. :)

[EDIT] Any ideas on what I should put behind the fence?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sharktailz at Feb 20, 2009 5:37:18 PM]
[Feb 20, 2009 5:36:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Ooh how pretty Sharktail! I think what I would like to see, besides clouds, are a bird or butterfly flying around or on the fence? Also, I know its a pain, but maybe changing the angle of the fence.. so rather than straight (or almost straight) on its shows up more in the back of the pirate? The right side looks a bit off balanced? Anyway, I love those flowers- great job! Hope my comments made sense/helped :)

/me wishes she had the patience to draw pretty backgrounds :)

Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Feb 20, 2009 6:46:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

+easter eggs
+birds
+hills
+butterfly
+clouds
+tweaks

[EDIT] Updated hill view. Contemplating changing the lavender to daisies.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sharktailz at Feb 20, 2009 10:58:29 PM]
[Feb 20, 2009 10:36:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
merethif

Sharktail, I love it! Grass, lavender, butterfly, birds, ligth... so fresh. A hills may need some minor tweaking, but anyway it looks great. I'm not really into those eggs but it's rather my personal opinion. I'd rather see some crocus or edelweiss there instead of eggs... or maybe some sage? ;-) well sage is too similar to lavender anyway.
[Feb 21, 2009 1:38:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

Can I bribe artists to try submitting a field with sheeps in it? Pwease? I dont have the artistic abilities to draw one myself.
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Feb 21, 2009 1:55:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
RayvynRoze

I really love it shark, only thing is I think the hills might make it too busy...if that makes any sense. Or maybe they're just a bit on the large side. I think it eats up too much of the sky.

Otherwise, it's beautiful. I love lavender.
Alethia on Midnight
Senior Officer
Tyr's Own

"One might say that there are occasions in which barrelstoppery is best combatted with bigger and better barrelstoppery."
[Feb 21, 2009 4:26:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Yay! Nice job Sharktail! I'd like to see it with the pirate if poss :)

Hmm.. varying the flowers from all lavender to lav. + daisies may be cute but I really like the way you drew the lavender so I'd miss them if you totally got rid of them! Also, perhaps make the sky a bit more sunny? and make the two eggs at the front a different design? Otherwise, great job! I can totally see using this background holding a cool egg! Ooh if you did add daisies then wearing the laurel would look shweeeet :D
(forgive my apparent clothing addiction)
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Feb 21, 2009 7:27:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

I agree with two thoughts:

A) putting something springy in place of the eggs Edit: please don't put springs O.O but seriously, I mean like a spring flower to go with the lavender =)

B) Sheep! (I want one, too.. wonder if I could convince Apollo to give me a sheep instead of clothing if I managed to win... hmm)

Ok, now I'm getting to work and gonna see if I can get a free trial of CS4, since I had CS3 before.. Maybe I'll just inch through all the free trials O.O

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Master15S at Feb 21, 2009 8:56:34 AM]
[Feb 21, 2009 8:35:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Thanks for the help and support! I really, really appreciate it.

+sunniness
+daisies (whee!)
+less-messy hills

-easter eggs

[EDIT] Fixed light directions. Shadows are under construction.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sharktailz at Feb 21, 2009 1:47:30 PM]
[Feb 21, 2009 1:16:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
merethif

+sunniness
+daisies (whee!)
+less-messy hills

-easter eggs

Astonishing! A butterfly could be a bit bigger perhaps. Also, I would remove shodow from the flowers, especially white ones (beauty>reality).
[Feb 21, 2009 2:00:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Astonishing! A butterfly could be a bit bigger perhaps. Also, I would remove shodow from the flowers, especially white ones (beauty>reality).
Okay, I'll work on both of your suggestions. Thank you!

QUESTION: Can the clothing article of choice be a (high) enlightened mask?

[Feb 21, 2009 2:15:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
BootlegPatch

Sharktail that is lovely! I agree with Merethif about removing that shadow from the white flower. Maybe also have the birds flapping their wings slightly differently, since they're at the exact same angle right now. Other than that there's nothing much to do. :) I love the simplicity of it and how the focus is on the fence and flowers, with the mountains fading off. Beeaauuty-ful.
Albini on Viridian~
Yarr, vain-ness!
"Queen of 'arts" Avatar by the sublime Phillite
[Feb 21, 2009 2:35:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

+sunniness
+daisies (whee!)
+less-messy hills

-easter eggs

[EDIT] Fixed light directions. Shadows are under construction.

Ok, big word usage over.. Great job =) I think the butterfly needs to be scaled to the fence Maybe he is only slightly small, but probably not much).. I think he is awesome =) But shouldn't both wings be visible? just a tiny opinion =) Awesome to the extreme (I need a thesaurus)

Ok, gonna get back to work fixing up mine.. btw, GIMP is the program I'm using, since it is free. It also recognizes my tablet.. It is harder to use, but oh well =)

Edit: delete word.. sentence..

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Master15S at Feb 21, 2009 3:17:44 PM]
[Feb 21, 2009 2:59:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Rightio, I uploaded it for entry. If you have any suggestions or comments from here on out, please post here, send me a(n) email, private message, or find me in-game :)

+easter eggs (it wouldn't hurt to have 'em if you won't be able to see them when there's a pirate in it)
+fixed the sky sunniness
+altered flower shadowing
+changed the birds
+minimized butterfly
+more texturization on the clouds

[Feb 21, 2009 6:10:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

So prettyful. Really nice work! Yay to maor backgrounds! :D
xeitgeist of emrald oshun iz tired
I have a webcomic!
[Feb 21, 2009 6:48:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/abslula/ [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Theres no doubt about it, Sharktail won a spot.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Feb 21, 2009 7:39:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Theres no doubt about it, Sharktail won a spot.

He did awesome. /e ran outa words..

Ok, so finally I got a rough draft:

So the grass isn't done, I forgot to make my chimney visible before saving, I need to lighten the window, GIMP lags my computers, and the tree is redone, but the entire thing is a spin off of my entry from Winter.. Just made it springy.. So other than the ugly ground, what needs fixing? Oh, and I'm thinking I need leaves and/or clouds.. Which one, though? =/ (Trying to incorporate sheep at some point, Jaina =D)

Thanks,
Padme

Edit: I've just decided that the tree will make me mad... dunno if I'll cut it out completely or just move it, but could you imagine having a pet in that? O.O

Edit again: Thought that tree was bad, so fixed.. also, fixed ground and added some birds waaaaay far away =O Gonna move them tomorrow so that you can see them with a pirate, but here is what I've got:

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Master15S at Feb 21, 2009 8:31:44 PM]
[Feb 21, 2009 7:43:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 161   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates