• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 97
Posts: 97   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23399 times and has 96 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

PUZZLE PIRATES WEEKLY Valentine's edition! WINNERS ANNOUNCED! Reply to this Post

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the Three Rings flagship publication, PUZZLE PIRATES WEEKLY1. With a circulation of nearly half a million every week, it is the magazine of choice for every discerning pirate.1 Its mixture of factual information and advice, humor and fiction has captured a loyal pirating audience worldwide, and we have established a well-deserved and impressive reputation.1 I think the fact that it's free is also a point in its favor.

The Fat Controller Owner has demanded a special edition of PUZZLE PIRATES WEEKLY for Valentine's Day, and frankly we're in a bit of a quandary. Most of our regular contributors are in an advanced state of cirrhosis thanks to the forward-thinking creativity-enhancing policies of our Editor-in-Chief. The EiC himself left for lunch three months back and hasn't been seen since.2 While we have plenty of copy for ongoing weekly editions, we don't have anything Valentine-themed.3

And so I call on you, our faithful and talented readership, to provide the necessary copy for our Valentine's Edition. We're really after any kind of item for publication, including, but not limited to:
  • Cover art
  • Feature articles
  • Current affairs
  • Short stories or photo stories
  • Poetry
  • Humorous articles
  • Personal or career advice
  • Fashion
  • Puzzles
  • Horoscopes
  • Top Ten lists
  • Recipes
  • Arts & Crafts articles
  • Product reviews
  • Celebrity news or interviews
  • Advertisements or classifieds
  • Comic strips
  • Personal recounts or tales
  • Letters page
  • Information on travel, events or leisure activities
  • Shopping
Again, you are not limited to what's on this list. The world is your aphrodisiac mollusc. Just make it Valentine's themed, and make it piratey. The quality must be high, as befits the normal excellent standard of our august publication.6 Spelling and grammar in written pieces are important, because our copy editors spend most of the day at the Desolate Isle of Insanity - and I don't mean a Cursed Isles site.

Prizes
But do we ask you to provide these items out of the goodness of your hearts? Pshaw! Of course we don't. We have a number of exciting (and possibly nauseating) Valentine's themed prize packages, put together by Cleaning Lady Doris,7 who we believe to have discriminating and flawless taste.

The Prize Flapper Package
A parrot in gorgeous hues (magenta and rose), and a fancy ribbon to match.

The Heart Is Where The Home Is Package
A romantic cottage of your own, with interior design and furniture lovingly dictated by Cleaning Lady Doris on the theme of Valentine's Day.

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words Package
A pair of matching Valentine's-themed outfits for a special couple and a two-person Valentine's portrait to commemorate the occasion.

The Love Boat Package
A dreamy ocean-worthy vessel; the ultimate romantic baghlah, painted and furnished with impeccable taste.8

Other Deliciousness
Other prizes as appropriate! There may be pink involved, I think it's only fair to warn you.

The Deadline
It's publishing! Of course there's a deadline!
All entries must be posted by 11:59 pm game time on Friday 13th February 2009.

To post an entry
-- Post entries in the Entry Thread linked here. Entries posted in this discussion thread or anywhere else will be ignored. Publishing has no mercy.
-- Include your pirate name and ocean in your post (or in your signature) so that we know who you are.
-- Tell us what kind of publication item you have submitted (e.g. one of the types listed above as examples).
-- Include your prize preference order of the packages listed above. If you don't specify, we will assume the order given here.
-- Your entry! If you are including artwork, anything up to 600 x 600 pixels is fine (in .png or .jpg format) to be added as an image to the file. If it's larger than that, though, please link to the image hosted elsewhere.
-- Additional entry information if required (e.g. links to real-life item pictures (see below), acknowledgements for use of existing material if appropriate)

Other rules
-- Only one entry per player
-- For some types of entry, it may be reasonable to make use of existing material from elsewhere, such as public domain photographs or game artwork. It is difficult to make a hard rule on this given the variety of items that could be submitted.
-- Other than the exceptions covered by the above, all entries should be created for this contest, and should be your own work.
-- If your entry incorporates a real-life item you have made for the contest, you should include in your entry post a link to a picture of the item with a card showing your pirate name and ocean, and a link to a picture showing the item's creation in progress. These links do not have to form part of your final entry - they can be added to the entry information at the top of the post.

Footnotes
1 This is not true. I am making stuff up.
2 The Editor-in-Chief now has the status defined by Douglas Adams as "Missing, presumed Fed".
3 Most of us go through the first half of February bewildered by the bubonic outbreaks of pink and red, and are so unaware of Valentine's Day that any significant others4 are resigned to getting no gift more complex than last-minute rum with red food coloring in.5
4 It's also relevant that we think "SO" stands for senior officer, and "GF" stands for grand frigate.
5 Most of us are single now. I can't imagine that these two facts are in any way related to each other.
6 [ Why are we having a Valentine's edition in August? ~Ed. ]
[Not "August", you buffoon, "august".]
[ What's the difference? ~Ed. ]
[ The subtle application of the shift key. ]
[ Shut up, geek. ~Ed. ]
[ k. ]
7 Thank you, Doris!
8 The original description here was "loathsome", but I have confidence that it will be a thing of beauty and a joy for ever in the eyes of anyone lucky enough to sail in her.

The second post in this thread contains some additional links, and I will also note answers to relevant questions in that post, so that you do not have to search through the thread for clarifications.

Note to contributors: In case Footnote 1 did not make it clear enough, PUZZLE PIRATES WEEKLY is an entirely fictional publication, imagined solely for this event; there are no back issues, there is no way to subscribe to it, and the selected items will not in fact be published. ;)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 20, 2009 1:39:18 AM]
[Jan 17, 2009 4:57:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: PUZZLE PIRATES WEEKLY Valentine's edition! Call for items for publication! (Deadline 13 February) Reply to this Post

Additional information, and collation of relevant questions and answers.

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

Questions and answers: (to be edited as required)

Can we enter more than once? No, just one entry per player. The (non-exhaustive) list of suggestions are ideas, not categories.

Can we combine multiple types in an entry? To some extent, yes, because the list given are just ideas - you can decide your own publication item type. Many people will be combining artwork with text, for example. I can think of other examples where more than one type would work together to form a single item. What you submit, though, whatever its component parts, will need to look like a single item as far as the publication is concerned.

Are there general word guidelines or image size limits that should be observed? In terms of content, the usual rules for offensive content apply, as they always do. For word count, no strict guidelines (but remember the entry should be appropriate for a magazine in length, so no novellas). For images, only the restriction given above not to post images larger than 600 x 600 directly into the thread.

What criteria will the judges be focusing on (ie will it be mainly on humor, Valentininess (yes I can make up words), piratical theme, overall effort)? Valentininess and piratical theme are more binary conditions - if the entry isn't Valentine-themed and isn't piratey in some way, it won't go any further in the judging, no matter how brilliant it is. The judging criteria are more about quality (for the given item type), idea and style (for the magazine), and deliberately have to be left somewhat generic, because of all the different entry types being compared (for example, while many entries may be humorous, it's not a stated requirement for the contest).

Are you aware that the sheer volume of entries you're going to receive for this will likely make you thoroughly sick of Valentine's Day for several years? I'll take the risk!

Are the outfits one male and one female? They can be whatever combination you choose - I'll ask the winner to PM me with details once results are announced.

Does it need to look like a page (or pages) from a magazine? The item you produce doesn't need to be laid out as a magazine page (or pages) - although it can be if that makes more sense for the item you're producing. For example, if you're doing a story, you don't have to lay it out over mock magazine pages - you can just provide the text.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Apollo at Jan 21, 2009 12:02:13 AM]
[Jan 17, 2009 5:09:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

Re: PUZZLE PIRATES WEEKLY Valentine's edition! Call for items for publication! (Deadline 13 February) Reply to this Post

Can you enter more then once? Also can you put couple entries together? Like Horoscopes and Recipes, Or make a whole magazine?
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ilyarus2004 at Jan 17, 2009 6:13:03 PM]
[Jan 17, 2009 6:12:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Or make a whole magazine?

And, can we film us in the making and make a Reality show, just like in Stylista? :D
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jan 17, 2009 6:28:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Awesome awesome awesome! Few questions.
Are there general word guidelines or image size limits that should be observed?
What criteria will the judges be focusing on (ie will it be mainly on humor, Valentininess (yes I can make up words), piratical theme, overall effort)?
Are you aware that the sheer volume of entries you're going to receive for this will likely make you thoroughly sick of Valentine's Day for several years?
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AhoyLindsay at Jan 17, 2009 6:52:44 PM]
[Jan 17, 2009 6:52:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Can you enter more then once? Also can you put couple entries together? Like Horoscopes and Recipes, Or make a whole magazine?

Apollo wrote: 
-- Only one entry per player

Unfortunately I think the answer to that is no. But I bet if you made a couple entries and could only post one, you could just post the un-entered ones in MM for admiration and critique.
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Jan 17, 2009 6:53:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

One entry meaning? you can only enter one of each or only pick one and enter it?
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Jan 17, 2009 8:45:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Since it is one parrot for the whole thing and not one parrot per category, I believe it is pick one and you're entitled to one entry.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jan 17, 2009 8:48:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tosy

Sounds fun, now for the hard part of picking a category.
Sevre/Serafax.

Retired.

[Jan 18, 2009 3:51:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Please note, those aren't categories. They're just suggestions for the type of things you could enter, and Apollo specifically says that the list isn't exhaustive. If you can come up with some Magazine-appropriate item they haven't thought of, then you can enter it. He also notes that more than one of these items might be combinable, but I'm pretty positive that doesn't mean "combine them all into a magazine".
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Jan 18, 2009 9:10:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Aye, they are not categories. You don't have to choose one of those - I just wanted to provide a varied list of options for people as a starting point. You should definitely not do a whole magazine - a single high-quality item is what I'm after.
[Jan 18, 2009 9:50:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Before I start, can I hand make a page with real life items vs. photo shopping something up? Grant it the page would still be flat but I am asking all the same.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Jan 18, 2009 6:01:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sundancer

Oooh, this looks like fun! Too bad pink makes my eyes bleed.
~Sundancer of Midnight~
[Jan 19, 2009 4:21:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

A question on prizes-

A pair of matching Valentine's-themed outfits for a special couple and a two-person Valentine's portrait to commemorate the occasion.

Will the above prize be for one male and one female or can you select outfits for two pirates the same gender.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Jan 19, 2009 9:12:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Ditto. :P And, oy! The possibilities. This'll be tricky. Heheh.
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Jan 19, 2009 10:40:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Are you looking for one page of a magazine, or one article? For instance, one story in a magazine could be 3 or 4 pages long.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jan 19, 2009 11:21:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Are you looking for one page of a magazine, or one article? For instance, one story in a magazine could be 3 or 4 pages long.
I'm looking for one ITEM.

can I hand make a page with real life items vs. photo shopping something up?
As long as the result looks like an item for publication, I suppose I don't mind what medium is used!
[Jan 19, 2009 11:26:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
o0Roxy0o

About the prizes...
Does the winner pick one prize?
Or does winner get first prize, second get the second and so forth? Because a lot of people in the thread are posting the whole list...

Also, is there only a first place?

And when you say one item... Are we allowed to post a few things of one type like as if the subscibers are sending it to the magazine?
Roxeh - Malachite

If Practice Makes Perfect,
And Nobody's Perfect,
Then Why Practice?

[Jan 20, 2009 6:34:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lazzamf

Maybe a silly question.... can it look like it can be printed onto a page of a current magazine, but not actually look like its on one?
Queenofb

Tillathehuny pulls you into the corner & does things to you that make ppl's cheeks turn red

[Jan 20, 2009 7:07:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

About the prizes...
Does the winner pick one prize?
Or does winner get first prize, second get the second and so forth? Because a lot of people in the thread are posting the whole list...
Entrants are asked to post their preference order for the prizes. First place gets their first choice, second choice gets the highest available option on their list, etc. It's in the first post.

Also, is there only a first place?
No.

And when you say one item... Are we allowed to post a few things of one type like as if the subscibers are sending it to the magazine?
. If I understand you correctly, then yes. Some items will be made up of multiple parts (e.g. a "readers' letters" or advice item might involve more than one letter, a product review item might review several products of the same type, etc).

can it look like it can be printed onto a page of a current magazine, but not actually look like its on one?
I actually have no idea what you are asking here, as the question seems to contradict itself! Could you rephrase please?
[Jan 20, 2009 12:51:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

I think what is being asked is, can the entry look as though it could become a page of a publication, without it actually looking like it already is a page.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jan 20, 2009 12:54:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The item you produce doesn't need to be laid out as a magazine page (or pages) - although it can be if that makes more sense for the item you're producing. For example, if you're doing a story, you don't have to lay it out over mock magazine pages - you can just provide the text. I'm still not certain I get the meaning of the question, but does that answer it?
[Jan 20, 2009 12:59:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lazzamf

Hehe yeah, that answers it - I'm just providing a background to the words - both of which could be printed onto a page... Or, if this 'magazine' was in our piratey years, not....

/me wanders off muttering about how her thought process is mighty jumbled...
Queenofb

Tillathehuny pulls you into the corner & does things to you that make ppl's cheeks turn red

[Jan 20, 2009 6:14:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
o0Roxy0o

Thanks, Apollo.
That helped a lot.
=]
Roxeh - Malachite

If Practice Makes Perfect,
And Nobody's Perfect,
Then Why Practice?

[Jan 20, 2009 8:32:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BootlegPatch

Wow, I just saw this thread today. Another fantastic event, Apollo! Just seeing the current entries so far makes me wish this was a real magazine. ^^
Albini on Viridian~
Yarr, vain-ness!
"Queen of 'arts" Avatar by the sublime Phillite
[Jan 21, 2009 4:30:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

There may be pink involved, I think it is only fair to warn you.

Ditto. :P And, oy! The possibilities. This'll be tricky. Heheh.

Thanks to Apollo, Sundancer, and Minsiem for your comments, they were a great inspiration to my article. I have had some similar feelings myself, though I think I may have finally come to terms with Pink. Hahaaa.... :)

This was a really fun project, thanks to all!
Cheers,
Happyharlot
Viridian and Ocean Wide, (Nanncy on Hunter)
Make a Playlist to Share with Your Fellow Pirates :)

[Jan 25, 2009 11:30:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Milla__Magia

if i write a story how long it would be?
I'm about to write 2 page long story (A4 paper)
is it enough or too much?
[Jan 26, 2009 10:55:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Make the length whatever is appropriate to your story - a good story could be a short anecdote or a longer piece. I'm not giving an absolute maximum, because some magazines do have multi-page stories, but it shouldn't be a book. ;)
[Jan 26, 2009 10:57:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Milla__Magia

heh... shouldn't be a book. i think i make little smaller story then.
xD
[Jan 26, 2009 9:12:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

-- Other than the exceptions covered by the above, all entries should be created for this contest, and should be your own work.

Hmm... Should have read this more closely before I went ahead with my idea of writing an advice column.

I've started a contest for pirates desperately seeking advice, "Dear Stabby."

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=121161

I've asked people to write in, one will get a reply in the magazine. I've stated clearly that by entering the contest that they agree to having their letter submitted for the advice column.

Would this mean its not my own work? (The advice will be mine, but the letter asking for advice comes from the contest.)
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jan 28, 2009 8:06:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 97   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates