• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 118
Posts: 118   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21543 times and has 117 replies Next Thread
vnork

Blockade Navigation Challenge! [Results posted!] Reply to this Post

Final results here:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1800810#1800810

2nd round of preliminary results here: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=121358&offset=100#1797102

Preliminary results here: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1792306#1792306

Blockade navigation is a very thrilling part of YPP, but unfortunately, the vast majority never get a chance to participate. Here's a chance for anyone to match wits with some of the best blockade navigators in the game! To win, you must be able to maintain point control while maximizing the damage you do to your enemy - almost like a real blockade! Hopefully you have fun with this little event that I've come up with.

I've posted 6 blockade scenarios below. In each one, you control the blue-outlined ships for a single turn. I've asked some prominent blockade navigators to tell me what they would do if they controlled the red-outlined ships.

After PM-ing me with your moves in each situation, I will score your moves based on a point system outlined below. The top scorers will win a valuable prize!

The deadline for entry is 11:59 PM on February 15, 2009!

How to enter:
Read the following instructions very carefully!

1. Go to the YPPedia Event page! View and think about the various battle navigation situations that I have come up with!

2. Send a private message to this forum account (vnork) with your moves. You are required to include your pirate name and your home ocean along with your entry. Do not post your entry in this thread!

Moves should be posted using the following key, with a slash ( / ) between each section of the move. If multiple ships are player-controlled in the scenario, be sure to clearly state which move is for which ship!

Key:
Right - R
Left - L
Straight - S
Pause - _
(You're controlling war frigs and war brigs here, so each move must contain at least one "_" pause)

Single shot - *
Double shot - **
(To shoot left or right, place the asterisks to the left or right of the R, L, S, or _.)

Double forward - +
Turn in place - <L> or <R>
Flotsam - X
You may only use a single special maneuver in your entire entry, so choose wisely! In the PM that you send to me, there can only be one instance of any of the special maneuvers in the entire PM. (i.e. If you use the double forward for one move, you can't use another maneuver (including another double forward) in the rest of your entry.)

Sample entry:
--> corresponds to --> Scenario 1: **L / _** / R / **S**

Prizes:
This competition is open to everyone on any ocean. In the event of a tie, the prizes will be split. Inscribed trinkets will be given to the top 5 as well.

1st place - 168 doubloons (4 month coinscription)
2nd place - 84 doubloons (2 month coinscription)
3rd place - 42 doubloons (1 month coinscription)
4th place - 21 doubloons
5th place - 21 doubloons

Judging will be based on a point system. Your score will be the sum of all 6 scenarios.
Each point controlled by you: +2
Contested points: +0
Each point controlled by the enemy: -2
Each move token you use: -0.5
Each cannonball that hits the enemy: +1 (+0.5 for friendly fire)
Each cannonball that hits you : -1 (-0.5 for friendly fire)
Rock rams: +0.5 if enemy rams, -0.5 if you ram
Using more than 80 cannonballs in your entry: -10

Questions, complaints, concerns: Please do not hesitate to post them below! Your feedback is very valuable.

Edit: Cleaned up some wording.
Gave instructions for specifying the direction of the turn-in place token.
Small scoring system clarification.
Slight rewording of special maneuver rule. x2
Clarification of 3 move token per ship rule

----------------------------------------
[Edit 15 times, last edit by vnork at Feb 24, 2009 4:57:12 AM]
[Jan 29, 2009 4:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermit987

Re: Blockade Navigation Challenge! [336 dubs in prizes!] Reply to this Post

So we use only light blue highlited ships or both dark and light highlited ships?
[Jan 29, 2009 5:16:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

So we use only light blue highlited ships or both dark and light highlited ships?

Use both. If there's a slight difference in the blue highlight, it's because I booched it in Scenepainter. Sorry about that.

-Vnork
[Jan 29, 2009 5:20:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

So we don't even get to know how many moves they'll make? (The red ships)

I was kinda worried about that, as I'd judge off that. Also, how DAMAGED are the ships? I mean, I really need to sink one of the ships.
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jan 29, 2009 5:40:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

So we don't even get to know how many moves they'll make? (The red ships)

I was kinda worried about that, as I'd judge off that. Also, how DAMAGED are the ships? I mean, I really need to sink one of the ships.

Assume the red ships all have full movement bars (experienced navvers will use fake shots, if necessary, to display a full movement bar each turn).

Assume the red ships are fresh ships with plenty of moves and guns. It would be cool to have some ships be pre-damaged, but I think the event's already complicated enough for my first foray into global event-making. =P

-Vnork
[Jan 29, 2009 5:56:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

I like this event. Those boards could go a lot of ways. :)

It seems strange to penalize for moves used. In a real YPP ship the token is either available or it isn't, and you'll usually figure out how fast they're coming in pretty quickly. After that there's no prize for saving them if the situation demands using three.

The buoys seem a bit undervalued compared to ship damage. In a contested blockade, with all other things equal, most admirals would probably prefer having a damaged ship cover buoys over having a clean ship score 8+ hits without buoy points. The rules still work fine for the challenge you're presenting.

Did you mean we're allowed to use one special move between all six scenarios, so that once we use one of the specials in one scenario we can't use any on the rest? And are the enemy ships allowed to perform any?
On hiatus. :(
[Edit 1 times, last edit by false_dmitri at Jan 29, 2009 11:36:48 AM]
[Jan 29, 2009 11:35:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

I'm glad you like the event!

It seems strange to penalize for moves used.

I definitely was indecisive about this part. It's a small penalty, and my reasoning is that achieving the same result with fewer moves should be rewarded. Part of it was also to require a bit more thought in the entries, and perhaps introduce a bit more scoring separation into the entries.

The buoys seem a bit undervalued compared to ship damage.
It's tough because the scenarios don't have any context attached. There's certainly times when holding buoys is paramount, and times when losing a 2 pt flag for 1 turn to land 6 shots will result in a net point gain in later turns. I'm certainly open to any scoring tweak suggestions, although it would probably have to be for a later iteration of the event.

Did you mean we're allowed to use one special move between all six scenarios, so that once we use one of the specials in one scenario we can't use any on the rest? And are the enemy ships allowed to perform any?

Yes to the first question, and no to the second.

-Vnork
[Jan 29, 2009 1:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dunkhan

What are you doing for the enemy moves? Have you already chosen what you are doing or will you pick the most damaging/controlling move for each individual entry?

Edit: I assume you have already chosen them. Have you based their moves on the same criteria?
Dunkhan of the Meridian Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dunkhan at Jan 29, 2009 5:33:07 PM]
[Jan 29, 2009 5:27:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

I've asked some prominent blockade navigators to tell me what they would do if they controlled the red-outlined ships.

[Jan 29, 2009 5:55:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dunkhan

I should read properly may I ask who you asked that makes a difference to how you would expect them to move.
Dunkhan of the Meridian Ocean
[Jan 29, 2009 6:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

I'm not certain if the people I asked would be comfortable with me attaching their move to the specific scenario. You should probably just assume that unknown alts are navving the red ships.

More generally though, I've asked Dalnoth from Hunter, Flar from Viridian, Skymike and Shyne from Sage, Kenchio from Virid+Hunter, and Sweetiepiepi from Midnight (+ Malachite?) to provide the moves. Mostly they were the first people that stood out to me on each ocean when I logged; it's not a snub if you didn't get chosen. =P

I tried to get a fairly decent mix of the various oceans, although I don't really know anyone from blue oceans. I was also certainly biased toward my hearty list, but future iterations of this event, if people enjoy it, could be done differently.

-Vnork
[Jan 29, 2009 8:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

I'm not certain if the people I asked would be comfortable with me attaching their move to the specific scenario. You should probably just assume that unknown alts are navving the red ships.

More generally though, I've asked Dalnoth from Hunter, Flar from Viridian, Skymike and Shyne from Sage, Kenchio from Virid+Hunter, and Sweetiepiepi from Midnight (+ Malachite?) to provide the moves. Mostly they were the first people that stood out to me on each ocean when I logged; it's not a snub if you didn't get chosen. =P

I tried to get a fairly decent mix of the various oceans, although I don't really know anyone from blue oceans. I was also certainly biased toward my hearty list, but future iterations of this event, if people enjoy it, could be done differently.

-Vnork

Oh good, no Hurly to outnav! Flar is a great naver, though, so I gotta be careful O.o

/e runs away
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jan 30, 2009 6:50:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Blockade navigation is a very thrilling part of YPP, but unfortunately, the vast majority never get a chance to participate. Here's a chance for anyone to match wits with some of the best blockade navigators in the game!

Great event. Thank you!
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Jan 30, 2009 10:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

which ocean is this - coz im from cobalt so the prize has no use fer me -_-
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Jan 30, 2009 11:26:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

which ocean is this - coz im from cobalt so the prize has no use fer me -_-

I'm not an expert on subscriptions, but can't you get an extra month of subscription time by coinscribing with 42 doubloons on your account? If you have a long-term subscription, perhaps it would be useful to have an alt account subscribed to provide shoppe labor.

Unfortunately, I do not have anything of value on the blue oceans, so I can't offer any other prize. You are certainly free to enter the event even if doubloons are pointless for you, if you're just curious to see how well you can do.

-Vnork
[Edit 1 times, last edit by vnork at Jan 30, 2009 11:34:29 AM]
[Jan 30, 2009 11:30:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antonkraft

Thanks alot for this event :)
Yaruto
Antix tells you, "For some strange reason i picture you as this widom-like old man who reads dictionary's by an open fire as a hobby."
Nooblar tells ye, "But, i had fun eventhough you're sweedish and confusing <3"
[Jan 30, 2009 12:42:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Thanks these are really interesting problems. I take it I am allowed more than the 35 second turn time on each situation (in fact the 5 sec before you have to tell your team what you plan to do so they can plan accordingly).

Were the red ship navvers asked to only consider the actual turn in question or were they also considering being in a good position for the next turn. The scoring system means that I should not consider my strategic position but are the red team?
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jan 30, 2009 4:41:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
matt121493

Judging will be based on a point system. Your score will be the sum of all 6 scenarios.
Each point controlled by you: +2
Contested points: +0
Each point controlled by the enemy: -2
Each move token you use: -0.5
Each cannonball that hits the enemy: +1 (+0.5 for friendly fire)
Each cannonball that hits you : -1 (-0.5 for friendly fire)
Rock rams: +0.5 if enemy rams, -0.5 if you ram
Using more than 80 cannonballs in your entry: -10

So through all six entries I can only use eighty cannonballs before I get penalized for it or is it eighty balls per scenario. (Note: Eighty CBs would not get me through all those ships unless they were extremely green navvers)
~ Bubbaspike, SO and Damsel of Bu Shi Do, Midnight ~
~Prince of Death Before Dishonor~

Life is a Box of Chocolates! All Oceans! Win a pig!
[Jan 30, 2009 5:12:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

I take it I am allowed more than the 35 second turn time on each situation.

Yes, you can take as much time as you'd like. Only one red ship navver took longer than about 20-30 seconds to come up with a move, and it was just because of indecision between two possibilities. It should be interesting to see how a snap decision by a seasoned navver compares with a newer navver who has the opportunity to think through each move.

Were the red ship navvers asked to only consider the actual turn in question or were they also considering being in a good position for the next turn.

I vaguely described the event to each navver, then asked them what move they would make in a blockade if they were in that situation. I'm not sure if they considered the next move or not, but none of the moves were obvious defensive ones to get in good position for the next move. I tried to formulate scenarios that guaranteed some action.

-Vnork
[Jan 30, 2009 5:33:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

So through all six entries I can only use eighty cannonballs before I get penalized for it or is it eighty balls per scenario. (Note: Eighty CBs would not get me through all those ships unless they were extremely green navvers)

For each scenario, you are only planning out the next move. It would be very difficult to plan out a second move without knowing what happened in the first. =)

So, the answer to your question would be 80 cbs for all the scenarios combined. I mainly put that rule in so that people would not shoot 16 cbs on each just to be sure they didn't miss a shot. So far, I don't think anyone's felt that 80 cbs was inconveniently low.

-Vnork
[Jan 30, 2009 6:15:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhoaleper

Another question: Are the edges of the board in the scenarios to be considered hard edges that will give you a rock ram, or empty squares you can move onto?
Spheniscine on Obsidian
Was Rhoaleper in all dub oceans, but based in Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rhoaleper at Jan 31, 2009 5:17:57 AM]
[Jan 31, 2009 5:15:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lacrossestud

what if were gun happy? adn we have two ships to use so....might need more and btw how do i PM you?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lumineux on sage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defiance on malachite
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Jan 31, 2009 8:38:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

Rhoaleper wrote: 
Another question: Are the edges of the board in the scenarios to be considered hard edges that will give you a rock ram, or empty squares you can move onto?

Considering this is a blockade nav competition, I would expect the edges to behave just like on a blockade board. >.>

Lacrossestud wrote: 
what if were gun happy? adn we have two ships to use so....might need more and btw how do i PM you?

I consider myself very gun happy, but not even me required 80 cb's.
But if you do - I would suggest not shooting a few rounds, to avoid the -10 penalty points.

As for PM Vnork, just click on the "PM" image under his post.
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Jan 31, 2009 9:45:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

Great question, I forgot to consider that. Let's make them ram edges. I believe it's only possible to ram the wall in Scen 2 and Scen 6 anyway.

-Vnork
[Jan 31, 2009 1:06:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhoaleper

Lacrossestud wrote: 
Rhoaleper wrote: 

Considering this is a blockade nav competition, I would expect the edges to behave just like on a blockade board. >.>

Good point, but since these scenario boards are a lot smaller than real blockade boards it is possible that they are only a 'section' of a bigger board. But now we have the official word that they are hard edges, I'm fine now.
Spheniscine on Obsidian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Rhoaleper at Jan 31, 2009 3:30:48 PM]
[Jan 31, 2009 3:22:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pjotr

Very nice event!
Pjotr, Captain of the Ransack Marauders
self-appointed elitist bastard extraordinaire

[Feb 1, 2009 2:07:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Nice event! /me enters and awaits being sunk :p

The only issue is that with zero damage ships, I think in most cases all the points will be contested with all reasonable answers, as you can neither score a sink nor fear one.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Feb 1, 2009 3:41:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhoaleper

Well with only two "sides" here, a point contested (and thus not going to the enemy) is as good as a point scored.
Spheniscine on Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rhoaleper at Feb 1, 2009 10:46:29 PM]
[Feb 1, 2009 10:45:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jinxplus1

Nice event Vnork. /e tries her luck
Jinxplus

Captain of Just Because

Now flying the flag of One Step Beyond. Margaritaville. we're around here somewhere.

Randomly appearing on other oceans...
[Feb 2, 2009 4:37:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

This is an excellent event and kept me entertained during a long meeting at work today.
If a bird looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a Huntard .
[Feb 4, 2009 11:24:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 118   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates