• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 69
Posts: 69   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14780 times and has 68 replies Next Thread
Thalia
OceanMaster

Piratey Cookies - Winners announced - Win a Thalia doll! Reply to this Post

Isn't December a wonderful month? Snow, events, gifts,.. but definitely the best thing about December: Cookies! Cookies everywhere! Unfortunately December only has as few as 31 days. And just like in past years that dreaded moment finally came. The new year isn't even two weeks old and I already ran out of cookies. (Yes, I'm looking at you, dear always hungry colleague.) Woe is me. Halp! Noone likes a cookie deprived muse.
So, please help me. Bake cookies! Who says baking cookies is only allowed in December? Who says cookies always have to take the shape of stars and trees and such? Who needs the holiday season as an excuse for cookies? I say: Let's combine two of the best things ever: Pirates and cookies.

What?
Bake piratey cookies, take pictures of your creations and post them in the entry thread. The term "piratey cookies" pretty much defines the two main aspects of what your entries should look like. Everything else is only limited by your imagination. Recipe, shape and decorations are up to you. Be creative!

When?
Entries may be posted until 11:59 PM on January 31st.

How?
Bake piratey cookies. Take pictures (a card with your pirate name and ocean on it must be visible in each picture): two of the work in progress and one of the finished cookie. Post these images in the entry thread together with the information listed below:

Entries need to be posted in the entry thread and include the following:
  • Pirate name
  • Ocean
  • At least three photos : Two of the work in progress and one of the finished cookie. A card with your pirate name and ocean on it needs to be visible in each picture. (You may post a thumbnail of 150x150 directly. Please provide links to any images larger than that.)
  • The recipe: A short list of ingredients and other materials you used. (Decorations, etc.)

Rules
  • There can never be too many cookies. You may post up to 5 cookies and each cookie will count as a separate entry. You can only win one prize though. If you post more than one cookie, please do not create new posts. Instead, include all of your cookies in one post.
  • Entries need to be actual cookies. No cakes, pies, gingerbread ships houses or other complex structures. Cookies are normally flat and no larger than a standard plate. There is no set limit in inches or centimeters, but if your cookie looks more like a cake than a cookie you might lose points.
  • Entries need to be fully edible. You're of course welcome to decorate your cookies with chocolate, icing, food colors, nuts, almonds, etc. But everything you use has to be edible and commonly found on a cookie. Please ask in this thread, if you're unsure about a certain material.
  • Only entries posted in the entry thread will be regarded as valid.
  • Entry posts may be edited until the deadline. Entry posts edited after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Entries need to be your own work. Anyone posting someone else's work as their own will be disqualified and defnitely not get any cookies.

Judging
I'm looking for piratey cookies. First of all your entry needs to be a cookie. After the cookieness is established, I'll take a look at how piratey that cookie is and how yummy and appealing it looks. How much effort, thought and creativity was put into the creation of the entry will also play a role.

Prizes
I'm planning to award at least one Thalia doll, but might give out more, if there are too many yummy entries to decide. Additional prizes will also be awarded and may include Thalia eggs, trinkets, furniture, clothes and other more or less cookie related goodies.

Please post here, if you have any questions.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Thalia at Mar 23, 2009 9:19:54 PM]
[Jan 11, 2009 7:11:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Re: Piratey Cookies - Deadline January 31st - Win a Thalia doll! Reply to this Post

This is an evil plan to get me to send more cookies to the office isn't it?
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jan 11, 2009 7:32:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

Re: Piratey Cookies - Deadline January 31st - Win a Thalia doll! Reply to this Post

But everything you use has to be edible and commonly found on a cookie. Please ask in this thread, if you're unsure about a certain material.

With some of the cookbooks I have seen, you would be surprised what can actually be on/inside a cookie.

Edit: Those dirty little quote brackets attempted to not exist. I showed them.
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Edit 1 times, last edit by slntslayer at Jan 12, 2009 9:22:51 AM]
[Jan 12, 2009 9:22:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

YAY!

I was going stir-crazy from the lack of craft like events,
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Jan 12, 2009 9:31:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inkburrow

Yipee!! This made me smile!

I've been brainstorming with the guys at work. They're making wise cracks about my tiny oven though.
Queasy, Viridian
I live in my own little world. It's okay; they know me here.
[Jan 12, 2009 1:57:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Mmmmmmm... I may have to enter this.
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Jan 12, 2009 2:29:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Yes. I'll send you my requests.
[Jan 12, 2009 2:32:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Pirateknigh7

Can we just tell u what kind of cookie it is and describe it? pretty plz with a chocolate chip on the top xD
Skve on Hunter Ocean
Yes, it says Legendaryxx, but umm im kind of Skve now.. See? Skve.. fun to say eh? yeah you kids have fun :p
[Jan 12, 2009 3:00:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Can we just tell u what kind of cookie it is and describe it? pretty plz with a chocolate chip on the top xD
But half the fun is creating it! Especially when sprinkles are in involved...!
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Jan 12, 2009 3:05:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
freedomers

But half the fun is creating it! Especially when sprinkles are in involved...!

And the other have.. eating it! Especially when napkins are involded!! kids...
Swimchamp on
Hunta'

Haha... No.
[Jan 12, 2009 4:13:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malatise

If I make multiple cookies that fit into a theme, does that count as one entry? Because I keep seeing "cookie" as a singular cookie for the entry. Because my idea I would have to make multiple cookies to fit a certain theme to get the idea across, if that makes sense.

Malatise, SO of Flirts and Damsels
Lady of Wench
Cobalt Ocean

Fabulous Puppetar by Tilinka! :D
[Jan 12, 2009 7:13:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

/e looks around at her moving boxes and sighs

:( I'll try to work something up! But moving doesn't help my case x.x I look foward to seeing the awesome entries tho ^_^
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Jan 12, 2009 8:05:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

a) No! Not at all. It's a plan, but I see no evil involved.
b) Shoo, Aplo! The cookies are mine! All mine! Okay, okay. I might share one or two. Maybe.

But everything you use has to be edible and commonly found on a cookie. Please ask in this thread, if you're unsure about a certain material.

With some of the cookbooks I have seen, you would be surprised what can actually be on/inside a cookie.

I don't want to limit you too much, since I'm actually quite curious what you come up with, but I was of course thinking of "classic" cookies here - sweet, sugary, lovely, unhealthy stuff: sugar icing, marzipan, chocolate, nuts, almonds, etc. A cookie with a sausage glued on top might not qualify. So, if you have an exotic recipe in mind, it can't hurt to ask here before you start working on your entry.

Even though the chocolate chip is tempting, I'm afraid no. I need images to drool over.

If I make multiple cookies that fit into a theme, does that count as one entry? Because I keep seeing "cookie" as a singular cookie for the entry. Because my idea I would have to make multiple cookies to fit a certain theme to get the idea across, if that makes sense.

No, each single cookie will count as a separate entry. You're welcome to post images of additional cookies to go with the one which is your entry, but the additional cookies will not count as an entry and will be disregarded in judging. If there is more than one cookie in the photo of your "finished" shot, you need to identify clearly, which cookie counts as your entry. You can also create five different cookies fitting one theme and enter them, but each cookie will still be judged separately.
[Jan 13, 2009 5:17:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

a) No! Not at all. It's a plan, but I see no evil involved.
b) Shoo, Aplo! The cookies are mine! All mine! Okay, okay. I might share one or two. Maybe.

Whai whai wait! You mean it isn't against the law to send cookies Via mail? I may be able to make this after all.. Either that, or back to the search for people to feed my cookies to..

Is it cheating to have a 5 year old MAKE the cookies, as long as I'm doing the oven part (and shaping, but I need him for the eggs.. and eating)?

Ok family on a diet, but no reason not to spoil friends XD
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jan 13, 2009 5:22:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

I've already had to show Yetidave how to make gingerbread - now I have to teach him to make cookies?
Elyzabeth from Midnight Cerulean Ocean Obsidian
[Jan 14, 2009 4:41:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ocelotspot

I've already had to show Yetidave how to make gingerbread - now I have to teach him to make cookies?

Just have him use his newfound skills to make Gingerbread cookies.
Sallymae of Meridian
[Jan 14, 2009 8:51:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeeDeeIam

I burned noodles on the Noodle Doodle...This event might result in a visit from the fire department. >.>
DeeDeeIam, Siren's Song-Sage
Illium Eternae ;)
[Jan 14, 2009 11:26:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inkburrow

Does "piratey cookie" imply Puzzle Piratey cookie or strictly piratey?
Queasy, Viridian
I live in my own little world. It's okay; they know me here.
[Jan 15, 2009 1:30:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Typically in YPP contests "piratey" means either traditionally piratey (ships, swords, ocean, jolly rogers) or YPP-specific (nose-free faces, puzzle images, etc.).

I'm not Thalia, but I'm betting she'll accept either YPP or traditional pirate-inspired cookies. Probably not modern ships and weapons, though, even though there are modern pirates.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jan 15, 2009 2:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Is it cheating to have a 5 year old MAKE the cookies, as long as I'm doing the oven part (and shaping, but I need him for the eggs.. and eating)?

If he'd like to help, why not? (I remember how much fun I had with baking cookies as a kid..) You're welcome to work together with others for your entry, but only one person - the one listed in the entry post - can win a prize.

Polly wrote: 

Typically in YPP contests "piratey" means either traditionally piratey (ships, swords, ocean, jolly rogers) or YPP-specific (nose-free faces, puzzle images, etc.).

I'm not Thalia, but I'm betting she'll accept either YPP or traditional pirate-inspired cookies. Probably not modern ships and weapons, though, even though there are modern pirates.

Aye, Polly is entirely correct. Your cookies can be traditionally piratey or Puzzle Piratey, both is fine. No modern piracy though, please. (I admit, I didn't even think of that interpretation until now!)
[Jan 15, 2009 4:11:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

So we can't use any Letty Crocker cookie dough to make them?

Yes, they sell Letty's dough here.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jan 15, 2009 6:29:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sundancer

Wow it's like you made a contest just so I could have an excuse to do something I love to do! I regularly make themed sugar cookies for parties. I make special cookie cutter shapes out of cardboard and spend hours decorating. I know it sounds a little insane but I really like doing it!
I made these last minute for a pirate party, but they turned out pretty tasty (ask Bia if she shared!).

Actually I don't know if I will have time to make cookies in January, but I'd sure love to mail some to the OOO office. Err, except, if you don't work there then you won't get to eat them. :(
~Sundancer of Midnight~
[Jan 19, 2009 6:23:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

First of all your entry needs to be a cookie.

What would be defined as a cookie and what would be defined as a cake?

In general I cook cakes and seem to suck at making cookies. I'm hoping to adapt a cake recipe to be more "cookie-like" but I'd like to know what the border between a cokkie and a cake is ;)
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Jan 19, 2009 9:16:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

First of all your entry needs to be a cookie.

In general I cook cakes and seem to suck at making cookies. I'm hoping to adapt a cake recipe to be more "cookie-like" but I'd like to know what the border between a cokkie and a cake is ;)

I'm sure it consists mainly of shape.. Cookies are small, round, and can be cooked without edges on the pan, while Cakepans need edges. =D All I know.. Dunno if using a cakemix and making cookies is cheating, either.. Not like I can shape those ones, but just saying..
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jan 19, 2009 10:48:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Quitex wrote: 
So we can't use any Letty Crocker cookie dough to make them?
Yes, they sell Letty's dough here.

You may use store bought cookie mixes, just note that in your ingredient list then. (Even though, personally, I'd prefer to have more recipes to steal for my personal list of cookie recipes!) You still need to make the dough and cookies yourself - no decorating of store bought cookies.

Sundancer wrote: 
Yummy looking things

Om nom nom.

Sundancer also wrote: 
Actually I don't know if I will have time to make cookies in January, but I'd sure love to mail some to the OOO office. Err, except, if you don't work there then you won't get to eat them. :(

Actually no, I rarely get near the office, but I bet the office mates would still be delighted. :)

Guppyzra wrote: 

To quote myself: "Cookies are normally flat and no larger than a standard plate."
I won't give a definite limit in centimeters regarding height or width. But, as stated above, the common cookie rarely exceeds the size of a small plate (or the palm of your hand actually) and even though some may consist of more than one layer, cookies normally aren't higher than one centimeter. As Padme already said they're normally not made in a cake pan.
To illustrate that: Cake, Cookies - I think you get the idea.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thalia at Jan 20, 2009 5:57:00 PM]
[Jan 20, 2009 5:55:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Does anyone else read the "What qualifies as a cookie?" posts and think to themselves "A cookie is just a cookie, but Newtons are fruit and cake?"
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jan 20, 2009 9:28:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Nope- I'm still trying to decide if these are cake or cookie
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jan 21, 2009 9:25:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ellouisestar

Jaffa cakes were found to be cakes when we did an experiment on them in science when i was in year 11. They go hard as they go off unlike biscuits that go soft lol. Random little fact.

Also LOVE this event me and my 2 year old will be having some fun :)
Now Lulu!
So of the Crew Flirts and Damsels
Princess of the flag Wench!
[Jan 21, 2009 2:11:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Hee. That was my differentiation too. Cookies go soft as they go stale; cakes go hard as they go stale. It's probably nonsense, but it's a cute theory!
[Jan 21, 2009 2:17:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Hmm... well according to some of my UK friends... here in the US what I would say was a 'cookie' they would call it a 'cake,' 'bisquit' or a 'cookie' ... at my local grocery stores, the Jaffa cake type item (they go by a different name in the US) are sold in the cookie isle. /me drools over Jaffa cakes :D
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Jan 21, 2009 2:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 69   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates